BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ? Quad run from Catavina to the Pacific ?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 11:56 AM
? Quad run from Catavina to the Pacific ?

Anyone do this?
I'm making plans to tow my Ranger and two others with their RZR's to Catavina then take them to the Pacific and explore and camp for a few days. Maps and/or Photos would be great:tumble:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 12:13 PM

It's very doable, grab a Almanac and go have a adventure. Bring plenty of gas and you will find some moon dust. Any info that isn't current,like in the pass 3 weeks is useless, remember all the rain.
The road has been there for quite awhile just changes with every weather pattern that goes through.

Update us on the trimaran family.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 12:14 PM

David K has a map and details here. He left hwy 1 further north and headed for Puerto Canoas then joined the road from Catavina. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63594

The turn off north of Catavina at KM168 is a graded road to the coast at San Jose. Lots of options along the coast north and south to explore. Take plenty of gas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 01:42 PM
AAA Baja Map

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 01:50 PM
Then there is the unmapped road from Laguna Chapala to the Pacific...

You can see it on Google Earth and TW has taken the mileage on it...

[Edited on 11-1-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 02:07 PM

I think I would add "take plenty of water" to the gas reminder...
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 03:15 PM

Good maps, Thanks! We were told you can find a trail right behind the hotel. I'll look a little harder at google earth.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 04:19 PM

Russ, I am drooling all over myself:(, please post photos for those of us that cannot be there. JH:)
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 04:30 PM

Sounds like a fantastic adventure!!!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 04:44 PM

Bring surfboards and fishing gear. Lots of waves and fish on that stretch.:bounce::bounce::bounce::tumble:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 05:12 PM

There is a road behind the hotel that drops into a wash after a mile or so and it crosses the main road in about 6 miles. after joining the road to the coast after the wash there is a road to the left about 1.5 miles that goes to the San Telmo Onyx mine. I haven't been there for several years but the last timn I was there a father and son were working it. I didn't meet the father but the son was real friendly, let us pick out some Onyx to keep. It's maybe 12-15 miles to the mine. There is a road out to the coast from the mine to the west/south. It was part of the 1985 Baja 1000 race. Probably hasn't been used for years so it may not be passable. It's shown in the new almanac on page 7.

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by TW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
There is a road behind the hotel that drops into a wash after a mile or so and it crosses the main road in about 6 miles. after joining the road to the coast after the wash there is a road to the left about 1.5 miles that goes to the San Telmo Onyx mine. I haven't been there for several years but the last timn I was there a father and son were working it. I didn't meet the father but the son was real friendly, let us pick out some Onyx to keep. It's maybe 12-15 miles to the mine. There is a road out to the coast from the mine to the west/south. It was part of the 1985 Baja 1000 race. Probably hasn't been used for years so it may not be passable. It's shown in the new almanac on page 7.

The La Bocana marsh area (Zona Arquelogica on map) has some petroglyphs... see posts by Neal Johns

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 05:56 PM

[guess you missed the "quad" part!]

Fishing gear, surfboards, no problem. You must be thinking quad, as in not a downsized jeep.

This is a RZR.

PolarisRZR-DFR-Exhaust-1_small.jpg - 6kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:05 PM

Quad vs. a side-by-side... Great that there is so many off road choices!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
[guess you missed the "quad" part!]

Fishing gear, surfboards, no problem. You must be thinking quad, as in not a downsized jeep.

This is a RZR.

I shouldn't have said quad. we have side by sides or UTV's. All a set up to haul camp gear and fishing, surfing or kayaking gear too.
Our "path finder" is a bit rustic and always seems to find the senic route :lol: He has a real knack for blazing trails to get us there. even if we get lost for awhile. And those times seem to be the best part of any ride. Some call it "technical" which I think they mean as treacherous. If I can't make it he'll come back and find "the old man's trail". He hasn't had to come back for me yet
:wow:
I'm really looking forward to this ride.
David K, you're last map is what I wanted. Also got google earth to work. Thanks. I'm sure I'll post a shot or two. I'll have a GoPro shooting every 30 sec. and a movie cam with a good zoom and my favorite the Nikon P-510. Extra batteries and memory cards.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 07:07 PM
DK= el mapa !!! high five !!

my self, I run blind !! when I ask a local about the road and they look at my tires !! I run it !!LOL,,,K&T:cool:..no mucho povo...what a sec.....Palvo...for your oldtimers....K&T..:P

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by captkw]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 08:51 PM

Be prepared for flats.....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 09:11 PM

We all have 8 ply tires and run soft. Also a spare and repair kits. Thanks motoged I'll check the tire kit and make sure it ready.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 10:39 AM

I zoomed in on the map DK last posted and was able to make some full page detailed maps. Here's from the hotel ....

and the next

All the way to the Pacicic
:wow:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2012 at 04:58 PM

How much gas does it hold and how far can you go on a tank, just curious I've never been in one.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.