BajaNomad

TECATE COPS.....AT IT AGAIN

DENNIS - 11-5-2012 at 01:25 PM

This was just put up on the Punta Banda Bulletin board:

"My daughter and two male friends came down to visit me this past weekend. On their way home yesterday they took the Tecate route. At abt 7PM they reached the last block before turning up the hill to the border wait line, when they were pulled over by a police car w/ two cops inside. They were ordered to drive a couple blocks away and were charged w/ speeding at 2x the speed limit [they were not] and 2 other bogus infractions. They could be let go for a cash payment of USD$250. They opted to not go to the police station and negotiated the amount down to $90. They paid and went on their way.

For what its worth.

Paul d'H

rhintransit - 11-5-2012 at 01:36 PM

best advice, if you can do it, is to burst into tears and when they say, it's a very big fine and quote a price, say, I don't think I have enough money to get back to X. when they ask about the ATM route, say your purse/wallet was stolen. don't offer money. just play dumb and have an answer for everything. (it's amazing how fluent the cops can become if you don't even attempt Spanglish)

Mula - 11-5-2012 at 01:36 PM

The new Constitucion.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-5-2012 at 02:13 PM

Hold on is some one insinuating that there is a corrupt police officer in Mexico-say it aint so.

Udo - 11-5-2012 at 03:02 PM

I, as well as DK, have crossed through the Tecate area at different times, and days. And on the way to the border CBP crossing, we have to drive by the Tecate police station.
Neither one os us has even been pulled over in the city, and as often as we cross the border, the odds should be stacked against us.

Where do these crooked cops come from?
It's only a matter of 300 feet between the police station and the left turn to the CBP checkpoint.
What is wrong with just saying that you'll just drive by the police station (1/2 block away) to pay the fine...if you are guilty. If not guilty, you can discuss it in front of a judge.

DavidE - 11-5-2012 at 03:51 PM

Almost everything but the main boulevards in Tecate used to have twenty kilometer per hour speed limits. Wonder what it is now? Nothing worse than a sanctimonious crooked cop :(

Hook - 11-5-2012 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I, as well as DK, have crossed through the Tecate area at different times, and days. And on the way to the border CBP crossing, we have to drive by the Tecate police station.
Neither one os us has even been pulled over in the city, and as often as we cross the border, the odds should be stacked against us.

Where do these crooked cops come from?
It's only a matter of 300 feet between the police station and the left turn to the CBP checkpoint.
What is wrong with just saying that you'll just drive by the police station (1/2 block away) to pay the fine...if you are guilty. If not guilty, you can discuss it in front of a judge.

What are you saying...............that the reported incident didnt occur/never occurs in Tecate??? :?:

The reason they had them drive a few blocks away was probably to get AWAY from the police station to conduct the squeeze.

Christmas is coming, folks. Get used to it. Let the little lady carry all your money on her person and have a token amount in the wallet. Then, point out that "this is all I have".

It's laughable that people who make 1-2 trips to Mexico per year think that mordida doesnt exist. Those of us who live down here know the truth.

DENNIS - 11-5-2012 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Christmas is coming, folks. Get used to it. Let the little lady carry all your money on her person and have a token amount in the wallet. Then, point out that "this is all I have".

Make money on your computer. Lots of it. :light:

David K - 11-5-2012 at 04:27 PM

Udo is correct and I am going to Tecate again tomorrow (after I vote) with Max about the translation of our book into Spanish. [EDIT: Tecate trip today postponed]

Hook, to me Udo isn't saying it didn't happen... he said why let it happen...

Tell everyone that is going to drive into Baja to INSIST on seeing the judge... traffic fines are tiny and less than what the cops are asking you to pay. Rather than give in, if you don't want to pay anyone (and you are not guilty), then just wait it out... say no, and just keep smiling as if you know it is a scam.

I was stopped by a m/c cop when I made a (safe) turn during the confusion of the new border location, to get to the correct street, what was it, 7 years ago? He wanted money but was going through the "you broke the law" fear talk with me... I just smiled and patiently waited him out with logic, and he sent me on my way... and it wasn't very long as he wanted easier prey, like the people in Dennis' story

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by David K]

Udo - 11-5-2012 at 07:07 PM

DK is correct in his judgement.

Just be aware of your surroundings, and know where the police station is...literally a rock's throw from the border fence.

DavidE - 11-5-2012 at 07:15 PM

More "Used To Be's"...

The Tecate cops were always strict as hell. Run a stop sign, eighty-official-dollar multa pay at the commandancia, minus 40% for paying within 10 days of the infraccion. One of the boys at Duran got caught drunken driving. Two days in the bote, the car got towed and he paid the juez 150 dollars.

Wanted to see a urined-off cop? Try cutting in line when there is a backup at the border.

Once I parked at the State Tourism Office on the south side of the main park. Took a blue disabled spot. Truck had valid California disabled license plates AND a valid blue parking placard hanging from the mirror. The staff of the tourism office marveled as a tow truck showed up and started to hitch to the vehicle. The transito was standing and giving orders.

The tourism official yelled at the cop and the tow truck driver. The cop's face turned red, and the driver hauled butt. The tourism office helped me lodge a formal complaint. I received in the mail a formal letter of apology from the chief of police, with a dozen stamps and seals on it. I kept it on the dashboard. One time I parked outrageously illegal at "El Rey de Tamales" tamaleria. A motorcycle cop stopped and got off his bike. He took one look through the windshield and decided to motor on. I decided maybe the letter was authentic. BTW, the street was deserted so favor no rants.

Tecate had a reputation as a strict town all over northern Mexico. Very uptight aduaneros as well as city cops. I don't know what it is like 12 years later.

monoloco - 11-5-2012 at 07:29 PM

They wouldn't prey on gringos if they didn't play along so willingly. Seriously, grow a pair and demand to go to the comandancia. Everybody who pays a bribe makes a judgement that it is more expedient to participate in an illegal act than to take a few extra minutes and do what's right.

Guilty of DPM

thebajarunner - 11-5-2012 at 08:19 PM

"Driving a Porsche in Mexico" a very uncommon but deadly infraction.
Got a ticket in La Gloria years ago on a Sunday morn,
went to the station where the old dude mopping out the back room stood his swab against the counter, put on his Capitan hat, and wrote me an elaborate receipt for an $8 fine.
All legal and well done,
still not sure that DPM is against the law, however,....

DENNIS - 11-5-2012 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
They wouldn't prey on gringos if they didn't play along so willingly. Seriously, grow a pair and demand to go to the comandancia. Everybody who pays a bribe makes a judgement that it is more expedient to participate in an illegal act than to take a few extra minutes and do what's right.

Armed robbery has a way of clouding one's resolve to be in charge of a situation.

DavidE - 11-5-2012 at 09:29 PM

Willie Sutton

"Why do you rob banks Willie?"

"Cause that's where the money is"

monoloco - 11-6-2012 at 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Armed robbery has a way of clouding one's resolve to be in charge of a situation.
How is it armed robbery? Your post indicated that they, "opted not to go to the station". Nowhere did it say they had guns held on them.

DENNIS - 11-6-2012 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
How is it armed robbery? Your post indicated that they, "opted not to go to the station". Nowhere did it say they had guns held on them.

OK.....Armed Extortion. Sure would hate to malign these Peace Officers with inaccuracies.......especially when they're trying so hard to be peaceful.

monoloco - 11-6-2012 at 07:47 AM

I'm not defending the Tecate cops, but why would anyone be shocked that extortion exists when gringos so willingly open their wallets?

thebajarunner - 11-6-2012 at 08:45 AM

Does anyone know if they pay income tax on their mordida/income?
That is how our Feds busted most of the old time mobsters.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(had to add one letter to a word)

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by thebajarunner]

DENNIS - 11-6-2012 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not defending the Tecate cops, but why would anyone be shocked that extortion exists when gringos so willingly open their wallets?

Some people don't possess the list of options that other, more worldly individuals have and people react to intimidation differently. The whole mordida routine is based on fear of the unknown.

vandy - 11-6-2012 at 11:12 AM

I drove through Tecate on Sunday around noon, headed south.
A motorcycle cop passed me by for a Mexican non-stopper.
I had a sailboat on my roof, pretty obvious tourist, but I really stop at ALL the stop signs and don't go over 40 Kph until I'm WAY out of town.
Yeah, I may block traffic, but I don't pay any fines.

gallesram - 11-6-2012 at 12:12 PM

Not to digress but last week I was pulled over in La Paz for running the non-existent stop sign. After years of Constitution I knew the drill so just sat in the car and wouldn't move. I asked to go to the station but it was "closed". The only thing that freaked me a little bit was that the cop came back and started swinging his handcuffs around; that was a first. But he let me go after a few minutes. I did get a little nervous when I saw the cuffs, I must admit.

DavidE - 11-6-2012 at 12:43 PM

They have their act down pat. Older folks can start rubbing their left shoulder and chest and start wincing. This usually scares the living bejesus out of them and they spin their tires leaving.

jeans - 11-6-2012 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I was stopped by a m/c cop when I made a (safe) turn during the confusion of the new border location, to get to the correct street, what was it, 7 years ago?

10 or 11 yrs ago. But who's counting? :lol:

DENNIS - 11-6-2012 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
10 or 11 yrs ago. But who's counting? :lol:

Doesn't seem like that far back.. I'm saying seven years.....trying to think of what I was driving at the time....and I think I do. Burned up a clutch on the border fence hill in the little pickup I just gave to my worker.

Udo - 11-6-2012 at 05:16 PM

This is a great one to remember!

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
They have their act down pat. Older folks can start rubbing their left shoulder and chest and start wincing. This usually scares the living bejesus out of them and they spin their tires leaving.

Packoderm - 11-6-2012 at 05:41 PM

Quote:

"This is the big one! I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!"

willardguy - 11-6-2012 at 05:52 PM

:lol::lol::lol: you just dumb son,you just dumb. :lol::lol::lol: rip red!

Humboldt Chris and Robin - 11-9-2012 at 06:44 PM

We went through Tecate last week, Nov 1st early afternoon. No problems and we have never had any problems in Tecate - even with a knife in the console and a dog in our lap (the issues from the long running Tecate posts of the past).

The only place in Mexico I had a problem was Cancun, and the hysterical spouse trick did it right!

My turn..

msawin - 11-11-2012 at 12:52 PM

I hope this is not to long but I want you read this information.

I had read the starting post of this thread right before we headed south for two weeks in Loreto. Driving south thru town, I do complete stops and slow speed 20 mph. No problems..

Headed back home we spent the night [Friday 10th] in Ensenada at the Corona as always do, got a great start Saturday 5:00 am, but 16 miles south of Tecate we had the traffic jam south in the mountains where a section of about an 1/8 mile stretch of road work that was incomplete. Rained Friday night with dirt road wet. Tractor trucks trying drive thru slid to the side of the road stuck in the mud and the ones that tried to get by slid into the ones that were stuck. 2 hours no movement........ Than onto Tecate....

With 4 more stops and almost to the Mc-D right turn, Lights flashing they pull a Jeep with California plates in front of us a little ways to the right. The gringo gets out as we pass with his doctor scubs still on from work. OK sorry but a least he cleaned'em out for me in this last little stretch of Baja Highway for me....
******** the wife looks in the rear view mirror to see what I was looking at with 3 stops north to go. El compadre on my bumper.. On goes the lights and a bit of the horn action also. To the right I pull and out I go to meet him.
Drivers license, registration which he looks at and sticks in his jacket pocket. "Empty your pockets please" , so I pull my wallet out which he takes and sets on the hood of hit truck. There was an other sitting in the truck passenger side that was talking on the radio watching us. Next he pats my right pants pocket,which I have my 300 Paso's in and sticks his hand in my pocket and removes the Peso's. Hands it back to me and than does the same to my left pocket with my dollars ($1200.00]. He hands that back to me.
He than goes to the front of my Toyota FJ and talks with my wife and searches glove box items and compartments in the front area. returns to me at truck..

Here is where I thought it going to get rough. He knows I have cash, he has my drivers license and registration.
"Senior, you did not have your seat belt on"
... NO No No yes I did. If I didn't the buzzer rings and rings... " "Senior, you where driving to slow and me suspicious of your actions"

.... Do we need to go to the police station?

"oh no, is this the first time you have been stopped in Mexico?"
.... Yes
" Here is your license. Have a nice day. Odios."
... good buy.....

We leave. 25 minutes in the line to cross...

DENNIS - 11-11-2012 at 12:58 PM

Well........That one is hard to decipher. It certainly could have gone bad what with the bogus crap about seat belts and slow speeds being thrown into the mix, but there's no sense in trying to guess why he backed off. There had to be a reason.

Thanks for the report.

monoloco - 11-11-2012 at 02:43 PM

msawin, You did the right thing, I get sick of listening to people whine about being extorted after they willingly participated in a crime without ever once demanding to do the correct thing and go to the station.

reply #2

msawin - 11-11-2012 at 06:35 PM

Again sorry for long post but it was as long day and that was almost the funnest part. We make the trip thru and back too Tecate 2-3 times a year.
I never get pulled over. Ever. Here [usa] or there. I did not think it would happen to me because I pay attention to info posted here and don't drive fast.
I was going to the Police station. I was ready to go.

I thought about this all-day, on my second 14 hour day of my driving trip home. Why did he not try to get my cash. He had no idea of the amount in the roll but it was dollars and I had them.
So in a three block stretch 2 California plated autos pulled to the side in 5 minutes.
It is a shooting barrel. They see you coming with plenty of time to pick you out and pull you over. I just do not know what say here to warm YOU of what not to do.

DavidE - 11-11-2012 at 07:05 PM

The cops sometimes are pretty dumb. As they flip on the lights, they keep asking themselves "Can I get get away with this?" They fumble, they hem and they haw. A polite to-the-point attitude usually pops their balloon.

I once had "Porky Pig" pull me over just north of San Luis Potosi. A PFP. He walked up to my truck and said "Estas Obligitorio Cintarones" (seat belts are mandatory). I smiled at him and twanged my seat belt resting across my chest.

"¿Como se dice este?" I retorted (What is this called?) His face got as red as a beet. His partner started laughing so hard he gagged and coughed a fit.

Many years ago a Caminos Y Puentes pulled me over near Ensenada. "Your trailer is too long for Mexico"

I decided to do a Laurel & Hardy. I rummaged around the inside of the trailer finding a pencil and paper. "Can you draw me a map how to get to SCT in Ensenada for a permit?"

He stomped off. By the time I got back onto the highway he had pulled over a Mexican driver.

You can't let this stuff get to you. But I would have made out a federal complaint about the roadside search. ANY GREEN ANGEL has federal complaint forms and they are taken very seriously. The cops hate them. The gas stations also hate the forms.

"¿Como te llama tu nombre para poner queja federal?

You can play these jerks like a 12-string guitar if you learn how.

Lee - 11-12-2012 at 07:59 AM

Just wondering: is it a traffic offense to not comply with a cop when he sez empty your pockets?

Is everyone onboard with that? Any hardliners who'll say no?

Think I'll keep wearing my money belt.

DENNIS - 11-12-2012 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Just wondering: is it a traffic offense to not comply with a cop when he sez empty your pockets?

Is everyone onboard with that? Any hardliners who'll say no?

Think I'll keep wearing my money belt.

If nothing else, it gives us a new guideline for our own methods. Don't keep money, or pocket knives, in your pockets.

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by DENNIS]

Lee - 11-12-2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
If nothing else, it gives us a new guideline for our own methods. Don't keep money, or pocket knives, in your pockets.

Yes, understood.

My take: this cop was fishing. Why he didn't scam for money is anybody's guess. There's no logic or reason in these stops.

Had he found a knife, money would have probably come up.

Still, Dennis, would you consent to a pat down? Emptying your pockets?

This was an aggressive move for the cop. And I don't think he was that suspicious at the slowness of the driver. Maybe he was bored -- maybe showing off for the other cop?

DENNIS - 11-12-2012 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Still, Dennis, would you consent to a pat down? Emptying your pockets?

I would like to say, "Hell no," but the situation at the moment may have dictated otherwise. We can't lose sight of the fact that we're being confronted with an armed, lieing thief. That, to me, is a disadvantage......almost as much as being Gringo.

boe4fun - 11-12-2012 at 11:42 AM

Crossed at Tecate this past Saturday around noon - no problems with la policia. I drove slow once at the outskirts of town and continued driving that way all the way to the border. Border crossing took about 55 minutes. One question - is it legal by Mexican law for an officer to search you? I remember an old post where I think this was discussed.

DENNIS - 11-12-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
One question - is it legal by Mexican law for an officer to search you? I remember an old post where I think this was discussed.

There could, or would be so many extenuating circumstances that you'd have no defense without witnesses to every detail of the procedure. The police would make any claims necessary to justify their actions.

DavidE - 11-12-2012 at 12:40 PM

Lee a person has to pull the right chains.

"Empty your pockets"
"Why?"
"Just do it"
"OK. But after, you and I go to the oficina de turismo de Baja California".=

The cop would be out of his mind to press it from there but let's say he does...
At the tourism office on the south side of Tecate's main central park/plaza

(Describe what happened, the time the license number, the cop's ID. It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE in Mexico for a traffic cop cop to not provide ID when asked to do so)

Politely tell the tourism official you intend to go to the San Diego Union Tribune and tell the story to a reporter. The State Tourism Board is lock, stock and barrel hooked into big tourism business especially in Tijuana and Ensenada. These big boys do not want to have their income jeopardized by a 2-bit cop, and "headlines" screaming corrupt cops in Mexico. Ir isn't about law, it's about money. Big shots who eat mayors and police chiefs and fart traffic officers.

Then have the tourism people call the Green Angels. Tell them you have a car problem. Fill out a federal complaint form. The federal tourism board will scream at the cops, the state tourism board and let big tourism business (camara comercio de ciudades) know a federal complaint has been filed.

I guarantee that cop is going to wish he had been stillborn.

One of the first things I learned about Mexico is to never, ever get in the way of a rich powerful patron and his source of income.

And such a tack is not recommended for a simple citation. Only for serious stuff like theft, roadside searches where a cop's hands go into your pocket, or an extensive vehicle search. A drawn firearm is another no-no. So are esposas (handcuffs).

Tourism Contacts

bajaguy - 11-12-2012 at 04:04 PM

Good information, David

Print this out and carry with you in your car if you travel in Baja California (Norte).

I also suggest that you contact Director Juan Tintos Funke and Tecate Sub Delegation Sub Delegate Eva Raquel García Rocha if you have any problems in Tecate.

SECRETARÍA DE TURISMO DEL ESTADO DE BAJA CALIFORNIA
Juan Tintos Funcke
Secretario

José de Jesús Quiñónez Ramirez
Subsecretario de Turismo del Estado
jjquinonez@baja.gob.mx

Felizardo Palacios Pérez
Director de Mercadotecnia
Héctor Reyes Orrantia
Director de Planeación y Fomento a la Inversión
hreyes@baja.gob.mx

Maria Guadalupe Rivera Aguirre
Directora Administrativa
mgrivera@baja.gob.mx

Arturo Martínez Esquer
Subdirección de Facilitación y Asistencia al Turista
amartineze@baja.gob.mx

Roberto Karlo López Paéz
Subdirección de Comunicación y Relaciones Públicas
rklopez@baja.gob.mx

NUESTRAS OFICINAS
Oficina Central
Calle Juan Ruiz de Alarcón No.1572
Zona Río, C.P. 22320
Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664) 682-3367
Fax (664) 682-9061

OUR OFFICES
Central Office
Juan Ruiz de Alarcón St. No.1572
Zona Rio, C.P. 22320
Tijuana, B.C.
Phone (664) 682-3367
Fax (664) 682-9061

Rosarito Beach Delegation
Delegate:
Héctor Reyes Orrantía
rosaritotur@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Benito Juárez #907 Suite 29
Shopping Center "Oceana Plaza", Downtown Zip Code 22710
Playas de Rosarito, B.C.
Phone (661) 612-5222 and (661) 612-5127
Phone and Fax (661) 612-0200

Tecate Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Eva Raquel García Rocha
ergarcia@baja.gob.mx
Libertad Alley Downtown
Tecate, B.C.
Phone and Fax (665) 654-1095

Ensenada Delegation
Delegate:
José Angel León Zumaran
jleonz@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Lázaro Cárdenas and Las Rocas St. No.1477
Ensenada, B.C.
Phone (646) 172-5444
Fax (646) 172-5372

San Quintin Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Ramón Villavicencio Aguilar
rvillavicencio@baja.gob.mx
Carretera Transpeninsular
Km. 178.3 Col. Santa Fe
San Quintin valley, B.C
Phone (616) 165-3645
Fax (616) 165-3645

Mexicali Delegation
Delegate:
Eloy German Moreno
egmoreno@baja.gob.mx
Blvd. Benito Juárez No.1 and Fco. Montejano 2nd floor
Mexicali, B.C.
Phone (686) 566-1277 - 1116 - 1739 - 1705

San Felipe Sub Delegation
Sub Delegate:
Linda Perez Garcia
Ave. Mar de Cortés y Calzada Chetumal # 101
Local 2, Zona Centro. C.P. 21850
San Felipe, B.C.
Phone (686) 577-1865
and (686) 577-1155

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by bajaguy]

DavidE - 11-12-2012 at 05:46 PM

I for one have copied this list onto the hard drive to be printed when I get to an empresora.

Thank You Bajaguy!!!

And these folks have fluent English speakers at hand.

But they need data.

1. When date & the hour
2. Where
3. The name of the cop and or his badge number
4. License plate of the cop car and or the unit number
5. Did the cop bring up the words, Multa, Dinero, Lana, Pesos, Dolares?
6. He is allowed to say infraccion, or delito.
7. He is allowed by law to take your driver license. Sorry but that's the law in all 31 states.
8. He can ask to see your auto registration. He cannot with hold the paperwork from you,
9. Point 8 is different for Mexican placard motor vehicles. He can keep the paperwork.
10. Patting his holster, brandishing handcuffs is considered intimidation a serious offense.

Two or three cops wrung through the official wringer will put a halt to this, UNLESS the city fathers don't care. Towns like San Quintin and Constitucion do not have the intense tourist trade nor rich powerful people who take harassment of tourists as seriously as city fathers in Tijuana, Ensenada, La Paz, or the cape. Keep this in mind. Tecate wants more tourists but it is the state tourism board that is the "presence" there. Patrones in Ensenada watch Tecate because it is a corridor for tourists to get to the Guadalupe Valley and Ensenada.

I have witnessed (at a respectful distance) a really peeed-off dressing down of a police chief by a couple of bigwigs. The language was ugly and the threats scary. Too bad it is all about money and not about justice. The Mexican public gets short changed, but what the hell a julia malo who screws with gringos is most likely doing the same to Mexicanos

luv2fish - 11-12-2012 at 08:05 PM

Quote:

http://www.afntijuana.info/seguridad/14048_dan_de_baja_a_pol...

The BEST policy and most important thing ....................

MrBillM - 11-12-2012 at 09:19 PM

Is whether the Mordida overture is Reasonable under the circumstances.

And, therefore, worth a "Pay and GO".

As long as they resist the temptation to be TOO greedy, I'll play.

And pay.

Paulina - 11-12-2012 at 09:37 PM

Quote:

..unless they are "high pockets" and you have two of them, like I do. ;D

P>*)))>{

DavidE - 11-13-2012 at 01:54 AM

Luv2fish's link is the perfect example of 2-faced justice. Had the infracciones been directed at tourists (the cop was citing commercial vehicles for double parking) for shaking them down for frivolous or fictitious infracciones this is when the biggies COULD step in and tell the juez his cajones are resting in the palm of their hand.

A Tecate migra thought he could shake me down. So I started carrying my Panasonic voice recorder in my shirt pocket. One day he waved me over and told me "Estas detener" you are under arrest.

Oh what a conversation. The charge (utterly fabricated), an elaborate plan for him to follow me to an ATM machine and extract money for la mordida. I mispronounced his name on purpose. He corrected me several times. I complained I was hard of hearing. He fairly shouted instructions. Including the exact route to get from the INM office to the BanaMex.

I used an ATM card with no balance. The machine rejected it. The recorder got every single curse and threat.

He released me in disgust and warned me he would shoot me if he ever saw me again.

I went to the tourism office doing my damndest to not laugh and blow it. They listened to the tape and called the PGR. The feds showed up a half hour later. We went to the immigration office. I can tell you for a fact the face of the Jefa (it was a woman) went pure white. They arrested the jerk (trust me the sweat and and the shaking were not faked) they cuffed him and placed him in the back of a car and drove off. I signed a federal complaint. A few days later I was told the guy was in the reclusorio awaiting trial. Not by officials, but by influential Mexicans on the US side.

This is the end...

msawin - 11-14-2012 at 09:28 PM

Ok this is it..
Thank you Baja Guy for the list and phone numbers, DavidE yes...
The day before we drove home I checked this link for any updates on info that might be useful driving north. To just have a name like Eva Rocha in the back of your brain to pull out if needed...

Again the road north was shut down for over two hours. No Calif. plated cars driving from the south into Tecate. The jeep in front of me I think was a Gringo that worked in Tecate. He was minutes ahead of me. I was car #2 with Cal. plates. The second street past the jeep, a truck got me. While the agent talking with me an other Polica car pulled up next to my car and stopped and the driver looked in at my wife and drove on. This was all planed out. The first two Calif Plated cars coming into town stopped.

My wife did not feel intimidated or bothered when the Polica officer talked with her and searched the front of my car nor did I. We will drive back south Thru Tecate in February...

searced the fr of car ???

captkw - 11-14-2012 at 09:56 PM

under the hood ?

Bob and Susan - 11-15-2012 at 06:48 AM

i drove thru monday...no problems...no cops waiting on every corner

wait was 45 minutes...but later it increased

Alm - 11-15-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
"Your trailer is too long for Mexico"

I decided to do a Laurel & Hardy. I rummaged around the inside of the trailer finding a pencil and paper. "Can you draw me a map how to get to SCT in Ensenada for a permit?"

What is SCT?

DENNIS - 11-15-2012 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
To just have a name like Eva Rocha in the back of your brain to pull out if needed...

Oh well....you're stuck there for a while so you may as well throw down a gauntlet or two. The cop won't mind. :lol:

DENNIS - 11-15-2012 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
What is SCT?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_of_Communications_and_Transportation_(Mexico)

MexicoTed - 11-15-2012 at 10:33 PM

We had a caravan of three cars full of gringos drive through Tecate on Sunday, Nov. 11th. Made sure we stopped at every stop sign and drove slow. I saw three motorcycle cops at three different areas on the way to the border. All just checked me out and had no reason to pull any of us over.

The border wait was the worst I have ever seen in Tecate. 2 1/2 hours at 2:30pm......

Lee - 11-15-2012 at 11:05 PM

I get the feeling that who some drive through Tecate believe that if they obey the speed limit, come to a full and complete stop at stop signs, and drive extra slow, then there will be no reason for Tecate cop's to pull them over. Delusional. And lucky.

Call me a pessimist. I do all the above and anytime I drive through Tecate, or CC, I expect to be stopped.

DavidE - 11-16-2012 at 05:59 AM

It may be helpful to complain directly to one of the "Biggies", like LA Cetto, El Rey Sol, Hotel Coral, and there are more, hopefully others will chime in here. Tell someone in authority there that "you might not be back because of all the problems you have had in Tecate".

The owners of these places get together frequently or dar chisme on the telephone. Eventually the jefes in Tecate are going to get a most unpleasant telephone call. Krap runs downhill and will get smeared all over the police chief.

It's not fun to interrupt an otherwise perfect trip to complain to the state tourism board and find a Green Angel to file a federal complaint. But an astonishing few people do it, and that is the one and only problem getting in the way of fixing this for good. I really doubt the bigwigs in Ensenada really took a scattered bit of gossip seriously. Just let people in authority know "I'm scared to come because of the Tecate cops". You can bet your sweet bippy this is going to work its way upwards to the people who really run the state. Tourism in the Guadalupe valley lives and dies by Mex 3 and the big wheels of tourism businesses can make the Tecate police chief one of the unhappier souls on the face of the earth.

Alm - 11-16-2012 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
It's not fun to interrupt an otherwise perfect trip to complain to the state tourism board and find a Green Angel to file a federal complaint. But an astonishing few people do it...

No, it's not fun. Consider that astonishing few gringos know this country well, even if they own a vacation property there. Often they are unwilling to do anything because their Spanish doesn't go beyond phrases like "dos cervezaz por favor" :)

David, is there any source other than wandering "angels" to get those forms, and where one normally should take it to?

DENNIS - 11-16-2012 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
It may be helpful to complain directly to one of the "Biggies", like LA Cetto, El Rey Sol, Hotel Coral, and there are more, hopefully others will chime in here.

The single dissenting voice will be lost in the wind. What is needed is solidarity....an organized group of voices, such as a travel club, to be heard and respected. I'm sure that a well composed letter of intent to avoid all activities between the Tecate border gate and Ensenada from the Vagabundos [for instance] would get everybodys attention.

[Edited on 11-16-2012 by DENNIS]

DavidE - 11-16-2012 at 12:52 PM

I'm not so sure Dennis. A word to a hotel manager, the owner of a large and popular tourist restaurant will not be forgotten. If more than one tells an influential business owner "Sorry but I may not be back" it sticks in their craw.

But of course as far as the club thing is concerned, sure it would pack wallop. But everyone needs to pitch-in, especially those folks who get nailed. I've talked to too many people that get terrified when they get pulled over. They attempt feeble bargaining, get a insanely high quoted "infraccion" reduced to merely a totally outrageous amount of money and then head for the border with their tail (and tale) between their legs. It isn't just that one cop that gets his pump primed either -- cops gossip and the lure of easy money will encourage others to do the same. Do I want to spend three hours somewhere running a prick through the reamer? Hell No.

bacquito - 11-16-2012 at 01:47 PM

I don't know how many times I have crossed Tecate but in 20 years it is "mucho" and I have never been stopped and this is true, with one exception in Vera Cruz, for my visits all over Mexico. I have traveled Mexico since the early 70's.

DENNIS - 11-16-2012 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
If more than one tells an influential business owner "Sorry but I may not be back" it sticks in their craw.

That's pretty much what I meant, David. Again, I'll use the term, "Solidarity." Americans have a tough time forming this, but it would help in this case.