BajaNomad

Tecate Police / Leatherman alert

Paulina - 11-27-2012 at 07:45 PM

I was asked to post the following from an email I received today:

"MAYBE YOU CAN POST THIS ON BAJA NOMAD, TECATE COPS STOPPED THIS FRIEND OF MINE WHO HAS A PLACE AT DAGGARDS AND TOLD HIM TO GET OUT OF HIS TRUCK. HE HAD A LEATHERMAN KNIFE ON HIS BELT AND THEY GAVE HIM THE SAME OLD BS ABOUT IT BEING A FELONY AND HE WAS GOING TO PRISON. HE WANTED 5000 PESOS BUT THEY TOLD HIM THEY ONLY HAD 4000 SO HE TOOK IT, GAVE HIM BACK HIS KNIFE AND LET HIM GO. THEY GOT HIS FRIEND FOR $50.00 FOR NO SEAT BELT EVEN THOUGH HE HAD IT ON. THEY ALSO GOT MY OTHER FRIEND FOR 4000 PESOS FOR A 3 INCH POCKET KNIFE. TECATE IS NOT A TOWN FOR TOURISTS TO TRAVEL THROUGH."

DENNIS - 11-27-2012 at 07:48 PM

Tecate has turned into a highway robbery sht-hole. I won't go there any more.

dtbushpilot - 11-27-2012 at 07:50 PM

Story about what happened to a "friend of a friend and his friend"?

Bajaboy - 11-27-2012 at 07:51 PM

I don't get it....I have barely seen a cop in Tecate let alone had any issues. I also know better than to have a pocket knife in my possession while driving in Baja. I know Paulina is only relaying info...maybe the source could post here so we could ask more questions such as where, when, time of day, etc.

Pacifico - 11-27-2012 at 08:00 PM

Good to be aware of, but I've never had a problem in Tecate. Guess I've been lucky...

vacaenbaja - 11-27-2012 at 08:09 PM

I just reurned to the US via Tecate. After reading all the negative post I was very cautious. I saw lots of motorcycle
cops working the line at the boarder lighting up cars.
I guess I was lucky. Every one told me that the croassing at
Tecate was very fast. Well i waited almost 3 hours.
I did not know that they only have two lanes. I thoght that Otay Mesa was bad. When I fanally got to the crossing I was
gruffly asked for my papers. and then the guy went off asking me where I was coming from and why am I crossing here and not at San Ysidro. When I told them that various people had advised me that this way was faster he gave me
a sideways look of disbelief saying we only have two lanes here! You believed peoples heresay about where to cross?He was getting more peeed by the minute. He did not so much as
just glance at the inside of the car. Checked nothing and
believed my heresay that I was bringing nothing back from
Mexico but fish. The things some people will believe!
I for one will not be back in search of a quicker way to cross.
I think I will go the SENTRI pass route.

bajaguy - 11-27-2012 at 08:10 PM

Instead of posting or writing friends, they should be writing to the Secretary of Tourism for Baja:

Juan Tintos Funcke
jtintos@baja.gob.mx

The Secretary of Public Safety
(Secretaria de Seguridad Publica)

Lic. Daniel de la Rosa Anaya
ddelarosa@baja.gob.mx

And the Mayor (Presidente) of Tecate

Arq. Javier Ignacio Urbalejo Cinco
javier.urbalejo@tecate.gob.mx
ju5@hotmail.com

Paulina - 11-27-2012 at 08:16 PM

We just crossed through Tecate yesterday at 6am. We had our dogs in the backseat of our big truck until we stopped at the Pemex. After fueling up, Dern put the dogs in the back, in the shell. He wasn't up to any confrontations, unlike someone else I know. Why ask for trouble, I guess.

Anyway, we saw two Police cars and one Police motorcycle from the Pemex to the border. We were both wearing our seat belts, and driving the speed limit and made exaggerated stops at every sign. Just in case.

We pulled into our place in line at 6:30, actually two more police cars drove by as we were waiting, it took 1:20 to cross.

As Zac says, I'm just the messenger as far as my other post goes. However, it is nice to know that Leatherman tools are now on the gringo/felon/prison time list.

P>*)))>{

motoged - 11-27-2012 at 08:47 PM

A military checkpoint north of Loreto several years ago provided an opportunity for the jefe to check out my tankbag....and his eyes lit up when he saw my Leatherman.....poor guy really wanted one....and I can't blame him....boys like those toys :biggrin:

He put it back and bid me adios...:cool:

durrelllrobert - 11-27-2012 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
I saw lots of motorcycle

Yep, that's where they got me for not wearing a seatbelt. Motorcycle just driving between the 2 rows of cars checking everone out. Fortunately I showed him that my wallet was empty ($ hidden) so I couldn't pay my 250 p fine.

Thanksgiving morning

Howard - 11-27-2012 at 09:09 PM

Crossed Northbound turkey morning and had my lab in the back of my SUV. Saw several patrol cars and had no problems, just like always, going through town. Now to make everyone jealous, there was only one car in line ahead of me and the border patrol guy was pleasant and I was gone in 30 seconds.

In summation, I have never had a problem in Tecate so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Everyone posts their bad experiences so I thought I would post a good one.

DianaT - 11-27-2012 at 09:30 PM

I guess we are also among the lucky. We crossed at Tecate the day after Thanksgiving with two dogs --- one in the back seat of our Subaru and one on the console between us. We passed a number of police vehicles without incident.

I usually don't pay too much attention to how long it takes to cross, but this time I did look. We entered the almost non-existent line at 12:54 and we were saying good bye to the custom's agent at 12:57.

DENNIS - 11-27-2012 at 09:46 PM

Are all of these good fortune reports a rebuttal to the first post or are they just efforts to share happiness?
If they're the former, perhaps it would just cut to the chase by calling the story a lie.
If it's the latter, maybe they should be followed with some puppy and sunset pictures.

DianaT - 11-27-2012 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Are all of these good fortune reports a rebuttal to the first post or are they just efforts to share happiness?
If they're the former, perhaps it would just cut to the chase by calling the story a lie.
If it's the latter, maybe they should be followed with some puppy and sunset pictures.

Oh cynical one --- I would not question someone else's experience ever --- it is their experience and I don't question it. I have had our experiences questioned by some and questioned as to if they are real and that stinks!

But just because we have had very positive experiences for the most part in Tecate, especially with any police encounters, I refuse to post my latest cute puppy pictures.

But point well taken, perhaps the positive experiences did not belong in this thread because these people did NOT have good experiences and it was NOT their fault. It was what it was.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by DianaT]

willardguy - 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM

soooo, not open for rebuttal or discussion because it wasnt in the first person? is that the deal?

DianaT - 11-27-2012 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
soooo, not open for rebuttal or discussion because it wasnt in the first person? is that the deal?

I don't think so. For me Dennis' post slapped me in the face--- in a positive way. I so well know what it is like to post about a not so positive experience somewhere in Baja and have certain other people who were NOT there post about how I must be wrong because they have had nothing but positive experiences in the same places --- it has happened to the point of a post being called fanciful, a lie and our fault.

So now I saw my positive post as being much in the same light --- sort of like, well since we have had positive experiences, what is wrong with these people---- My bad, as if what was posted here, third party or not, was what happened, it is what happened and it was not positive!

David K - 11-27-2012 at 10:46 PM

It is called a FORUM people... not a newspaper. Thank you Paulina for passing out that 'news'... and thank you Diana T and others for pasing out your findings.

Dennis, you don't have anything to fear, but go ahead and boycott Tecate based on second or third hand Mexico horror stories...

It may have happened, but allowing the cops to have their way with you is just validating their crime... and it is Christmas, so that kind of crime may be on the rise.

I (one time) got pulled over by a Tecate m/c cop and was able to talk myself out of the unjust (IMO) atttempt at giving me a ticket or paying a mordita (making a turn).

Stand your ground, if you did nothing wrong, be patient... and by all means, don't have any weapons (or tools) on you!!! Really people, and do I need to also say, leave the dope at home and the paraphanalia you use to smoke it, too... Mexico is another country... what you can do in the USA does not mean you can do it in Mexico.... and there is no ACLU to declare you a victim and get you out of jail, either.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by David K]

Bajaboy - 11-27-2012 at 10:48 PM

Quote:

Let's see...person could not post on Nomads himself, types in ALL CAPS, and is referring to a friend....I'll call bs....at some level.

DianaT - 11-27-2012 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
soooo, unless you had a similar bad experience, the proper response is no response at all. im good with that!:spingrin:

I don't think so --- but maybe just a post attempting to understand the experience --- maybe some empathy. Even sharing the positive experience is not necessarily ugly, if there is also an acknowledgement and acceptance of someone's different experience.

It is the arrogance that says my experience was GOOD so there must be something wrong with you attitude that is problematic. Having been on the receiving end of that, I know how ugly that is.

In this case, I believe that that was not the intention of Howard when he posted his positive experience and it was also not my intention, but then I saw how it could be interpreted that way. There are some around here who really believe that they "know" what happened any and all the time.

Howard - 11-28-2012 at 12:19 AM

Excuuuuze me for posting a first hand and positive experience on Tecate. My post was 100% simply my experience and nothing more intended. If some people have had unpleasant experiences in Tecate, I do not question that at all and appreciate you letting the rest of us know what to look out for.

Now for the minority of people on this forum, it's you, the unhappy people, who live to complain and make mountains out of mole hills, think about considering the glass half full, not half empty and stop bringing everyone else down. I am not sure if you react so absurdly just to get attention, I just don't know what your motivation is and personally don't care.

Thank you to all the positive people who use this forum that it was intended for and I assume that if to exchange and share information about Baja so we all can experience a safe and fun time. Es la verdad?

Love, peace and tacos

DavidE - 11-28-2012 at 12:22 AM

A pregunta por favor...

Why do these things ALWAYS end up being second or fifth hand related or posted by a newbie who then goes away and never returns?

Even Transitos Tecatitos are not stupid enough to try and fine a passenger for not wearing a seat belt. There is and never has been a law anywhere in Mexico that even mentions non-drivers and seat belts.

After standing in a parking lot of a restaurant in Ciudad Constitucion for TEN MINUTES with a transito and seeing seven gringos flagrantly breaking the law (one guy towing a three axle boat was doing around 50 mph downtown on the main street not the paralelo), and two motorhomes that made illegal left turns into a gasolinera, I have to wonder about how tightly many gringos have their head screwed on.

Many towns have extremely strict laws about the display of a machete or a knife. They should be kept hidden. Tecate has no industry downtown that allows the display of a knife.

And, it is close to Navidad. A big biter has a mistress to support, jewelry to buy, a casa chica to maintain. So the possibility of getting nipped increases and even though Mexicanos may accelerate and do 70 through an amber traffic light, your doing 50 kph in a 30 zone makes a stop justified. After all the cop will have to work his butt off to squeeze a hundred pesos out of the light blower, and merely sing a song of six pence to milk a cow with the gringo.

bill erhardt - 11-28-2012 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
......After all the cop will have to work his butt off to squeeze a hundred pesos out of the light blower, and merely sing a song of six pence to milk a cow with the gringo.

A good line, and right on the money. Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-28-2012 at 06:33 AM

Very interesting topic, it always amuses me that machete and hammer were openly carried yet a leatherman could get you in a bind. When the border wait road rage thing sept-dec 2001 happened many of the daily border crossers took to long screw drivers and tire irons.I thought there would be an opportunity to types of hidden weapons one could carry in Baja. The obvious choice being a small pistol in the shape of a cell phone. So I got on the web to see if any one had thought of that and sure enough a cartel leader had already been caught with 1. If you want to have a holstered knife in Mx the best way is a folded (non straight blade) multipurpose tool with a blade no longer then 4 inches. Hope this helps-have a great day.

Marla Daily - 11-28-2012 at 06:33 AM

We are one of the cars (F250 4WD with camper shell, often towing a Wells Cargo trailer) that has had more trouble than not in Tecate these last two years. We are now EXPECT to get stopped. We have always politely refused to pay their "fines". We also politely refused to follow them to the ATM to get cash—yes it was demanded we do that as well since we had no cash. Of our alleged egregious violations (running a stop sign, speeding), as variously claimed by motorcycle cops, cops in a truck, and cops in a car, we have only been "guilty" of having our dogs in the cab with us. That too we simply and politely refused to pay in what resulted in a Mexican stand-off. The cops left first. It is Russian Roulette transiting Tecate now. Cops are greedy; too often they are successful in shaking down cars with US plate. Sad.

Dogs

jkruk - 11-28-2012 at 06:53 AM

What is the law regarding Dogs in cars?? My truck, going down is usually so full the back seat is the only place left for the big guy.

IMO

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 06:56 AM

sounds like alot of folks are not calling or email the tourest department !! they do take tourest biz important !!! and about a knife .. never had a problem with BIG fishing knifes.. Yo pescador !!

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by captkw]

Marla Daily - 11-28-2012 at 07:01 AM

Although I do not know what the law actually is, one of our cop stops was for the alleged violation of dogs in the cab of our truck (in the seat behind the front seats). We were told our dogs must ride in the camper, and he made us put them in it. I firmly believe this is patently untrue and just an excuse to shake down gringos who get scared and pay up. We complied and refused to pay. Once we got into the border line awaiting crossing, the doggies rejoined us in the cab.

It is rare to see a Mexican in a vehicle with a dog unless maybe he is a rancher and there is a dog in the back of an open pick-up. Traveling with dogs in a car is much more of a gringo activity—one which is now targeted as "illegal", at least by Tecate cops!

mtgoat666 - 11-28-2012 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
Although I do not know what the law actually is, one of our cop stops was for the alleged violation of dogs in the cab of our truck (in the seat behind the front seats). We were told our dogs must ride in the camper, and he made us put them in it. I firmly believe this is patently untrue

"Although I do not know what the law actually is,... I firmly believe this is patently untrue" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

marla, thank you for the morning funny!

Hook - 11-28-2012 at 07:24 AM

Remember, folks.....

Christmas is coming,
the geese are driving fat.
The cops would like some money
for their kid's.....and more than that.

If anyone doubts that this was a shakedown, then why was the Leatherman returned to the owner, if it was illegal?

Silly gringo. Never keep that much in your wallet for the cop to see.

Thanks for all information. Information is good.

Marc - 11-28-2012 at 07:45 AM

My only problem at Tecate is our ass***e border agents.

DianaT - 11-28-2012 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt

........ Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

Sometimes, well, it is just easier like being stopped on a holiday weekend miles down the road, when one would have to drive back to Ensenada and stay there over the weekend. Does that make it right? I don't think so, nor does it necessarily make it wrong. It is part of the system, I fear.

Paying mordida is not just for the gringos. Over the years we have known and seen many locals pay mordida. Once on the mainland we hired a taxi driver to be a tour guide for a day and during that day, he paid mordida three different times. He grumbled, but said it was not worth taking time away from his business to fight it.

Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
We are one of the cars (F250 4WD with camper shell, often towing a Wells Cargo trailer) that has had more trouble than not in Tecate these last two years. We are now EXPECT to get stopped. We have always politely refused to pay their "fines". We also politely refused to follow them to the ATM to get cash—yes it was demanded we do that as well since we had no cash. Of our alleged egregious violations (running a stop sign, speeding), as variously claimed by motorcycle cops, cops in a truck, and cops in a car, we have only been "guilty" of having our dogs in the cab with us. That too we simply and politely refused to pay in what resulted in a Mexican stand-off. The cops left first. It is Russian Roulette transiting Tecate now. Cops are greedy; too often they are successful in shaking down cars with US plate. Sad.

Marla.........have you done anything about your experiences other than post here?????......have you protested to the chief of police, the mayor, the state director of tourism or the governor of Baja?????.....You can't expect anything positive to happen unless you take steps to solve the problem.

If you can take the time to post here on Nomads, you can take the time to send an e-mail to the officials.

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Sometimes, well, it is just easier like being stopped on a holiday weekend miles down the road, when one would have to drive back to Ensenada and stay there over the weekend. Does that make it right? I don't think so, nor does it necessarily make it wrong. It is part of the system, I fear.

Paying mordida is not just for the gringos. Over the years we have known and seen many locals pay mordida. Once on the mainland we hired a taxi driver to be a tour guide for a day and during that day, he paid mordida three different times. He grumbled, but said it was not worth taking time away from his business to fight it.

Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

Asking for (extortion), or paying (a bribe) mordita is a crime in Mexico. Would you offer to pay a bribe in the US????? I think not. Call their bluff if you are right, tell them to write a ticket and you will pay officially if you are wrong.

Justify it however you want, everyone who pays mordita is contributing to the problem....yeah, look in the mirror, that's you.

Ateo - 11-28-2012 at 09:27 AM

I deserved to be pulled over last month when I was in Tecate. As I was coming into town from the Ensenada road, winding down the final stretch into Tecate proper where you make a hard left by an OXXO. There was a billboard with a women's breasts prominently displayed overhead. I peaked at it for one second and I blew thru a stop sign and immediately thought, "oh crap, I'm getting pulled over". Little did I know my wife's wrath would be harsher than a police stop.

Seriously though, it was a mistake and I was embarrassed I made it. There wasn't cross traffic at the stop sign, it was just a stop sign randomly placed....

Just a reminder to always be paying attention to the road and not breasts. :tumble::tumble:

mulegemichael - 11-28-2012 at 09:42 AM

off all the dozens and dozens and dozens of times we've passed through tecate over the years, we've never once been hassled there by anyone..never...but now y'all got me looking over my shoulder....especially since we'll be passing through there this next week.

Lee - 11-28-2012 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Every time a gringo antes up on mordida it perpetuates the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Justify it however you want, everyone who pays mordita is contributing to the problem....yeah, look in the mirror, that's you.

And the problem is the moral corruption of communities caused by mordida paying gringoes. Tragic.

the bite !!

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 09:51 AM

IMO its always worse right before xmas & valatines day...just a saying what I've noticed........

desertcpl - 11-28-2012 at 09:52 AM

Quote:

Have every one noticed that Dennis the last few days is getting back to is old form,, glad he is feeling better

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
And the problem is the moral corruption of communities caused by mordida paying gringoes. Tragic.

Lee.....I think the problem is that the majority of residents here (both Mexican and Americans/Canadians do not invest in their communities.

I don't see a community based/wide effort to pick up trash or paint over graffitti. I see municipal, state and federal workers drive by the same burnt out streetlight or stoplight or driving over the same pothole without reporting or fixing it......Until the residents invest, nothing will change.

willardguy - 11-28-2012 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I deserved to be pulled over last month when I was in Tecate. As I was coming into town from the Ensenada road, winding down the final stretch into Tecate proper where you make a hard left by an OXXO. There was a billboard with a women's breasts prominently displayed overhead. I peaked at it for one second and I blew thru a stop sign and immediately thought, "oh crap, I'm getting pulled over". Little did I know my wife's wrath would be harsher than a police stop.

Seriously though, it was a mistake and I was embarrassed I made it. There wasn't cross traffic at the stop sign, it was just a stop sign randomly placed....

Just a reminder to always be paying attention to the road and not breasts. :tumble::tumble:
yeah that billboard will get ya everytime!

Lee - 11-28-2012 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
I see municipal, state and federal workers drive by the same burnt out streetlight or stoplight or driving over the same pothole without reporting or fixing it......Until the residents invest, nothing will change.

Often wonder about these conditions and between all the paid workers, and community people, how or why they choose to live in squalor, relatively speaking. Like, do they have standards, and are they ''lower,'' or are gringoes judging by NOB standards.

Or, driving behind a MX car and seeing a shopping bag full of garbage come flying out the passenger window.

DianaT - 11-28-2012 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Asking for (extortion), or paying (a bribe) mordita is a crime in Mexico. Would you offer to pay a bribe in the US????? I think not. Call their bluff if you are right, tell them to write a ticket and you will pay officially if you are wrong.

Confirmed--- looked in the mirror, and yup, I have paid mordida at times. Do I feel the least bit of trouble over having done so, no, not at all, except when we got stung when it was not necessary and we knew better.

Just a few examples. We even helped our taxi driver/ guide out with the modida he paid. We also paid mordida to expedite the importation of our vehicle in Honduras --- also illegal there, but it is the way it is. We paid mordida in Guatemala to get our passports back and our work papers so we could leave the country on vacation--- also illegal there. We paid mordida to a customs official at the border of Belize to keep our Guatemala car papers in his desk so we could take a quick trip into Belize. We paid mordida to a Honduran customs official to get our dog out of the airport.

Does that make paying mordida right, moral or anything else? No --- but sometimes it is a way of life in some places for everyone. IMHO, it is not the fault of gringos in any of the other countries. It is a rather entrenched part of their systems for better or worse.

In the US, would I offer an official a bribe? No, bribery is done on a very large scale in our country and called by different names.

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 10:28 AM

Quote:

Confirmed--- looked in the mirror, and yup, I have paid mordida at times. Do I feel the least bit of trouble over having done so, no, not at all, except when we got stung when it was not necessary and we knew better.

Just a few examples. We even helped our taxi driver/ guide out with the modida he paid. We also paid mordida to expedite the importation of our vehicle in Honduras --- also illegal there, but it is the way it is. We paid mordida in Guatemala to get our passports back and our work papers so we could leave the country on vacation--- also illegal there. We paid mordida to a customs official at the border of Belize to keep our Guatemala car papers in his desk so we could take a quick trip into Belize. We paid mordida to a Honduran customs official to get our dog out of the airport.

Does that make paying mordida right, moral or anything else? No --- but sometimes it is a way of life in some places for everyone. IMHO, it is not the fault of gringos in any of the other countries. It is a rather entrenched part of their systems for better or worse.

In the US, would I offer an official a bribe? No, bribery is done on a very large scale in our country and called by different names.

Justifications or excuses............

Why is it OK to break the law in a foreign country.....and don't tell me "it's the custom", or "that's the way it is"

As long as you condone the practice and participate in it you are the problem

DianaT - 11-28-2012 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Justifications or excuses............

Why is it OK to break the law in a foreign country.....and don't tell me "it's the custom", or "that's the way it is"

As long as you condone the practice and participate in it you are the problem

It has been our choice, especially when we lived in Central America. Had we not participated in the system as it is, we would have lost our dog, our truck might still be in Tegus waiting to be imported, we might still be stuck in Guatemala, etc. It is the way it is. Our other choice would have been to not live and work there and that was an option.

Yes, the laws are on the book and they are ignored and not enforced. The locals see it as a way for the officials to increase their income. Don't forget, there are many old laws in the US that are still in the books but have not been followed for a very long time. Yes, those laws are of a different nature, but they are still laws.

So judge if you want to, that is OK --- no problem. Time to enjoy this beautiful foggy weather.

lizard lips - 11-28-2012 at 10:53 AM

I just make it really easy and NEVER go to Tecate. I was involved in an accident there about 7 years ago where a drunk guy hit me and they put him in Jail and I was never compensated for damages. The police were nice but thats besides the point. As much as I have heard about the police there I just have no desire to travel through there again. As far as Daivd E's satement about no seatbelt law--- He's wrong. There is a seatbelt law for not only the driver but all passengers.

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think so. For me Dennis' post slapped me in the face--- in a positive way. I so well know what it is like to post about a not so positive experience somewhere in Baja and have certain other people who were NOT there post about how I must be wrong because they have had nothing but positive experiences in the same places --- it has happened to the point of a post being called fanciful, a lie and our fault.

This post and Diana's others on this subject (as well as Dennis' "cynical one") were, I thought, very insightful and well put. When I read a thread that starts with a report of an unfortunate experience, and it is followed by posts saying, in essence, "Well, I never had a bad experience there," without some acknowledgement of the possible validity of the initial post, I usually take the latter as a challenge or disparagement of the initial post.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by MsTerieus]

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Many towns have extremely strict laws about the display of a machete or a knife. They should be kept hidden.

Ha ha ha ha! They should be "kept hidden"? Do the laws allow one to possess them, as long as they are concealed? How about, "they should be left at home"?!

DavidE - 11-28-2012 at 11:46 AM

Lizard lips, that's fact anywhere south of the US border all the way to Tierra del Fuego. Look at a ley de codigos del estado transito book which is based on the DF template and you will see there is absolutely no law for anyone other than a driver of a motor vehicle. It involves actually reading the book.

Why do cops pick on gringos? First of all they have money. Second of all the cops can take it all the way to the bank that 99.99% will whimper, fork over the loot and then hightail it out of there with their tail between their legs. Never reported, no complaints, just adios conejo!

It is a gran delito for a cop to not reveal his true name, and badge number when asked to do so. It is a federal extortion rap for a cop to demand money and charges piled atop charges to force someone to an ATM to extract money. Do you think Mexicans are stupid when it comes to understanding what is happening? The cops absolutely positively rely on the certainty that a gringo will not act to identify the cop, and his patrol car, the time and place, and then go file a complaint. They live and breathe the certainty. They'd bet their life and freedom on it.

Sometime when the opportunity presents itself, buy a transito a coke and have a look (with him) at his thick book of laws. Read the words yourself. The same goes for Aduana. Go look a the HUGE poster bolted to the concrete wall inside the oficina. It lists all the prohibited items. Why is this such an obstacle; actually learning and separating fact from fiction?

What clued me into this? Having a four hour conversation with Ismael Bordeja, so many decades ago while sitting on the dock in Sta Rosalia waiting for the transbordador.
the first thing he told me to do is always inform whomever the person I wished to query that it is "la costumbre" for gringos to ask ten thousand questions. Mexicans do not ask a lot of questions. The other intense study time came in the shade of a parota tree near Zihuatanejo, with commandante Joaquin Baez, of the Petlatlán office of the SSP. Four hours of study and reading the big book with dark blue cover. I had four watermelon from my garden and he and his men carved up three and enjoyed it. They all were curious as to why I was so curious. Baez, turned out to be extremely strict, straight-laced and amiable as hell.

One of the points I learned by reading the words is that any law enforcement figure in Mexico can legally ask to see proof of compliance with federal immigration law. This means FMM, residency or in my case inmigrado "credencial". Comandante Baez amplified the legality of this specific law. It is fact in all 31 states and in DF.

But the anti-mordida laws are draconian. Cops will be fired and possibly even imprisoned for extortion. This is serious stuff these days. But complaints MUST BE FILED. The state tourist office in Tecate is an excellent place to start. Then follow up with a Green Angel report. The feds will contact the state and you do know what tends to roll downhill.

Instead of whimpering, DO SOMETHING! Get a name, badge number, note the time, the street, and if you are a devious son of a b-tch like me, copy down the serial number of a 200 peso note in your wallet. Don't make it a 500. too obvious. A couple of 100's would be better yet. Report that to the tourism office. The cop gets called in, he opens his wallet and presto DETENER!

motoged - 11-28-2012 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
..... Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

Diana,
I think that is a great idea. Some great minds have done that and set a humane and caring example to follow....

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/705588c8e6/mitt-romney-busted-for-dog-on-car-roof

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote:

But the anti-mordida laws are draconian. Cops will be fired and possibly even imprisoned for extortion. This is serious stuff these days. But complaints MUST BE FILED. The state tourist office in Tecate is an excellent place to start. Then follow up with a Green Angel report. The feds will contact the state and you do know what tends to roll downhill.

Instead of whimpering, DO SOMETHING! Get a name, badge number, note the time, the street...........

David, most people here would rather complain than take the time to report the problem

sancho - 11-28-2012 at 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong with the OP's post, whether it is
1st, 2nd, or 3rd
hand, it was just passing along some info.
As for Perros, there was a post months back
a driver was stopped in Mexicali going thur the
East Crossing, dog in the back seat, cop said
dog had to be in a seatbelt

willardguy - 11-28-2012 at 12:06 PM

on the seat belt deal, this is from that other baja forum.

Now for the real law. Every municipality in Baja California, and most of Mexico, requires the driver and passengers to use seat belts.

Here is the Ensenada Municipal Traffic Law:

ARTÍCULO 113.- Todo conductor que circule un vehículo en las vías públicas de este Municipio, deberá ponerse el cinturón de seguridad, así como sus acompañantes y tratándose de menores de dos años, deberá usar silla de seguridad vehicular para infantes.

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/...senada.pdf

ARTICLE 113 - All drivers of vehicles traveling on the public roads of this Municipality must put on the safety belt, as well as others who are in the vehicle, and in the case of minors under two years of age, they must use an infant car security seat.

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Often wonder about these conditions and between all the paid workers, and community people, how or why they choose to live in squalor, relatively speaking. Like, do they have standards, and are they ''lower,'' or are gringoes judging by NOB standards.

Or, driving behind a MX car and seeing a shopping bag full of garbage come flying out the passenger window.

I think "most" gringos judge by NOB standards..........and for living is squalor, It's interesting the number of satellite TV antenna dishes, LED/Plasma flat screen TV's, Internet and I-phones the people living in "squalor" have ........

Bajaboy - 11-28-2012 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
on the seat belt deal, this is from that other baja forum.

Now for the real law. Every municipality in Baja California, and most of Mexico, requires the driver and passengers to use seat belts.

Here is the Ensenada Municipal Traffic Law:

ARTÍCULO 113.- Todo conductor que circule un vehículo en las vías públicas de este Municipio, deberá ponerse el cinturón de seguridad, así como sus acompañantes y tratándose de menores de dos años, deberá usar silla de seguridad vehicular para infantes.

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/...senada.pdf

ARTICLE 113 - All drivers of vehicles traveling on the public roads of this Municipality must put on the safety belt, as well as others who are in the vehicle, and in the case of minors under two years of age, they must use an infant car security seat.

Yep, surprised David E has not noticed the police checking for seat belts. Every so often, they will set up a check point and ticket those not wearing seat belts....but not very often.

ElCap - 11-28-2012 at 12:44 PM

I crossed at Tecate on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, it was exactly a 2-hr wait - we got there about noon. There were two lanes slowly crawling up the hill, then we split into four open lanes at the turn into border booths. Passport checks took less than a minute (3 passengers), and not a question asked by agent. Agent wasn't exactly pleasant, but I've seen much worse, and I was happy to get through. I have no idea why the wait was so long to get to the booth. The agents could care less how long the lines are, in my opinion.
Regards the initial post here, I agree that it means more to me if it is written in the first person, rather than passed on second-hand info. Every person who succumbs to the mordida shakedown just further perpetuates the problem here. I understand some folks are intimidated, but why would someone pay a fine for something they didn't even do (didn't they say they were wearing the seatbelt?).

monoloco - 11-28-2012 at 12:46 PM

Quote:

Instead of whimpering, DO SOMETHING! Get a name, badge number, note the time, the street, and if you are a devious son of a b-tch like me, copy down the serial number of a 200 peso note in your wallet. Don't make it a 500. too obvious. A couple of 100's would be better yet. Report that to the tourism office. The cop gets called in, he opens his wallet and presto DETENER!
Exactly, I don't have much sympathy for people who open their wallet and participate in a crime, then whine about it on the internet. If you pay a bribe, it's because you think that it's more expedient than going to the station, nobody held a gun to your head, accept responsibility for being lazy.

seatbelts !!

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 01:31 PM

was checked for sea belts a few times when I was youger and now I just wear them..no shirt, no shoes, just swimming shorts..but I got the seat belt on..thinking about getting one for my famous co-pilot..have heard servel cops call them "ZIPPERS" the only time I ever paid mordida was the day after marti gra in La paz from a cop shipped over from the mainlaid who diidnt know about the gringo with dog wearing shades...It is a infraction for some one (baby/dog) in your arm hanging out the widow (brazo) most of the reg cops knew me as I was in the parade with my van/boat/dog 1 yr for club cruceros....and at the time is was for me the best thing to do as the jails and cop shop and judges were booked !!!! and Moma marta didnt answer the radio !! LOL K&T:cool:

MsTerieus - 11-28-2012 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Exactly, I don't have much sympathy for people who open their wallet and participate in a crime, then whine about it on the internet. If you pay a bribe, it's because you think that it's more expedient than going to the station, nobody held a gun to your head, accept responsibility for being lazy.

I feel the same. You'll only get sympathy from ME if you refuse to pay the bribe, take the time and trouble to "go to the station," if that what it takes, and whine about THAT on the internet. ;D

going to the station !!

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 02:03 PM

Trust me on this one !! you DO not want to go to the station in La Paz the last day of marti gra....No way In HE__ !!!

lizard lips - 11-28-2012 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Lizard lips, that's fact anywhere south of the US border all the way to Tierra del Fuego. Look at a ley de codigos del estado transito book which is based on the DF template and you will see there is absolutely no law for anyone other than a driver of a motor vehicle. It involves actually reading the book.

So I guess the Baja vehicle code does not apply. I need to buy one of those books the next time I'm pulled over for having a passenger in my car not wearing one, open it to the correct page, and show it to the officer?

I'm not going to get into a peeing contest with you Dave but when you give incorrect information especially when it comes to telling an official that the law does not apply and is not in effect and the officer must read the D.F. Template what do you think he will do? Did you read the other posts Dave where the law is written? You have to remember that most people that read this forum are tourists and supplying information that is incorrect may get them in trouble.

I'm glad you had enough time to read the entire book......

Ateo - 11-28-2012 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

yeah that billboard will get ya everytime!

Dude! That was the one!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

oops....Willardeye !!

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 02:21 PM

Yep,, gotta ask? where did you get That ???????:lol:

DianaT - 11-28-2012 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
..... Tecate? Well, we will continue to pass through there and our dogs will be with us --- I guess since we don't have a truck, we will need to tie the dogs on the roof rack. :)

Diana,
I think that is a great idea. Some great minds have done that and set a humane and caring example to follow....

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/705588c8e6/mitt-romney-busted-for-dog-on-car-roof

:lol::lol::lol:

DianaT

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 02:43 PM

or you could mess with their head and compination rope and duct tape them over the fenders and tie some brown branches to on the heads to look like deers !!! It's near x-mas time !!!

DENNIS - 11-28-2012 at 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
There is a seatbelt law for not only the driver but all passengers.

But not for dogs which is why someone posted here a while back that they were pulled over for and heavily mordidad. Their dog wasn't in a seat belt.
That was in Tecate.

lizard lips - 11-28-2012 at 03:04 PM

I heard of that one before Dennis. Desperate policeman for sure!

DavidE - 11-28-2012 at 07:49 PM

Gob MX portal link copy and paste...

LA PÁGINA QUE ESTA BUSCANDO NO ESTA DISPONIBLE O NO EXISTE, FAVOR DE INTENTAR DE NUEVO, SI PERSISTEN LOS
PROBLEMAS FAVOR DE REPORTARLOS AL
ADMINISTRADOR DEL SISTEMA INTERNET

Gracias por su comprensión

bajaguy - 11-28-2012 at 08:04 PM

http://www.bajacalifornia.gob.mx/portal/site.jsp

http://www.tecatebcmx.com/index.php?option=com_contact&v...

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by bajaguy]

BAJA GRANDE 1 TECATE POLICE 0!

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2012 at 08:34 PM

In 2007, my Baja Grande event and all 15 Jeeps were kicked out of Tecate by the Police there. We literally stopped traffic going into and out of town near the Glorieta (Traffic Circle) because one of the Jeepers 'slowed' before making a turn. He hesitated because of the Police behind him. We didn't pay any Mordida, because once one Jeep got pulled over, the rest of us used our radios and returned to help him out.

The Police got freaked when he saw so many Jeeps stopping in the middle of the main thoroughfare that he couldn't shake us down! BAJA GRANDE 1 TECATE POLICE 0!

LOL...LOL..teamwork !!

captkw - 11-28-2012 at 09:00 PM

And I've been harping about the bennies of radios for while here and with .....nevermind...post a pic of THAT !! funny,, cops,LE,, fire,medical,sar,, use radios and I swear by them..but lately folks that dont know always say cell phone !!! have both optains or more !! K&T

Baja Grande Tecate Crew

Ken Cooke - 11-28-2012 at 11:11 PM

Here we are - the Tecate Police never saw us coming!:lol:

Jeeps aren't known for their creature comforts, but they sure are fun!

Parked at La Rumorosa on our way to Night 1 in San Felipe.:bounce:

Easy does it!

[Edited on 11-29-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Bob H - 12-19-2012 at 09:50 PM

A close friend of mine attended a meeting in Rosarito just recently where the Mayor of Tecate was in attendance. He is aware of the problem in Tecate with the Police and mordida rampage going on. They are working on a plan to curb it (hopefully stop it, right....). I will follow up when I find out more details, but it involves the police department photographing all officers in Tecate and distributing them so those involved can be immediately identified.

I'll keep you all posted as I learn more details.

Additional info

bajaguy - 12-19-2012 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
A close friend of mine attended a meeting in Rosarito just recently where the Mayor of Tecate was in attendance. He is aware of the problem in Tecate with the Police and mordida rampage going on. They are working on a plan to curb it (hopefully stop it, right....). I will follow up when I find out more details, but it involves the police department photographing all officers in Tecate and distributing them so those involved can be immediately identified.

They are SUPPOSED to have the photos up on the Tecate Municipal website

willardguy - 12-19-2012 at 10:04 PM

well its a start!:coolup:

zoesterone - 12-20-2012 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
I just reurned to the US via Tecate. After reading all the negative post I was very cautious. I saw lots of motorcycle
I did not know that they only have two lanes. I thoght that Otay Mesa was bad. When I fanally got to the crossing I was
gruffly asked for my papers. and then the guy went off asking me where I was coming from and why am I crossing here and not at San Ysidro. When I told them that various people had advised me that this way was faster he gave me
a sideways look of disbelief saying we only have two lanes here! You believed peoples heresay about where to cross?He was getting more peeed by the minute. He did not so much as

Why is it so often it is OUR custom guys that are rude and rarely the Mexicans?

DENNIS - 12-20-2012 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone

That's just your wrong assumption. The Mexicans have their good days and bad days as well.

Cisco - 12-20-2012 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone
Quote:

It's a cultural thing.

Mexicans are nice people.

tripledigitken - 12-20-2012 at 11:38 AM

The Mexican Cops always have a smile when they ask to settle the fine right on the spot.;D

durrelllrobert - 12-20-2012 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
A close friend of mine attended a meeting in Rosarito just recently where the Mayor of Tecate was in attendance. He is aware of the problem in Tecate with the Police and mordida rampage going on. They are working on a plan to curb it (hopefully stop it, right....). I will follow up when I find out more details, but it involves the police department photographing all officers in Tecate and distributing them so those involved can be immediately identified.I'll keep you all posted as I learn more details.

Why are they all wearing ski masks?

Bob H - 12-20-2012 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Can you post the link to that website?

DavidE - 12-20-2012 at 02:17 PM

Three hours of backed up traffic...

Two booths

One peesed-off CPB inspector, who complains about it all

He only makes a hundred grand a year. Waddya want already? His message is he would like a bonus of a per car fee on top of his salary and benefits.

DENNIS - 12-20-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Three hours of backed up traffic...

Two booths

That's how it was for me and many others last Sunday AM. I got in line at 9:00 and got to the booth at 12:15.
Almost all license plates I could see were BCN....Christmas shoppers just trying to dump their hard earned Pesos into the US economy.

[Edited on 12-20-2012 by DENNIS]