Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Tecate Police / Leatherman alert
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 07:45 PM
Tecate Police / Leatherman alert

I was asked to post the following from an email I received today:

"MAYBE YOU CAN POST THIS ON BAJA NOMAD, TECATE COPS STOPPED THIS FRIEND OF MINE WHO HAS A PLACE AT DAGGARDS AND TOLD HIM TO GET OUT OF HIS TRUCK. HE HAD A LEATHERMAN KNIFE ON HIS BELT AND THEY GAVE HIM THE SAME OLD BS ABOUT IT BEING A FELONY AND HE WAS GOING TO PRISON. HE WANTED 5000 PESOS BUT THEY TOLD HIM THEY ONLY HAD 4000 SO HE TOOK IT, GAVE HIM BACK HIS KNIFE AND LET HIM GO. THEY GOT HIS FRIEND FOR $50.00 FOR NO SEAT BELT EVEN THOUGH HE HAD IT ON. THEY ALSO GOT MY OTHER FRIEND FOR 4000 PESOS FOR A 3 INCH POCKET KNIFE. TECATE IS NOT A TOWN FOR TOURISTS TO TRAVEL THROUGH."

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 07:48 PM

Tecate has turned into a highway robbery sht-hole. I won't go there any more.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 07:50 PM

Story about what happened to a "friend of a friend and his friend"?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 07:51 PM

I don't get it....I have barely seen a cop in Tecate let alone had any issues. I also know better than to have a pocket knife in my possession while driving in Baja. I know Paulina is only relaying info...maybe the source could post here so we could ask more questions such as where, when, time of day, etc.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:00 PM

Good to be aware of, but I've never had a problem in Tecate. Guess I've been lucky...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:09 PM

I just reurned to the US via Tecate. After reading all the negative post I was very cautious. I saw lots of motorcycle
cops working the line at the boarder lighting up cars.
I guess I was lucky. Every one told me that the croassing at
Tecate was very fast. Well i waited almost 3 hours.
I did not know that they only have two lanes. I thoght that Otay Mesa was bad. When I fanally got to the crossing I was
gruffly asked for my papers. and then the guy went off asking me where I was coming from and why am I crossing here and not at San Ysidro. When I told them that various people had advised me that this way was faster he gave me
a sideways look of disbelief saying we only have two lanes here! You believed peoples heresay about where to cross?He was getting more peeed by the minute. He did not so much as
just glance at the inside of the car. Checked nothing and
believed my heresay that I was bringing nothing back from
Mexico but fish. The things some people will believe!
I for one will not be back in search of a quicker way to cross.
I think I will go the SENTRI pass route.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:10 PM

Instead of posting or writing friends, they should be writing to the Secretary of Tourism for Baja:

Juan Tintos Funcke
jtintos@baja.gob.mx

The Secretary of Public Safety
(Secretaria de Seguridad Publica)

Lic. Daniel de la Rosa Anaya
ddelarosa@baja.gob.mx

And the Mayor (Presidente) of Tecate

Arq. Javier Ignacio Urbalejo Cinco
javier.urbalejo@tecate.gob.mx
ju5@hotmail.com

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:16 PM

We just crossed through Tecate yesterday at 6am. We had our dogs in the backseat of our big truck until we stopped at the Pemex. After fueling up, Dern put the dogs in the back, in the shell. He wasn't up to any confrontations, unlike someone else I know. Why ask for trouble, I guess.

Anyway, we saw two Police cars and one Police motorcycle from the Pemex to the border. We were both wearing our seat belts, and driving the speed limit and made exaggerated stops at every sign. Just in case.

We pulled into our place in line at 6:30, actually two more police cars drove by as we were waiting, it took 1:20 to cross.

As Zac says, I'm just the messenger as far as my other post goes. However, it is nice to know that Leatherman tools are now on the gringo/felon/prison time list.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:47 PM

A military checkpoint north of Loreto several years ago provided an opportunity for the jefe to check out my tankbag....and his eyes lit up when he saw my Leatherman.....poor guy really wanted one....and I can't blame him....boys like those toys :biggrin:

He put it back and bid me adios...:cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
I saw lots of motorcycle
cops working the line at the boarder lighting up cars.

Yep, that's where they got me for not wearing a seatbelt. Motorcycle just driving between the 2 rows of cars checking everone out. Fortunately I showed him that my wallet was empty ($ hidden) so I couldn't pay my 250 p fine.

Bob Durrell
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 09:09 PM
Thanksgiving morning

Crossed Northbound turkey morning and had my lab in the back of my SUV. Saw several patrol cars and had no problems, just like always, going through town. Now to make everyone jealous, there was only one car in line ahead of me and the border patrol guy was pleasant and I was gone in 30 seconds.

In summation, I have never had a problem in Tecate so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Everyone posts their bad experiences so I thought I would post a good one.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 09:30 PM

I guess we are also among the lucky. We crossed at Tecate the day after Thanksgiving with two dogs --- one in the back seat of our Subaru and one on the console between us. We passed a number of police vehicles without incident.

I usually don't pay too much attention to how long it takes to cross, but this time I did look. We entered the almost non-existent line at 12:54 and we were saying good bye to the custom's agent at 12:57.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 09:46 PM

Are all of these good fortune reports a rebuttal to the first post or are they just efforts to share happiness?
If they're the former, perhaps it would just cut to the chase by calling the story a lie.
If it's the latter, maybe they should be followed with some puppy and sunset pictures.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Are all of these good fortune reports a rebuttal to the first post or are they just efforts to share happiness?
If they're the former, perhaps it would just cut to the chase by calling the story a lie.
If it's the latter, maybe they should be followed with some puppy and sunset pictures.

Oh cynical one --- I would not question someone else's experience ever --- it is their experience and I don't question it. I have had our experiences questioned by some and questioned as to if they are real and that stinks!

But just because we have had very positive experiences for the most part in Tecate, especially with any police encounters, I refuse to post my latest cute puppy pictures.

But point well taken, perhaps the positive experiences did not belong in this thread because these people did NOT have good experiences and it was NOT their fault. It was what it was.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by DianaT]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM

soooo, not open for rebuttal or discussion because it wasnt in the first person? is that the deal?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
soooo, not open for rebuttal or discussion because it wasnt in the first person? is that the deal?

I don't think so. For me Dennis' post slapped me in the face--- in a positive way. I so well know what it is like to post about a not so positive experience somewhere in Baja and have certain other people who were NOT there post about how I must be wrong because they have had nothing but positive experiences in the same places --- it has happened to the point of a post being called fanciful, a lie and our fault.

So now I saw my positive post as being much in the same light --- sort of like, well since we have had positive experiences, what is wrong with these people---- My bad, as if what was posted here, third party or not, was what happened, it is what happened and it was not positive!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 10:46 PM

It is called a FORUM people... not a newspaper. Thank you Paulina for passing out that 'news'... and thank you Diana T and others for pasing out your findings.

Dennis, you don't have anything to fear, but go ahead and boycott Tecate based on second or third hand Mexico horror stories...

It may have happened, but allowing the cops to have their way with you is just validating their crime... and it is Christmas, so that kind of crime may be on the rise.

I (one time) got pulled over by a Tecate m/c cop and was able to talk myself out of the unjust (IMO) atttempt at giving me a ticket or paying a mordita (making a turn).

Stand your ground, if you did nothing wrong, be patient... and by all means, don't have any weapons (or tools) on you!!! Really people, and do I need to also say, leave the dope at home and the paraphanalia you use to smoke it, too... Mexico is another country... what you can do in the USA does not mean you can do it in Mexico.... and there is no ACLU to declare you a victim and get you out of jail, either.

[Edited on 11-28-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Let's see...person could not post on Nomads himself, types in ALL CAPS, and is referring to a friend....I'll call bs....at some level.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
soooo, unless you had a similar bad experience, the proper response is no response at all. im good with that!:spingrin:

I don't think so --- but maybe just a post attempting to understand the experience --- maybe some empathy. Even sharing the positive experience is not necessarily ugly, if there is also an acknowledgement and acceptance of someone's different experience.

It is the arrogance that says my experience was GOOD so there must be something wrong with you attitude that is problematic. Having been on the receiving end of that, I know how ugly that is.

In this case, I believe that that was not the intention of Howard when he posted his positive experience and it was also not my intention, but then I saw how it could be interpreted that way. There are some around here who really believe that they "know" what happened any and all the time.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-28-2012 at 12:19 AM

Excuuuuze me for posting a first hand and positive experience on Tecate. My post was 100% simply my experience and nothing more intended. If some people have had unpleasant experiences in Tecate, I do not question that at all and appreciate you letting the rest of us know what to look out for.

Now for the minority of people on this forum, it's you, the unhappy people, who live to complain and make mountains out of mole hills, think about considering the glass half full, not half empty and stop bringing everyone else down. I am not sure if you react so absurdly just to get attention, I just don't know what your motivation is and personally don't care.

Thank you to all the positive people who use this forum that it was intended for and I assume that if to exchange and share information about Baja so we all can experience a safe and fun time. Es la verdad?

Love, peace and tacos

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.