BajaNomad

Residente Permanente Info

karenintx - 12-3-2012 at 10:57 AM

Last night I ran into a friend that told me he is in the process of getting his "Residente Permanente" at the CSL INM office. I only had a couple of minutes to talk with him but here is what I found out.

He has had a FM-3 for 17 years. He has never been late or received a fine for being late when renewing his FM-3. He is Canadian, retired, owns a condo and lives in CSL between 5 - 6 months a year.

He said the process has been extremely smooth and agents have been very helpful. He provided the same paperwork as he has done in previous years. Three months of bank statements, copy of CFE bill, copy of his Canadian passport, copy of current FM-3 card, application from INM website and payment was made at the bank. He couldn't remember the exact amount but said it was around 4500 or 4800 pesos total...3800 pesos for the Residente Permanente and a one time processing fee.

He did say "INM computers only show the past three years." When the INM agent looked him up in the computer she told him "you have had a FM-3 for three years so you will need to renew your FM-3 for one more year before you can apply for Residente Permanente." My friend said "no, I have had a FM-3 for 17 years." The INM agent said she would have to look in his folder then she would call him the next day to tell him what she found. Sure enough the agent called him the next day and said "you have been a good boy...you have never been late renewing your FM-3 or had any late fees so that means you qualify for "Residente Permanente."

He was told it would take 20 days to process. Like us, my friend has always done his renewals himself without the help of any "paid agent". Again this info is coming out of CSL INM office.

Hope this info is helpful to others.

Wally - 12-3-2012 at 03:27 PM

If not for the new laws I would have filed for my 4th year of FM2's today in CSL.

I use an agent because, well just because.

I asked for an approximate time to complete and got a loose, "eh, 2 weeks or so." Loose being the key factor.

Updates as they develop or are remotely interesting.

p.s. the processing fee is $4850.

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by Wally]

Hook - 12-3-2012 at 03:44 PM

How much for your agent?

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wally

Thanks Wally. Does that include the agent's fee? I just today paid 600 bucks for mine....agent fees included.

Why do I always get the feeling that my agent charges more than everybody else in the biz?

nobaddays - 12-3-2012 at 03:51 PM

s Sergio your agent in Cabo?

Wally - 12-3-2012 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
How much for your agent?

Sergio, Paperworks.

$2,850 pesos for the whole process and they take the photos.

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 04:37 PM

So....hold on a minute.....that's a total of 2850 plus 4850 = 7700 Pesos. Is that right, or did I screw it up?

Wally - 12-3-2012 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
So....hold on a minute.....that's a total of 2850 plus 4850 = 7700 Pesos. Is that right, or did I screw it up?

Affirmative.

And apparently to never, ever, have to step into an INM office again...unless you want to be a citizen. OR so I've been told.

Actually, I take that back. Citizenship is a completely different agency of the Government.

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Affirmative.

And apparently to never, ever, have to step into an INM office again...unless you want to be a citizen. OR so I've been told.

Actually, I take that back. Citizenship is a completely different agency of the Government.

OK...I feel better. You're paying just about the same that I'm being charged.
Come to think of it, photos weren't mentioned....yet, so I'm probably not completely finished.

Questions

Gypsy Jan - 12-3-2012 at 05:52 PM

Is Residente Pemanente a new designation (or change of rules) or is it the same as Inmigrado?

For background, we did our FM3, then FM2 and then inmigrado applications through our agent in Rosarito and the fees were a great deal less than what I have seen on this thread.

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Is Residente Pemanente a new designation (or change of rules) or is it the same as Inmigrado?

For background, we did our FM3, then FM2 and then inmigrado applications through our agent in Rosarito and the fees were a great deal less than what I have seen on this thread.

FM3, FM2 and Inmigrado are no more . They are changing to Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente.
Yours won't change, Jan. The new designations are for those who haven't as yet earned Inmigrado.
This is how I see it........hope it's correct.

karenintx - 12-3-2012 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
If not for the new laws I would have filed for my 4th year of FM2's today in CSL.

I use an agent because, well just because.

I asked for an approximate time to complete and got a loose, "eh, 2 weeks or so." Loose being the key factor.

Updates as they develop or are remotely interesting.

Visa fees from Article 80, Ley Federal de Derechos (D.O.F. Sept. 4, 2012):
Artνculo 8o. Por la expediciσn del documento migratorio que acredita la condiciσn de estancia se
pagarαn derechos conforme a las siguientes cuotas:
I. Visitante sin permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas …………………… $295.00
II. Visitante con permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas ……………… $2,350.00
III. Visitante Regional ……………………………………………………………………………… $295.00
IV. Visitante Trabajador Fronterizo ………………………………………………………… $295.00
V. Visitante con fines de adopciσn ………………………………………………………… $2,280.00
VI. Residente Temporal:
a). Hasta un aρo ………………………………………………………………………………. $3,130.00
b). Dos aρos …………………………………………………………………………………… $4,690.00
c). Tres aρos ………………………………………………………………………………… $5,940.00
d). Cuatro aρos ……………………………………………………………………………… $7,040.00
VII. Residente Permanente …………………………………………………………… $3,815.00

Bajatripper - 12-3-2012 at 08:24 PM

Quote:

OK...I feel better. You're paying just about the same that I'm being charged.
Come to think of it, photos weren't mentioned....yet, so I'm probably not completely finished.

Hey, Dennis, weren't you planning on moving north of the border permanently in the near future?

Bajatripper - 12-3-2012 at 08:26 PM

Will this residente parmanente status have any bearing on whether one needs to keep paying for the fideicomiso? My understanding is that getting citizenship allows for one to cancel the fideicomiso, but I'd be surprised if permanent resident status did the same. Am I wrong on this assumption?

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper

Hey, Dennis, weren't you planning on moving north of the border permanently in the near future?

I would leave today if not for my house, Steve. Can't just walk away from it.

http://micasaes.net/

[Edited on 12-4-2012 by DENNIS]

Hook - 12-3-2012 at 08:52 PM

There was some indication on some discussion boards that one could qualify for a Permanente card simply by virtue of proving a certain level of financial capability. That is, you show dem da money in your account or valuation of a house or an income stream and you dont have to have four years of FM2 or Fm3.

Well, that's not the case in Guaymas, Sonora. Went in today and asked about this and they said "no, gringo, you gotta put in two more years on your FM3." That would give me four years.

However, there is some indication that a person starting anew (no previous FM2 or 3) who applies at a Mexican Consulate in their home country CAN jump straight to Permanente status by virtue of economic proofs. Go figure. If that's really an option, I should let my FM3 expire and go apply at the consulate. I'd end up saving 4700 pesos over the next two years.

Of course, all this gets us no closer to having hard and fast answers about all this. Is anyone surprised?

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Of course, all this gets us no closer to having hard and fast answers about all this. Is anyone surprised?

The constant mystery that is Mexico can be "tiresome" at times.

Pescador - 12-3-2012 at 09:07 PM

I now have Inmagrante and the cost is exactly what I paid, but when I look at the back of the card, I see that it actually has an expiration date. So I guess I get another trip back to immigration to ask them what that means. When I got the card the guyt said congratulations and I said well, I will probably see you next year, and he looked at me with a confused look on his face, like he knew something I did not. So, now I guess I will go back and ask them what I really have ( like they might know)

I see a lot of people confusing getting an Inmagrante card with citizenship. Citizenship is a whole different ballgame and means that you have become a citizen of Mexico. The Inmagrante does not change your status as able to buy and purchase land. You just happen to be a permanent resident but your citizenship is not Mexican.

Pescador - 12-3-2012 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Will this residente parmanente status have any bearing on whether one needs to keep paying for the fideicomiso? My understanding is that getting citizenship allows for one to cancel the fideicomiso, but I'd be surprised if permanent resident status did the same. Am I wrong on this assumption?

Yes, Inmagrante is not the same as Naturalizado. Which means that you actually obtain citizenship of Mexico. Not connected with your immigration status.

DENNIS - 12-3-2012 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I now have Inmagrante

Do you mean Inmigrado? I thought that was forever.

Wally - 12-4-2012 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I now have Inmagrante

In 2011 when I applied for a FM2 renewal (my 3rd) I was issued an INMIGRANTE card which replaced the FM2. I don't think there was/is any difference between the two in terms of rules or regulations. Just phasing out the FM2???

And it needs to be renewed every year.

Pescador - 12-4-2012 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I now have Inmagrante

Inmigrado was the old card you received after the appropriate number of FM2's and FM3's. The new system replaced that. Now you have Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente.

I have a friend who got the Inmigrado card before the change and was told that nothing needed to be done, My renewal was done in November and reads INMIGRANTE.

As I read the regs I should not need to renew, but I do have an expiration date on the backside. Will probably take a few big Yellowtail to the office and then discuss the matter.

Mula - 12-4-2012 at 07:14 AM

Immigrante is different from Immigrado.

Immigrado means you have immigrated to the country and immigrante means you are in the process. (not yet granted)

DENNIS - 12-4-2012 at 08:30 AM

OK....I'm no less confused than I was before. Does the Residente permanente need yearly renewel? I thought not.

karenintx - 12-4-2012 at 09:24 AM

Here is an other web site with a chart showing the difference between the old and new "visa names". Scroll down...info is on the right side of page.

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

Wally - 12-4-2012 at 10:06 AM

Just saw this:

http://www.thepaperworkscabos.com.mx/new-immigration-law/

durrelllrobert - 12-4-2012 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
Here is an other web site with a chart showing the difference between the old and new "visa names". Scroll down...info is on the right side of page.

http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

Quick first read -- We are sill in the opening zone of confusion, nevertheless, word is coming in from several INM offices that proof of income is not being required of those who are changing from No Inmigrante or Inmigrante to Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente..

After some initial confusion, it now appears that previous time as a No Inmigrante can be combined with time with an Inmigrante to meet the four-year requirement.

If the above is true anyone that has had an FM3/No-Inmigrante for 4 years or more is elgible to apply for Residente Permanente status without having to prove a monthly income.
That just doesn't sound right and the INM office in Ensenada is requireing proof of a minimum of $1,900US via 6 months of bank statements in order to assure that it Residente Permanente stus is granted after you apply. Also, in the case of a husband and wife that both meet the 4 year requirement it sounds like the combined monthly income must be $3,800.

bajaguy - 12-4-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
If the above is true anyone that has had an FM3/No-Inmigrante for 4 years or more is elgible to apply for Residente Permanente status without having to prove a monthly income.

That just doesn't sound right and the INM office in Ensenada is requireing proof of a minimum of $1,900US via 6 months of bank statements in order to assure that it Residente Permanente stus is granted after you apply. Also, in the case of a husband and wife that both meet the 4 year requirement it sounds like the combined monthly income must be $3,800.

It's to keep the Riff-Raff out :lol:

DENNIS - 12-4-2012 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

It's to keep the Riff-Raff out :lol:

If only that were true. :lol:

Actually, as I mentioned earlier, it will drive the unqualified underground, just as they are now, and life will go on. Those in lower income brackets will be ignored by authorities because they have no value to immigration. It's the soft target, those who can afford the requirments, that will be pursued. After all, we don't need to be chased.....we voluntarily line up at their door and beg to comply.

Bajatripper - 12-4-2012 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Which means that you actually obtain citizenship of Mexico. Not connected with your immigration status.

Only in the matter that you no longer are an immigrant once you obtain citizenship, so I don't think I'd say it isn't connected to your immigration status. I see a definite connection to immigration status between the two, but perhaps that's just me being nick-picky.

DavidE - 12-4-2012 at 01:44 PM

The taxation is going to get worse. Gold bars to tortillas INM is going to demand a minimum bank balance of say 50,000 pesos (guess example) be maintained in a Mexican bank. Computers are be installed (just look in your INM office), and I have seen with my eyes computers, laptop, connected to their RED via TelCel. Lic. Ismael Abarca Gutierrez sub delgado federal INM was not kidding me when he told me the PFP is going to start (in the future) asking to see INM status (your credencial) and that "Permanent" status is going to require a Mexican driver license which in turn demands driving a vehicle with nacional or frontera plates.

Hide And Watch
Welcome to modern bureaucratic Mexico

Lee - 12-4-2012 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
..."Permanent" status is going to require a Mexican driver license which in turn demands driving a vehicle with nacional or frontera plates.

Hide And Watch
Welcome to modern bureaucratic Mexico

Not a big deal. I'll get a dedicated Baja vehicle and keep it in BCS. Whatever happens, happens. Nothing to be scared of.

DavidE - 12-4-2012 at 03:15 PM

Even though I have the right to own zona federal property and vote, I am seriously considering moving to Guatemala. I have a gut feeling this country is going to go totally stupid with computers, facturas, tramites, and impuestos. Jesus what a freakin' waste having to learn who was Carranza, the various dates of revolucciones, and the names of los heroes de chapultepec. Oh well, at least I can come and visit my grandkids. It's a lot easier from the south.

Grumble Grumble

Lee - 12-4-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Jesus what a freakin' waste having to learn who was Carranza, the various dates of revolucciones, and the names of los heroes de chapultepec. Oh well, at least I can come and visit my grandkids. It's a lot easier from the south.

Grumble Grumble

David, you're a smart guy. MX history is sorta wasted on me too -- but it IS interesting. I have no doubt if you wanted to memorize the answers to the naturalization test, you'd pass with flying colors.

Lots of benefits being in Baja though. Proximity to the US, for example. On the other hand, if Guatemala is truly less mickey mouse than MX, you really might be happier down there.

There are hoops to jump through no matter what side of the border you're on.

Maybe start a thread on Central America vs. Baja?

DavidE - 12-4-2012 at 06:16 PM

Perspectives are always interesting. But ocean fishing in Guatemala sucks, as do the beaches. But, life is far, far, far (is this enough far's?) and away less expensive. I can import a USA car or truck and retain the original title and plates. Guatemala City has the medical facilities of Mexico, Guadalajara or Monterrey. Big box shopping, and is a 5 hour drive.

The Baja California peninsula is unique, no place else in the world like it. It isn't the land or the people that confronts me, it's the bureaucracy. I am getting old and I need to stop wandering. I do not want to stop but my body screams otherwise. I chose a principal location on the mainland because it is tropical, more Mexican than anywhere on the peninsula and is actually easier to live there, finance wise. Baja California is expensive. Just ask any native. Like it or not, I can easily find 99% of foodstuffs less fruit and vegetables less expensive in California. But insane rents make the point moot.

The INM guy at the 28th paralelo had me wait for better than a half hour while he contacted his office regarding my credencial naturalizado. He had never seen one before. He then returned with a comment: "Why are you driving un automovil con placas extraneous?" "Porque quiero a saca placas de nacionalizado frontera en Guerrero Negro"

I see it all the time. Mexican cars jumping from half foot deep pothole to pothole at 70 mph and when the car teeters on destruction, they sell it for a lot of money. Including the roofing tar in the crankcase. I cannot afford to pay 100% of 1-1/2-years pension for a new Mexican car so small I can rest my knees against the rear bumper and kick the tires. Those crapmobiles last 2 years and then decompose. Just ask any taxista on the mainland.

Mexico wants 30K a year retirees and will settle for nothing less. SECTUR wants tourists to fly in, blow 10 grand in a week then get the hell out. I cannot get UNAVIALBLE medical supplies shipped or mailed in due to COFEPRIS, seizure at ADUANA, Mexico City. Mexico can live without me, entonces en reversa tambien, la republica!

monoloco - 12-4-2012 at 06:56 PM

You might want to think twice about Guatemala, I had a flight through Guatemala City a couple of weeks ago and was talking to a Guatemalan on the plane who had moved his family to Atlanta because Guatemala is now too dangerous. He still has his business there but said that kidnapping is so rampant he has to drive an armored car and travel with a bodyguard. He was very sad about the situation there.

dtbushpilot - 12-4-2012 at 09:24 PM

We went to Guatemala for 2 weeks. Flew into Guat city, picked up a rental car and spent the next 2 hours trying to find our way out of the city with one of those tourist maps from the rental car place. Drove all the way to other side of the country to our resort that kinda sucked. Toured around some pretty cool places, went to Tikal etc.

We weren't feeling the love at our resort so we decided to go back across the country to Antigua. Drove into Guat city till I was lost, found a taxi and paid him to lead me out of town, he was a really nice older gentleman.

Guatemala isn't like Mexico. Nobody understood my limited Spanish (Mexican) and everybody had guns. Everywhere that there was money or booze that could be stolen there were a couple of security guards with riot shotguns, dirty tee shirts and green teeth, it was kinda spooky.

It was an adventure but I probably won't go back. One interesting thing was on the road to Tikal. There was a booth at the beginning of the windy road through the jungle where you would get a time stamped ticket. There were speed limit signs everywhere warning of grave consequences for speeding but I didn't pay much attention. At the other end of the road at the monument was another booth that would time stamp your ticket and calculate your driving time for the 8 or so miles you had driven. He gave me a severe a$$ chewing in Spanish while waving his arms in a menacing fashion for speeding.....I smile and said "no fumar espanol"....he gave me a disgusted look and waved me on...

akbear - 12-6-2012 at 02:17 PM

Hola, Has anybody received a Residente Permanente in La Paz ? I've had an FM 3 for over 8 years, owned property for 12 years & 64 years old. I'm in the process of renewing / upgrading right now thru an agent.They say that I can get a Imagrate & need bank statements for 3 months. I would like to just get RP & be over with INM. Any help ?

bajaguy - 12-6-2012 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akbear
Hola, Has anybody received a Residente Permanente in La Paz ? I've had an FM 3 for over 8 years, owned property for 12 years & 64 years old. I'm in the process of renewing / upgrading right now thru an agent.They say that I can get a Imagrate & need bank statements for 3 months. I would like to just get RP & be over with INM. Any help ?

Hahaha....other posts are saying that if you have had an FM-2 or FM-3 for several years you don't need financials.......others have posted that you need 6 months of financials......go with the flow and give em the 3 months. Don't think you get a break or a discount if you are 64!!!

akbear - 12-6-2012 at 03:16 PM

On the age thing, I heard somewhere that that if you are retired & can prove your financials meet their requirements you can jump right to PR.

Hook - 12-6-2012 at 03:20 PM

Over here in Guaymas, my wife has had to show NO financials as she transitions from her fourth completed year of FM3 Lucrativo to a Resident Permanente.

Me, with my two completed years of FM3, has had to show OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED copies (copies run through Google translator are not acceptable, go figure) for six months of income.

Yet, there is some indication that persons who have never had anything but a "tourist visa" can apply directly for a Res. Permanente through a Mex consulate and use financials to go immediately to this status.

It's just the usual &%&#@! up situation with INM..............

Two years to get it together after publication and it's like the new laws were written last week and no INM office has had a chance to look at them. :rolleyes:

DENNIS - 12-6-2012 at 03:47 PM

This issue has lost it's humorous edge a long time ago.
Has anyone applying for Perm Res been asked for fotos? I asked my agent about them when he was telling me what I needed and I got no answer. I took that as an, "I don't know."
I mean....does the gawwwdammm card have a foto on it?

Scorpimon - 12-6-2012 at 05:25 PM

Dennis

As for a photo being on the Permanent Resident card, I would say yes. I have done the preliminary part at the Mexican Consulate in Colorado and the Visa applied to my US passport includes my picture, which I provided and they also took one while in the office. The actual Permanent Resident card should be the same since I am required to again submit color photos, front and right profile, 2.5 x 3 cm in size. This is per Jefe del Departamento de Tramite y Archivo Migratorio at INM in Cabo San Lucas.

DENNIS - 12-6-2012 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpimon
Dennis

As for a photo being on the Permanent Resident card, I would say yes. I have done the preliminary part at the Mexican Consulate in Colorado and the Visa applied to my US passport includes my picture, which I provided and they also took one while in the office. The actual Permanent Resident card should be the same since I am required to again submit color photos, front and right profile, 2.5 x 3 cm in size. This is per Jefe del Departamento de Tramite y Archivo Migratorio at INM in Cabo San Lucas.

OK...thanks for that. I think I'll just go down and have them made as to your specs.
Thanks again.

Get another one

bajaguy - 12-6-2012 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpimon
Dennis

OK...thanks for that. I think I'll just go down and have them made as to your specs.
Thanks again.

Of the back of your head and tape it to the back of the card....

DENNIS - 12-6-2012 at 06:18 PM

Quote:

Of the back of your head and tape it to the back of the card....

:lol::lol: Why not?

Wally - 12-7-2012 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Has anyone applying for Perm Res been asked for fotos?

Yes.

As mentioned (by scorp), front and right profile.

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by Wally]

DENNIS - 12-7-2012 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone applying for Perm Res been asked for fotos?

Yes.

As mentioned (by scorp), front and right profile.

Thank you both. I went to a foto studio in Maneadero this AM, but forgot the size. [2.5x3.0]

I'll try again tomorrow.

Wally - 12-9-2012 at 01:20 PM

Interesting tidbit from the 12/3 GG immigration cover story:

You, as a foreigner in Mexico, will now be required to produce proof of your immigration status to immigration officials and the federal police whenever and wherever they request it. They are not required to show probable cause to suspect you are a foreigner, all they have to do is look at your skin and be of the opinion that it’s too white to be Mexican.

Which brings up a question. What happens if someone wants to see proof if you are in the middle of a renewal? They took my Imigrante card.

[Edited on 12-9-2012 by Wally]

DENNIS - 12-9-2012 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WallyInteresting tidbit from the 12/3 GG immigration cover story:

You, as a foreigner in Mexico, will now be required to produce proof of your immigration status to immigration officials and the federal police whenever and wherever they request it. They are not required to show probable cause to suspect you are a foreigner, all they have to do is look at your skin and be of the opinion that it’s too white to be Mexican.

And they cried about decisions in Arizona.

Quote:

Which brings up a question. What happens if someone wants to see proof if you are in the middle of a renewal? They took my Imigrante card.

Too bad you didn't make copies of it, but you'll probably get the new card soon enough. Just hide under your bed till your agent calls you. You sure don't want to be in the middle of a boxcar with the other deportees. :lol:

[Edited on 12-9-2012 by DENNIS]

See, this is the sort of crap thatcares hell out of me now.

M - 12-9-2012 at 03:53 PM

Since Mexicans have figured out computers and thier ability to store tons of information to make life hell, (As we do for for them), I am fearful to open my big mouth and put a dust covered foot into it as I can easily do. NO COMMENTS NEEDED from the peanut gallery, thank=you.

Used to be, I could play in Baja, months at a time, everybody knew me, even the federalies who woukl stop by my fire for a beer. No problemas ever. I was just the Americana ditz with a pen.

Now, on my weekly journeys dropping my life 'stuff' to Rosarito, I am seeing dozens of dark corners to be wary of.
Everybody in the states keeps warning me to fear the drug runners and dealers, the gangsters etc. Hell, "I ain't afraid of no stinkin drug runner or dealer, I'll b-tch slap them ta dust", but the computerized clerks, in Govt. offices? THEY scare living hell out of me!

I'm heading south of the border again on Monday. Rosarito.Any advice? traffic? Speed zones? rabid, P.M.S.'ers?
I'm happy for any help these days.

I have been absent from the board and friends A LOT more than I would like right now, but, life is keeping me...very occupied lately.

Lol...I think most remember why....

Enjoy the rest of your weekend Amigo's. I missed the booksigning, WITH SERIOUS REGRET, but, I'm looking forward to focusing on times when I have, 'Nothing better to do', than plan, or go to events, that will bring us all together.

Hmmm...
Anybody thinking ofd 12-21-2012?

REALLY CURIOUS.
BIG HUGS,
M

It's a big pain to be SO ignorant now, of a place I once knew like the back of my hand. New laws, new Presidents, new drugs, new rules,
Sigh.
Begin again. Si. Again.

Lee - 12-9-2012 at 05:17 PM

As Mexico changes, so we change too. How is this a problem?

Get legal, stay legal. That especially applies to the white folks out there.

DENNIS - 12-9-2012 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Get legal, stay legal. That especially applies to the white folks out there.

Yeah. You Whiteys out there....behave yourselves or Mexico will pack you all in a boxcar that looks like a loaf of Webers and ship you outta here to where you belong. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA

Leo - 12-9-2012 at 06:39 PM

I don't think there are many illigal gringos in Mex. (not like the numbers of illigal Mexicans in the US or Canada) It has been pretty simple to be here with the Tourist visa or FM's and not as costly as they are making it now in the new system. This time around they are asking for people going underground; the expense, the invasion of privacy (showing your net-worth in realestate and income, who says that stays confidential?) And the hassle to go through while it all just changed less tghen 2 years ago to apply for FMs. They are absolutley out of their mind and careless, abusive and demoralizing for gringos.

[Edited on 12-11-2012 by Leo]

DENNIS - 12-9-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I don't think there are many illigal gringos in Mex. (not like the numbers of illigal Mexicans in the US or Canada)

I don't know, Leo. That's probably the way it is down in your area, but up north here, there's a lot of them.
Anyway, in the past, no one ever bothered them. Don't know if or how that might change.

durrelllrobert - 12-10-2012 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
They are absolutley out of their mind and careless, abusive and STUPID.

..and after those remarks they will for sure be looking for you in Todos Santos :lol::lol:

Hook - 12-10-2012 at 10:22 AM

Quote:

You will be issued a sheet of paper that acts as a temporary and will allow you to go in and out of the country as well. I just got mine this AM as they accepted what I had for my two year Temporal. Now the wait begins.

BTW, the Guaymas office is closing for Xmas THIS FRIDAY!!!!! That's eleven days before Xmas; by far the earliest the office has ever closed. Last year it was something like the 22nd.

What are you hearing from other offices?? What closure date?

Riom - 12-10-2012 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
BTW, the Guaymas office is closing for Xmas THIS FRIDAY!!!!! That's eleven days before Xmas; by far the earliest the office has ever closed. Last year it was something like the 22nd.

What are you hearing from other offices?? What closure date?

The San Felipe INM Immigration office will be closed from Wednesday 19th December 2012 to Tuesday Jan 1st 2013 inclusive.

In other words, the last day they are open before the break is Tuesday 18th December, and they will be back open for business on Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013.

Source: INM official in the San Felipe office told me, last Thursday.

This is actually a bit shorter than last year. The closing dates are given in the law so shouldn't change by area, unless the boss has a fishing trip planned. :-)

Rob

[Edited on 2012-12-10 by Riom]

Marla Daily - 12-26-2012 at 10:57 AM

From FM2 to Residente Permanente in Loreto—

I turned in my FM2 on its 4th renewal on Dec. 14, 2012 along with: photos front + right profile; bank statements for 3 months; proof of paid fee from the bank; copy of passport. Now I wait for my Resident Permanente card to come back from Mexico City I am told. (Maybe in a month.)

Once I have the Residente Permanente, I will go for Mexican Citizenship. Does anyone know if the requirements have changed?
I haven't found anything current on the web since the new immigration laws took effect.

Hook - 12-26-2012 at 11:29 AM

I have a confirmation from someone who went to the Tucson Mex Consulate. They had had an FM3 for many years but decided to go back to the FMM because it was such a hassle.

So, that has worked to their advantage as they will be able to jump straight to Permanente status (with proof of income) while me, abiding by the rules for two years with an FM3, am forced to continue on this FM3 path for two more years. I asked to go to Permanente status and was denied.

I shoulda just let my FM3 expire and gone to a consulate. But that would have meant dealing with the 6 hour drive and the border during the holidays. :mad:

Wally - 1-23-2013 at 08:18 AM

Went into immigration yesterday to sign the paperwork and be fingerprinted.

Seven weeks so far (including the holidays). Was told will take roughly 3 weeks while it's processed in Mexico City.

UnoMas - 1-25-2013 at 02:04 PM

Originally told 2 months financials, gave them three. Now two and a half months in to the process they say they want six months and they lost my wife's pictures so want more.:?::fire:

DENNIS - 1-25-2013 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UnoMas
Originally told 2 months financials, gave them three. Now two and a half months in to the process they say they want six months

That's what I had to give them. They haven't even asked for pics yet. My app went in, with payment, beginning of December.
So far.....nada.
The Mexican government continues to be its own worst image committee.

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 1-25-2013 at 02:38 PM

A story about this fiasco which will come as no surprise:
My neighbor was called down to Inm to be printed for his card. Since they previously had made no mention of fotos, he took it upon himself to go to a studio and get a set of Credencial size pics to give when the "Oh...by the way" moment came.
They didn't accept his fotos saying they were on Kodak paper and markings would bleed through when laminated.
To his surprise, and mine, they went into his file and had extras from previous years and said they would work fine.

Go figger????

Wally - 3-6-2013 at 02:12 PM

I got an email today from the agent saying my card has arrived from DF.

13 weeks from start to finish with the holidays in there.

DENNIS - 3-6-2013 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
I got an email today from the agent saying my card has arrived from DF.

13 weeks from start to finish with the holidays in there.

A hearty congrats. I hope your was permanente and done with.
I've been waiting twelve weeks so I gave my agent a call this morning and he said call back tomorrow. :?:

Final submission

bajaguy - 3-6-2013 at 04:42 PM

Submitted paperwork today.........clock is ticking

DENNIS - 3-6-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Submitted paperwork today.........clock is ticking

Don't forget to keep winding it.

akbear - 3-6-2013 at 08:30 PM

I started the paperwork Nov. 20th. I went to La Paz today for fingerprints & to sign paper. Now I sit back & wait some more !

:rolleyes:

MitchMan - 3-7-2013 at 10:56 AM

Wally, Soulpatch,
Just exactly how many days were you without your Inmigrante card? That is, how many days was it between the time you surrendered possession of your Inmigrante card to the day you received your Residente Permanente card?

Very important to know this.

Also, if you had needed to exit and reentry Baja during the time that you were without the Inmigrante card, to your knowledge, would immigration have given you a letter in lieu of the card that would serve to allow you to exit and then reenter at the border and/or airports?

Thank you in advance.

[Edited on 3-7-2013 by MitchMan]

Wally - 3-7-2013 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Wally, Soulpatch,
Just exactly how many days were you without your Inmigrante card? That is, how many days was it between the time you surrendered possession of your Inmigrante card to the day you received your Residente Permanente card?

Very important to know this.

Also, if you had needed to exit and reentry Baja during the time that you were without the Inmigrante card, to your knowledge, would immigration have given you a letter in lieu of the card that would serve to allow you to exit and then reenter at the border and/or airports?

Thank you in advance.

Had to surrender the old FM2 at the time of the new application, so the total time without a visa was 13 weeks, 2 days.

I asked the agent about getting a letter to leave the country during this process and was told that immigration will NOT provide them any longer. When I asked how that works exactly in case of emergency she said that they just will not issue a letter under any circumstances. We were sitting in the immigration office and she was reluctant to go into details but said they had a "work around." I asked again how that is possible after her just saying that immigration wouldn't do it. She said they have a way and if I need to leave the country to just call them several days before hand and they'll give me something that will be accepted at the airport.

Now, if that seems stupid, well, that's what I thought. Since I was half way through the process when I heard this I didn't bother to follow up and find out how exactly they are doing it. I will add though that one of her other clients who was sitting with us confirmed that he had traveled to the US the prior week using whatever it was they were giving out.

DENNIS - 3-7-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Had to surrender the old FM2 at the time of the new application

Mine too although I made extras.....laminated and everything. Just copied the original.
If I ever got jambed up, like being called illegal or mojado, I would use them.

[Edited on 3-7-2013 by DENNIS]

MitchMan - 3-7-2013 at 12:18 PM

Wally, great answer. It appears as though they do not want to encourage leaving the country as that is counter to the concept of becoming a Residente Permanente. But, they know that as a practical matter emergencies do come up and since they have the authority to provide a permission letter, they are reserving that common sense action for special consideration circumstances only. Makes sense to me. Thank you.

Dennis, brilliant, man. I am pretty good at photography and photoshop. Getting a good enough copy to laminate won't be a problem...situation solved!

RnR - 3-8-2013 at 07:32 AM

In La Paz, getting permission to leave the country is easy!

I'm just picked up my third letter, (for my third US trip) yesterday. Each letter costs $320 Mxn but the process is easy.

The Process:

1. Fill out the online application form on INM's website. The name of the form is "Permiso para Salir y Regresar". The form is on the same page as the "temporal" and "permanente" forms.

2. Write a letter with your approximate leave and return dates> The La Paz office provided a template letter.

3. Show up at the office with the letter, the application, your passport, and one infantil photo.

4. Pay the $320 Mxn pesos.

5. Pick up the completed "Permiso" the next day. The letter is good for 60 days.

6. Have the outgoing/incoming immigration officer stamp the letter in the "Salir" and "Regresar" information areas.

7. Turn the stamped letter back into immigration WITHIN 10 DAYS OF YOUR RETURN. This is important and is written into the text of the permission letter.

Keep waiting for your "permanente" card. (14 weeks and counting). Wish the "permanente" was as easy.

Any other process other than this official process sounds like mordida.

MitchMan - 3-8-2013 at 08:45 AM

RnR, fantastic info. Thanks.

Between RnR and Dennis's approach wth laminating copies, there are ways to go here.

Copies

bajaguy - 3-8-2013 at 08:55 AM

I always carry laminated copies of all of my important documents - FM 2, Baja drivers license, US drivers license, DIF card, photo page of US Passport - in my "everyday" wallet. If anyone wants to see the originals, then need to follow me home

[Edited on 3-8-2013 by bajaguy]

durrelllrobert - 3-8-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Wally, great answer. It appears as though they do not want to encourage leaving the country as that is counter to the concept of becoming a Residente Permanente. But, they know that as a practical matter emergencies do come up and since they have the authority to provide a permission letter, they are reserving that common sense action for special consideration circumstances only. Makes sense to me. Thank you.

Dennis, brilliant, man. I am pretty good at photography and photoshop. Getting a good enough copy to laminate won't be a problem...situation solved!

NOT IF YOUR CARD HAS EXPIRED.

DENNIS - 3-8-2013 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
RnR, fantastic info. Thanks.

Between RnR and Dennis's approach wth laminating copies, there are ways to go here.

Laminating machines are cheap on Amazon. Forget what I paid, but not much more than twenty bucks. Now I laminate everything small...even spare driver's licenses for the cop that wants to take mine.

DENNIS - 3-8-2013 at 02:35 PM

Just got back from Imn.....signed the papers and gave them f-prints. Tomorrow I go to a foto studio , return to Imn [agents office] give them the fotos and I'm done with this nonsense forever.

Leo - 3-8-2013 at 06:34 PM

Wouldn't that be great Dennis.
We got f-printed today and paid. Telling me 20 busines days, same as a month, more or less. Easter will take some extra time. But theyn seem to going, snail-pace, but gooooinggg.

rts551 - 3-8-2013 at 06:46 PM

When I got my Immigrado card years ago they said to be very careful with it (I carry my homemade copy) because they could not issue another is I lost it. Are they saying that with the Residente Permanente card?

DENNIS - 3-8-2013 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
When I got my Immigrado card years ago they said to be very careful with it (I carry my homemade copy) because they could not issue another is I lost it. Are they saying that with the Residente Permanente card?

I wouldn't even ask them. All of this is as new to them as it is to us.