BajaNomad

What would be a good 'Grunt Van' for M?

M - 12-16-2012 at 08:20 PM

Some may remember my beloved, jacked up, overbuilt suspension, one ton, tan, 78 Chevy Beauville van.
'Grunt' and I burned up together, literally, about 17 years ago. It wasa like losing my best friend.
I know the VW Routan van that was 'gifted' to me was an impractical choice for Baja, but at the time of purchase, Baja was just a dream never to be enjoyed again. NOW,
things have changed. I could never get it fixed down there anyway, so, regardless, it has to go.

I'm a Chevy gal, I would like a heavy suspension for exploring, all around windows, easily repaired in Baja and not tooo old. My budget is about $5,000 cash.

When in the business, (auto body/paint), I used to know every make and model on the road, but now, I'm clueless.

Any advice or leads could be helpful. Who better to ask about a Baja rig than Baja people?

Thanks for any help,
M

willardguy - 12-16-2012 at 08:32 PM

astro or safari window van. good gas mileage,easy to drive around, and pretty rugged.

willardguy - 12-16-2012 at 08:45 PM

from mindy and her moms house javi's is a block away. a really nice sports bar with javi working behind the bar. javi is rosaritos famous bar keep, worked years a rene's.
is mindy's place at costa bella?

Ateo - 12-16-2012 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
astro or safari window van. good gas mileage,easy to drive around, and pretty rugged.

Funny you mention an Astro Van. I see a lot of them here in Oceanside. A world class surfboard shaper in town, Donald Takayama, used to drive one around town. He could've bought anything he wanted but he chose that Astro van. Tons of space inside for surf gear. They should make a 2013 model with the same body style.

willardguy - 12-16-2012 at 08:58 PM

jacobs takayama model, beautiful! I heard donald had a heart attack and died while surfing. another astro pilot huh! cool. :cool: maybe chevy could bring back a takayama model astrovan!

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by willardguy]

David K - 12-16-2012 at 09:00 PM

See Grunt, the wonder van: http://vivabaja.com/et after the El Tomatal pics.

Ateo - 12-16-2012 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
jacobs takayama model, beautiful! I heard donald had a heart attack and died while surfing. another astro pilot huh! cool. :cool: maybe chevy could bring back a takayama model astrovan!

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by willardguy]

Epic. Chevy Astro Takayama 2013.

Yes, he passed away 10-22-2012. There was a great memorial and paddle out. It was a couple feet overhead and windblown. Many chose to watch it from the Oceanside pier instead. He will be missed. Sorry for the hijack.

Go with the Chevy Astro M!

Salsa - 12-16-2012 at 09:29 PM

Good Astro/Safari offrpad info

http://www.astrosafari.com/

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f...

Don

MMc - 12-16-2012 at 10:02 PM

I meet more foreign surfers/campers in astro vans.

gnukid - 12-16-2012 at 10:16 PM

One of the best things to do in Baja is be a nomad and travel (south). It's best to be in a high mileage car that's comfortable to drive with AC. Sounds like the car you have is the best car you could have, you know it already and there are tons of VW dealers in Baja. New cars are common in Baja so don't shy away from a nice car. You could have years of trouble free fun ahead in the Touareg.

I also like big ol vans since you can sleep in them and camp but you can also sleep in a tent or the Touareg. You could add a roof top carrier or small geare trailor. Be careful that you choose a car that meets your gas budget and is reliable enough so you can go to places when you want with a high chance of arriving.

Old vans get about 10-13 miles to gallon though a nice Astro van can get up to 18 or so, the all wheel versions do have their issues and you'll be replacing parts likes transmission drivetrain on an older car which is expsnsinve and time consuming and also a hassle.

Curt63 - 12-16-2012 at 10:16 PM

Diesel Dodge Sprinter van 30 MPG and TONS of room.... but way more than $5k

I'd get an older toyota van

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by Curt63]

HOLA M !!

captkw - 12-16-2012 at 10:56 PM

I'm not a expert on vans..but before you buy a mini van go to a wrecking/junk yard.... first before you buy one !! BTW way you wont see a vanagon as when they get in a wreck the tow truck driver just jumps up and down on whats left to finish crushing it and throws it on the back of the truck !!! do you NEED good mileage or not would be a good question !!.........................K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by captkw]

Hook - 12-17-2012 at 05:58 AM

I'd go with what you had; an older Chevy, assuming that your daily commuting days are done. If you're driving less, the reduced fuel economy will not be that noticeable.

Parts will be easy to find. Lots of room, very versatile vehicle.

As Gnu mentioned, there were many reliability issues on AstroVans in the years that might be 5,000.00, especially transmission related.

Russ - 12-17-2012 at 06:41 AM

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Gallery/FordProducts/FordProductPh...

edit: I got curious so I went looking at 4x4 vans. Here's a cute one...

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by Russ]

4x4 mini van.jpg - 47kB

MICK - 12-17-2012 at 07:38 AM

I am not sure for reliability, and being about to get parts in baja, that you could get better than you had. When I decided to build a van to go travel mexico and beyond I decided on a 75 gmc 2500. No Computers, No fuel injectors and HEI ignition.the 350 or 400 turbo transmissions are bullet proof and these things are everywhere down here and everyone knows how to work on them.
Go with what you know
Mickey

baitcast - 12-17-2012 at 08:34 AM

Been a van freak all my life,four VW,s and a Astro van AWD,the 64 took us to Gonzaga in 64 and the rest everywhere else.

Now for the 205 Astro it was a disaster,Ive heard lots of good stories about the chevy but mine wasn,t,at 25000 I went thru 4 shocks,replaced the fuel pump,water pump leak,emission problems,couple of other smaller problems,loved driving it we took it south twice,was lucky it was still under warranty!!

Would be very careful when looking at a Astro!
Rob
Never had any problems with the VW,s

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by baitcast]

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 08:59 AM

If this is to be a Baja specific van I'd go for a van with a factory camper conversion. These have fallen out fashion to some degree and you can often find one that hasn't been used that much for a song. You should get mid teens MPG in a late 80's -90's models.

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 09:14 AM

I always check the consumer reviews on Edmunds when considering a used car . I find them pretty spot on.. here's the one for 95 Astro...

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/astro/1995/consumer-reviews...

Sweetwater - 12-17-2012 at 09:55 AM

Except for the ground clearance which might or might not be an issue, Honda makes a bullet proof van that gets great gas mileage and is extremely reliable. My buddy has over 200k miles with nothing but gas, tires and oil. Well, maybe a couple windshields, but you get the picture. FWD so you get all the room on the interior and can configure them with or without seating.

willardguy - 12-17-2012 at 10:31 AM

so everybody agrees to disagree. how about the "boaterhome" from the 80's?:coolup:

http://www.dump.com/boatramp/

AHHH YESSSS!

M - 12-17-2012 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardgu=by

Well you figured correctly. I bought my dream van, a 99 white with gold bottom ASTRO VAN! Factory chrome mags,loaded, the thing even came with birth control! I loved that van to death, literally. I got T-boned, and she died. Sigh. That would be a good choice, but they are hard to find. Does anybody have a van they love? OR, any experiences of lemons to look out for?
M

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

captkw - 12-17-2012 at 11:48 AM

I have a 77 dodge 1 ton van conversion from the factory ... but It will never be up for sale and the gas milage is 9 mpg uphill,,down hill,,towing,,not towing......sounds like you need another grunt !! see if you can find one with the 6 banger !!! K&T

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 12:05 PM

here you go..

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3470300707.html

or ..

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3471411433.html

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 12:16 PM

TOYOTA made Vans on their truck chassis w/ the 22R engine 4 cylinder engines for a short while in the 80's which were great - but probably not what you would want and hard to find any without a million miles on them...
Wishing they would bring these back on a Tacoma or Tundra chassis but maybe not their market anymore - workman and Baja Nomads.

M dont even think about toy vans !!!

captkw - 12-17-2012 at 04:23 PM

Norte-mojo, Have you ever tryed to access the motor in those..the most difficult and after you get the panel off there maybe 1 sq ft of working room..nope that was one toy big OOPPss.....K&T:spingrin:

durrelllrobert - 12-17-2012 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

As Gnu mentioned, there were many reliability issues on AstroVans in the years that might be 5,000.00, especially transmission related.

my neighbor DENNIS just had a used one installed in his Astro. Around $1000 in Ensenada

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Norte-mojo, Have you ever tryed to access the motor in those..the most difficult and after you get the panel off there maybe 1 sq ft of working room..nope that was one toy big OOPPss.....K&T:spingrin:

No never - Friends have owned them and I've ridden in them - I own an 86 Toy 4X4 PU w/ 265K and love that. I'll take note on the vans as I try and do most work on my vehicles myself.

One of the things I loved about Grunt was...

M - 12-17-2012 at 08:02 PM

When I took the motor cover off, between the seats, and had my ass in the air adjusting the carburater, The Hombres could NOT comprehend that a GRINGA drove such a beast, let alone, FIX one!
GOD! I loved 'Grunt'. sigh. May she rest in peace. She's probably a ravioli can by now.
I REALLY appreciate all the great advice. It's truly taken to heart and considered. I must wait for the right opportunity, recall the advice given, post the prospects, and follow your leads. You are my family after all...
BIG hugs,
M
PS. Good to have family. Thanks.

mojo_norte - 12-17-2012 at 08:12 PM

will you return to El Tomatil ? not me - haunted!

Mojo,

M - 12-17-2012 at 10:25 PM

Come with me Mojo, it's Not haunted, just....interesting. It IS mystical, it IS mysterious, You would have to refer to ancient,
'Speaking Stones' to understand what Mac and I experienced. No, No, DON'T EVEN come back with booze or mota, PAHLEEZE!

Graham would be the first to call you a *****
I am the biggest skeptic, but I tell you, THIS was F'd up wierd.
SO, who else has experienced El Tomotal, or similar?
M

willardguy - 12-17-2012 at 10:44 PM

dead batteries,talking rocks,hearts and livers, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, who wouldnt want to go?

Bajaboy - 12-17-2012 at 10:55 PM

Every time I see this post I think you are talking about a mobile stabbin' cabin...

Bajafun777 - 12-18-2012 at 01:44 AM

M, since you have about $5,000 to spend it might be worth your while to look at Robinson Auto Auctions online to see what vehicles are being sold. These are vehicles that have been taken from people who smuggled people, drugs,guns or other goods that are not declared at the border. Additionally, they are vehicles that have been taken by other government agencies or being sold that were owned by government agencies.

They have sales in San Diego, El Centro and even Yuma which are close. I know people that have bought from these in the past and got some good deals. Some have low to mid-range mileage but they also list if they run so you won't be buying something that doesn't unless it is such a good deal your mechanic can fix it. Check them out and take a mechanic with you when you go to buy.

I have seen some good Jeeps, Tacoma trucks, Nissan Trucks, Ford & GM SUVs and even VW vans going for about the price you have quoted or less. Note, some have the liners cut or seats cut where they were taking whatever they had out of the vehicle but that is an easy cheap thing to fix especially in Mexico. Take Care & Travel Safe----- No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Curt63 - 12-21-2012 at 09:40 PM

Here is a real possibility for you. I dont know this person so check it out carefully

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/3494427450.html

Good luck

proneman - 12-22-2012 at 07:18 AM

Camping in Los Mochis.....I like my sleep options(in or on)

????????????

Norm - 12-22-2012 at 08:17 AM

Try to find the best Chevy that you can just before they went to computers !!!!
There are a lot around & you can get all the parts you need in la-paz.... We built a nice Blazer & a small lift , toyo tires .. We can go any place we want !!! Sleep in the back to ...

Everyone that sees us loves what we did with the blazer !!!!

Have a good time & we may even see you some time !!!

mojo_norte - 12-22-2012 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Here is a real possibility for you. I dont know this person so check it out carefully

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/3494427450.html

Good luck

Those are good for the road but no clearance what so ever.

CAUTION

durrelllrobert - 12-22-2012 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
M, since you have about $5,000 to spend it might be worth your while to look at Robinson Auto Auctions online to see what vehicles are being sold. These are vehicles that have been taken from people who smuggled people, drugs,guns or other goods that are not declared at the border. Additionally, they are vehicles that have been taken by other government agencies or being sold that were owned by government agencies.

They have sales in San Diego, El Centro and even Yuma which are close. I know people that have bought from these in the past and got some good deals. Some have low to mid-range mileage but they also list if they run so you won't be buying something that doesn't unless it is such a good deal your mechanic can fix it. Check them out and take a mechanic with you when you go to buy.

I have seen some good Jeeps, Tacoma trucks, Nissan Trucks, Ford & GM SUVs and even VW vans going for about the price you have quoted or less. Note, some have the liners cut or seats cut where they were taking whatever they had out of the vehicle but that is an easy cheap thing to fix especially in Mexico. Take Care & Travel Safe----- No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Hidden Drugs Plague U.S. Auto Auctions

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- When Adrian Rodriguez heard a . rattling noise in the 1991 Volkswagen Passat he'd bought at a U.S. Customs auction, he hoped to fix it cheap by taking it to his mechanic in Tijuana, Mexico. But the problem came with some unexpected costs

Under the back seat, the mechanic found a hidden compartment, where Rodriguez says he was shocked to find 33 pounds of marijuana. He immediately called police, who in turn, put him in jail.

The experience has put the slender, soft-spoken social worker in the middle of a campaign to overhaul how U.S. authorities inspect vehicles seized at border crossings and in drug busts.

Some critics question whether the government should be in the used-car business at all, despite the millions of dollars raised in the sales each year. About half of the 11,000 vehicles auctioned annually are sold in San Diego and many of the rest are sold in other cities along the border.

Rodriguez's case is the latest of several involving cars sold with drugs inside.

"The law has always worked to protect me and my family," he said. "In my mind, I was doing something righteous, correct, and I still feel that way."

Rodriguez, 25, was held for a month in the La Mesa State Penitentiary on drug possession charges before a Mexican court freed him on Aug. 14.

False imprisonment isn't the only risk in these auctions. Timothy Stutler, an assistant U.S. attorney in San Diego, fears smugglers may buy auctioned vehicles to ply their trade - if they get caught, they can say the drugs were there before.

Daniel Clar, general manager in San Diego for Robertson Leasing Corp., which runs auctions for the U.S. Marshals Service, says his crews have found drugs at least four times in recent years.

Ecology Auto Parts in Santa Fe Springs, which has bought thousands of vehicles at government auctions, has found drugs in about five, said retail manager Joe Kellejian.

"We've seen it in engine compartments, fake gas tanks, side panels in trucks, inside spare tires," Kellejian said. "We immediately call the authorities and ask them to remove the vehicles from our premises."

Customs, which auctions about 5,000 vehicles a year, suspended sales nationwide in August. It promised new inspections, requiring that dogs search every vehicle when seized and again when put up for sale, and submitting nearly all to X-rays.

The Marshals Service, which auctions about 6,000 vehicles a year on behalf of the FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration and other agencies, leaves inspections to whichever agency seizes the car, said spokeswoman Mavis Dezulovich.

The Treasury Department, which formerly oversaw Customs, and the Marshals Service are named in separate lawsuits by Mexicans who say they were jailed after unwittingly buying drug-laden cars.

Jose Aguado Cervantes claims he didn't know about the 119 pounds of marijuana stashed in a Buick Century wagon he bought at an auction in July 1999 until he was stopped at the Otay Mesa border three months later. The 68-year-old retiree spent three months in a San Diego jail.

A federal appeals court said in June that Cervantes could pursue a negligence claim, rejecting the government's argument that Customs is exempt from liability. The court said the government's position was "so off-the-mark as to be embarrassing."

Last year, Francisco Javier Rivera and Alfonso Calderon were stopped by Mexican soldiers who found 30 pounds of marijuana under the upholstery of their Nissan Pathfinder. According to a lawsuit filed in federal court, Rivera bought the Pathfinder in September 2001 from Customs, seven months after it was seized with 59 pounds of marijuana. The men spent nearly a year in prison before a Mexican appeals court overturned their convictions.

Rodriguez also plans to sue Customs, calling his Tijuana jail time "a month of terror."

A native of San Bernardino, Calif., Rodriguez lived his first 11 years in Tijuana with eight relatives in a one-room home made of wood scraps. As a teenager, he lived with his grandmother in Chula Vista, where he was involved in his church and school, including the chess club and wrestling team.

"He was always as straight as an arrow," said Ruben Ledesma, former coach of Montgomery High School's cross-country team. Rodriguez was captain for three years.

Rodriguez graduated from high school with honors and earned his bachelor's degree in human development from the University of California, San Diego in 2001.

He now earns $10.75 an hour counseling troubled children, and supports his 24-year-old wife and their 14-month-old son.

While in college, Rodriguez bought a Jeep Cherokee at a government auction. A satisfied customer, he later spent $200 for a Volvo, $70 for another Volvo, $400 for an Audi, and $600 for the Passat.

The Mexican government impounded the Passat. Rodriguez said the Audi's transmission died, and he sold one of the Volvos to a scrap yard for $40.

He says he will sell the remaining Volvo for scraps.
"It works fine, but we don't want to touch it," he said. "How can you be secure?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bajatripper - 12-22-2012 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
Come with me Mojo, it's Not haunted, just....interesting. It IS mystical, it IS mysterious, You would have to refer to ancient,
'Speaking Stones' to understand what Mac and I experienced. No, No, DON'T EVEN come back with booze or mota, PAHLEEZE!

Graham would be the first to call you a *****
I am the biggest skeptic, but I tell you, THIS was F'd up wierd.
SO, who else has experienced El Tomotal, or similar?
M

Gerhard and Gulick mentioned a lone grave around there, perhaps it's his/her spirit coming out to greet you.

Just down the road on the beach are a few rocks of onyx (almost completely buried the last time I went) at Miller's Landing--what is left of the old shipping point for onyx that was mined inland at El Marmolito and sent to the US.