BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What would be a good 'Grunt Van' for M?
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:20 PM
What would be a good 'Grunt Van' for M?

Some may remember my beloved, jacked up, overbuilt suspension, one ton, tan, 78 Chevy Beauville van.
'Grunt' and I burned up together, literally, about 17 years ago. It wasa like losing my best friend.
I know the VW Routan van that was 'gifted' to me was an impractical choice for Baja, but at the time of purchase, Baja was just a dream never to be enjoyed again. NOW,
things have changed. I could never get it fixed down there anyway, so, regardless, it has to go.

I'm a Chevy gal, I would like a heavy suspension for exploring, all around windows, easily repaired in Baja and not tooo old. My budget is about $5,000 cash.

When in the business, (auto body/paint), I used to know every make and model on the road, but now, I'm clueless.

Any advice or leads could be helpful. Who better to ask about a Baja rig than Baja people?

Thanks for any help,
M

Looking for new adventures now; Always...
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:32 PM

astro or safari window van. good gas mileage,easy to drive around, and pretty rugged.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:45 PM

from mindy and her moms house javi's is a block away. a really nice sports bar with javi working behind the bar. javi is rosaritos famous bar keep, worked years a rene's.
is mindy's place at costa bella?

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
astro or safari window van. good gas mileage,easy to drive around, and pretty rugged.

Funny you mention an Astro Van. I see a lot of them here in Oceanside. A world class surfboard shaper in town, Donald Takayama, used to drive one around town. He could've bought anything he wanted but he chose that Astro van. Tons of space inside for surf gear. They should make a 2013 model with the same body style.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 08:58 PM

jacobs takayama model, beautiful! I heard donald had a heart attack and died while surfing. another astro pilot huh! cool. :cool: maybe chevy could bring back a takayama model astrovan!

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 09:00 PM

See Grunt, the wonder van: http://vivabaja.com/et after the El Tomatal pics.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
jacobs takayama model, beautiful! I heard donald had a heart attack and died while surfing. another astro pilot huh! cool. :cool: maybe chevy could bring back a takayama model astrovan!

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by willardguy]

Epic. Chevy Astro Takayama 2013.

Yes, he passed away 10-22-2012. There was a great memorial and paddle out. It was a couple feet overhead and windblown. Many chose to watch it from the Oceanside pier instead. He will be missed. Sorry for the hijack.

Go with the Chevy Astro M!
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 09:29 PM

Good Astro/Safari offrpad info

http://www.astrosafari.com/

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f...

Don
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:02 PM

I meet more foreign surfers/campers in astro vans.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:16 PM

One of the best things to do in Baja is be a nomad and travel (south). It's best to be in a high mileage car that's comfortable to drive with AC. Sounds like the car you have is the best car you could have, you know it already and there are tons of VW dealers in Baja. New cars are common in Baja so don't shy away from a nice car. You could have years of trouble free fun ahead in the Touareg.

I also like big ol vans since you can sleep in them and camp but you can also sleep in a tent or the Touareg. You could add a roof top carrier or small geare trailor. Be careful that you choose a car that meets your gas budget and is reliable enough so you can go to places when you want with a high chance of arriving.

Old vans get about 10-13 miles to gallon though a nice Astro van can get up to 18 or so, the all wheel versions do have their issues and you'll be replacing parts likes transmission drivetrain on an older car which is expsnsinve and time consuming and also a hassle.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:16 PM

Diesel Dodge Sprinter van 30 MPG and TONS of room.... but way more than $5k

I'd get an older toyota van

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by Curt63]

No worries
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-16-2012 at 10:56 PM
HOLA M !!

I'm not a expert on vans..but before you buy a mini van go to a wrecking/junk yard.... first before you buy one !! BTW way you wont see a vanagon as when they get in a wreck the tow truck driver just jumps up and down on whats left to finish crushing it and throws it on the back of the truck !!! do you NEED good mileage or not would be a good question !!.........................K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by captkw]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 05:58 AM

I'd go with what you had; an older Chevy, assuming that your daily commuting days are done. If you're driving less, the reduced fuel economy will not be that noticeable.

Parts will be easy to find. Lots of room, very versatile vehicle.

As Gnu mentioned, there were many reliability issues on AstroVans in the years that might be 5,000.00, especially transmission related.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 06:41 AM

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Gallery/FordProducts/FordProductPh...

edit: I got curious so I went looking at 4x4 vans. Here's a cute one...

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by Russ]

4x4 mini van.jpg - 47kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 07:38 AM

I am not sure for reliability, and being about to get parts in baja, that you could get better than you had. When I decided to build a van to go travel mexico and beyond I decided on a 75 gmc 2500. No Computers, No fuel injectors and HEI ignition.the 350 or 400 turbo transmissions are bullet proof and these things are everywhere down here and everyone knows how to work on them.
Go with what you know
Mickey

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 08:34 AM

Been a van freak all my life,four VW,s and a Astro van AWD,the 64 took us to Gonzaga in 64 and the rest everywhere else.

Now for the 205 Astro it was a disaster,Ive heard lots of good stories about the chevy but mine wasn,t,at 25000 I went thru 4 shocks,replaced the fuel pump,water pump leak,emission problems,couple of other smaller problems,loved driving it we took it south twice,was lucky it was still under warranty!!

Would be very careful when looking at a Astro!
Rob
Never had any problems with the VW,s

[Edited on 12-17-2012 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 08:59 AM

If this is to be a Baja specific van I'd go for a van with a factory camper conversion. These have fallen out fashion to some degree and you can often find one that hasn't been used that much for a song. You should get mid teens MPG in a late 80's -90's models.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 09:14 AM

I always check the consumer reviews on Edmunds when considering a used car . I find them pretty spot on.. here's the one for 95 Astro...

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/astro/1995/consumer-reviews...
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 09:55 AM

Except for the ground clearance which might or might not be an issue, Honda makes a bullet proof van that gets great gas mileage and is extremely reliable. My buddy has over 200k miles with nothing but gas, tires and oil. Well, maybe a couple windshields, but you get the picture. FWD so you get all the room on the interior and can configure them with or without seating.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2012 at 10:31 AM

so everybody agrees to disagree. how about the "boaterhome" from the 80's?:coolup:

http://www.dump.com/boatramp/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.