BajaNomad

Favorite Foods Or Condiments To Bring From The States

DavidE - 1-3-2013 at 12:55 PM

1. Pickles & Relish
  2. Hot As Hell Horseradish
  3. Spices, Like Dill, Tarragon, Saffron
  4. Ultra sharp cheddar cheese

Johnnie's Cheese Spread, Montreal Steak seasoning, Stevia, Baker's yeast, Bread flour, Tomato paste, Whole canned tomatoes, Cooking sherry, Carroll Shelby Chili mix, Lemon juice, Fudge mix, Genuine vanilla, Whole wheat flour, Maple syrup, Old Bay seasoning.

And a set of overload springs

bajaguy - 1-3-2013 at 12:57 PM

Anything from Trader Joe's

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 01:05 PM

Curry Powder....if you're into Curry. I love Curry.

DavidE - 1-3-2013 at 01:27 PM

I know I am forgetting stuff in the list above. It sure would be nice to create a list of stuff to dump into a box. The Trader Joe's idea is great and so is the curry powder. But I know my list is missing a dozen items.

J.P. - 1-3-2013 at 01:28 PM

Any thing Pork.

PAN SASUGE
PORK CHOPS
POLISH SASUGE

measomsan - 1-3-2013 at 02:47 PM

Glad this came up. Are there limits to what we bring in ? Good chips comes to mind. spices make sense that I look for at Mega Costco walmart. So are there certain things you cannot drive accross?

karenintx - 1-3-2013 at 03:09 PM

File' Gumbo Powder!

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan
Glad this came up. Are there limits to what we bring in ?

Not really....as long as it looks like personal use stuff. I mean, a trailer load of Fritos may prompt a questio or two.

Hi, DavidE - Your List is Interesting

Gypsy Jan - 1-3-2013 at 04:09 PM

"Pickles and Relish." I don't know how far Smart and Final goes south on the peninsula, but the one in Rosarito has Heinz Sweet Relish and jars of dill pickles and, also, the Mega Comercial Mexicana carries the "Ann O'Brien" label of kosher dill pickles, which we find to be very good tasting, but they are small-sized, two inches or so in length.

"Hot-as-Hell Horseradish" - No luck here so far, but I have heard that you can buy fresh horseradish from local farmers; you just have to search it down and then grate it like the high-end sushi chefs do for you.

"Curry powder" - The Mexican grocery chain stores and Smart and Final have curry powder, but for really good complex regional curry powder choices you have bring them home from north of the border.

Oops! I slightly misread your question about spices. Dill and tarragon seeds are easily found in the Home Depot nursery in Rosarito. I have never seen saffron for sale, but I suspect, considering Mexico's ties to Spain, that if you contacted a Spanish-themed restaurant, like Taberna Espanola in TJ or contacted the Mercado Hidalgo in TJ, you would find a source for it.

"Ultra-sharp Cheddar Cheese" - Not now, but there used to be an gourmet wine and cheese store in Rosarito on Popotla Blvd., I think they lasted six months. someone is bound to try again. I have heard of the growing artisanal cheese movement in the Valle de Guadalupe, Ensenada and many cheese producers show up at the monthly Farmers' Market at the Rosarito Beach Hotel, but I don't think that any of them are producing cheddar cheese at this time.

For what it is worth, I crave and always haul back loaves of sourdough bread and packs of good quality Italian sweet and spicy sausage.

[Edited on 1-3-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

Loretana - 1-3-2013 at 04:24 PM

I can't live without.......

Parmigiano-Reggiano and
Pecorino Romano for all the pasta dishes

Pancetta and Sage for Chicken Saltimbocca

Some pickled ginger and aji-pon vinegar for sushi

Chinese Shao Hsing Cooking Wine for clams with black bean sauce

Mulegena - 1-3-2013 at 04:46 PM

Being a fulltimer here I really try to get with the program and shop local, live local.

However, one time at Christmas I went to England and brought back a suitcase full of gorgeous curry powders. Delicious blends in beautiful tins worthy of display on the countertop.

I was in heaven that year, all winter and through the hellahot summer months, too... then the hurricane happened (I think it was TS Julio, not that it matters) and all my scrumptious curries went in the drink-- dammm!

edited to say, Loretana I'm eating at your house from now on! Sounds too yummy!!

[Edited on 1-3-2013 by Mulegena]

Floatflyer - 1-3-2013 at 04:48 PM

I see that nobody listed coffee? Is everybody happy with the Mexican offerings? What do you use for a strong dark roast??

Mexico Produces World Class Coffee Beans

Gypsy Jan - 1-3-2013 at 04:56 PM

You can even find them at Trader Joe's.

We buy whole bean coffee from the Mega Comercial in Rosarito, also from a specialty distributor in Playas de Tijuana. :yes:

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
I see that nobody listed coffee? Is everybody happy with the Mexican offerings? What do you use for a strong dark roast??

Mexican coffee seems to be coming out of the dark ages when, due to the poor quality along with it's blandness , the industry would call the flavor "Delicate."
There are some Chiapas Rain Forrest types in the markets that are pretty good.
That said, seems like the coffee of choice I see in restaurants is Folgers. Maybe it's sold at Costco, Smart 'n Final or Walmart here.

The Hunt for Fine Coffee in Baja

Mulegena - 1-3-2013 at 05:03 PM

You're right, Mexico produces some of the best in the world. It was here down on the mainland that I first knew what good coffee tasted like, and I have to say, "Its not your mama's can of Folgers."

That being said, I hate the coffee that's sold in stores here in Central Baja, even at the roasters it ain't good.

That's the one thing I do ask for from the states or buy from Starbucks in La Paz or San Jose. There's also a company in the south called Baja Beans (Todo Santos, I believe). They say they will ship but have not disclosed their prices to me, so I haven't tried them-- yet.

Loretana - 1-3-2013 at 05:08 PM

Costco's Kirkland Signature "Columbian Supremo"
Whole Bean $9.99 for 3 pounds

It travels nicely in your suitcase

KurtG - 1-3-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
You're right, Mexico produces some of the best in the world. It was here down on the mainland that I first knew what good coffee tasted like, and I have to say, "Its not your mama's can of Folgers."

That being said, I hate the coffee that's sold in stores here in Central Baja, even at the roasters it ain't good.

That's the one thing I do ask for from the states or buy from Starbucks in La Paz or San Jose. There's also a company in the south called Baja Beans (Todo Santos, I believe). They say they will ship but have not disclosed their prices to me, so I haven't tried them-- yet.

A few years ago I bought a can of Combate Espresso at Saul's Market. It was quite good but I have never seen it again in any store in Baja.

rhintransit - 1-3-2013 at 05:49 PM

dark chocolate
hot fudge sauce
dried blueberries
almonds, pecans, walnuts
steel cut oats
maple syrup
high gluten flour
dill pickles
English Breakfast tea, Chia spiced tea, Irish Breakfast tea
and, yes, anything else from Trader Joe's that fits

Pompano - 1-3-2013 at 05:55 PM

Walk every aisle at Costco, Trader Joe's, & Henry's.

A tip though...eat a big meal first.

J.P. - 1-3-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
You can even find them at Trader Joe's.

We buy whole bean coffee from the Mega Comercial in Rosarito, also from a specialty distributor in Playas de Tijuana. :yes:

There is several places in Ensenada that sell Coffee Beans. We buy ours at the Coffee Hut on 9th They offer tho blends House or Dark we like the House blend best

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by J.P.]

Oggie - 1-3-2013 at 08:25 PM

All of the items listed above plus Dijon Mustard

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oggie
All of the items listed above plus Dijon Mustard

FYI........Calimax carries it.

Hook - 1-3-2013 at 09:29 PM

As there is a Costco, Mega and Sams in Ensenada, many of the items mentioned might already down here, based on what's carried over here in Sonora.

including:

Maille French Dijon mustard-Sams (nice, big 800ml jar)
Well-pac marinated "sushi" ginger-Mega
Montreal Steak seasoning-Costco
S & W tomato paste, whole and diced tomatoes-Costco
Tillamook Extra sharp cheddar-Costco and occasionally Sams
Huge bags of Kettle Brand potato chips-Costco
Kirkland whole bean French Roast coffee-guess where!

The things I still cant live w/o, and so must cajole persons coming down for:

Claussen whole dill pickles
REAL peanut butter (Adams or Laura Scudder's preferred, but ANY true natural one)
Giuliano pepperocinis
La Brea/Kirkland Rosemary Olive bread
Kirkland Pecorino Romano cheese
Camborzola cheese
Orowheat Dill Rye bread
ANY decent pastrami
Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar
Early California Jumbo black olives
Pico Pica Hot Sauce
decent cold cereal (grape nuts, spoonsize shredded wheat)
Greek style yoghurt
Girard's Light Champagne Vinagrette

Several items have disappeared from our cajole list, by virtue of appearing down here:

albacore tuna in cans-Costco
Bush's baked beans-Wally
some Progresso soups-Wally
Classico spaghetti sauces-Wally
alfalfa sprouts-Wally
Marzetti salad dressings-Wally

Of all the food disappointments in living in Mexico , not having easy access to high quality lunch meats and rye bread might be the biggest bummer. Everything they sell down here looks, feels and tastes like ham or pressed turkey. When the temps hit the upper 80s during the day, sandwiches with a cold pickle become real popular around our house. Quick, no cooking and refreshing.

Costco will occasionally carry decent sliced turkey (Columbus brand) down here but that's about 90 minutes away. We only go about once every three months.

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by Hook]

Natalie Ann - 1-3-2013 at 11:07 PM

Chunky peanut butter - at least in the Sur. Seems most Mexicans prefer smooth.

nena

J.P. - 1-3-2013 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Chunky peanut butter - at least in the Sur. Seems most Mexicans prefer smooth.

nena

cant live without chunky peanut butter. we get it at Smart and Final in Ensenada the only place in town I have found it.

sd - 1-3-2013 at 11:28 PM

Cravings! Here in Southern California I sometimes detour miles to get to Langer's Deli in Los Angeles. 7th Street at Alvarado. Matzo Ball soup, corn beef or pastrami on rye bread with chewy crust. Order with russian dressing and slaw.

A couple of places nearby to get Peso's.

grace59 - 1-4-2013 at 07:03 AM

What I usually bring:
Good coffee, Emeril's steak seasoning, Saffron Rice, Unscented Laundry detergent (due to allergies), quality TP (I"m picky :lol:).
Could also bring Horseradish, c-cktail sauce, cheddar cheese, some nice chocolates.
Other than that I find that I can get most things I want. I do wish I could find fresh lettuce that is something other than iceberg.

beachbum1A - 1-4-2013 at 07:23 AM

Garlic stuffed olives for martinis and liverwurst & rye bread for sandwiches.

Mula - 1-4-2013 at 07:32 AM

Flour and grains for making breads and rolls.

I'm easy

durrelllrobert - 1-4-2013 at 08:40 AM

Anchovy paste for my ceasar salad. Just about everything else i need can be found at S&F, Costco or walmart (haven't tried Sam's yet). So lucky to live in Ensenada but somehow or another my wife seems to spend $100 - 200 on groceries everytime we go to states.

Bajajorge - 1-4-2013 at 09:48 AM

These aren't spices, but I bring down,
Coffee
Claussen Pickles(ask for pickles and they look at you like you're nuts)
Single ply toilet paper(my house is a 5th wheel)
Kidney(Red) beans(turned San Felipe upside down once, not a red bean to be found,canned or dry)
any type of stuffed olives
And the list goes on, but I can't think of anything else, but I know I bring other stuff.

Lindalou - 1-4-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

1. Pickles & Relish
  2. Hot As Hell Horseradish
  3. Spices, Like Dill, Tarragon, Saffron
  4. Ultra sharp cheddar cheese

Johnnie's Cheese Spread, Montreal Steak seasoning, Stevia, Baker's yeast, Bread flour, Tomato paste, Whole canned tomatoes, Cooking sherry, Carroll Shelby Chili mix, Lemon juice, Fudge mix, Genuine vanilla, Whole wheat flour, Maple syrup, Old Bay seasoning.

And a set of overload springs
Why would you bring vanilla? Mx. has the really good stuff.

Bajaboy - 1-4-2013 at 10:10 AM

Good coffee and beer (wine for the wife)
Certain cuts of beef and pork
Cheese (including feta)

Most everything else we buy down there

Bob H - 1-4-2013 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
Cravings! Here in Southern California I sometimes detour miles to get to Langer's Deli in Los Angeles. 7th Street at Alvarado. Matzo Ball soup, corn beef or pastrami on rye bread with chewy crust. Order with russian dressing and slaw.

A couple of places nearby to get Peso's.

Oh, I gotta try this place out next time I'm up in L.A.
http://www.langersdeli.com/

tripledigitken - 1-4-2013 at 10:23 AM

wine
rib eye steaks
whole bean coffee
beef jerky

DENNIS - 1-4-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindalou

Actually, they don't. What's usually available here is a low grade extract, in most cases artificial, and many brands available NOB and online far surpass it in quality.
Another thing I've been unable to find here are Vanilla Beans...... as we call them.....the seed pods. I've searched high and low without luck.

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by DENNIS]

bajaguy - 1-4-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
wine
rib eye steaks
whole bean coffee
beef jerky

Wine - Guadalupe Valley, many excellent selections

Rib eye steaks - Polito's in Maneadero or San Nicholas in Ensenada

Whole bean coffee - many small independent roasters in Ensenada, or buy from Starbucks in Ensenada

Beef jerkey - not good for you, too much salt

tripledigitken - 1-4-2013 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
wine
rib eye steaks
whole bean coffee
beef jerky

Whole bean coffee - many small independent roasters in Ensenada, or buy from Starbucks in Ensenada

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jerky, bad for me, so is the marbled steak and caffeine.

Without starting another wine thread, I have posted info on Baja wines and photos. I enjoy tasting in the valley and usually bring a bottle back..............but for less money I can get better wine all day long from California producers (spain, italy and south american as well) at my local wine merchant, IMO.

I have to say also I am a big fan of Sonoran Beef, which I enjoy in Baja restaurants every time we head south. But as a visitor I have not been able to source any in markets.

bajaguy - 1-4-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:

I have to say also I am a big fan of Sonoran Beef, which I enjoy in Baja restaurants every time we head south. But as a visitor I have not been able to source any in markets.

Next time you are passing through Ensenada, try Polito's or the San Nicholas.....I have had great rib eyes, NY's and prime rib

vandenberg - 1-4-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken[/i

Most of the big chains in La Paz claim Sonoran beef, Ley's, Soriana, Chadraui, City Club and even Walmart I believe.

DENNIS - 1-4-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Most of the big chains in La Paz claim Sonoran beef, Ley's, Soriana, Chadraui, City Club and even Walmart I believe.

Must be a whole lot of beef critters in Sonora, but if that's what they claim, it must be true. :lol:

El Jefe - 1-4-2013 at 12:45 PM

The list of needs or just wants from the states gets shorter every year. We still like to bring down some fancy nuts from TJ's, and the big bars of chocolate, but it is really amazing that we can get such a wide variety of goods here in Los Cabos these days. Used to be that gringos were just about the only shoppers in Costco. Now, the tide has turned. The Mexican middle class is going strong.

Bajajorge - 1-5-2013 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
wine
rib eye steaks
whole bean coffee
beef jerky

Guy, Whole bean coffee out of Starbucks in Ensenada? It probably came out of their distribution and bean grinding center on Johnson Lane in Minden/Gardnerville, NV.:lol:

That's why I bring mucho coffee with me to Baja, cuts out the import tax.

astrobaja - 1-5-2013 at 11:26 AM

For Dennis and others that mentioned curry powder: I'm an Indian food fanatic and do a lot of cooking. When you say curry powder, really what is meant is garam masala powder which is only added at the very end of cooking a curry! The spices that cook in the curry for a long time are typically cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne powders. But you can make your own garam masala from whole spices like clove, bay leaf, cinamon sticks, peppercorns, and the only hard to find ingredient which is either green or black cardommon pods (but they can be bought online with Amazon.). Here is a recipe for one of the basic garam masalas (keep in mind there are scores of different interpertations) It will be fresher and more intense than anything you will buy off a store shelf!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzbtkLe2X_w

Mercado Roble has 2 locations in Ensenada, they carry a few hard to find things and also take orders from Trader Joes (they go once a week). Its the only spot where we find real whipping cream from Alta Dena and even goats milk

http://mercadoselroble.com/roble_organicos/index.php

REAL VANILLA IN MEXICO?

DavidE - 1-5-2013 at 12:50 PM

I dare you to try finding it. One time, I checked over 20 stores in Lazaro Card##as Michoacan with no luck. When I finally found some in Zihuatanejo it was SIX TIMES AS EXPENSIVE as the real vanilla in COSTCO NOB which was far better vanilla. OK, try finding real vanilla in Ensenada, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz or "Los Cabos"

durrelllrobert - 1-5-2013 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindalou

Actually, they don't. What's usually available here is a low grade extract, in most cases artificial, and many brands available NOB and online far surpass it in quality.
Another thing I've been unable to find here are Vanilla Beans...... as we call them.....the seed pods. I've searched high and low without luck.

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by DENNIS]

Buy on line:
http://www.amazon.com/Award-Winning-Mexican-Vanilla-Beans/dp...

DENNIS - 1-5-2013 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
For Dennis and others that mentioned curry powder:

Thanks Mike. These days, I'm buying all my spices here:

http://www.penzeys.com/

Lindalou - 1-5-2013 at 02:20 PM

I never use vanilla, bought some once for a friend that baked all the time years ago in Algadonas, she loved it.

DavidE - 1-5-2013 at 02:26 PM

Also, DO NOT USE MEXICAN VANILLA if you are taking the medicine COUMADIN. So many Mexican vanillas contained COUMADIN that US Customs banned Mexican vanilla from importation both commercially and via private carry-ins across the border. More than a few contained more coumadin per dose than the full legal dosage permitted in Rx coumadin.

vandenberg - 1-5-2013 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Also, DO NOT USE MEXICAN VANILLA if you are taking the medicine COUMADIN. So many Mexican vanillas contained COUMADIN that US Customs banned Mexican vanilla from importation both commercially and via private carry-ins across the border. More than a few contained more coumadin per dose than the full legal dosage permitted in Rx coumadin.

Mexican rats must like vanilla in their cookies.:biggrin::biggrin:

DavidE - 1-5-2013 at 03:09 PM

Also, Tienda de Aborrotes EL MEY in Sta Rosalia, carries superb beef, and the carnicero will cut it to your thickness. The last "T" bone I purchased had a fork tender filet mignon and an almost fork tender New York strip. These steaks IMHO are as good as any four-time-as-expensive Costco steak. Other regional steak I've tried will rip the incisors out by the roots.

bajaguy - 1-5-2013 at 03:13 PM

Quote:

Been carrying across, and declaring Mexoican Vanilla at US Customs POE for the last 21 years, no problems.

EnsenadaDr - 1-5-2013 at 03:25 PM

I love Grey Poupon and more recently Colman's mustard, and haven't found it down here...also I like Miracle Whip and they don't have it in Ensenada. I quit buying beef down in Mexico because they tell you it;s New York, Prime Rib, Porterhouse and half the time it's a gamble because it tastes nothing like what you asked for and is tough as nails. Can't complain about the carne asada in the tacos though...always a good experience. Oh yeah, and Sano's doesn't lie about their steaks!!

EnsenadaDr - 1-5-2013 at 03:35 PM

I don't know about you, but I have never heard a review from a live one!!
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

Mexican rats must like vanilla in their cookies.:biggrin::biggrin:

capitolkat - 1-5-2013 at 08:49 PM

See's candies-- nuts and chews
CA pinot noir=Kosta Browne

micah202 - 1-5-2013 at 08:54 PM

...some good chocolate,,,,
,,,,and hearty ale's for when the norte's blowing!

capitol kat - See's Candies

Gypsy Jan - 1-5-2013 at 09:26 PM

I don't crave them, but our daughter mails a couple of boxes down to us on the holidays.

The nuts'n'chews are the best and the boxes don't last a week around here.

Hook - 1-5-2013 at 09:30 PM

A lot of people mentioning good chocolate. We buy Lindt's in various flavors over here; is Lindt's considered "good" chocolate? Seems good to us. Goes with the madeiras or the tawnys. It's at Leys and at Walmart.

EnsenadaDr - 1-5-2013 at 09:47 PM

I like Cadbury's myself. Especially the Fruit and Nut, and you can get it at any store.

Gaucho - 1-5-2013 at 09:59 PM

I know this isn't a food or condiment but we always bring our own sunscreen down. Even at Costco, Walmart etc. sunscreen is super expensive south of the border.

micah202 - 1-5-2013 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
A lot of people mentioning good chocolate. We buy Lindt's in various flavors over here; is Lindt's considered "good" chocolate? Seems good to us. Goes with the madeiras or the tawnys. It's at Leys and at Walmart.

...if you have t'ask...........;D

BornFisher - 1-5-2013 at 10:28 PM

Budweiser, 30 at a time!
Cash and an ATM card for all else.

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2013 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
I know this isn't a food or condiment but we always bring our own sunscreen down. Even at Costco, Walmart etc. sunscreen is super expensive south of the border.

not a condiment but makes a good marinade.

woody with a view - 1-6-2013 at 10:57 AM

wasabi and ginger.

astrobaja - 1-6-2013 at 10:58 AM

they have wasabi at Mercado Robles in Ensenada

woody with a view - 1-6-2013 at 10:59 AM

we get it from the sushi chef my wife works with at Vons. dry wasabi in a bag as big as a pillow for $5.