BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Favorite Foods Or Condiments To Bring From The States
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

lol.gif posted on 1-3-2013 at 12:55 PM
Favorite Foods Or Condiments To Bring From The States

1. Pickles & Relish
  2. Hot As Hell Horseradish
  3. Spices, Like Dill, Tarragon, Saffron
  4. Ultra sharp cheddar cheese

Johnnie's Cheese Spread, Montreal Steak seasoning, Stevia, Baker's yeast, Bread flour, Tomato paste, Whole canned tomatoes, Cooking sherry, Carroll Shelby Chili mix, Lemon juice, Fudge mix, Genuine vanilla, Whole wheat flour, Maple syrup, Old Bay seasoning.

And a set of overload springs

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 12:57 PM

Anything from Trader Joe's

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 01:05 PM

Curry Powder....if you're into Curry. I love Curry.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 01:27 PM

I know I am forgetting stuff in the list above. It sure would be nice to create a list of stuff to dump into a box. The Trader Joe's idea is great and so is the curry powder. But I know my list is missing a dozen items.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 01:28 PM

Any thing Pork.

PAN SASUGE
PORK CHOPS
POLISH SASUGE
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 02:47 PM

Glad this came up. Are there limits to what we bring in ? Good chips comes to mind. spices make sense that I look for at Mega Costco walmart. So are there certain things you cannot drive accross?
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:09 PM

File' Gumbo Powder!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan
Glad this came up. Are there limits to what we bring in ?

Not really....as long as it looks like personal use stuff. I mean, a trailer load of Fritos may prompt a questio or two.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:09 PM
Hi, DavidE - Your List is Interesting

"Pickles and Relish." I don't know how far Smart and Final goes south on the peninsula, but the one in Rosarito has Heinz Sweet Relish and jars of dill pickles and, also, the Mega Comercial Mexicana carries the "Ann O'Brien" label of kosher dill pickles, which we find to be very good tasting, but they are small-sized, two inches or so in length.

"Hot-as-Hell Horseradish" - No luck here so far, but I have heard that you can buy fresh horseradish from local farmers; you just have to search it down and then grate it like the high-end sushi chefs do for you.

"Curry powder" - The Mexican grocery chain stores and Smart and Final have curry powder, but for really good complex regional curry powder choices you have bring them home from north of the border.

Oops! I slightly misread your question about spices. Dill and tarragon seeds are easily found in the Home Depot nursery in Rosarito. I have never seen saffron for sale, but I suspect, considering Mexico's ties to Spain, that if you contacted a Spanish-themed restaurant, like Taberna Espanola in TJ or contacted the Mercado Hidalgo in TJ, you would find a source for it.

"Ultra-sharp Cheddar Cheese" - Not now, but there used to be an gourmet wine and cheese store in Rosarito on Popotla Blvd., I think they lasted six months. someone is bound to try again. I have heard of the growing artisanal cheese movement in the Valle de Guadalupe, Ensenada and many cheese producers show up at the monthly Farmers' Market at the Rosarito Beach Hotel, but I don't think that any of them are producing cheddar cheese at this time.

For what it is worth, I crave and always haul back loaves of sourdough bread and packs of good quality Italian sweet and spicy sausage.

[Edited on 1-3-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:24 PM

I can't live without.......

Parmigiano-Reggiano and
Pecorino Romano for all the pasta dishes

Pancetta and Sage for Chicken Saltimbocca

Some pickled ginger and aji-pon vinegar for sushi

Chinese Shao Hsing Cooking Wine for clams with black bean sauce

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:46 PM

Being a fulltimer here I really try to get with the program and shop local, live local.

However, one time at Christmas I went to England and brought back a suitcase full of gorgeous curry powders. Delicious blends in beautiful tins worthy of display on the countertop.

I was in heaven that year, all winter and through the hellahot summer months, too... then the hurricane happened (I think it was TS Julio, not that it matters) and all my scrumptious curries went in the drink-- dammm!

edited to say, Loretana I'm eating at your house from now on! Sounds too yummy!!

[Edited on 1-3-2013 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:48 PM

I see that nobody listed coffee? Is everybody happy with the Mexican offerings? What do you use for a strong dark roast??
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 04:56 PM
Mexico Produces World Class Coffee Beans

You can even find them at Trader Joe's.

We buy whole bean coffee from the Mega Comercial in Rosarito, also from a specialty distributor in Playas de Tijuana. :yes:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
I see that nobody listed coffee? Is everybody happy with the Mexican offerings? What do you use for a strong dark roast??

Mexican coffee seems to be coming out of the dark ages when, due to the poor quality along with it's blandness , the industry would call the flavor "Delicate."
There are some Chiapas Rain Forrest types in the markets that are pretty good.
That said, seems like the coffee of choice I see in restaurants is Folgers. Maybe it's sold at Costco, Smart 'n Final or Walmart here.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:03 PM
The Hunt for Fine Coffee in Baja

You're right, Mexico produces some of the best in the world. It was here down on the mainland that I first knew what good coffee tasted like, and I have to say, "Its not your mama's can of Folgers."

That being said, I hate the coffee that's sold in stores here in Central Baja, even at the roasters it ain't good.

That's the one thing I do ask for from the states or buy from Starbucks in La Paz or San Jose. There's also a company in the south called Baja Beans (Todo Santos, I believe). They say they will ship but have not disclosed their prices to me, so I haven't tried them-- yet.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:08 PM

Costco's Kirkland Signature "Columbian Supremo"
Whole Bean $9.99 for 3 pounds

It travels nicely in your suitcase

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
You're right, Mexico produces some of the best in the world. It was here down on the mainland that I first knew what good coffee tasted like, and I have to say, "Its not your mama's can of Folgers."

That being said, I hate the coffee that's sold in stores here in Central Baja, even at the roasters it ain't good.

That's the one thing I do ask for from the states or buy from Starbucks in La Paz or San Jose. There's also a company in the south called Baja Beans (Todo Santos, I believe). They say they will ship but have not disclosed their prices to me, so I haven't tried them-- yet.

A few years ago I bought a can of Combate Espresso at Saul's Market. It was quite good but I have never seen it again in any store in Baja.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:49 PM

dark chocolate
hot fudge sauce
dried blueberries
almonds, pecans, walnuts
steel cut oats
maple syrup
high gluten flour
dill pickles
English Breakfast tea, Chia spiced tea, Irish Breakfast tea
and, yes, anything else from Trader Joe's that fits

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 05:55 PM

Walk every aisle at Costco, Trader Joe's, & Henry's.

A tip though...eat a big meal first.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
You can even find them at Trader Joe's.

We buy whole bean coffee from the Mega Comercial in Rosarito, also from a specialty distributor in Playas de Tijuana. :yes:

There is several places in Ensenada that sell Coffee Beans. We buy ours at the Coffee Hut on 9th They offer tho blends House or Dark we like the House blend best

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by J.P.]
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.