BajaNomad

San Francisquito

Pages:  1  

kilo - 1-14-2013 at 01:13 PM

Just got back from an 8 day camping, snorkeling and hiking trip on the Sea of Cortez. Stopped in Gonzaga, BOLA and just wanted to let y'all know about our experience in San Francisquito.

I guess things have changed since Carlos Slim's people bought the beach 4 years ago. The people were not welcoming and wanted $20 a head per night. Also made us $12 dinners without asking us if we wanted them first and without telling us the price ahead of time. We left the next day and checked out Beto's place in the cove just north of the beach. He charges the same prices (actually $10 a person per night for camping vs. $5 a night with Slim's people) for the cabana but at least he has doors and hot water. He helped us fix a flat on the cachete/side of the tire (charged $20) and recommended a place where we could camp for free since his spots were not wind-sheltered.

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart.

[Edited on 1-14-2013 by kilo]

motoged - 1-14-2013 at 01:52 PM

That's a bummer as SF is one of my Baja all-time favourite places...

I doubt Carlos is keeping track of the business etiquette of those folks there:lol:

Did they have gas available?

Bajaboy - 1-14-2013 at 01:56 PM

Go see Pancho at Playa San Rafael instead....he'll show you some genuine Baja hospitality. He won't charge you to camp but gladly accepts tips/donations.

Zac

desertcpl - 1-14-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kilo
Just got back from an 8 day camping, snorkeling and hiking trip on the Sea of Cortez. Stopped in Gonzaga, BOLA and just wanted to let y'all know about our experience in San Francisquito.

I guess things have changed since Carlos Slim's people bought the beach 4 years ago. The people were not welcoming and wanted $20 a head per night. Also made us $12 dinners without asking us if we wanted them first and without telling us the price ahead of time. We left the next day and checked out Beto's place in the cove just north of the beach. He charges the same prices (actually $10 a person per night for camping vs. $5 a night with Slim's people) for the cabana but at least he has doors and hot water. He helped us fix a flat on the cachete/side of the tire (charged $20) and recommended a place where we could camp for free since his spots were not wind-sheltered.

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart.

[Edited on 1-14-2013 by kilo]

I agree with motoged,, Slim could care less what goes on, when he get ready to build, these clowns will be gone in a flash, in the mean time, guess people just need to bye pass
this place,

David K - 1-14-2013 at 02:52 PM

There was no hospitality when we stopped there last July... they both were busy watching TV and said "nobody comes here when it is hot" as if we were loco asking about services offered. We went north to give Pancho some business, alas he was gone, but we had a peaceful night on the beach a couple miles north of his.

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2013 at 02:53 PM

kilo ! welcome to baja nomads and thanks for posting a VERY important trip report. If you can figure out how to post photos, they wd be nice to see, if you have any nice ones.

capt. mike - 1-14-2013 at 03:36 PM

wow this is all news to me - Slim bought PSFO??!! really?? So what happened to the other guys who were runing it sine Genaro died? did the villadoloids from TJ sell their rancho?? I likely have their name spelled wrong but they built the resort and runway and piped in water from a well 7 miles away in the 60s/70s.

capt. mike - 1-14-2013 at 03:43 PM

well here's a trip report from 11-20 that doesn't seem too bad...not mine - another pilot group.

"Just a quick note about a four-day stay at Punta San Francisquito, Nov 18-24; things were much improved over our last visit several months ago. The runway has been rolled. While it was a little soft, it was overall in very good condition. Unlike our last visit, the place was much cleaner, particularly the kitchen and dining area. Their refrigerator has been fix/replaced and was well stocked with water, sodas, and beer. There was water in the bathhouse. Juan has taken down the one cabana that was damaged in the earthquake. He has replaced its walls with plywood sides, cutouts for real windows, and a new roof. While it is not completed, it will be a marked improvement if/when he does finish.

PSF continues to be a feast or famine, hit or miss kind of place. I truly believe any improvements are paid for by the cash Juan can generate from his guests. Whoever the owner’s are, they do not provide any money for the place’s upkeep. I will continue to make this a destination because if you are looking for classic, old Baja flying, doesn’t get much better than this!" end of report.

TMW - 1-14-2013 at 03:50 PM

Over New Years Pancho told us Slim offered him $7500 for his place but he wouldn't sell.

David K - 1-14-2013 at 04:06 PM

VILLAVICENCIO is a Baja family line that began as a Spanish soldier assigned to protect the missions, as was the ARCE family... both very popular names in central Baja California... They were made famous by such authors as Erle Stanley Gardner and Harry Crosby. :light: I can pull my 'Last of the Californios' book for the details. ;)

motoged - 1-14-2013 at 04:44 PM

I think folks need to put PSF in perspective and stop expecting anything. You are lucky to get potable water in the desert, astoundingly blessed to get some gas, and in heaven if you got some food.

If that seems unreasonable, stay home or find an all-inclusive.

PSF is a unique gem that , like you and me, has its ups and downs.

desertcpl - 1-14-2013 at 04:56 PM

I think this behavior is a little off the hook and also could be dangerous dont you think

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart

KurtG - 1-14-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I think folks need to put PSF in perspective and stop expecting anything. You are lucky to get potable water in the desert, astoundingly blessed to get some gas, and in heaven if you got some food.

If that seems unreasonable, stay home or find an all-inclusive.

PSF is a unique gem that , like you and me, has its ups and downs.

Agreed, we camped there in Oct, $10 for two. Mingo's wife fixed us breakfast the next morning, don't recall the price but it was good, obviously not too expensive or I would remember. The people were friendly, some guys were complaining about the $20/head for the cabanas but turns out they hadn't asked the price the night before so I wasn't real sympathetic.

As to ownership, like elsewhere in Baja I hear lots of rumors presented as fact concerning who owns what and what the development plans are. Has there been any confirmation of the Slim purchases on the Cortrez side. Just curious.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by KurtG]

mtgoat666 - 1-14-2013 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
I think this behavior is a little off the hook and also could be dangerous dont you think

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left.

many resorts offer snorkeling, fishing, tennis, and paint ball. this resort offers mumblety-peg! :lol::lol:

p.s. sounds like the innkeeper should drug test his/her employees!

desertcpl - 1-14-2013 at 05:22 PM

thats what i am thinking,, tweeking,

motoged - 1-14-2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:

Hey sarge....are you thinking AND tweeking?:lol:

KurtG - 1-14-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left.

many resorts offer snorkeling, fishing, tennis, and paint ball. this resort offers mumblety-peg! :lol::lol:

p.s. sounds like the innkeeper should drug test his/her employees!

I've visited PSF 8-10 times over the past 20 years by motorcycle, plane and car. It is never the same, deserted when I first motorcycled there in 93 and in wonderful shape a few years later when Chary and Javier were there.

As to being a "resort," I have never considered it as such. Outpost maybe. I have always thought of it as one of the lovliest bits of beach in all Baja.

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2013 at 12:02 AM

If anyone knows Beto's email address please forward it to me. We have much to talk about. I am eternally grateful to him for pulling that treble hook out of my thumb the summer before last.

LoyeB - 1-15-2013 at 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Over New Years Pancho told us Slim offered him $7500 for his place but he wouldn't sell.

Props to Pancho ! Good to see someone who isnt overtaken by money.

aguachico - 1-15-2013 at 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
If anyone knows Beto's email address please forward it to me. We have much to talk about. I am eternally grateful to him for pulling that treble hook out of my thumb the summer before last.

betolucero2003@yahoo.com.mx

I love this place. One of my bucket list events is to launch outta BOLA and take the Grady down to Beto's place.

Does anyone know if you can sstill drive to thru the "resort's" north access road to the beach?

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by aguachico]

kilo - 1-15-2013 at 07:14 AM

You definitely can drive from the road to the beach.

Quote:

I love this place. One of my bucket list events is to launch outta BOLA and take the Grady down to Beto's place. Does anyone know if you can sstill drive to thru the "resort's" north access road to the beach?

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Quote:

betolucero2003@yahoo.com.mx

Thanks a bunch.

BTW, my son does a great imitation of 'Beto talk'. In case you want to hear it. Just sayin .....

honda tom - 1-15-2013 at 09:51 AM

My first trip to PSF was in the late 90's while trying to find Malcolm Smiths trail south. Charry was running the place and when we arrived she asked what we wanted for dinner. The choices were Carne Asada, Yellowtail, Machaca, Pollo, Shrimp, and of course Lobster. We ended up staying a couple days while trying to find the trail. Over the years of this being a favorite destination, and finding and completing the trail, I have watched the place decline. Last years dinner menu was fish or Machaca. However there is still something about riding up to this place, grabbing a cold beer and sitting on that beach. Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.

honda tom - 1-15-2013 at 09:54 AM

Is Beto the guy with all the boats and trailers and concrete block shop on the cove with the dock?

desertcpl - 1-15-2013 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Hey sarge....are you thinking AND tweeking?:lol:

yes on my morning coffee :lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 1-15-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
My first trip to PSF was in the late 90's while trying to find Malcolm Smiths trail south. ...

Tom,
I was talking with Bill Nichols a few years ago at BoLA and was referring to this trail as the Malcolm Smith Trail and he nearly blew a gasket.....apparently Bill turned Malcolm onto it...:o

Bragger's Rights.....

It's generally known as the No Wimps Trail for some of us....Lizard Lady has it in her stuff.....

kilo - 1-15-2013 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.

That option was not given to us. It was either camping or $20 a head for sleeping in the cabanas with drafty, plastic sheets covering the doors and windows but we settled for $40 for 3 people (still a ripoff but it was nighttime, raining and muddy and we were desperate).

Stickers - 1-15-2013 at 07:04 PM

Last time I was there (2008) it was $45 per night for a palapa. The doors had blown off many years earlier in a storm and they never had any windows.
The showers tried to be warm and were not too bad in May.
We certainly didn't go there for the accommodations but rather the isolation and we enjoyed it for what it was.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Stickers]

PSF 0018.jpg - 44kB

KurtG - 1-15-2013 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh and 5 bucs a head for a cot under the non-walled palapas, with cold shower aint bad.

That option was not given to us. It was either camping or $20 a head for sleeping in the cabanas with drafty, plastic sheets covering the doors and windows but we settled for $40 for 3 people (still a ripoff but it was nighttime, raining and muddy and we were desperate).

If you continue to travel in Baja I would suggest that you stay close to Hwy 1 and only visit resorts with websites that you can check out in advance. Leave the uncertainties of back country travel to those of us who like it.

kilo - 1-15-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
If you continue to travel in Baja I would suggest that you stay close to Hwy 1 and only visit resorts with websites that you can check out in advance. Leave the uncertainties of back country travel to those of us who like it.

We weren't seeking out resorts...just don't like to be ripped off and treated poorly. The original purpose of the post was to recommend Beto over the beach people if PSF is your destination.

Some photos from the trip as requested by Blanca:

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by kilo]

ElCap - 1-15-2013 at 09:34 PM

Yes, Beto owns the cove on the north side of PSF. He lives there full-time, and leases out some of the bay to various gringos who have built casitas and boat storage sheds, etc., as well as the dock in the small shallow bay. As far as I know, Carlos Slim didn't buy the old PSF resort, but rumor has it he has bought up much of the ejido land between there and El Arco, and that there may be some oro y plata in them thar hills.

Skipjack Joe - 1-15-2013 at 11:46 PM

Quote:

Looks like Snoopy?

You must have done some climbing to take this shot.

motoged - 1-16-2013 at 02:30 AM

Carlos Slim just bought me and as one of his new representatives I have been directed to politely tell all Bahia de San Francisquito whiners to stay away....:biggrin:

We don't need no....

kilo - 1-16-2013 at 07:35 AM

We climbed pretty much straight up from our campsite on the leveled ground that you can see in the middle of the picture.

Quote:
Quote:

Looks like Snoopy?

You must have done some climbing to take this shot.

ligui - 1-16-2013 at 07:56 AM

Kilo , thanks for the shots ! how is the in and how long a trip is it ? It's on the list to visit .

kilo - 1-16-2013 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Kilo , thanks for the shots ! how is the in and how long a trip is it ? It's on the list to visit .

http://www.moon.com/destinations/baja-cabo/guerrero-negro-ba...

Road from Bahia de los Angeles definitely requires a high clearance vehicle (our spoiler made things difficult) but the road from Guerrero Negro/El Arco could possibly be done with a crossover type car (like a Toyota Matrix).

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 08:40 AM

I love reading posts about San Francisquito, both the good and the bad. It is, perhaps, my favorite place in the entire world. My first visit was in 1978 and by the end of the 1980s we had made 50 trips, all by private aircraft. Most of the trips were in my beautiful old Baron N30SD, which I kept at Van Nuys. With a stop in Mexicali we could make it to San Francisquito in about 4 hours. We would generally leave on a Friday and return home on Sunday. During most of the 80s we were generally there twice a month in the summer months. Those were good times for San Francisquito. We watched the original owners, Leonard and Rudy, build their homes at the north and south ends of the beach. We kept a locker (#10) for many years with two inflatables and tons of diving, fishing and kids beach gear. After I stopped flying in the mid 90s we made a few more trips by driving, but it was never the same. My daughter Coleen wrote a particularly poignant (for me) description of one of our last trips in 2001. I know many of you have read this before but for those who haven't it is a great description of this magical place:

http://0353753.netsolhost.com/travel/baja_escape/Day7-8.htm

I should point out there are underlined hot links to photos in her text and they are worth looking at.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Ken Bondy]

KurtG - 1-16-2013 at 08:49 AM

Kilo,
I should have been a bit less harsh in my reply but this was your first post to this forum and if you had enquired prior to going there any number of us would have told you that PSF is a special spot but that the operation there is now is pretty disfunctional. I don't think you were "ripped off," the cabanas have always been overpriced IMHO which is why I have always camped on the beach there or under the big open palapa on one of their cots. Also, I expect to pay more for meals in a remote place. All supplies are brought in from some distance away.

Also you stated as fact that Slim is the owner, I requested some confirmation of that and you did not respond. For 40 years of Baja travel I have been regaled with stories about the next big development in remote places and few have ever actually happened so I am a bit cynical when I hear these things.

kilo - 1-16-2013 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Kilo,
I should have been a bit less harsh in my reply but this was your first post to this forum and if you had enquired prior to going there any number of us would have told you that PSF is a special spot but that the operation there is now is pretty disfunctional. I don't think you were "ripped off," the cabanas have always been overpriced IMHO which is why I have always camped on the beach there or under the big open palapa on one of their cots. Also, I expect to pay more for meals in a remote place. All supplies are brought in from some distance away.

Also you stated as fact that Slim is the owner, I requested some confirmation of that and you did not respond. For 40 years of Baja travel I have been regaled with stories about the next big development in remote places and few have ever actually happened so I am a bit cynical when I hear these things.

It's all good. The people at the beach said they worked for Slim. Beto seems to be the expert on the people buying up land in that corner of Baja and he said that although Slim does own a lot of the land near him, the beach itself is owned by a group of investors from Mexico City that may or may not include Slim. If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

[Edited on 1-21-2013 by kilo]

capt. mike - 1-16-2013 at 10:20 AM

Sadly Beto's wife Debra was killed hitching a ride to ensenada with a load of flying sams in a beech twin.
the was the Shark lady and was raising 2 kids in the remote. she had a ham set up and her own reporting net daily.
Galen Hansleman wrote of her in his 1997 baja flying guide.
whe we were stuck there in 1991 with a bad jug in my mooney she helped us daily for 3 days until we could hitch out.

motoged - 1-16-2013 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
.....If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

Kurt,
That is a great idea. SF is so special to some of us....memories of magical moments.:saint:

Last time I was there it was cool and raining....the kitchen family was enjoying their own Christmas festivities and I felt a bit like I was intruding....not because of their behaviour, but because it felt like a family vibe was going on. They only had eggs or machaca....and those machaca omelets for several days were the best I have ever had.....not because of their culinary abilities, but because of the magic I found in the experience.

Exactly what I was looking for....solitude, time to reflect and recalibrate.

P.S. I don't take cruises or stay at all-inclusives...

But that's just me :saint:

Pompano - 1-16-2013 at 11:03 AM

Saving that area for a national park would be excellent, but the chances of it happening are slim to none.

Like a lot you, I too, had many magic moments at San Francisquito...a long time ago. I came by 4x4 overland with Blackjack and his Grasshopper, by gunk-holing along the coast in my old cruiser, Pompano, and by air once. By air was my last visit...back in the late 70's.... way too long ago. A gringo pilot, Duvall, from Mulege and I went on an air search for a missing Mulege fisherman. His wife pleaded with us to go look for him after he was a couple days overdue coming home with his panga. She graciously offered to pay for the fuel, but we never let her know the actual cost of that trip. We flew a V-tail Bonanza and covered the ground thoroughly and fast. We eventually found the panga with the correct markings....pulled up at San Francisquito.

We landed at the strip and walked over to find the 'missing & overdue' fisherman. He..and some other chaps...were very drunk and seemed unconcerned when we told him his wife was very worried and had sent us looking for him. He sobered a bit when we told him about the high fuel bill he was obliged to pay...but we were just glad to fly back home and tell the woman her hubby was okay...albeit a little drunk... and would return shortly. The cost was on us. Ha!..I would liked to have been a fly-on-the-wall when that hung-over fisherman returned to the home fires!

Such was life in Mulege back in the day. Never a dull moment.

Skipjack Joe - 1-16-2013 at 11:25 AM

Beto told me that the land around there had been purchased by a mining company. Including most of 'his' cove. The ejido had decided to proceed with the sale.

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 11:39 AM

my first time to visit San Francisquito,,

I flew in with a old Baja Character, Jack Divine in his plane Cessna 210
he had a place at Beto's, this was in the late 70s, had alot of fun, spent several days, good food as I remember,, very friendly people that ran the place, meet a guy that lived there in a little house behind the restaurant
he was a gringo, he made jewelry and sold it to the tourists that came thru, the story goes he was wanted in Calif, for something and waiting out the statues of limitation, any one remember him, cant seem to remember his name

Pompano - 1-16-2013 at 11:51 AM

Quote:

he had a place at Beto's, this was in the late 70s, had alot of fun, spent several days, good food as I remember,, very friendly people that ran the place, meet a guy that lived there in a little house behind the restaurant
he was a gringo, he made jewelry and sold it to the tourists that came thru, the story goes he was wanted in Calif, for something and waiting out the statues of limitation, any one remember him, cant seem to remember his name

Yes, I have some memories of a guy making jewelry there. I remember his gem saw because I bought a fire opal gift that he cut expertly for a ring. Pretty fuzzy memory and I don't recall his name either. Somebody will chime in, hopefully.

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 12:01 PM

I am came down with CRS several years ago also

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:

His name was Ed. He married a lovely Mexican lady named Martha and as I recall they lived in the cove. I have his last name somewhere will try to find it.

KurtG - 1-16-2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
.....If Mexico was forward-thinking, they would declare a lot of that land a National or State Park before access gets cut off to the large majority of people.

Kurt,
That is a great idea. SF is so special to some of us....memories of magical moments.:saint:

Last time I was there it was cool and raining....the kitchen family was enjoying their own Christmas festivities and I felt a bit like I was intruding....not because of their behaviour, but because it felt like a family vibe was going on. They only had eggs or machaca....and those machaca omelets for several days were the best I have ever had.....not because of their culinary abilities, but because of the magic I found in the experience.

Exactly what I was looking for....solitude, time to reflect and recalibrate.

P.S. I don't take cruises or stay at all-inclusives...

But that's just me :saint:

That quote was not mine but I certainly agree. I don't think I have ever heard a fellow rider say anything negative about PSF. Its such great riding that that overides anything else.

My first ride there in 93 was on a R80GS with a buddy on a R100GS. We just didn't know any better! The road from BOLA was in terrible shape but we pushed through and got to Francisquito after dark. Place was totally shut down. We saw a fire on the beach to the south so rode down there where we found a couple who had a house on the beach and a retired Navy guy named Bob who was caretaking the large house on the south bluff. We were instantly invited to dinner and then Bob said he had a couple of cots and we could sleep on his veranda. It was raininng off and on and being sheltered under that metal roof was great. In the morning Bob fixed us breakfast (he had been a cook in the Navy) and then we were off to El Arco. There was light rain and the ride up Cuesta de la Ley was a little exciting and then we got into the red clay mud. The R100 had a low front fender which packed up with mud resulting in lock-up and an instant spill. My R80 had a tall fender so no problem. We decided to remove the R100 fender but the elite BMW design team had seen fit to use the fender to mount a brake line coupler and the whole thing could not be removed without a much greater variety of tools than we were carrying. I'm sure my buddy spilled at least a dozen times but we made it. Rode out to GN where we dried out and my buddy went back north and I continued on to Mulege and sunshine. 20 years later I remember it as one of my best Baja rides.

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 12:26 PM

yea, Ed

lived in the cove? now some thing is coming back to me a little bit more, the house behind the restraunt was his shop
I think, as it was really small

do you also recall Jack Divine, he was a bounty hunter, lived in TJ

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by desertcpl]

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
yea, Ed

lived in the cove? now some thing is coming back to me a little bit more, the house behind the restraunt was his shop
I think, as it was really small

do you also recall Jack Divine, he was a bounty hunter, lived in TJ

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by desertcpl]

We were pretty good friends with Jack Divine, we were often there at the same time. Loved his 210. He was a fascinating guy, we really enjoyed him. Some of his bounty hunter stories were fascinating. Big Ed could tell some pretty good stories also.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Ken Bondy]

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 12:41 PM

I think Ed lived in his shop until he married Martha, then they moved into a house in the cove (might have been hers).

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 12:45 PM

yes Jack was a quite a guy, he could keep you entertained

he also had a used car lot in TJ, where he lived

do you ever meet his running mate Carmen

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
yes Jack was a quite a guy, he could keep you entertained

he also had a used car lot in TJ, where he lived

do you ever meet his running mate Carmen

I don't recall any female friends, and I usually paid attention to that :). My recollection is that he usually came in with small groups of men, or alone. He kept a tin boat there and loved fishing the jurel.

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 01:18 PM

your right on about the tin boat and fishing

Carmen was a real looker and was she built

alot younger than Jack, she was maybe her 20s

she lived on the property with Jack and his wife and kids
she had a child also, she went every where with Jack when I knew them

I am sure you would remembered her if you had meet her

Leftcoaster - 1-16-2013 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Beto told me that the land around there had been purchased by a mining company. Including most of 'his' cove. The ejido had decided to proceed with the sale.

Yes, and we can only hope that like many developments in Baja it never materializes. Per Beto (a couple of years ago) part of the plan was to build a marina on the end of the point where they would load ore onto barges from the mines at El Arco.

I found the mining concern on the web - a Korean/Canadian/U.S. conglomerate. They had just inked a deal for something like $700 million. But there's a great deal of mileage between signing and actually doing it.

Aguachico, do the trip. Every year I see a guy in a really nice Grady down there (a group of friends and I also do it in two boats). It's worth the logistics, particularly since the panga situation there is not always reliable. Lots of islands to explore.

[Edited on 1-16-2013 by Leftcoaster]

desertcpl - 1-16-2013 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am came down with CRS several years ago also

didnt get a reply on this one,, CRS

Cant Remember Sh.t

Ken Bondy - 1-16-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:

I always hesitate asking this question, because so often now I don't like the answer, but is Jack still with us??

rzitren - 1-17-2013 at 07:22 AM

Some quick answers to questions about San Francisquitos
Jack Devine was a used car dealer and a bounty hunter from Tijuana and has passed away.

Ed Studley " Eduardo " who had the little jewelery shop and lived over in the port has also passed away.

The original owners were Rudy Vallodolid and Leonard Martinez and their picture used to hang on the wall in the bar looking like old time banditos.

The Vallodolid family sold the property off in 2007 to some group out of Mexico City. We were told that they planned on buying up all the land around that area and making it a private resort. My partner and I had a house there for 25 years and got to know the whole cast of characters that visited there. It is a time in my life I will never forget.

paranewbi - 1-17-2013 at 07:37 AM

My ex-wife told me a story of when she was younger, dating a guy who was flown in with her to work on someones house...she wasn't happy with the guy shortly but loved San Francisquitos.

The story continues that a couple of free divers stopped in and one of them ended up drowning. She (looking for a way out) and two others put the body in a vehicle and drove out (to GN?) where she went her way.

Anyone remember this episode?

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

I always hesitate asking this question, because so often now I don't like the answer, but is Jack still with us??

i really dont know for sure, but my best quess is he is not

the last i spoke with Jack was maybe in the mid 90s. he told me then that his health was on the decline, he was planning on flying into Yuma and we was going to meet up, but never heard any more about it

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rzitren
Some quick answers to questions about San Francisquitos
Jack Devine was a used car dealer and a bounty hunter from Tijuana and has passed away.

Ed Studley " Eduardo " who had the little jewelery shop and lived over in the port has also passed away.

The original owners were Rudy Vallodolid and Leonard Martinez and their picture used to hang on the wall in the bar looking like old time banditos.
The Vallodolid family sold the property off in 2007 to some group out of Mexico City. We were told that they planned on buying up all the land around that area and making it a private resort. My partner and I had a house there for 25 years and got to know the whole cast of characters that visited there. It is a time in my life I will never forget.

thanks for the update,, I bet you miss those times, when I was there with Jack, it was full of life and fun alot of good vibes

Pescador - 1-17-2013 at 08:44 AM

The story I heard about Ed Studley was that he was wanted in the US and everytime we were there I noticed he always avoided being in the picture. We thought we had pictures of him at the bar or somewhere else but when we came back home we could not find one photo. One of the Mexican fisherman I met there told me he was waiting out the statute of limitations before he could go back. He did cover sea horses and small starfish with gold and I still have a set of the small starfish.

capt. mike - 1-17-2013 at 10:08 AM

that's what i heard too - Ed was hiding out for 17 years. saw him often and one day they said he just picked up and left!

capt. mike - 1-17-2013 at 10:11 AM

i hated it when they cleaned out the bar and took down all the cool pics and memoriabilia. Many pics of free divers showing off large kills from San Lorenzo isla.

Pompano - 1-17-2013 at 10:25 AM

Ah...great history. Seems there were quite a few 'wanted men' hiding out in Baja before the highway made it less desirable for lawbreakers.

San Francisquito's 'Ed' sounds a little like another shady character knick-named, 'Chicken Bones'... from another Baja hole-in-the-wall episode. Good old time stuff and sure makes me smile.

rzitren - 1-17-2013 at 10:40 AM

Ed was a World War Two Fighter pilot that was shot down in the pacific the same day as Pappy Boyington. He sat in a raft waiting to die when ships from the US Navy came out of every direction. They were looking for Boyington but found Ed. After the war he became a logger out of Redding California. He cut down a stand of trees on federal property without permission and they came looking for him. His parting words to the feds were " I am going to take the money, buy a boat, and go to Mexico". When we first met him he was living in the port and his 35 foot boat was sitting on the beach full of water and the money was gone.

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Ah...great history. Seems there were quite a few 'wanted men' hiding out in Baja before the highway made it less desirable for lawbreakers.

San Francisquito's 'Ed' sounds a little like another shady character knick-named, 'Chicken Bones'... from another Baja hole-in-the-wall episode. Good old time stuff and sure makes me smile.

well come on Roger, you got me hanging here, tell us the story please about Chicken bones

Pompano - 1-17-2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

well come on Roger, you got me hanging here, tell us the story please about Chicken bones

Okay will do, amigo...as I see this thread about San Francisquito kind of attracts it.

From another thread in 2006..

"Yes, I miss JR's style, too ...especially for this thread.

Thinking about adventurers, I wish I could find some photos of a certain day long ago when I met a young guy hiking by BOLA. He was on a trek, too, but seems his supplies were rather poor and some were lost in shipment, so we gave him boots and foodstuffs. Told me he was walking the entire length of Baja...both coasts. That was just a few years after the pavement was built. He made it..I hope. Was doing it all for donations to the Brittle Bone Cancer Society of London.

Then there was another youngster from England who was paddled the shoreline perimeter of Baja for donations to another cancer fund sponsored by the London Daily Mirror. Believe that was in 1980 or so..

Of course there were the odd nuts who: would backpack back and forth fairly often from Coyote Bay to the Pacific and howl at the moon...fly ultralights the entire length of the Baja Road from Ensenada to Cabo. Take a few two week burro trips into the San Francisquito Mts. and the Gigantas out of Loreto. A boating kook who took a 16' Lund with a 20hp Johnson from San Carlos to Ille Tiburon to San Marcos to Aqua Verde to Mag Bay. That amazingl Chicken Bones....A survivalist who outfoxed the Mexican Army from the mountains south of La Paz to the US border...then disappeared. Another island dweller at Ille del Fonzo who survived on that bare rock for almost a year...but had a ball doing it. Nice guy, Lorenzo...too bad he was asked to tear down his palapa and vacate.

Way back then, the desert and beaches were crowded with all sorts of adventurers doing all sorts of things. We met Graham for the first of many times around 1987-88, I think. My memory is a little cloudy from pounding waves for so many years. He gave talks on my patio, at NOLS next door, and in the Jungle Bar in Mulege. Always had an interesting slide-show.

Then who can forget the infamous...SILVIA!! Anybody out there know her/him? A very familiar figure on the old Baja Road from the 70's to the early 90's. Ah..the truckers knew THAT sight well! Guess he/she must be muerte now...cuz I quit having nightmares a while back. I last saw of 'Silvia' was coming back from Muluge late one afternoon...there was Silvia, laying on his/her back on the side of the road..torso out on the highway, clutching a bunch of plastic roses in her/his hands. A sobering sight.

Walkers, hikers, riders, paddlers, flyers, hot air ballonists, boaters, hermits, survivalists, and crawlers (rest in peace, Silvia) all have frequented and enjoyed the special mystic of Baja over the years...and more power to them. Wish I was a few years spryer..I would join them...hmmmm, who has some plastic flowers? "

motoged - 1-17-2013 at 11:06 AM

These memories and stories are the true wealth of this beautiful part of Baja....simple and enduring "truths". :saint:

rts551 - 1-17-2013 at 11:16 AM

Silvia was a site one can never forget.

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 11:23 AM

any one have any pixs of he/she

rts551 - 1-17-2013 at 11:37 AM

Didn't take any because I did not want to remember that shadow under the makeup. I'll ask next time I am in GN if anyone remembers it.

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 11:39 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

rts551 - 1-17-2013 at 12:20 PM

Now its too bad David didn't frequent the road then, he could have "preserved" it.

Pompano - 1-17-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the only image I have of ..ugh..Silvia is forever etched/ground into my memory banks. I surely wish I could give it to you.

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the only image I have of ..ugh..Silvia is forever etched/ground into my memory banks. I surely wish I could give it to you.

Roger, I do hope that after a hard night of partying in the bay
you didnt wake up the next morning with whisker burns

Pompano - 1-17-2013 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Roger, I do hope that after a hard night of partying in the bay
you didnt wake up the next morning with whisker burns

My Gawd! I thought that was the carpet!!

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 12:58 PM

your safe with the secret,, we will not tell

but I am sure that there must be alot of secrets from way back when, not talking just about you, but from alot of old timers its part of the old Baja memories

motoged - 1-17-2013 at 01:23 PM

"My Gawd! I thought that was the carpet!!

:o:o:o:o

Maybe it was the carpet.....which means you must have been belly-down.....:o:o:o:o:o:o

And the other burning wasn't habaneros :lol::lol::lol:

Ken Bondy - 1-17-2013 at 05:05 PM

Here's the picture of Leonard and Rudy that hung in the bar for many years:

desertcpl - 1-17-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Here's the picture of Leonard and Rudy that hung in the bar for many years:

priceless,, and they are all gone as I understand?

capt. mike - 1-18-2013 at 10:15 AM

one of those guys was Genaro's uncle.

rzitren - 1-18-2013 at 10:38 AM

Rudy, the guy on the left was Genaro's father. Rudy had 4 sons and 4 daughters. only one son is still alive but all 4 daughters are alive. His wife is still living in Tijuana. Leanard became a Mexican citizen and moved to Tecoman near Colima. He was the godfather to one of Rudy's son.

Ken Bondy - 1-18-2013 at 02:08 PM

Last time I saw Genaro:

David K - 1-18-2013 at 03:07 PM

It's neat that Ken's Hummer with the troops photo is on display!

Ken Bondy - 1-18-2013 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It's neat that Ken's Hummer with the troops photo is on display!

I noticed that David, I am flattered. 😀

Genaro 23 years ago

Stickers - 1-18-2013 at 06:26 PM

Ken Bondy - 1-19-2013 at 09:59 AM

Fantastic photo of Genaro Stickers! That (1989-1990) was nearing the end of our long run of PFQ trips (I always called it "PFQ", I notice pilots use "PSFO" now), but that's exactly how I remember him! The picture I posted was taken in 2002 or 2003, only about 12-13 years after yours. I was a little surprised at how he had aged.

capt. mike - 1-19-2013 at 10:02 AM

thx for the Genaro pics guys! I really miss him. When my mooney broke down there in around 1987 i had to leave it for a month - he made sure it was safe. 100% hospitality guy in a tough place to run a resort.

willardguy - 1-19-2013 at 10:10 AM

last time I was there a kid named gallo was running the place, is this the same guy?

Pacifico - 1-19-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
last time I was there a kid named gallo was running the place, is this the same guy?

No, not the same guy. Gayo is down in El Barril now. He used to work there though...

Ken Bondy - 1-19-2013 at 06:10 PM

To the best of my knowledge Genaro is no longer on this side of the sod.

coolhand - 1-24-2013 at 07:35 PM

Please guys,
It's baja. Why camp at San Fransiscito or Bahia San Rafeal? Find your own beach. Plenty of beaches still left. You'll be all alone guerranteed. That's the way my wife and I do it. We camp solo all over Baja Sur. The less people around, the less problems abound. Why go to a beach where someone charges? We have plenty of these in SoCal. In Baja, why even stop at beach if there are already footsteps in the sand. Move onto the next beach or cove and and make your own. There's so much room!

Curt63 - 1-24-2013 at 07:52 PM

I think this is Genaro June 2012. I could be mistaken.

Ken Bondy - 1-24-2013 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coolhand[/]

.............. Plenty of beaches still left.........

None like the one at San Francisquito IMHO.

coolhand - 1-24-2013 at 08:15 PM

You really need to explore. I once thought the beaches mentioned on Nomad were the beaches to hit. Not so. Everytthing mentioned on this board may lead you in the right direction, but take it as a grain of salt. The best beaches are a 1-1000 miles away from every Nomad Report!

R

Ken Bondy - 1-24-2013 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coolhand
You really need to explore.

Some day we should compare notes as to how much we have each explored :)

C205Driver - 1-24-2013 at 10:18 PM

Curt63. . .That is Mingo who works with Juan at PSFO ( his wife Rosa is also a cook there ) ( Mingo likes to watch TV until about 11PM every nite ) . . . GREAT place to relax if you can enjoy BASIC!!!. . .Have NEVER, EVER had a bad moment there!!!!!!!!

Skipjack Joe - 1-25-2013 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You really need to explore.

Some day we should compare notes as to how much we have each explored :)

On the other hand I had read somewhere that Thoreau had spent an entire lifetime within 50 miles of Concord and found enough to write 12 tomes of books. You don't really have to go far to discover.

Since you're a photographer, Ken .... I found that the less walking I did on those workshops the better the images were. Kind of like that Morro Bay wharf you've been diving for the past 5 years (I was sorry to read that that's coming to an end now).

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

woody with a view - 1-25-2013 at 05:42 AM

Quote:
You really need to explore. I once thought the beaches mentioned on Nomad were the beaches to hit. Not so. Everytthing mentioned on this board may lead you in the right direction, but take it as a grain of salt. The best beaches are a 1-1000 miles away from every Nomad Report!

R

right on! that's as it should be. who wants to read a travel guide and show up to the same place? finding it yourself is so much more rewarding......:light:

Pages:  1