Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: San Francisquito
kilo

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 01:13 PM
San Francisquito

Just got back from an 8 day camping, snorkeling and hiking trip on the Sea of Cortez. Stopped in Gonzaga, BOLA and just wanted to let y'all know about our experience in San Francisquito.

I guess things have changed since Carlos Slim's people bought the beach 4 years ago. The people were not welcoming and wanted $20 a head per night. Also made us $12 dinners without asking us if we wanted them first and without telling us the price ahead of time. We left the next day and checked out Beto's place in the cove just north of the beach. He charges the same prices (actually $10 a person per night for camping vs. $5 a night with Slim's people) for the cabana but at least he has doors and hot water. He helped us fix a flat on the cachete/side of the tire (charged $20) and recommended a place where we could camp for free since his spots were not wind-sheltered.

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart.

[Edited on 1-14-2013 by kilo]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 01:52 PM

That's a bummer as SF is one of my Baja all-time favourite places...

I doubt Carlos is keeping track of the business etiquette of those folks there:lol:

Did they have gas available?

Don't believe everything you think....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 01:56 PM

Go see Pancho at Playa San Rafael instead....he'll show you some genuine Baja hospitality. He won't charge you to camp but gladly accepts tips/donations.

Zac

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kilo
Just got back from an 8 day camping, snorkeling and hiking trip on the Sea of Cortez. Stopped in Gonzaga, BOLA and just wanted to let y'all know about our experience in San Francisquito.

I guess things have changed since Carlos Slim's people bought the beach 4 years ago. The people were not welcoming and wanted $20 a head per night. Also made us $12 dinners without asking us if we wanted them first and without telling us the price ahead of time. We left the next day and checked out Beto's place in the cove just north of the beach. He charges the same prices (actually $10 a person per night for camping vs. $5 a night with Slim's people) for the cabana but at least he has doors and hot water. He helped us fix a flat on the cachete/side of the tire (charged $20) and recommended a place where we could camp for free since his spots were not wind-sheltered.

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart.

[Edited on 1-14-2013 by kilo]

I agree with motoged,, Slim could care less what goes on, when he get ready to build, these clowns will be gone in a flash, in the mean time, guess people just need to bye pass
this place,
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 02:52 PM

There was no hospitality when we stopped there last July... they both were busy watching TV and said "nobody comes here when it is hot" as if we were loco asking about services offered. We went north to give Pancho some business, alas he was gone, but we had a peaceful night on the beach a couple miles north of his.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 02:53 PM

kilo ! welcome to baja nomads and thanks for posting a VERY important trip report. If you can figure out how to post photos, they wd be nice to see, if you have any nice ones.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 03:36 PM

wow this is all news to me - Slim bought PSFO??!! really?? So what happened to the other guys who were runing it sine Genaro died? did the villadoloids from TJ sell their rancho?? I likely have their name spelled wrong but they built the resort and runway and piped in water from a well 7 miles away in the 60s/70s.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 03:43 PM

well here's a trip report from 11-20 that doesn't seem too bad...not mine - another pilot group.

"Just a quick note about a four-day stay at Punta San Francisquito, Nov 18-24; things were much improved over our last visit several months ago. The runway has been rolled. While it was a little soft, it was overall in very good condition. Unlike our last visit, the place was much cleaner, particularly the kitchen and dining area. Their refrigerator has been fix/replaced and was well stocked with water, sodas, and beer. There was water in the bathhouse. Juan has taken down the one cabana that was damaged in the earthquake. He has replaced its walls with plywood sides, cutouts for real windows, and a new roof. While it is not completed, it will be a marked improvement if/when he does finish.

PSF continues to be a feast or famine, hit or miss kind of place. I truly believe any improvements are paid for by the cash Juan can generate from his guests. Whoever the owner’s are, they do not provide any money for the place’s upkeep. I will continue to make this a destination because if you are looking for classic, old Baja flying, doesn’t get much better than this!" end of report.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 03:50 PM

Over New Years Pancho told us Slim offered him $7500 for his place but he wouldn't sell.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 04:06 PM

VILLAVICENCIO is a Baja family line that began as a Spanish soldier assigned to protect the missions, as was the ARCE family... both very popular names in central Baja California... They were made famous by such authors as Erle Stanley Gardner and Harry Crosby. :light: I can pull my 'Last of the Californios' book for the details. ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 04:44 PM

I think folks need to put PSF in perspective and stop expecting anything. You are lucky to get potable water in the desert, astoundingly blessed to get some gas, and in heaven if you got some food.

If that seems unreasonable, stay home or find an all-inclusive.

PSF is a unique gem that , like you and me, has its ups and downs.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 04:56 PM

I think this behavior is a little off the hook and also could be dangerous dont you think

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left. If you're going to San Francisquito, I would definitely recommend Beto over Slim's people on the beach (and I think his cove is prettier). Slim needs to get the message that his greedy workers are driving away business...not smart
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I think folks need to put PSF in perspective and stop expecting anything. You are lucky to get potable water in the desert, astoundingly blessed to get some gas, and in heaven if you got some food.

If that seems unreasonable, stay home or find an all-inclusive.

PSF is a unique gem that , like you and me, has its ups and downs.

Agreed, we camped there in Oct, $10 for two. Mingo's wife fixed us breakfast the next morning, don't recall the price but it was good, obviously not too expensive or I would remember. The people were friendly, some guys were complaining about the $20/head for the cabanas but turns out they hadn't asked the price the night before so I wasn't real sympathetic.

As to ownership, like elsewhere in Baja I hear lots of rumors presented as fact concerning who owns what and what the development plans are. Has there been any confirmation of the Slim purchases on the Cortrez side. Just curious.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by KurtG]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
I think this behavior is a little off the hook and also could be dangerous dont you think

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left.

many resorts offer snorkeling, fishing, tennis, and paint ball. this resort offers mumblety-peg! :lol::lol:

p.s. sounds like the innkeeper should drug test his/her employees!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 05:22 PM

thats what i am thinking,, tweeking,
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
thats what i am thinking,, tweeking,

Hey sarge....are you thinking AND tweeking?:lol:

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

At San Francisquito, we disputed the price and Mingo (one of the hanger-ons at the beach) decided to pull a knife out of the drying rack as a joke. Not very funny and we had to agree to disagree. The Kiwis staying in the cabana next to us had a similar experience and also left.

many resorts offer snorkeling, fishing, tennis, and paint ball. this resort offers mumblety-peg! :lol::lol:

p.s. sounds like the innkeeper should drug test his/her employees!

I've visited PSF 8-10 times over the past 20 years by motorcycle, plane and car. It is never the same, deserted when I first motorcycled there in 93 and in wonderful shape a few years later when Chary and Javier were there.

As to being a "resort," I have never considered it as such. Outpost maybe. I have always thought of it as one of the lovliest bits of beach in all Baja.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 12:02 AM

If anyone knows Beto's email address please forward it to me. We have much to talk about. I am eternally grateful to him for pulling that treble hook out of my thumb the summer before last.
LoyeB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Over New Years Pancho told us Slim offered him $7500 for his place but he wouldn't sell.

Props to Pancho ! Good to see someone who isnt overtaken by money.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
If anyone knows Beto's email address please forward it to me. We have much to talk about. I am eternally grateful to him for pulling that treble hook out of my thumb the summer before last.

betolucero2003@yahoo.com.mx

I love this place. One of my bucket list events is to launch outta BOLA and take the Grady down to Beto's place.

Does anyone know if you can sstill drive to thru the "resort's" north access road to the beach?

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by aguachico]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.