BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1    3  ..  9

BajaGeoff - 2-3-2013 at 01:49 PM

The What Is West Baja walk is officially under way! Yesterday morning I met up with Bryan and Justin down in San Ysidro to spend some time with them as their journey got started. After a ceremonial walk across the border, we drove out to Playas de Tijuana to the border fence to have lunch and get the walk under way. The guys were in good spirits as we took pictures and said our goodbyes. They are hoping to average 10 miles a day and I am waiting to get the Spot tracker info so I can post their progress on this thread. Here are some photos from yesterday:

Bryan and Justin geared up in San Ysidro

Bryan, Drake, Steve and Justin on the International road

Lunch at Playas de Tijuana

Let's do this!

Justin and Bryan checking out the border fence

And they're off!

What Is West Baja walk

Baja Bucko - 2-3-2013 at 02:07 PM

Once they get into the REAL Baja....how will they carry the tons of water they will need?

Just curious...

What Is West Baja walk

BajaGeoff - 2-3-2013 at 02:23 PM

They are following the coast most of the way and have a compact desal unit with them to convert sea water to fresh. The tough part is when they depart San Ignacio for the Sea of Cortez....actually...I think the whole trip is the tough part!

What Is West Baja walk

BajaNomad - 2-3-2013 at 02:26 PM

From their Facebook page, they posted that they slept here last night:

http://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

BajaNomad - 2-3-2013 at 02:32 PM

Original thread prior to the trip:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64837

ligui - 2-3-2013 at 02:37 PM

Good luck guys ! Wish you well , not my kind of trip, to much walking , but always like a good story . Keep us up dated on how things go.

Viva Baja :bounce:

DENNIS - 2-3-2013 at 02:45 PM

I guess I lost track of their plans. Do they have a Pit Crew with support vehicles?

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2013 at 04:10 PM

Why don't they hire a Sherpa to carry the surf boards?

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
The What Is West Baja walk is officially under way! Yesterday morning I met up with Bryan and Justin down in San Ysidro to spend some time with them as their journey got started. After a ceremonial walk across the border, we drove...

So they got all of 100 meters before "cheating" and traveling by car!

Tenderfoot wimps!

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 01:20 AM

I think it's great...guys have at it at your new adventure. Passion is what keeps the human spirit alive. We followed others who weren't as well prepared and they ended their journey all too soon. I sincerely hope you will keep us informed as to your activities. Very nice pictures, and I will follow your journey on Facebook. It will be interesting to see the perspective of Baja through eyes that aren't jaded.

chuckie - 2-4-2013 at 05:47 AM

Not to be cynical, but how many times are we supposed to get excited about people walking Baja?

The same old thing...

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 07:36 AM

Chuckie, I noticed your post last year about your travels, tell me, is this post more interesting reading than the boys' adventures? I think we are all here to share our experiences and for each of us, the experience is unique, whether sitting behind the computer as a keyboard commando or getting out there carrying your laptop as you go, so tell me, what is exciting for you to read? Is your post more relevant because you were traveling by car and not walking?

Headed Norte
Left Mulege at 6, am in the Motel Chavez in San Quintin, lots of new toreup road, LOTS Of army and Federales, they asked for my passport twice...Hit the champion of all potholes and bent something in old smokies hip..vibration over 65...My dog "Flash" scored a hot dog off the Federales north of Jesus Maria...
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Not to be cynical, but how many times are we supposed to get excited about people walking Baja?

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 10:24 AM

They made it to Rosarito Beach last night and camped in the sand....

Chuckie...they are not just walking Baja. They are also carrying their own video equipment and documenting the whole adventure for National Geographic. At this stage they are carrying all their own gear (including a surfboard) and have no support vehicle. They do have a vehicle meeting them in Loreto to bring down stand up paddleboards that they will then paddle from Loreto to La Paz. So...it's a different experience than what Graham, Mike and the Packs have done....and I think it is great!

I am meeting up with them this Wednesday to say hello.

Here is the spot map from day one:

Iflyfish - 2-4-2013 at 10:34 AM

Best of luck to these inveterate travelers, we will be watching with regard and respect. You have more hair than I do amigos!!
Nice work Geoff, you get them launched in style.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope their desal system is low tech....they are going to need it.

Speaking of desal....do you have a link to what they are carrying?

Well done amigo, well done.

Iflyfishconminamadamigos

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 10:34 AM

Day two....they went from Real del Mar to Rosarito Beach....covering almost 10 miles.

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 10:36 AM

Thanks Iflyfish!

I don't know what desal unit they are carrying, but I will find out. It would definitely be a good item for any Baja adventurer to include in their gear....

David K - 2-4-2013 at 10:40 AM

Thank you for posting the Spot maps Geoff! I know what that takes to do! ;)

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 10:43 AM

Thanks DK! I am going to try to make the maps bigger...they seem a little bit too small to really get all the detail.

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 10:46 AM

Here's another shot from Tijuana on Saturday....Justin, myself and Bryan.

David K - 2-4-2013 at 10:47 AM

OK, but it looks okay.... When I did Mike Younghusband's maps, I went with the satellite image then made a map of the route using the AAA map, because for most of Mike's route there was no detail at all on the Google map of roads, ranchos, etc.

chuckie - 2-4-2013 at 10:47 AM

Hey Doc, there arent too many ways to travel back to NW Kansas where I used to live (your quote) Hard to walk with a load of goods...It seems that this west baja walk is the NG one? I thought it was just some more folks doing a poorly planned trip...I suspect in the 30+ years I have lived here I have covered more of Baja the hard way than you will in the rest of your life..I wish them the best since I was mistaken....

Bob and Susan - 2-4-2013 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
...They do have a vehicle meeting them in Loreto to bring down stand up paddleboards that they will then paddle from Loreto to La Paz.

i don't think that's even possible...very risky

The hard way..

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 11:02 AM

Just sayin' Chuck, let's give a little respect to young people, hey they might not know all the tricks of the trade or have learned the hard way, but they will learn the hard way and will be telling their kids and grand kids the same things you are saying now. I have nothing against you relating your experiences (especially the part about the Federales giving hot dogs to the dog, pretty funny). Geoff, I will be in Ensenada later on today, have them U2U me for my phone number if they are in the area and I will treat them to dinner....or breakfast tomorrow!!
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hey Doc, there arent too many ways to travel back to NW Kansas where I used to live (your quote) Hard to walk with a load of goods...It seems that this west baja walk is the NG one? I thought it was just some more folks doing a poorly planned trip...I suspect in the 30+ years I have lived here I have covered more of Baja the hard way than you will in the rest of your life..I wish them the best since I was mistaken....

DENNIS - 2-4-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Geoff, I will be in Ensenada later on today, have them U2U me for my phone number if they are in the area and I will treat them to dinner....or breakfast tomorrow!!

Be sure and get fotos of the intrepid adventurers dining at Sano's. It'll add a lot to the trip report. :lol:

BajaGeoff - 2-4-2013 at 11:31 AM

Hey Doc....Today I think their destination is right by K-38 south of Rosarito. Bryan's grandmother has a house there. How long will you be in Ensenada?

Sano's

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 12:31 PM

Yes, Sano's has a great bar menu, NY Strip burgers and great fries with blue cheese for 90 pesos, and Baja Fries with Filet Mignon for the same...they will love it, thanks for the suggestion, Dennis..!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Geoff, I will be in Ensenada later on today, have them U2U me for my phone number if they are in the area and I will treat them to dinner....or breakfast tomorrow!!

Be sure and get fotos of the intrepid adventurers dining at Sano's. It'll add a lot to the trip report. :lol:

DENNIS - 2-4-2013 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, Sano's has a great bar menu, NY Strip burgers and great fries with blue cheese for 90 pesos, and Baja Fries with Filet Mignon for the same...they will love it, thanks for the suggestion, Dennis

A new special from Nat Geo....."Baja...... from the cutting room floor." :lol:

paranewbi - 2-4-2013 at 03:23 PM

" don't think that's even possible...very risky"

After just watching the 'X-games' on TV and also a kid (JJ Florence) win the Volcom Pipe Pro (on the internet) in some of the craziest big surf ever at Pipeline...let's watch the younger generation take their best shot at what some of us have done in differant ways over the years and cheer them on!

I for one am amazed at what they've done to my days of surfing, skateboarding, kayaking, skiing, and everything else! Let's let them show us how to walk it (and paddle board it).

DENNIS - 2-4-2013 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Let's let them show us how to walk it (and paddle board it).

Sorry. I just get the feeling that these guys are a bit overly ambitious, ill prepared and naive.
By the way....those arn't paddleboards.......they're toys.
I do hope I'm wrong.

mtgoat666 - 2-4-2013 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Let's let them show us how to walk it (and paddle board it).

Sorry. I just get the feeling that these guys are a bit overly ambitious, ill prepared and naive.
By the way....those arn't paddleboards.......they're toys.
I do hope I'm wrong.

somebody's been there, done that!
for example, in 2007 some guy paddled entire CA coast. every year many people paddle molokai to oahu in a race.
piece of cake!
cake walk!
let the kids eat their cake!

DENNIS - 2-4-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
somebody's been there, done that!
for example, in 2007 some guy paddled entire CA coast. every year many people paddle molokai to oahu in a race.

I'm guessing they do these things on paddleboards....not five foot surf guns.

El Jefe - 2-4-2013 at 04:52 PM

Stand up paddle (SUP) boards designed for distance paddling are usually about 12.5 to 14 feet long, about 29 inches wide and four inches thick. Lots of flotation and designed for speed. Their biggest problem will be winds with related chop and a scarcity of beach landing sites on part of the route.

I would paddle some of that route in a heartbeat, but some of it will be a challenge. Certainly more than an oldster like me would want to attempt. But I'm betting these guys will do just fine.

Hook - 2-4-2013 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan i don't think that's even possible...very risky

That is probably the least risky section of the Sea of Cortez proper, along the Baja coast. Many places to put in on the peninsula and the islas, lots of sandy shore and many, many boaters in the area this time of year, if things turn amiss.

A waterproof VHF radio would be a big plus for them in an emergency.

Ateo - 2-4-2013 at 05:00 PM

Didn't we hear the SUP's would be delivered or dropped off for the paddling portions? Geez.....enough criticism. Let these dudes succeed or fail. They know the consequences. Right now they are in the moment of the memory they'll be thinking back at when they're old and decrepit like the rest of us.

Sounds like an epic trip and I wish them the best.

paranewbi - 2-4-2013 at 05:05 PM

Ok I know some of these postings are deep but...
The youth of today whether walking the Baja routa, or (not using their board in the photo to paddle board but having someone drop off a SUP in Lorreto for them! DUH) are far outdistancing themselves from the (wanna be still recognized) pioneers of yesterday and charting their own course in ways most of us on this board will never have the chance to duplicate!

My post cited the amazing abilities of the kids now who do unimaginable things on boards I grew up with and advanced through building myself, yet never could dream of seeing done what is done today by young persons such as these! (although I still get out there and try).

Whatever 'has been done' will be done over and over, but that does not mean the adventure is not somehow pushed further into the amazing sphere and will that is man's abilities...when we call it quits, then it should only be because they cant put anymore stents in your heartclogged arteries and leave you in your recliner grousing about what use to be.

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 06:39 PM

I am in Ensenada now, and will be here all day Tuesday and the rest of the week. Feel free to contact me!!
Quote:
Hey Doc....Today I think their destination is right by K-38 south of Rosarito. Bryan's grandmother has a house there. How long will you be in Ensenada?

Paulina - 2-4-2013 at 08:36 PM

BajaGeoff,

I noticed on their fb page they posted that they were going for a "naked sundown dip in the middle of Rosarito". You might want to mention to them that skinny dipping is best done under the cover of darkness and not in populated areas, as it could put an early end to their adventure. I've nothing against it, (and yes, I'd probably watch) but from my understanding it is not socially acceptable in Baja.

I wish the boys luck and look forward to their fb posting.

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 2-4-2013 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
BajaGeoff,

I noticed on their fb page they posted that they were going for a "naked sundown dip in the middle of Rosarito". You might want to mention to them that skinny dipping is best done under the cover of darkness and not in populated areas, as it could put an early end to their adventure. I've nothing against it, (and yes, I'd probably watch) but from my understanding it is not socially acceptable in Baja.

P>*)))>{

Wait....This could be a whole other Nat geo special...."Arrested and thrown in the Love Tank at La Mesa prison for frolicking butt-nekid in the frothy breakers of Rosarito Beach."
The search for their clothing continues.

chuckie - 2-4-2013 at 08:49 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

EnsenadaDr - 2-4-2013 at 08:52 PM

Come on Dennis, after a few Pacificos you think your cliff is La Quebrada and you are diving into Acapulco Bay......!! Swim trunks or not...only your gardener knows for sure!!

mtgoat666 - 2-4-2013 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
BajaGeoff,

P>*)))>{

Wait....This could be a whole other Nat geo special...."Arrested and thrown in the Love Tank at La Mesa prison for frolicking butt-nekid in the frothy breakers of Rosarito Beach."
The search for their clothing continues.

It occurs to me that Nomad comments will make a really funny set of subtitles for the video the boys are making :lol:

DENNIS - 2-5-2013 at 09:00 AM

So....where are the boys today? If they play their calendar right, they might walk right into Carnaval in Ensenada. Fat Tuesday is a week away.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

BajaNomad - 2-5-2013 at 09:13 AM

Looks like they are still at K38:

http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

BajaNomad - 2-5-2013 at 09:16 AM

I was noticing by their Spot tracking, that the place they spent the night in the unfinished condo building was at Punta Bandera, near where the Trump Towers project was slated for.

http://goo.gl/maps/cTuAA

EnsenadaDr - 2-5-2013 at 09:17 AM

From what they last wrote, they were staying at Grandma's house in Rosarito...I wouldn't think anyone would have any objections to Grandma preparing a homemade bowl of Caldo de Res to fortify them for their journey now do you? Although I don't think there is anything wrong with them eating at a high end restaurant in Ensenada, or carrying laptops to document their trip...I kinda like the modern improvements made in Mexico...combining the old with the new!!

BajaNomad - 2-5-2013 at 09:25 AM

They just updated their FB page a few minutes ago.

Said they're passing Las Gaviotas right now.... and that last night a local they didn't know invited them in to dinner.

EnsenadaDr - 2-5-2013 at 09:32 AM

Sounds like a great adventure, giving them plenty of time before the heat settles in. It would be pure suicide to start the journey in early summer.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
They just updated their FB page a few minutes ago.

Said they're passing Las Gaviotas right now.... and that last night a local they didn't know invited them in to dinner.

BajaGeoff - 2-5-2013 at 11:35 AM

Here is the day three map.....Rosarito to K-38. It looks like they turned the Spot off to conserve the battery. When I talked to them yesterday, they said because of all the cloudiness, they have not been able to use their solar chargers as much as they would like. I will meet up with them tomorrow...

DENNIS - 2-5-2013 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
they said because of all the cloudiness, they have not been able to use their solar

I have solar decklights that won't even charge in this overcast. It's a nasty day out there.

BajaGeoff - 2-5-2013 at 01:08 PM

Yeah....not a very awesome day Dennis. I would imagine if you are walking 10 our so miles it is pretty pleasant though.

DENNIS - 2-5-2013 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah....not a very awesome day Dennis. I would imagine if you are walking 10 our so miles it is pretty pleasant though.

I can only imagine. :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 2-5-2013 at 02:49 PM

In Baja, having a cool breeze while walking is everything...the smartest move they made was picking the right weather.

DENNIS - 2-5-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
In Baja, having a cool breeze while walking is everything...the smartest move they made was picking the right weather.

It's supposed to rain in a couple of days so I hope you're right.

EnsenadaDr - 2-5-2013 at 02:55 PM

Dennis, a day or two of rain doesn't hurt anyone, and rain doesn't last long in Baja, if at all, you've been down here long enough to know that. The heat is what kills in Baja, not the rain. That is why I was very much against two older folks trekking it out in the summer with all the health problems they had.

mtgoat666 - 2-5-2013 at 03:01 PM

Quote:

And they're off!

I bet the surfboard is given away after first day of hiking in high winds,...

EnsenadaDr - 2-5-2013 at 03:03 PM

You could always carry it under your arms with the tip facing the winds, would work alot better aerodynamically....

durrelllrobert - 2-6-2013 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
You could always carry it under your arms with the tip facing the winds, would work alot better aerodynamically....
..but aerodynamically it will provide lift the way it is. That will cut down on the need to walk around all those arroyos.:lol::lol:

paranewbi - 2-6-2013 at 08:28 AM

At 15 years old I would take off for a couple of weeks with my backpack and board and surf up and down the cali coast from San Fran down. Although I was hitchen rides (1960's) I did a lot of walking and that was when boards were in the 12 -15 pound range. Never once regretted it and no surfer would ever think of going without a board even if it meant leaving everything else behind to continue with it. Now my board is only a couple of pounds but it's the 4 block walk to the beach that kills me!

J.P. - 2-6-2013 at 06:36 PM

We passed the guy carrying the board this afternoon about 3-30 he wasnt too far south of k38. he was by himself wonder whats up.

[Edited on 2-7-2013 by J.P.]

DENNIS - 2-6-2013 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
We passed the guy carrying the board this afternoon about 3-30 he wasnt too far south of k38. he was by himself wonder whats up.

Which way was he walking? :lol:

J.P. - 2-6-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The same way we were going.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

desertcpl - 2-6-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

they got lost

BajaNomad - 2-6-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

There was a SPOT track from about 2pm today at La Salina. Looks like there was an early lunch at Puerto Nuevo yesterday.

http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

Retireded - 2-6-2013 at 07:41 PM

My wife and I saw them this afternoon. Stopped at the 74 km marker and waited for them to catch up. Where we pulled off was a couple hundred yards ahead of them, and BajaGeoff was also there, walking and shooting video. We all had a beer and continued on our way. I only wish I were young enough to walk a ways with them. Very pleasant, interesting young men.

desertcpl - 2-6-2013 at 07:46 PM

Yup

they are really booking along,

they will make it to the Cape about the time Hillary is president,

MikeYounghusband - 2-6-2013 at 08:09 PM

Give them a break they haven't even hit the country yet. They got to get out of the city. Then the real journey will begin.
good luck guys, look me up in Loreto.

BajaGeoff - 2-6-2013 at 09:42 PM

Here is the day four walk map. Because it has been so overcast prior to today, they have not been able charge their gear with the solar panels.

If you saw Justin walking alone on the road with his board, I believe he was going surfing....

Full report from today's visit coming up next!

BajaNomad - 2-6-2013 at 09:50 PM

Quote:

Not that it's any big deal... but I believe the bottom point on your map was a tracking point from 9:30a or so this morning. There was an additional tracking point from around 2pm later in the day in La Salina further south.

Looking forward to your report of your visit with them.

:biggrin:

BajaNomad - 2-6-2013 at 10:11 PM

And Geoff's got "breakfast" pics from La Salina today (just posted to FB).... I'm SO confused!

BajaGeoff - 2-6-2013 at 10:19 PM

Confusion no more Doug!

This morning I headed down to Baja to meet up with Justin and Bryan. They had spent the night near the campground at La Fonda, and then started heading south at first light. With their new Telcel phone, our communication had been good, and they sent me a text that they had made it down to La Salina.

When I arrived, they were in great spirits and enjoying the first bit of sunshine they had seen on the trip. Their solar panels were soaking in juice and they were also able to plug into the AC outlets on the patio to charge up their gear.

Once the restaurant opened, we had a great breakfast and enjoyed talking to our La Salina host, Gustavo.

I decided to tag along for a little bit to shoot some video and 15 minutes into our walk we ran into Baja Nomad "Retireded" and his wife Mary. They had seen the guys walking and pulled over to offer us cold beer and water. So great to meet you Ed and thanks for stopping! Bryan and Justin were stoked by your hospitality and impressed by awesomeness of the Baja Nomad forum!

After stocking up on some food items at the mercado south of La Salina, the dudes were off and I had to head back to San Diego. I will be meeting up with them Saturday and will have another full report!

Viva Baja!

DENNIS - 2-7-2013 at 07:36 AM

Thanks Geoff.

Curt63 - 2-7-2013 at 12:35 PM

The guys just posted this to facebook with a pic them dressing their foot blisters

"Blisters. Mo fixes his on the side of the highway just south of Salsipuedes. Mine has yet to merit a swaddling. We're now very close to Ensenada. Sun is out for the first time in days but the wind is cold. TELCEL service is pumping 3G strong everywhere we've been. Battery life is another issue with the clouds shading our solar panels..."

David K - 2-7-2013 at 02:35 PM

To have blisters just 50 miles into a 1000+ mile journey is no bueno!

BornFisher - 2-7-2013 at 02:38 PM

My cousin and I were going to Ensenada today when I told him to stop at the whale viewing rest area (south of Salsipuedes). Much to my surprise, there were Justin and Bryan eating lunch and charging their equipment. Lunch was pb&j, with bananas and tortillas. I said hello,took their picture and we talked a bit. Justin said they may stop at San Miguel today and get in a surf session (big waves today). Anyway they are in great spirits, and will have company in the Ensenada area! Best of luck guys, it was great meeting you!!

DENNIS - 2-7-2013 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
To have blisters just 50 miles into a 1000+ mile journey is no bueno!

No bueno at all. Blisters get easily infected. Hope they have what's required to keep them clean.
Maybe they need a house call from a doctora.

BajaGeoff - 2-7-2013 at 03:44 PM

Here is the day five route, although they didn't get to ping the start point near La Fonda with their Spot tracker. A portion of this morning's walk can also be seen as they made their way past Salsipuedes.

EnsenadaDr - 2-7-2013 at 04:26 PM

Maybe they can cut off the part of the sneaker where it is rubbing against the blisters so they can heal.

DENNIS - 2-7-2013 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe they can cut off the part of the sneaker where it is rubbing against the blisters so they can heal.

Sneakers? They had best be wearing Hiking Boots to support all that weight.

EnsenadaDr - 2-7-2013 at 04:45 PM

whatever it takes, Dennis, to heal up the break in the skin...

mtgoat666 - 2-7-2013 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
The guys just posted this to facebook with a pic them dressing their foot blisters

"Blisters. Mo fixes his on the side of the highway just south of Salsipuedes. Mine has yet to merit a swaddling. We're now very close to Ensenada. Sun is out for the first time in days but the wind is cold. TELCEL service is pumping 3G strong everywhere we've been. Battery life is another issue with the clouds shading our solar panels..."

tenderfeet!

isn't there an iphone app for fixing that? :lol:

their first time hiking multi-days, toughness will come with time...

Retireded - 2-7-2013 at 05:36 PM

Last night, I told my landlord and his wife about meeting these guys. My landlord just came home from shopping with his wife and came to my door to tell me in excited tones that they had just seen Bryan and Justin in El Sauzal and stopped to talk for a minute. I told them last night that they were easy to spot, both with backpacks and one carrying a surfboard. These guys have walked a long way since we saw them yesterday afternoon. No wonder they are getting blisters. I'm wishing them the best of luck, and hope they have a very pleasant adventure. It seems to be starting that way.

vacaenbaja - 2-7-2013 at 05:57 PM

Blisters? Tenderfoots!

Ateo - 2-7-2013 at 06:19 PM

Those feet will harden up. Dip them in the Pacific. Just not by a sewage plant.

vacaenbaja - 2-7-2013 at 08:22 PM

Maybe they have new shoes that are not yet broken in. That will do it too.

Retireded - 2-7-2013 at 08:27 PM

They will either break in the boots or the feet. Hope they dont suffer too much in the process.

DENNIS - 2-7-2013 at 09:00 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, the risk of infection is serious. Blisters are wide open wounds and infect easily. They could also bring this journey to an early end or a timeout may be called for. If that were the case, they're still close enough to the starting line to begin again. Nothing will be lost and Baja will continue to be a learning process.

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by DENNIS]

Begin the Beguine...

EnsenadaDr - 2-7-2013 at 09:25 PM

Blisters aren't fatal, and a few days rest would clear up any blister...I don't think anyone expects these boys to walk non-stop. A day or two rest in between their days of trekking would be warranted for anyone, including a hot shower and a good night sleep, and clean clothes. This would be addressing personal hygiene and health that would be mandatory for anyone taking such a long walk. As a physician and a concerned adult, if anyone presented with any type of physical problem I would expect others to understand and allow them to recuperate and move on...not give up...that's absurd!!!
Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier, the risk of infection is serious. Blisters are wide open wounds and infect easily. They could also bring this journey to an early end or a timeout may be called for. If that were the case, they're still close enough to the starting line to begin again. Nothing will be lost and Baja will continue to be a learning process.

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by DENNIS]

BajaGeoff - 2-7-2013 at 09:34 PM

I think they will be fine. These guys have been traveling to Baja for years, they love roughing it and have pretty much gone feral staying out at Isla Natividad. (They shared some awesome stories with me yesterday!) A few blisters aren't going to stop them...and they have medical supplies to offset the risk of infection. I am most likely heading down Saturday to meet up and make a peanut butter delivery!

EnsenadaDr - 2-7-2013 at 09:45 PM

Looks like they had some new boots on when I looked at the pics that needed to be broken in.
Quote:
I think they will be fine. These guys have been traveling to Baja for years, they love roughing it and have pretty much gone feral staying out at Isla Natividad. (They shared some awesome stories with me yesterday!) A few blisters aren't going to stop them...and they have medical supplies to offset the risk of infection. I am most likely heading down Saturday to meet up and make a peanut butter delivery!

BajaGeoff - 2-8-2013 at 10:22 AM

They made some good progress yesterday...blisters and all!

BajaGeoff - 2-8-2013 at 11:20 AM

Iflyfish....I finally got the scoop on the desal unit they have. It is made by a company called Katadyn. I don't know exactly what model they have, but it is similar to this one:

The company website is http://www.katadyn.com

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by BajaGeoff]

DENNIS - 2-8-2013 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Iflyfish....I finally got the scoop on the desal unit they have. It is made by a company called Katadyn. I don't know exactly what model they have, but it is similar to this one:

The company website is http://www.katadyn.com

I think that's the 4000 dollar, 12 volt model. They make a manual model for about half that price.
These seem a bit large to be lugging around. I hope they didn't settle on one of the small purifiers. I don't think that'll work for de-sal.

BajaGeoff - 2-8-2013 at 02:07 PM

I'll find out which one they have tomorrow Dennis.

And if this rain keeps up, they are going to have to change the name of the expedition from What Is West to What Is Wet!

DENNIS - 2-8-2013 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'll find out which one they have tomorrow Dennis.

And if this rain keeps up, they are going to have to change the name of the expedition from What Is West to What Is Wet!

Where is all the rain, Geoff? We had a very little out here before sunrise, but nothing since.

David K - 2-8-2013 at 03:00 PM

Raining off and on up here in Oceanside, Vista and San Marcos today... real strong downpours for a few minutes, then sunshine.

DENNIS - 2-8-2013 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Raining off and on up here in Oceanside, Vista and San Marcos today... real strong downpours for a few minutes, then sunshine.

They were calling for strong winds as well. Did that happen yet?
Maybe it's all on the way down here.

David K - 2-8-2013 at 03:05 PM

Yes... real strong wind across Hwy. 78 when I went to have lunch with Baja Angel today (about 11:45am)... and the flags were horizontal. But, not for long. I am back home in Oceanside, 5 miles from the coast, and no strong winds... sky all clouded up, but not raining as I type this.

DENNIS - 2-8-2013 at 03:42 PM

I think the rain is about ready to begin here. Wind is tolerable at 15-MPH.

BajaGeoff - 2-8-2013 at 07:16 PM

I got the scoop on the desal unit. You were right Dennis....they are using one of the smaller units...the Katadyn Survivor 35:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by BajaGeoff]

David K - 2-8-2013 at 07:19 PM

I asked Graham about what he's doing about water, and he has one of those (or like it) but it takes an hour of pumping just to get a gallon. So, he is bringing water and has his still, like from the 1980's walk.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9