BajaNomad

Extra Manteca and mayo...please!!

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 05:43 AM

Next time you go to your favorite fish taco place, or tortas de carne asada, observe the amount of mayo that is being spread on your torta (one tablespoon has 100 calories, and I have seen them dollop maybe a 1/4 cup on tortas)
or what kind of fat your fish taco place is using to fry those tender morsels in. A once every two week experience is not going to kill you, but consider this guy who weighed in at 180 pounds having a heart attack at the Heart Attack grill in Las Vegas...The next time you order your torta, say "No mayo please", I do, and it tastes still great, probably from all the fat in the carne asada.....you might even get the guy to stop using manteca to fry his fish tacos in...to be honest I never asked before but after reading this article I will!!

http://fox8.com/2013/02/13/heart-attack-grills-top-patron-di...

paranewbi - 2-13-2013 at 07:49 AM

I agree totally that we all should watch what we ingest...much more so now that I'm squeezing out every year I can get and translate that into more time south! But...I knew a doctor in Chicago that was extremely fit and jogged every day at lunch time. Came back into the hospital corridor one day and had a massive hear attack with no revival possible.
Gonna stick to surfing.

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 08:31 AM

I have posted articles here on collateral circulation before, but studying the recent videos for my medical boards have brought it back into my mind as to how important it is. As you age, arteries get blocked by cholesterol buildup. If you continue to exercise and put physical demands on your body, even 30 minutes a day, your body will grow new arterioles known as collateral circulation. My dad was always on his feet in the restaurant business, so when he had a stroke in the brain in the Circle of Willis, his collateral circulation saved his life. When I worked at Kaiser San Diego, patients came in from Real del Mar and Bajamar Country Clubs with heart attacks in their 50's. Why? Because they sat behind their desks, never exercised and never grew collateral circulation to their heart. So they finally decide to retire, head to the golf course and walk, walk, walk...and they end up with heart attacks. Get out there 30 minutes a day and grow that collateral circulation, you may just save your life!!

Genetics play a big role..

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 08:54 AM

Yes, paranewbi, genetics play a big role in heart disease as well. That is why it behooves all of us youngsters over 50 to get a stress test of the heart, an easy test that can rule out serious blockage of the coronary arteries, that is the number one cause of heart attacks.
Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
I agree totally that we all should watch what we ingest...much more so now that I'm squeezing out every year I can get and translate that into more time south! But...I knew a doctor in Chicago that was extremely fit and jogged every day at lunch time. Came back into the hospital corridor one day and had a massive hear attack with no revival possible.
Gonna stick to surfing.

Jim Fixx

neilm81301 - 2-13-2013 at 09:45 AM

James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

(per: Wikipedia)

Sometimes I wonder if we know as much as we think we do.

Neil

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 10:02 AM

That was who I was thinking of!! Classic case of bad genetics!!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

Neil

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

MitchMan - 2-13-2013 at 10:19 AM

While walking on the malecon in La Paz, just for my amusement, I will watch a street vendor make a hot dog or a hamburger. The amount of mayonnaise they squirt..repeatedly...on those things is mind boggling!

The other thing that I have noticed in the past 5 years is the apparent switch from taco stands to hot dog and hamburger stands. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that traditional Mexican food is becomming less and less common place in restaurants. Good refried beans is not so common anymore. And good menudo is actually scarce.

I do have a question for the good doctor, though. Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by MitchMan]

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 10:21 AM

I don't know about that...good chile rellenos are my all time favorite...you think we can convince them to start cooking them in canola oil...or is manteca actually much tastier??
Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
While walking on the malecon in La Paz, just for my amusement, I will watch a street vendor make a hot dog or a hamburger. The amount of mayonnaise they squirt..repeatedly...on those things is mind boggling!

The other thing that I have noticed in the past 5 years is the apparent switch from taco stands to hot dog and hamburger stands. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that traditional Mexican food is becomming less and less common place in restaurants. Good refried beans is not so common anymore. And good menudo is actually scarce.

The silent killer !!

captkw - 2-13-2013 at 10:33 AM

Last week went to the ER for a enflamed/abciss close to my eye..upon admission,A nurse ckecking my blood pressure,freaked and and did it again..she looked at me like I was a dead man.LOL,,skipping the weight and temp, she rushed me into a room and a doc was there in minutes..started me on meds and stated that 218/160 was not a good thing !!! LOL You Think !!that was 8 days ago..today 131/82...Yee Ha...but no more ,pizza,beer,prime rib,,rib eye,salt, hot chicks (not!) greasy good tasting food!! And at a healthy 52 in shape guy,,I would have never guessed,, That I had High blood pressure...Felt great..The Silent Killer almost got me...guess some older folks around here know about this....A Real wakeup call for me..K&T:cool:

MitchMan - 2-13-2013 at 10:34 AM

Wish they would cook with canola oil. I only cook with olive oil and canola, and, in Baja, Canola is pretty cheap.

But, as my Italian Organic Chemistry teacher taught me, oil is oil in that a lot of oil, whether it is Grapeseed, Rapeseed (Canola), Olive oil or palm oil or saturated animal fat is still not to be encourage and is not good for your vascular system. Low fat/oil in your diet is still preferred healthy eating.

I love the chile rellenos and cheese enchiladas that Rancho Viejo II makes in La Paz. The sauce is made with guajillo chiles.

Doctor, did you see the additional question I askd you? I added to my post before this one.

DENNIS - 2-13-2013 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

I don't think stomach lining is considered "organ meat." :?::?:

captkw - 2-13-2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Last week went to the ER for a enflamed/abciss close to my eye..upon admission,A nurse ckecking my blood pressure,freaked and and did it again..she looked at me like I was a dead man.LOL,,skipping the weight and temp, she rushed me into a room and a doc was there in minutes..started me on meds and stated that 218/160 was not a good thing !!! LOL You Think !!that was 8 days ago..today 131/82...Yee Ha...but no more ,pizza,beer,prime rib,,rib eye,salt, hot chicks (not!) greasy good tasting food!! And at a healthy 52 in shape guy,,I would have never guessed,, That I had High blood pressure...Felt great..The Silent Killer almost got me...guess some older folks around here know about this....A Real wakeup call for me..K&T:cool:
PS.. still have the abciss,,they were so worried about me having a stroke...LOL..still kicking:yes:

durrelllrobert - 2-13-2013 at 10:50 AM

When i worked at China Lake my kids' Pediatrician was constantly ragging on me to quit smoking. He was an avid cross country runner that ran past my house and up to the top of "B" mountain with weights around his ankles every morning. Sure enough I saw him fall down right behind my house one morning. When I went to see what was up he appeard to be unconscious so I ran inside and called 911 since i didn't know CPR. By the time an ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital he had passed away due to a heart attack. At least that's what the paper said.

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 10:54 AM

How old was he, Bob?
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
When i worked at China Lake my kids' Pediatrician was constantly ragging on me to quit smoking. He was an avid cross country runner that ran past my house and up to the top of "B" mountain with weights around his ankles every morning. Sure enough I saw him fall down right behind my house one morning. When I went to see what was up he appeard to be unconscious so I ran inside and called 911 since i didn't know CPR. By the time an ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital he had passed away due to a heart attack. At least that's what the paper said.

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 11:04 AM

Dennis, organ meat does refer to entrails, brains, anything that is not muscle or bone, when the phrase is used as far as cooking goes. My grandmother told me my cousin used to love organ meats, kidneys, brains...she used that phrase as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

I don't think stomach lining is considered "organ meat." :?::?:

chuckie - 2-13-2013 at 12:13 PM

Lard actually lubricates the arteries. A lard laden meal followed immediately by a double shot of Tequila, which acts as a solvent, flushs the circulatory system :lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 12:55 PM

Mitch,

I went to the esteemed Livestrong site that is no longer associated with Lance. I must admit I didn't know the answer about the calorie content. Here is the link that will tell you everything you need to know about tripe. It also states it is relatively low calorie, but if fried of course, it would add substantial calorie intake. I am not a fan of menudo, however.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517251-is-tripe-fattening/

Quote:

I do have a question for the good doctor, though. Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by MitchMan]

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 12:57 PM

You are right, it flushes the lard right to the heart in one big lardball.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Lard actually lubricates the arteries. A lard laden meal followed immediately by a double shot of Tequila, which acts as a solvent, flushs the circulatory system :lol::lol:

DavidE - 2-13-2013 at 01:38 PM

That lube and flush account sounds like it blocked up something else, too.

Having had a few radionuclide stress tests*, songrams, blood tests ad infinitum twice I have to now admit I feel a hundred and ten times better when the cardiologist declares: :No Ischemic Heart disease evident. "All Clear!" But your BP needs very close and careful monitoring.

* The doctors agree the chemical test is significantly better than the treadmill.

With hypertension it is my belief that the addition of enalapril or linosipril Rx makes a significant different in later life condition of renal (kidney) condition. Especially important with Diabetic patients, but in truth, essential medication for all who suffer hypertension.

Another b-tch point, is the failure of the medical community to emphasize the importance of a balanced regimen of electrolytes. Minerals. Like potassium, magnesium supplements AS WELL AS cutting down on sodium. Anemia is another issue that is virtually ignored until it degenerates red blood cell count almost to the point of needing a transfusion. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the heart muscle and brain.

Self education is really what is needed but where does an individual find basic and understandable medical advice on the internet that isn't laced with voodoo quackery?

Absolute basic troubleshooting, and verification of the essentials is what a majority of MD's overlook or relegate to the "unimportant: department when conducting a physical check. Many years ago a basic procedure referred to as a "Multi-Phasic" was in vogue. What happened?

Thirty, sixty, or ninety, a patient needs to know and pay attention to the question if they are getting adequate examinations and troubleshooting attention from their MD. My USA cardiologist complained when I quipped that "Ninety Percent Of The Responsibility Of Staying Healthy Is On The Shoulders Of The Patient, NOT The Doctor".

But where does a patient find a "How To" list? A list of points that must be examined thoroughly during a checkup, and the frequency needed to stay self informed about one's health?

I had to start World War III with my doctors to get them to listen to my certainty that hypertension was severely aggravating the occurrence of atrial fibrillation. That and a very low level of magnesium in the blood, which by the way is one hell of a lot more common than the medical community understands. With Afib, tight control on Systolic and Diastolic numbers is VITAL. Not debatable.

zoesterone - 2-13-2013 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't know about that...good chile rellenos are my all time favorite...you think we can convince them to start cooking them in canola oil...or is manteca actually much tastier??
Quote:

[/quote

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by zoesterone]

You are WHAT you EAT ?

MrBillM - 2-13-2013 at 02:21 PM

THAT would make some people Scheisse.

Wait, That's True.

BTW, NOTHING beats French-Fries cooked in Lard.

With Mayo (rather than Catsup) to dip them in. The Euros have that one right.

Speaking of GOOD food, I LOVE watching the United States of Bacon on the History Channel. Some GREAT ideas for GREAT Food.

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by MrBillM]

DENNIS - 2-13-2013 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Speaking of GOOD food, I LOVE watching the United States of Bacon on the History Channel. Some GREAT ideas for GREAT Food.

Jeeezo....that show makes my arteries pucker. The star of the show is a dead man walkin'.

Cypress - 2-13-2013 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Jeeezo....that show makes my arteries pucker. The star of the show is a dead man walkin'.

:biggrin:

Good catch!!

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 05:37 PM

Sorry Captkw, I was busy earlier but did want to answer your post. I remember the same thing happening to me when I went on a routine check to a dentist in Hawaii. My blood pressure was through the roof. Sometimes, a serious thing can be caught by a routine exam. You are right, the Silent Killer can catch you unawares, and we all know, dead men tell no tales!!
Quote:

DENNIS - 2-13-2013 at 05:52 PM

A year or so back, a doctor in Maneadero had my blood tested and when he got the results he said, " Jeeezo....your blood sugar is really high. I mean really high."
I went online and bought a pile of testing equipment and started testing my blood suger....every morning before eating or coffee or anything.
I tested for a couple of months and never went up to 100 on the meter.
Turned out there was nothing wrong with my blood sugar. It was the testing lab that had the problem.

Don't know why I brought you this story. Jes did.

chuckie - 2-13-2013 at 06:15 PM

I wil be 80 years old pretty quick..BP this morning was 136/42....Like Emeril says "Pork fat Rules"....

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 06:31 PM

How many times a week do you eat pork fat?
Quote:
I wil be 80 years old pretty quick..BP this morning was 136/42....Like Emeril says "Pork fat Rules"....

DavidE - 2-13-2013 at 06:56 PM

IMHO it's mostly but not all genetic. Nordic people and orientals with adequate income live longer than other folks. A sugar rich and fat rich diet devastates the general Mexican population, especially the indigenous. A genetically identical group of indigena separated by the Rio Bravo had the more impoverished, thinner, less diabetic Mexico side indigena living 13 years longer than the group on the USA side.

Why do so many Irish males end up with dementia?

But FDA recommendations are like a fart in a whirlwind. Now studies show folks who consume regular margarine are much more at risk than folks who eat butter.

Now, food ADDITIVES are a whole other story. And how about the link between aluminum and Alzheimer disease?

Eat vegan, swallow handfuls of supplements, teetotal, stay away from cigarette smoke, avoid the sun, and jog five miles a day ---- only to get hit by a bus.

Ain't life a b-tch?

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by DavidE]

deportes - 2-13-2013 at 06:56 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy a few books. Some are used for a few bucks in Amazon. Some are Ebooks that even come in mp3. You can listen to them!

Go to youtube

Listen to Gary Taubes, and ( Dr. Lustig, Sugar the bitter truth).

Good Calories, Bad Calories - Gary Taubes (2007)

Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats [Paperback]
Mary Enig (Author), Sally Fallon (Author)

The mis information is causing us to become obese, diabetics, with plugged arteries.

You need Saturated fat to stay thin. Follow the Paleo diet.

deportes - 2-13-2013 at 07:12 PM

Quote:

You are correct. My old man eat no saturated fat, eat whole wheat bread with margarine. Great choice for a heart attack. Died at 60 after following the gov recommendations. from the 70's Mc. Govern was in charge then. Follow the government pyramid recommendations and you will be dead at a young age.
Eat coconut oil daily before breakfast or in your coffee, with cream no sugar. eat eggs with butter spinach, no bread, no tortillas.

Try it for a month and have you doctor test your cholesterol and triglycerides. Blood pressure will go down. Eat tons of green veggies and lamb, pork, fish, bovine from gracing. No corn syrup or corn fed animals. less fruit because of fructose. tons of green leaf veggies. brocolli
Stop the nonsense.

willardguy - 2-13-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
IMHO it's mostly but not all genetic. Nordic people and orientals with adequate income live longer than other folks. A sugar rich and fat rich diet devastates the general Mexican population, especially the indigenous. A genetically identical group of indigena separated by the Rio Bravo had the more impoverished, thinner, less diabetic Mexico side indigena living 13 years longer than the group on the USA side.

Why do so many Irish males end up with dementia?

But FDA recommendations are like a fart in a whirlwind. Now studies show folks who consume regular margarine are much more at risk than folks who eat butter.

Now, food ADDITIVES are a whole other story. And how about the link between aluminum and Alzheimer disease?

Eat vegan, swallow handfuls of supplements, teetotal, stay away from cigarette smoke, avoid the sun, and jog five miles a day ---- only to get hit by a bus.

Ain't life a b-tch?

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by DavidE]
when you say "orientals" are you speaking of nomads living on the east cape? or have you been licking beer cans again?:lol:

I luv Mayonesa

BeemerDan - 2-13-2013 at 11:23 PM

but I won't touch it south of the border period. Nor will I eat anywhere that has it displayed as a condiment baking in the sun.

chuckie - 2-14-2013 at 03:13 AM

I guess I do eat healthy, but more out of personal tastes than by plan. I have never liked mayo, love green veggies, dont eat much beef. Up until last year I owned-operated a hunting guide service, walking 4-6 miles/day about 100 days per year. My lard comment was intended to be a joke, but some of our more serious attendees didnt get it...Here in Baja I have a good garden and eat a lot of fish...

Mayo in Mexico

EnsenadaDr - 2-14-2013 at 12:21 PM

You ever notice the big jugs of mayo they use at the taco stands? They are out all day and all night...could cause some serious Salmonella problems...but the way they load up the tortas with it probably is gone in a few days...still..I am skeptical.
Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan
but I won't touch it south of the border period. Nor will I eat anywhere that has it displayed as a condiment baking in the sun.

Skipjack Joe - 2-14-2013 at 01:19 PM

From the original link:

Cash only, because you might die before the check clears.

I can't believe these guys. They take pride in killing people.

DavidE - 2-14-2013 at 02:05 PM

I don't refer to them as "asians" Willardguy because that it far too large an area. But I supposed you would rather I write, Japanese, Koreans (both) Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotians (excluding Hmong) Cambodians, Taiwanese, Thai, and Burmese. More politically correct? Need foot and end notes too?

vandenberg - 2-14-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:

Now that's my kind of reasoning.:biggrin::biggrin:

BYOM

MrBillM - 2-14-2013 at 02:21 PM

South of the Border.

I DO.

Of course, I never eat ANY of the stuff that vendors want to put on the Fish/Shrimp (only kind I ever eat) Tacos in Baja. Fish or Shrimp in the Tortilla. NOTHING else.

Only Mexican food that I eat.

I, for one, welcome the influx of Hamburger and Hot Dog vendors.

MY kind of food.

Plain, of course.

Speaking about in the sun !!

captkw - 2-14-2013 at 02:36 PM

It blows me away to see guys come in with fish, Just laying in the sun, On the bottom of a boat !!!! At least get a white towel and keep soaked !!! Talk about NOT, taking care of your Catch !!!!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by captkw]

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
South of the Border.

I DO.

Of course, I never eat ANY of the stuff that vendors want to put on the Fish/Shrimp (only kind I ever eat) Tacos in Baja. Fish or Shrimp in the Tortilla. NOTHING else.

Only Mexican food that I eat.

I, for one, welcome the influx of Hamburger and Hot Dog vendors.

MY kind of food.

Plain, of course.

thank you for staying in character, bill.

In The Sun !!

captkw - 2-14-2013 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
It blows me away to see guys come in with fish, Just laying in the sun, On the bottom of a boat !!!! At least get a white towel and keep soaked !!! Talk about NOT, taking care of your Catch !!!!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by captkw]

willardguy - 2-14-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't refer to them as "asians" Willardguy because that it far too large an area. But I supposed you would rather I write, Japanese, Koreans (both) Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotians (excluding Hmong) Cambodians, Taiwanese, Thai, and Burmese. More politically correct? Need foot and end notes too?
whoa E! you left out persians and indians! the first "orientals", right? :?:

bajadogs - 2-14-2013 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
You ever notice the big jugs of mayo they use at the taco stands? They are out all day and all night...could cause some serious Salmonella problems...but the way they load up the tortas with it probably is gone in a few days...still..I am skeptical.
Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan

I don't fear the mayo causing salmonella as much as I fear it causing a heart attack.

Here is a quote from the Mayo Clinic (no pun intended) -

"Commercially produced mayonnaise is an unlikely cause of food poisoning. This is because it is made with pasteurized eggs, which are heat treated to kill harmful bacteria, such as salmonella. It also has a high level of acidity — from ingredients such as vinegar or lemon juice — which inhibits bacteria growth."

I have eaten that sunbaked mayo many times. No food poisoning but blood pressure is a little high. Working on that now. :yes:

bajalinda - 2-15-2013 at 09:22 AM

Moving away a bit from mayo and manteca. Here's another thing I just don't get - what the heck is the big deal with NutriLeche? Why would you add "grasa vegetal" to milk? ....but it sells like crazy.

MitchMan - 2-15-2013 at 09:38 AM

I always stay away from that 'crema' or that white sauce that most street taco vendors have. Got a massive case of Moctezuma's Revenge from eating that stuff in Loreto back in 1999. Since then, no crema for me from any source be it street vendors or restaurants. Haven't had a case of the 'Revenge' since.

Never could find out what is in that crema sauce or what the general recipe for it is.

DENNIS - 2-15-2013 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Never could find out what is in that crema sauce or what the general recipe for it is.

I thought it was just watered down mayonaise. Water or milk....something like that.

DENNIS - 2-15-2013 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalinda
Moving away a bit from mayo and manteca. Here's another thing I just don't get - what the heck is the big deal with NutriLeche? Why would you add "grasa vegetal" to milk? ....but it sells like crazy.

Is the vegetable oil added to nonfat milk for the lactose intolerant?

Oh lordy.......there I go trying to figure out why things are done down here.
Never mind.

MitchMan - 2-15-2013 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I thought it was just watered down mayonaise. Water or milk....something like that.

It's watered down 'something', just not sure what.

chuckie - 2-16-2013 at 05:19 AM

HEADS UP! I did eat pork fat last night! Conasupo had the best looking beef liver, so I got some ,went to Sauls, bought bacon. Liver Bacon Onions! OH my....Bacon seemed to be way lean tho, produced hardly any residual fat...just sayin...

DavidE - 2-16-2013 at 03:17 PM

Chuckie your entirely forgot Popcorn made with coconut oil. Then saturated with a cascade of mantequilla and dusted with salt!

Now combine that with a liter jug of artificially flavored and colored, sugar laden pop...

"And Now You Talkin'!"

Popcorn Heaven

MrBillM - 2-16-2013 at 03:41 PM

Years ago, having heard just how GREAT popcorn popped in Coconut Oil was, I went looking around town for some.

No Luck.

Finally, one person told me I could find it at the Health-Food store.

That seemed odd given all of the negatives I also heard in that respect.

But, THERE it was and the gal behind the counter proceeded to extoll its great health value.

So I bought a significant amount.

Which caused her to ask WHAT I wanted that much for.

"For POPCORN".

"NO", she said, "It's Healthy ON your skin, not IN your body".

Nothing tastes BETTER, though.

And, you're right.

With REAL melted Butter.

Coconut Oil lowers the risk of heart attacks!!

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2013 at 03:52 PM

here is a link as to why Coconut Oil is GOOD for you!!

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surprising-health-benefits-co...

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2013 at 05:04 PM

How about opening a Heart Attack Grill Baja Style? Vote yes or no after this video...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartHealth/blair-river-hefty-h...

DENNIS - 2-16-2013 at 05:09 PM

I thought Coconut Oil was solid triglyceride........or something like that.
Am I thinking of Palm Oil?
Maybe it was 3 'n 1.

Paula - 2-16-2013 at 05:37 PM

I think I'll stick with extra virgin olive oil. Especially good when combined with aged balsamic and accomanied by wines from peru.

LancairDriver - 2-16-2013 at 06:10 PM

Sounds like three stents in the clogged arteries could have saved him. Maybe not in use back then?

Quote:

Neil

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2013 at 06:22 PM

His was a very strange case in that a stress test wouldn't have helped him because he never exhibited chest pain or discomfort while exercising or running in his case. However the key to his problem was his father died young of a heart attack at a young age. Yes, they did do bypass surgery or stents in those days. Here is an article from 1984 right after he died.

Blood pressure control is probably the most singularly responsible thing you can do to prevent a heart attack.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/24/science/the-doctor-s-world...
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Sounds like three stents in the clogged arteries could have saved him. Maybe not in use back then?

Quote:

Neil

The Atkins Diet

Gypsy Jan - 2-16-2013 at 06:44 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet

EnsenadaDr - 2-16-2013 at 06:51 PM

The Paleo Diet now very popular, is a descendant of the Atkins Diet.

The BEST Rule is .................

MrBillM - 2-16-2013 at 07:48 PM

Don't Worry. Eat Happy. Enjoy WHATEVER you like.

Simply accept whatever consequences there might be.

Get over the obsession with living as long as possible.

Once you make it into the Geezer years, any time is a bonus, anyway.

And, another bonus is a Good Steak, Bacon, Ribs, HOT DOGS, Popcorn, ICE CREAM and the like.

Topped off with a decent Cigar.

A cool Heineken (or Steinlager) now and then isn't bad either.

bajacalifornian - 2-17-2013 at 02:57 PM

I always order extra and take Lipitor.

EnsenadaDr - 2-17-2013 at 03:18 PM

Have you heard of Statin induced muscle pain?
Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
I always order extra and take Lipitor.

chuckie - 2-17-2013 at 03:25 PM

Didnt he play for the Oakland Raiders.?

EnsenadaDr - 2-17-2013 at 03:31 PM

Hmm, was that supposed to be funny? I didn't get it!! Doesn't sound like a football player's name that I know of!!

Hi EnsenadaDr

Gypsy Jan - 2-17-2013 at 05:16 PM

What is your opinion of the Atkins Diet?

EnsenadaDr - 2-17-2013 at 06:09 PM

My mother was on that diet and when I was younger I lost a lot of weight on it. I don't have any hatred towards it, I won't say it's the most healthy diet, but then again, it's better to get off the extra weight. The problem is as you get older, your metabolism slows down and so it's hard to lose weight on any diet.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
What is your opinion of the Atkins Diet?

MitchMan - 2-18-2013 at 11:19 AM

My experience with Lipitor is not good. It does in fact make a big difference in your cholesterol level, but at the expense of tremendous long term muscle strength.

My father-in-law, a robust midwesterner from rural beginnings with hands as strong as vises, in his early 80s, rides his bike for 16 miles a day every day, started taking lipitor and for those six months experienced tremendous loss of strength. He stopped taking lipitor about 4 months ago, is feeling better and stronger and went on a low cholesterol diet. He just took a blood test and with diet alone was able to get a 173 overall cholesterol reading.

I have been on lipitor for a while and noticed marked decrease in physical strength and an inability to get any strength back from regular weight lifting. I have since gone off lipitor and am experimenting with diet. Currently, I have been on a dairy free diet for one month and have noticed a definite decrease in alergy symptoms, especially nasal congestion and I am better able to relax in general. I was only ever able to get 4.5 to 5 hours sleep before the diet, now I regularly get 6.5 to 7 hours of sleep; huge difference. When I get back from Baja in late March, I will be going on a strict vegan diet to see if there is any difference in my overall health.

Lipitor was never, at least initially, envisioned to be taken for more than 10 years. There were no studies that had posited any expectations as to what truly long term lipitor use would do to humans. As people are living longer (possibly in part due to statins), now people are taking lipitor for extended periods.

It is a good idea to limit oil intake, eat salt and sugars moderately, stay away from processed meats like hot dogs and salamis, eat meat and dairy moderately and add good servings of fruit that you really like to all three meals per day to take up the place and crowd out much of your meat intake. Generally, most of us would make great health advances by simply eating less.

Easier said than done.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by MitchMan]

Eating RED and feeling the Pressure ?

MrBillM - 2-18-2013 at 03:34 PM

Today a.m. at the Doc's.

104/68.

I did avoid Beef and Pork and ate healthier for lunch.

KFC.

Original Recipe.

EnsenadaDr - 2-18-2013 at 03:52 PM

It's the calm before the storm, Mr. Bill. What percentage of your coronary arteries have blockage, and by how much....ah...only Colonel Sanders knows for sure!!

tripledigitken - 2-18-2013 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
.................and add good servings of fruit that you really like to all three meals per day to take up the place and crowd out much of your meat intake.

Be sure to track your blood sugar if you increase your fruit intake that much.

deportes - 2-18-2013 at 04:07 PM

It's not the meat it's the carbs you have to avoid!

DENNIS - 2-18-2013 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deportes

I ran into a buddy the other day at Paty's restaurant and noticed he wasn't wearing his usual huge Hawaiian shirt, but instead, a T-Shirt.

I asked him if he'd lost weight and he said yes, around 100 pounds.
After I recovered, I asked how and he said he basically cut out carbs.

I mean....100 pounds.

DavidE - 2-18-2013 at 05:20 PM

Good old Dad,

Chew on a few glyburide tablets then run to the refrigerator for a huge bowl of ice cream!

Ensenada Dr. What is your opinion of taking Isosorbide Dinitrate (a tiny amount perhaps 2,5 mg sublingual) to control spurious episodes of Stage 2 hypertension? Contraindications?

DavidE - 2-18-2013 at 05:28 PM

Make biscuits using a lot of butter...

Fry up a bunch of bacon. Remove from grease and crumble then set aside...

Use grease to make gravy. White flour, but add lots of thick cream when adding whole milk. Cook stirring constantly. Add more pure cream if too thick. Add enough salt to make gravy salty tasting. Best when eaten with biscuits. Added crumbled bacon...

Pour the thick mixture over a heap of biscuits. It's going to taste good so don't hold back. You can always skip lunch and dinner...

Enjoy, and proceed afterward to go sit in a recliner...

Then dial 911

EnsenadaDr - 2-18-2013 at 05:32 PM

Isosorbide is indicated for angina pectoris. It does have the secondary effect of lowering preload and reducing peripheral vascular resistance, but there are better medications on the market to control blood pressure especially in Diabetes such as ACE inhibitors and ARB's, which protect the kidneys. But hey, if your blood pressure is 120/80 and you get an occasional 140/90 and this works for you, by all means go for it. Hopefully, though, the spurious is really spurious, and you are checking your blood pressure daily to make sure of this. Blood pressure medicines are not meant to be stopped and started at whim, like taking the car out of the garage for a weekly Sunday drive. OH yeah, it's a nitrate, so don't take Viagra with it, or you might not make it through the date.

[Edited on 2-19-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

DavidE - 2-18-2013 at 06:00 PM

Much agreement. I think Enelapril and Linosipril are two of the wonder hypertension drugs of the world. How about an 135/75 followed three hours later by a 195/103? Only to decrease forty points eight hours later. Same at rest protocol verified with two different machines which have been test calibrated at a couple MD exams?

Spurious hypertension spikes are probably one the hottest medical topics we seniors have. Multi-faceted dietetic and medicinal control but still the spikes come (and go).

Adverse reaction to ED medications shouldn't be the only caution though. Orthostatic Hypotension (feeling lightheaded or faint when standing up) is a concern that needs to be recognized.

I am Rx'd Metopraol and Verapamil ER, and still even with 20 mg. doses of Enelapril I get spikes. I must "back off " the Rx of the first 2 medications because of subnormal pulse (sometimes in the forties!), and have been using the Isosorbide Dinirtrate as an adjunct. Very incremental and occasional dosing. But I refuse to "live" with a BP factor of 200/100. To do so IMHO is stupid and the USA medical community just shrugged when I complained about it. I Rx's the Isosorbide myself.

I'll gladly exchange my Isosorbide for a little "frisky" any day :)

EnsenadaDr - 2-18-2013 at 06:09 PM

A very good medication to lower those spikes is Clonidine. A 0.2 mg. dose can bring your 200 systolic down to 140 in an hour or so. Clonidine also makes you sleep, so at night it's a great drug and for a wonderful afternoon nap, you can't beat it.

DENNIS - 2-18-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Enjoy, and proceed afterward to go sit in a recliner...

Eventually a recliner with wheels. :no:

Udo - 2-18-2013 at 06:21 PM

For what it's worth...!

When I do fish tacos here (or any place else) I always use the fresh manteca for the fry oil.
My excuse is that once every few months is not going to kill you.

I have done fish tacos in manteca, then peanut oil and the next week I did them in Mexican Manteca.

The comments were overwhelmingly in favor of the manteca.
Used in moderation...I feel it will do no harm to your body.

Same thing with using a little manteca (about a tablespoon) to quick-fry carne asada over a very hot griddle and cooking the meat rare.

I feel that ANY food that is somewhat harmful to your health is OK as long as it is used very moderately!

Udo - 2-18-2013 at 06:24 PM

All this Professional medical advice is making me have a spike in blood pressure.

Quote:
Much agreement. I think Enelapril and Linosipril are two of the wonder hypertension drugs of the world. How about an 135/75 followed three hours later by a 195/103? Only to decrease forty points eight hours later. Same at rest protocol verified with two different machines which have been test calibrated at a couple MD exams?

Spurious hypertension spikes are probably one the hottest medical topics we seniors have. Multi-faceted dietetic and medicinal control but still the spikes come (and go).

Adverse reaction to ED medications shouldn't be the only caution though. Orthostatic Hypotension (feeling lightheaded or faint when standing up) is a concern that needs to be recognized.

I am Rx'd Metopraol and Verapamil ER, and still even with 20 mg. doses of Enelapril I get spikes. I must "back off " the Rx of the first 2 medications because of subnormal pulse (sometimes in the forties!), and have been using the Isosorbide Dinirtrate as an adjunct. Very incremental and occasional dosing. But I refuse to "live" with a BP factor of 200/100. To do so IMHO is stupid and the USA medical community just shrugged when I complained about it. I Rx's the Isosorbide myself.

I'll gladly exchange my Isosorbide for a little "frisky" any day :)

EnsenadaDr - 2-18-2013 at 06:28 PM

I agree....This thread is just giving food for thought!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
For what it's worth...!

When I do fish tacos here (or any place else) I always use the fresh manteca for the fry oil.
My excuse is that once every few months is not going to kill you.

I have done fish tacos in manteca, then peanut oil and the next week I did them in Mexican Manteca.

The comments were overwhelmingly in favor of the manteca.
Used in moderation...I feel it will do no harm to your body.

Same thing with using a little manteca (about a tablespoon) to quick-fry carne asada over a very hot griddle and cooking the meat rare.

I feel that ANY food that is somewhat harmful to your health is OK as long as it is used very moderately!
:light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light:

DavidE - 2-19-2013 at 01:44 PM

Seρor Udo,

Discussion versus "Advice" has a pretty wide gulf. Advice would encourage, discussion should educate.

Manzanas y Naranjas

Healthy Advice ?

MrBillM - 2-20-2013 at 05:28 PM

Worth noting is that, assuming you're in decent health for your age, NOBODY Younger than YOU can say with any certainty that THEIR eating habits are any better than yours.

deportes - 2-20-2013 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by deportes

I ran into a buddy the other day at Paty's restaurant and noticed he wasn't wearing his usual huge Hawaiian shirt, but instead, a T-Shirt.

I asked him if he'd lost weight and he said yes, around 100 pounds.
After I recovered, I asked how and he said he basically cut out carbs.

There are many studies showing that it is a lie that fat causes heart disease, it is the sugar/ carbs that turn to a dense fat causing the buildup of plaque in your arteries.
Eat meat, the saturated fat causes satiation so you eat less, keeps your insulin from spiking, eat lots of nuts and green leaf veggies. A piece of fruit a day. Don't drink juice or sodas. Water is best.
I mean....100 pounds.