BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Extra Manteca and mayo...please!!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 05:43 AM
Extra Manteca and mayo...please!!

Next time you go to your favorite fish taco place, or tortas de carne asada, observe the amount of mayo that is being spread on your torta (one tablespoon has 100 calories, and I have seen them dollop maybe a 1/4 cup on tortas)
or what kind of fat your fish taco place is using to fry those tender morsels in. A once every two week experience is not going to kill you, but consider this guy who weighed in at 180 pounds having a heart attack at the Heart Attack grill in Las Vegas...The next time you order your torta, say "No mayo please", I do, and it tastes still great, probably from all the fat in the carne asada.....you might even get the guy to stop using manteca to fry his fish tacos in...to be honest I never asked before but after reading this article I will!!

http://fox8.com/2013/02/13/heart-attack-grills-top-patron-di...
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 07:49 AM

I agree totally that we all should watch what we ingest...much more so now that I'm squeezing out every year I can get and translate that into more time south! But...I knew a doctor in Chicago that was extremely fit and jogged every day at lunch time. Came back into the hospital corridor one day and had a massive hear attack with no revival possible.
Gonna stick to surfing.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 08:31 AM

I have posted articles here on collateral circulation before, but studying the recent videos for my medical boards have brought it back into my mind as to how important it is. As you age, arteries get blocked by cholesterol buildup. If you continue to exercise and put physical demands on your body, even 30 minutes a day, your body will grow new arterioles known as collateral circulation. My dad was always on his feet in the restaurant business, so when he had a stroke in the brain in the Circle of Willis, his collateral circulation saved his life. When I worked at Kaiser San Diego, patients came in from Real del Mar and Bajamar Country Clubs with heart attacks in their 50's. Why? Because they sat behind their desks, never exercised and never grew collateral circulation to their heart. So they finally decide to retire, head to the golf course and walk, walk, walk...and they end up with heart attacks. Get out there 30 minutes a day and grow that collateral circulation, you may just save your life!!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 08:54 AM
Genetics play a big role..

Yes, paranewbi, genetics play a big role in heart disease as well. That is why it behooves all of us youngsters over 50 to get a stress test of the heart, an easy test that can rule out serious blockage of the coronary arteries, that is the number one cause of heart attacks.
Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
I agree totally that we all should watch what we ingest...much more so now that I'm squeezing out every year I can get and translate that into more time south! But...I knew a doctor in Chicago that was extremely fit and jogged every day at lunch time. Came back into the hospital corridor one day and had a massive hear attack with no revival possible.
Gonna stick to surfing.
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 09:45 AM
Jim Fixx

James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

(per: Wikipedia)

Sometimes I wonder if we know as much as we think we do.

Neil
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:02 AM

That was who I was thinking of!! Classic case of bad genetics!!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
James Fuller Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was the author of the 1977 best-selling book, The Complete Book of Running. Best known as Jim Fixx, he is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging.

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

(per: Wikipedia)

Sometimes I wonder if we know as much as we think we do.

Neil

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:19 AM

While walking on the malecon in La Paz, just for my amusement, I will watch a street vendor make a hot dog or a hamburger. The amount of mayonnaise they squirt..repeatedly...on those things is mind boggling!

The other thing that I have noticed in the past 5 years is the apparent switch from taco stands to hot dog and hamburger stands. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that traditional Mexican food is becomming less and less common place in restaurants. Good refried beans is not so common anymore. And good menudo is actually scarce.

I do have a question for the good doctor, though. Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by MitchMan]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:21 AM

I don't know about that...good chile rellenos are my all time favorite...you think we can convince them to start cooking them in canola oil...or is manteca actually much tastier??
Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
While walking on the malecon in La Paz, just for my amusement, I will watch a street vendor make a hot dog or a hamburger. The amount of mayonnaise they squirt..repeatedly...on those things is mind boggling!

The other thing that I have noticed in the past 5 years is the apparent switch from taco stands to hot dog and hamburger stands. Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that traditional Mexican food is becomming less and less common place in restaurants. Good refried beans is not so common anymore. And good menudo is actually scarce.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:33 AM
The silent killer !!

Last week went to the ER for a enflamed/abciss close to my eye..upon admission,A nurse ckecking my blood pressure,freaked and and did it again..she looked at me like I was a dead man.LOL,,skipping the weight and temp, she rushed me into a room and a doc was there in minutes..started me on meds and stated that 218/160 was not a good thing !!! LOL You Think !!that was 8 days ago..today 131/82...Yee Ha...but no more ,pizza,beer,prime rib,,rib eye,salt, hot chicks (not!) greasy good tasting food!! And at a healthy 52 in shape guy,,I would have never guessed,, That I had High blood pressure...Felt great..The Silent Killer almost got me...guess some older folks around here know about this....A Real wakeup call for me..K&T:cool:
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:34 AM

Wish they would cook with canola oil. I only cook with olive oil and canola, and, in Baja, Canola is pretty cheap.

But, as my Italian Organic Chemistry teacher taught me, oil is oil in that a lot of oil, whether it is Grapeseed, Rapeseed (Canola), Olive oil or palm oil or saturated animal fat is still not to be encourage and is not good for your vascular system. Low fat/oil in your diet is still preferred healthy eating.

I love the chile rellenos and cheese enchiladas that Rancho Viejo II makes in La Paz. The sauce is made with guajillo chiles.

Doctor, did you see the additional question I askd you? I added to my post before this one.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

I don't think stomach lining is considered "organ meat." :?::?:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Last week went to the ER for a enflamed/abciss close to my eye..upon admission,A nurse ckecking my blood pressure,freaked and and did it again..she looked at me like I was a dead man.LOL,,skipping the weight and temp, she rushed me into a room and a doc was there in minutes..started me on meds and stated that 218/160 was not a good thing !!! LOL You Think !!that was 8 days ago..today 131/82...Yee Ha...but no more ,pizza,beer,prime rib,,rib eye,salt, hot chicks (not!) greasy good tasting food!! And at a healthy 52 in shape guy,,I would have never guessed,, That I had High blood pressure...Felt great..The Silent Killer almost got me...guess some older folks around here know about this....A Real wakeup call for me..K&T:cool:
PS.. still have the abciss,,they were so worried about me having a stroke...LOL..still kicking:yes:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:50 AM

When i worked at China Lake my kids' Pediatrician was constantly ragging on me to quit smoking. He was an avid cross country runner that ran past my house and up to the top of "B" mountain with weights around his ankles every morning. Sure enough I saw him fall down right behind my house one morning. When I went to see what was up he appeard to be unconscious so I ran inside and called 911 since i didn't know CPR. By the time an ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital he had passed away due to a heart attack. At least that's what the paper said.

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 10:54 AM

How old was he, Bob?
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
When i worked at China Lake my kids' Pediatrician was constantly ragging on me to quit smoking. He was an avid cross country runner that ran past my house and up to the top of "B" mountain with weights around his ankles every morning. Sure enough I saw him fall down right behind my house one morning. When I went to see what was up he appeard to be unconscious so I ran inside and called 911 since i didn't know CPR. By the time an ambulance arrived and took him to the hospital he had passed away due to a heart attack. At least that's what the paper said.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 11:04 AM

Dennis, organ meat does refer to entrails, brains, anything that is not muscle or bone, when the phrase is used as far as cooking goes. My grandmother told me my cousin used to love organ meats, kidneys, brains...she used that phrase as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

I don't think stomach lining is considered "organ meat." :?::?:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 12:13 PM

Lard actually lubricates the arteries. A lard laden meal followed immediately by a double shot of Tequila, which acts as a solvent, flushs the circulatory system :lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 12:55 PM

Mitch,

I went to the esteemed Livestrong site that is no longer associated with Lance. I must admit I didn't know the answer about the calorie content. Here is the link that will tell you everything you need to know about tripe. It also states it is relatively low calorie, but if fried of course, it would add substantial calorie intake. I am not a fan of menudo, however.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517251-is-tripe-fattening/

Quote:

I do have a question for the good doctor, though. Is the tripe in Menudo loaded with cholesterol? Also, is it loaded with saturated fat? Or is that stuff mostly connective tissue and/or gelatin?

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by MitchMan]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 12:57 PM

You are right, it flushes the lard right to the heart in one big lardball.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Lard actually lubricates the arteries. A lard laden meal followed immediately by a double shot of Tequila, which acts as a solvent, flushs the circulatory system :lol::lol:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 01:38 PM

That lube and flush account sounds like it blocked up something else, too.

Having had a few radionuclide stress tests*, songrams, blood tests ad infinitum twice I have to now admit I feel a hundred and ten times better when the cardiologist declares: :No Ischemic Heart disease evident. "All Clear!" But your BP needs very close and careful monitoring.

* The doctors agree the chemical test is significantly better than the treadmill.

With hypertension it is my belief that the addition of enalapril or linosipril Rx makes a significant different in later life condition of renal (kidney) condition. Especially important with Diabetic patients, but in truth, essential medication for all who suffer hypertension.

Another b-tch point, is the failure of the medical community to emphasize the importance of a balanced regimen of electrolytes. Minerals. Like potassium, magnesium supplements AS WELL AS cutting down on sodium. Anemia is another issue that is virtually ignored until it degenerates red blood cell count almost to the point of needing a transfusion. Red blood cells carry oxygen to the heart muscle and brain.

Self education is really what is needed but where does an individual find basic and understandable medical advice on the internet that isn't laced with voodoo quackery?

Absolute basic troubleshooting, and verification of the essentials is what a majority of MD's overlook or relegate to the "unimportant: department when conducting a physical check. Many years ago a basic procedure referred to as a "Multi-Phasic" was in vogue. What happened?

Thirty, sixty, or ninety, a patient needs to know and pay attention to the question if they are getting adequate examinations and troubleshooting attention from their MD. My USA cardiologist complained when I quipped that "Ninety Percent Of The Responsibility Of Staying Healthy Is On The Shoulders Of The Patient, NOT The Doctor".

But where does a patient find a "How To" list? A list of points that must be examined thoroughly during a checkup, and the frequency needed to stay self informed about one's health?

I had to start World War III with my doctors to get them to listen to my certainty that hypertension was severely aggravating the occurrence of atrial fibrillation. That and a very low level of magnesium in the blood, which by the way is one hell of a lot more common than the medical community understands. With Afib, tight control on Systolic and Diastolic numbers is VITAL. Not debatable.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2013 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't know about that...good chile rellenos are my all time favorite...you think we can convince them to start cooking them in canola oil...or is manteca actually much tastier??
Quote:

[/quote

[Edited on 2-13-2013 by zoesterone]

Dogs are not our whole life, but make our lives whole.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.