BajaNomad

La Paz Dinner Tonight?

Floatflyer - 2-15-2013 at 01:26 PM

Decided to come to La Paz and have some work done at the Ford dealer that required a computer, grrrrr AND to try and avoid some of the off road racers that are destroying our enjoyment of rural BCS!

Just had an enjoyable and entertaining lunch at The Shack. Wondering why we haven't read anything on Nomad's about this unique eatery lately??

Anyway, back to the B&B for a nap before heading out again for shopping and fun. Wondering what restaurant recommendations for us tonight, a belated Valentine's Day meal for my honey?? That means no taco stands this time.;D

Cloudy, a bit breezy, a little cool, pretty much what we just left. Love La Paz for an overnighter, total different vibe than San Jose, where we spend a night or two per winter. Never in Cabo as it is just too much trouble with our fur child.

David K - 2-15-2013 at 01:42 PM

Tres Virgenes, without a doubt... but likely booked up? Say hi to Nomad memeber ('JESSE'), who owns the place.

paranewbi - 2-15-2013 at 02:24 PM

Cafe Milano was a treat last time we were in La Paz...good italian food!
The restaurant is located on Esquero, the road behind the malecon, just besides the french Bistro. This area is also a fun walk if you tire of the Malecon.

danaeb - 2-15-2013 at 03:20 PM

Il Rustico on Revolucion bet N.Bravo and Rosales. Romantic setting, great outdoor dining.

http://ilrusticolapazmx.com/us/menu.html

vandenberg - 2-15-2013 at 04:23 PM

El Campestre.

2 blocks past Walmart on the road to el centro on the opposite side of the road.
Excellent fare and reasonable. Popular with natives and gringos alike.
Try the ribs or the Cob salad.

cliffh - 2-15-2013 at 04:41 PM

Just spent 5 days at AquaMarine RV,open again. Cab is 50 to 60 Pesos. Campestre is great, Rancho Viejo, La Costa, Bufalo BBQ all good. Tell the cabby easy way to get around town. Cliff

Cappy - 2-15-2013 at 08:26 PM

Sorry it's late. Restaurant mar y Pena These guys are the largest wholesale seafood dist in Baja. The freshest in town. Enjoy

Leo - 2-15-2013 at 08:31 PM

I 2nd Paranewbie with Milano's, excuisite and great wine selection.

Floatflyer - 2-15-2013 at 08:34 PM

Well, dinner is now over. We decided to go to Il Rustico for some Italian fare. Got there about 6:45 pm walked in and the guy that greeted us pointed us to the outside dining area. It is windy and on the cool side so we asked to eat indoors and was told no! No other customers that we saw, no explanation, and the owner was at the cash register looking at us. I looked at my wife, she said I didn't bring a coat, and I said Adios.

Drove to Grill Campestre on the way to the airport. A bit difficult to see as they did not have their sign lighted until we pointed that out. We were welcomed as long lost friends, our first time there, had a very nice meal, not cheap, but good, capable and friendly service.

So thank you for your advice. It looks like we will either be leaving one car to await parts, and/or we will be returning later next week. Will be trying someplace else new. We love La Paz!

Should have gone back to The Shack for the Drunken Chicken

akmaxx - 2-15-2013 at 08:52 PM

You missed out on the best chicken in BCS. Travis pulled the marinated, mesquite fired, beer infused chickens out at seven and wow!. These chickens make the stuff you buy beside the road taste like McDonalds compared to The Shack treatment.

Travis inject the chickens with marinade and puts them in his mesquite fired brick oven so the skin is crispy, the meat is infused with garlic, butter, and Shack spices and the meat is steamed through with draft beer. Really, really nice. Served with baby potatoes, bbq spicy salsa, and organic salad with red peppers for under ten bucks. Combined with a frosty mug of Negra Modelo and live music it is the best thing going in La Paz on Friday night.

Just sayin. Don't miss the mesquite fired pizza on Saturdays. The dough is crispy on the bottom, chewy where it needs to be, and laden with gouda and whatever you want.

Travis is gearing up to become the BBQ place in all of Baja. Chickens, briskets, ribs, all served with the sauces and sides you will come to know and love. The pig roasts on Sunday and personal pig roasts for your party are unique in La Paz as well.

I'm a fan of The Shack.

Peace,

mirko - 2-15-2013 at 10:50 PM

Tres Virgenes is one of the nicest diners you could visit anywhere. Wonderful food. Wife had Fetuccini Alfredo with mesquite chicken, I had Risotto with shrimp. Baby greens, thinly sliced strawberries and pears salad was some of the best salad I have ever had. Wife had Caesar's prepared right at the table, also outstanding. Creme Broulet for dessert. We spent $100 including a $30 bottle of very nice white wine. Not cheap but great all the way around. Outstanding service, too. We always try to eat there at least once. Ate at Buffalos one time and though the steaks were just too big. Expensive also.

willardguy - 2-15-2013 at 11:32 PM

the folks over at Il rustico (like many other nomads) are offroad enthusiasts and were only showing you the way back to " would be island. ':mad:

Floatflyer - 2-16-2013 at 07:49 AM

If the "off road entusiasts" would recreate off road, most of us wouldn't complain, but in residential areas with no other access, not so good.

We ate at Las Tres Virgenes back in '11 and was disappointed. PM'd Jesse and got a satisfactory response. We tried with little notice to find out if Jesse would be at the restaurant last night but couldn't find contact info. We were reluctant to spend big money on a dinner without Jesse being there.

If you were referring to a 30 peso bottle of wine, that is even below our standards. If you were referring to a $30 bottle of wine, that is pushing the limit for a Mexican restaurant bottle. Campestre satisfied us on all fronts. Maybe next time I will be able to try Las TV and will report if we do.

[Edited on 2-16-2013 by Floatflyer]

David K - 2-16-2013 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mirko
Tres Virgenes is one of the nicest diners you could visit anywhere. Wonderful food. Wife had Fetuccini Alfredo with mesquite chicken, I had Risotto with shrimp. Baby greens, thinly sliced strawberries and pears salad was some of the best salad I have ever had. Wife had Caesar's prepared right at the table, also outstanding. Creme Broulet for dessert. We spent $100 including a $30 bottle of very nice white wine. Not cheap but great all the way around. Outstanding service, too. We always try to eat there at least once. Ate at Buffalos one time and though the steaks were just too big. Expensive also.

Agree... it was perhaps the finest meal ever... amazing perfect cooked rib-eye (Baja Angel's choice) on the wood fire grill, just 20 feet from our outdoor table... this was last July. We selected a variety of dishes and appetizers, no wine... and shared between the four of us (BajaTripper, Zully, Baja Angel and I). I wish they had a sample menu so I could recall what we ordered, but was told it was on their Facebook page (I couldn't find it when I wrote my trip report). I had a shrimp dinner... and we got a sample of maybe 4 appetizers. Then the best creme broulet as mentioned by mirko (but I thought they called it flan?)... Anyway, they take cards there and dinner for 4 was in the $100+ range. Excellent service... the governor should be as lucky as us when he eats there!

Jesse was not there, but his brother was... and called Jesse so he and I could say hi.

I just checked, and there are many photos of their dishes and La Paz area on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LasTresVirgenes?fref=ts

MitchMan - 2-17-2013 at 11:12 AM

Jesse's Tres Virgines is an excellent restaurant...excellent. Palermo's is also very excellent. Both are a bit pricey for me to eat at regularly, so I save those venues for special occasions for the most part.

Palermo's has a superb Sunday Brunch. I always take my guests there for that.

acadist - 2-17-2013 at 11:18 AM

I vote for Palermo's!

Loretana - 2-17-2013 at 11:21 AM

Tres Virgenes.

Jesus (BN Jesse) likes it if you stop by at the grill and tell him you're there!

SUCH good food.

Floatflyer - 2-17-2013 at 12:00 PM

I am not familiar with Palermo's but may check it out. Since we have to return to La Paz later next week, we will take all the good advice under consideration and I am sure we will eat well. Thank you.

Udo - 2-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

I was a little surprised when Palermo's served us two glasses of wine when we ordered wine. I was expecting a bottle.
The food was excellent.

At Tres Virgenes, we ordered the bone marrow, which was the best we have ever had.

Alan - 2-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

So many choices that can't be experienced in one night or even one trip. Tres Virgenes remains my personal favorite and I am sorry to hear of your personal experience but I have yet to be disappointed in anything they have prepared there. Jesse and his staff are pure artists in my book. A few days ago when he saw I was there he sent over an abalone appetizer that was so delicious I can't even describe the flavors.

However if you prefer to explore elsewhere the following are all ones I can recommend with confidence in addition to those already mentioned:

Azul Marina - At Costa Baja, outdoor dining in the marina setting. Last year Margarita and Christine (owner/Chef) presented me with a Yellowtail Tartare topped with a dollop of caviar to start off my evening that was simply amazing.

Estancia Uraguay - On Revolucion. Possibly one of the best steakhouses in La Paz.

Corazon Cafe - Across from the Post Office has an excellent breakfast or light lunch and my daughter says their Honey Margaritas have been kissed by the honeybees.

The Golf Club at Costa Baja is a beautiful setting but I really like it up there to watch the sunset over c-cktails. Just drive up to the gate and tell the guard you are going to the restaurant.

For a unique (to me) experience I recommend catching a movie in the Platino theater at the Cinemex in the Mega supermarket complex. The theater is set up in pairs of leather recliners. After perusing the menu, simply push the button of the table next to you and the waiter will come to take your order for food and even c-cktails. For 70 pesos I think it is one of the best deals in La Paz and all the movies we have seen have been in English with Spanish sub-titles.

mirko - 2-17-2013 at 01:33 PM

I almost don't like to talk about the Platino screens at the theater since I can't find enough superlatives. The martini page alone on the menu is a full page. Idea of going to the movies, for $5, and being able to order crepes or lasagna is just decadent. We always go there when we are in La Paz. The chairs are way big leather recliners. Outrageous! Another plus is the new La Fuente branch downstairs from the theather.

Floatflyer - 2-17-2013 at 01:53 PM

This is now getting rediculous! I have often seen the Cinemas and wondered about what they were like, just never had or took the time to check them out. I will now.

The additoinal recommendations from Alan is amazing. We have driven out to Costa Baja several time, yesterday am was one. Before we had a drink at the restaurant, and we have asked about "locals" rate to play golf. We always travel with or 27# fur child and that sort of stops us from playing. Now, if she could ride around on the cart, that would be a game changer.:yes:

We had heard that Azul Marina was a top restaurant before and had put that on our to eat list. The marina is one of our favorite walks when killing time. For that matter, we like La Panga at the other marina as well. So many choices, so difficult when trying not to gain weight, sigh.

David K - 2-17-2013 at 02:07 PM

Sound like the V.I.P Cinema in Tijuana... drinks brought to you, during the movie! :yes:

bajacalifornian - 2-17-2013 at 02:42 PM

Ditto Tres Virgenes. Tell Jesse even Nomads are believing in Baja these days.

Estancia Uruguaya Restaurant

rsadcock - 2-17-2013 at 03:01 PM

Guests staying in our Park ate at this restaurant last night and raved about the cut of beef that they had - said it was the best ever!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
So many choices that can't be experienced in one night or even one trip. Tres Virgenes remains my personal favorite and I am sorry to hear of your personal experience but I have yet to be disappointed in anything they have prepared there. Jesse and his staff are pure artists in my book. A few days ago when he saw I was there he sent over an abalone appetizer that was so delicious I can't even describe the flavors.

However if you prefer to explore elsewhere the following are all ones I can recommend with confidence in addition to those already mentioned:

Azul Marina - At Costa Baja, outdoor dining in the marina setting. Last year Margarita and Christine (owner/Chef) presented me with a Yellowtail Tartare topped with a dollop of caviar to start off my evening that was simply amazing.

Estancia Uraguay - On Revolucion. Possibly one of the best steakhouses in La Paz.

Corazon Cafe - Across from the Post Office has an excellent breakfast or light lunch and my daughter says their Honey Margaritas have been kissed by the honeybees.

The Golf Club at Costa Baja is a beautiful setting but I really like it up there to watch the sunset over c-cktails. Just drive up to the gate and tell the guard you are going to the restaurant.

For a unique (to me) experience I recommend catching a movie in the Platino theater at the Cinemex in the Mega supermarket complex. The theater is set up in pairs of leather recliners. After perusing the menu, simply push the button of the table next to you and the waiter will come to take your order for food and even c-cktails. For 70 pesos I think it is one of the best deals in La Paz and all the movies we have seen have been in English with Spanish sub-titles.
:tumble::spingrin::smug:

MitchMan - 2-18-2013 at 12:19 PM

An additional shout out for Palermo's Sunday Brunch.

The several times that I have been there for that, they had a very talented pianist playing classic popular music live on the baby grand piano in the dining room. The decor is very modern and expensive looking. Even the bathrooms were tiled and with the same decor as the dining room. No paper towels to dry your hands...warm rolled cloth towels.

I was/am impressed.

I will have to say that the very best meal I have ever eaten in La Paz was at Tres Virgines.

The very best meal I have ever eaten in Mexico, though, was a tie between Bogart's in Puerto Vallarta and Anderson's in the Pink Zone in Mexico City.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by MitchMan]

Alan - 2-18-2013 at 06:35 PM

Mike, when r u flying in?

MitchMan - 2-19-2013 at 10:07 AM

Hey Alan, landing at the airport on March 12.

Let's plan on some serious fishing. Maybe we can kiil em on Yellowtail again this March. Looking forward to using my new Avet and the X-Rap lures. Been watching the Tailhunter fish report. Looks like it's been a bit windy lately.

Fishing; it's all I can think about these days.

danaeb - 2-19-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

Palermo's has a superb Sunday Brunch. I always take my guests there for that.

The Baja Citizen usually has a coupon for Palermo's sunday brunch if you get there between 10am-noon. Only $100P/person up to six people. It's a great deal.

Alan - 2-19-2013 at 10:57 AM

Yes the winds have been an issue as of late and I think they are the only think holding back what could be a wide open bite. No worries. I fished out of Muertos 2 weeks ago even while the winds were up. Picked up a Yt and a couple really nice cabrilla around Perico. As the winds picked up we moved back into the bay itself and pulled out a dorado around 15# and even saw a marlin tailing within 200 yds of shore. Let me know if you need me to pick you up from the airport.