Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Paz Dinner Tonight?
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 01:26 PM
La Paz Dinner Tonight?

Decided to come to La Paz and have some work done at the Ford dealer that required a computer, grrrrr AND to try and avoid some of the off road racers that are destroying our enjoyment of rural BCS!

Just had an enjoyable and entertaining lunch at The Shack. Wondering why we haven't read anything on Nomad's about this unique eatery lately??

Anyway, back to the B&B for a nap before heading out again for shopping and fun. Wondering what restaurant recommendations for us tonight, a belated Valentine's Day meal for my honey?? That means no taco stands this time.;D

Cloudy, a bit breezy, a little cool, pretty much what we just left. Love La Paz for an overnighter, total different vibe than San Jose, where we spend a night or two per winter. Never in Cabo as it is just too much trouble with our fur child.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 01:42 PM

Tres Virgenes, without a doubt... but likely booked up? Say hi to Nomad memeber ('JESSE'), who owns the place.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 02:24 PM

Cafe Milano was a treat last time we were in La Paz...good italian food!
The restaurant is located on Esquero, the road behind the malecon, just besides the french Bistro. This area is also a fun walk if you tire of the Malecon.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 03:20 PM

Il Rustico on Revolucion bet N.Bravo and Rosales. Romantic setting, great outdoor dining.

http://ilrusticolapazmx.com/us/menu.html

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 04:23 PM

El Campestre.

2 blocks past Walmart on the road to el centro on the opposite side of the road.
Excellent fare and reasonable. Popular with natives and gringos alike.
Try the ribs or the Cob salad.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 04:41 PM

Just spent 5 days at AquaMarine RV,open again. Cab is 50 to 60 Pesos. Campestre is great, Rancho Viejo, La Costa, Bufalo BBQ all good. Tell the cabby easy way to get around town. Cliff
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 08:26 PM

Sorry it's late. Restaurant mar y Pena These guys are the largest wholesale seafood dist in Baja. The freshest in town. Enjoy
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 08:31 PM

I 2nd Paranewbie with Milano's, excuisite and great wine selection.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Floatflyer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 08:34 PM

Well, dinner is now over. We decided to go to Il Rustico for some Italian fare. Got there about 6:45 pm walked in and the guy that greeted us pointed us to the outside dining area. It is windy and on the cool side so we asked to eat indoors and was told no! No other customers that we saw, no explanation, and the owner was at the cash register looking at us. I looked at my wife, she said I didn't bring a coat, and I said Adios.

Drove to Grill Campestre on the way to the airport. A bit difficult to see as they did not have their sign lighted until we pointed that out. We were welcomed as long lost friends, our first time there, had a very nice meal, not cheap, but good, capable and friendly service.

So thank you for your advice. It looks like we will either be leaving one car to await parts, and/or we will be returning later next week. Will be trying someplace else new. We love La Paz!
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 08:52 PM
Should have gone back to The Shack for the Drunken Chicken

You missed out on the best chicken in BCS. Travis pulled the marinated, mesquite fired, beer infused chickens out at seven and wow!. These chickens make the stuff you buy beside the road taste like McDonalds compared to The Shack treatment.

Travis inject the chickens with marinade and puts them in his mesquite fired brick oven so the skin is crispy, the meat is infused with garlic, butter, and Shack spices and the meat is steamed through with draft beer. Really, really nice. Served with baby potatoes, bbq spicy salsa, and organic salad with red peppers for under ten bucks. Combined with a frosty mug of Negra Modelo and live music it is the best thing going in La Paz on Friday night.

Just sayin. Don't miss the mesquite fired pizza on Saturdays. The dough is crispy on the bottom, chewy where it needs to be, and laden with gouda and whatever you want.

Travis is gearing up to become the BBQ place in all of Baja. Chickens, briskets, ribs, all served with the sauces and sides you will come to know and love. The pig roasts on Sunday and personal pig roasts for your party are unique in La Paz as well.

I'm a fan of The Shack.

Peace,
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 10:50 PM

Tres Virgenes is one of the nicest diners you could visit anywhere. Wonderful food. Wife had Fetuccini Alfredo with mesquite chicken, I had Risotto with shrimp. Baby greens, thinly sliced strawberries and pears salad was some of the best salad I have ever had. Wife had Caesar's prepared right at the table, also outstanding. Creme Broulet for dessert. We spent $100 including a $30 bottle of very nice white wine. Not cheap but great all the way around. Outstanding service, too. We always try to eat there at least once. Ate at Buffalos one time and though the steaks were just too big. Expensive also.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 11:32 PM

the folks over at Il rustico (like many other nomads) are offroad enthusiasts and were only showing you the way back to " would be island. ':mad:
Floatflyer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 07:49 AM

If the "off road entusiasts" would recreate off road, most of us wouldn't complain, but in residential areas with no other access, not so good.

We ate at Las Tres Virgenes back in '11 and was disappointed. PM'd Jesse and got a satisfactory response. We tried with little notice to find out if Jesse would be at the restaurant last night but couldn't find contact info. We were reluctant to spend big money on a dinner without Jesse being there.

If you were referring to a 30 peso bottle of wine, that is even below our standards. If you were referring to a $30 bottle of wine, that is pushing the limit for a Mexican restaurant bottle. Campestre satisfied us on all fronts. Maybe next time I will be able to try Las TV and will report if we do.

[Edited on 2-16-2013 by Floatflyer]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mirko
Tres Virgenes is one of the nicest diners you could visit anywhere. Wonderful food. Wife had Fetuccini Alfredo with mesquite chicken, I had Risotto with shrimp. Baby greens, thinly sliced strawberries and pears salad was some of the best salad I have ever had. Wife had Caesar's prepared right at the table, also outstanding. Creme Broulet for dessert. We spent $100 including a $30 bottle of very nice white wine. Not cheap but great all the way around. Outstanding service, too. We always try to eat there at least once. Ate at Buffalos one time and though the steaks were just too big. Expensive also.

Agree... it was perhaps the finest meal ever... amazing perfect cooked rib-eye (Baja Angel's choice) on the wood fire grill, just 20 feet from our outdoor table... this was last July. We selected a variety of dishes and appetizers, no wine... and shared between the four of us (BajaTripper, Zully, Baja Angel and I). I wish they had a sample menu so I could recall what we ordered, but was told it was on their Facebook page (I couldn't find it when I wrote my trip report). I had a shrimp dinner... and we got a sample of maybe 4 appetizers. Then the best creme broulet as mentioned by mirko (but I thought they called it flan?)... Anyway, they take cards there and dinner for 4 was in the $100+ range. Excellent service... the governor should be as lucky as us when he eats there!

Jesse was not there, but his brother was... and called Jesse so he and I could say hi.

I just checked, and there are many photos of their dishes and La Paz area on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LasTresVirgenes?fref=ts

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 11:12 AM

Jesse's Tres Virgines is an excellent restaurant...excellent. Palermo's is also very excellent. Both are a bit pricey for me to eat at regularly, so I save those venues for special occasions for the most part.

Palermo's has a superb Sunday Brunch. I always take my guests there for that.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 11:18 AM

I vote for Palermo's!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 11:21 AM

Tres Virgenes.

Jesus (BN Jesse) likes it if you stop by at the grill and tell him you're there!

SUCH good food.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Floatflyer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 12:00 PM

I am not familiar with Palermo's but may check it out. Since we have to return to La Paz later next week, we will take all the good advice under consideration and I am sure we will eat well. Thank you.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

I was a little surprised when Palermo's served us two glasses of wine when we ordered wine. I was expecting a bottle.
The food was excellent.

At Tres Virgenes, we ordered the bone marrow, which was the best we have ever had.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

So many choices that can't be experienced in one night or even one trip. Tres Virgenes remains my personal favorite and I am sorry to hear of your personal experience but I have yet to be disappointed in anything they have prepared there. Jesse and his staff are pure artists in my book. A few days ago when he saw I was there he sent over an abalone appetizer that was so delicious I can't even describe the flavors.

However if you prefer to explore elsewhere the following are all ones I can recommend with confidence in addition to those already mentioned:

Azul Marina - At Costa Baja, outdoor dining in the marina setting. Last year Margarita and Christine (owner/Chef) presented me with a Yellowtail Tartare topped with a dollop of caviar to start off my evening that was simply amazing.

Estancia Uraguay - On Revolucion. Possibly one of the best steakhouses in La Paz.

Corazon Cafe - Across from the Post Office has an excellent breakfast or light lunch and my daughter says their Honey Margaritas have been kissed by the honeybees.

The Golf Club at Costa Baja is a beautiful setting but I really like it up there to watch the sunset over c-cktails. Just drive up to the gate and tell the guard you are going to the restaurant.

For a unique (to me) experience I recommend catching a movie in the Platino theater at the Cinemex in the Mega supermarket complex. The theater is set up in pairs of leather recliners. After perusing the menu, simply push the button of the table next to you and the waiter will come to take your order for food and even c-cktails. For 70 pesos I think it is one of the best deals in La Paz and all the movies we have seen have been in English with Spanish sub-titles.

In Memory of E-57
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.