BajaNomad

Cowboy motel -- hygiene issues

Lee - 3-17-2013 at 10:03 PM

No single rooms so took a double room. I pull the cover off one of the beds I plan to sleep in and notice there is no mattress pad. I pull the bottom sheet off and notice a large, dry blood stain in the center of the mattress.

Fortunately, the other mattress was without stains. Not sure if dried blood is a hygiene issue but still thought it revolting about sleeping in someone's blood, even if it wasn't fresh.

Is this a non-issue for Baja motels? Is this being prudish? Should I expect a stain free mattress?

toneart - 3-18-2013 at 06:41 AM

Hygiene and health safety is important no matter where you are in the world.

You are not being unduly prudish in expecting good hygiene standards. In Mexico, you see a lot of "funky" traces of neglect in corners, but generally, hotels try to keep rooms basically clean. Somehow, the smell of Pinesol is comforting to me.

There is no excuse for blood stains on a mattress with no mattress pad covering it. It would probably not be a bad idea to carry your own mattress covering while traveling. And by all means, pull down the covers and sheets and inspect the bed. Things could get itchy if you don't. :o

paranewbi - 3-18-2013 at 07:08 AM

Having done the same thing in inspecting the bed and found pubic hair on more than one occasion...best to carry a queen size plastic bed liner and your own sheets with you. You can hand/spot clean the liner and avoids having to wash the sheets every night due to the previous nights bed.

Another item is a cheap plastic screw on shower head...on more than one occasion in camp bathrooms and hotels outside cities I have found the shower head missing.

Sleep Sack

bajaguy - 3-18-2013 at 07:54 AM

This works great

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16037044

Ateo - 3-18-2013 at 08:01 AM

Maybe someone spilled a glass of wine on the bed. :D

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2013 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
No single rooms so took a double room. I pull the cover off one of the beds I plan to sleep in and notice there is no mattress pad. I pull the bottom sheet off and notice a large, dry blood stain in the center of the mattress.

Fortunately, the other mattress was without stains. Not sure if dried blood is a hygiene issue but still thought it revolting about sleeping in someone's blood, even if it wasn't fresh.

Is this a non-issue for Baja motels? Is this being prudish? Should I expect a stain free mattress?

it's common to hotels world wide. even in usa, the matresses reflect the high traffic... i find it best to not look under the sheet, out of sight, out of mind!

DianaT - 3-18-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That is disgusting. In some of the old run down hotels we have stayed at in the past in Baja and on the Mainland, we have been careful, but most of the time even the old run down places are reasonably clean. We usually check a room first before we rent because when traveling by bus, carrying you own bedding is more difficult. But even that might not help as when checking, we may sit on the bed, but we don't really inspect it and remain ignorant as to what is there.

In a fairly new hotel, one does expect a bit better and certainly not what you discovered. If you found it so easily, then someone is not watching, or someone does not care. Then again, in some very surprising places in Baja we have discovered beds where the sheets were not changed --- not good :no:

Thanks for the report

tripledigitken - 3-18-2013 at 09:43 AM

I'm in the don't look camp too.

Rethinking the sleeping bag on motel bed scenerio though..............

DENNIS - 3-18-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Or bled out after cutting their wrists. Jeeeezo....have some compassion. :barf:

Inspections

bajaguy - 3-18-2013 at 10:19 AM

"Most" motel/hotel owners/managers are just interested in $$$ and neglect to do random, unannounced top-to-bottom room inspections. That is the only way to insure rooms are being maintained.

My question to them after finding problems is always....would you stay in this room???

Be interesting to hear what our Nomad B&B and hotel/motel owners/managers have to say about this thread and how they inspect/maintain their rooms.

durrelllrobert - 3-18-2013 at 10:36 AM

I once complained to the manager at a motel in the US about wet urine on the materess and they immediately turned it over fort me :lol:

DENNIS - 3-18-2013 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I once complained to the manager at a motel in the US about wet urine on the materess and they immediately turned it over fort me :lol:

Hey Bob....where are you?

SwissFrank - 3-18-2013 at 12:10 PM

Has anyone ever recommended this place on here?

David K - 3-18-2013 at 12:19 PM

Yes... see Nomad Search, top left of page...?

monoloco - 3-18-2013 at 03:14 PM

That's one of the reasons I prefer camping.

acadist - 3-18-2013 at 08:22 PM

I used to check under the mattress, have found money, magazines and some interesting 'toys' :o

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2013 at 08:44 PM

oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhh gross.

I myself change the bed sheets, so I am the one doing the inspecting. All our mattresses would pass muster and pillows are closely inspected as well.

I am a bit of a weirdo/fanatic when it comes to cleaning: even the door handles to all rooms, bathrooms are swiped with disinfectant. I even do the shower hot and cold water handles, toilet flush handles - you get the picture. I would rather be safe than sorry. Every so often we put the mattresses outside under the sun for hours - the smell is wonderful and there is something oldfashioned in me that says it is good for the soul of whomever sleeps on that bed.

The worst you might find is dust under the beds ... it just appears so quickly that I can't keep up ....

Lee - 3-18-2013 at 09:34 PM

1st night was 2nd floor, single. Newer room, newly constructed. When construction was finished, the room needed to be cleaned of splattered grout, paint on trim/walls, floor, etc. and this hasn't been done. Mattress was fine.

With the 2nd floor rooms come more people and less parking. Both nights filled up and guests were double parking making exiting almost impossible. If parking isn't expanded, it will only get worse.

Both nights had guests arriving late but still partying. A group of motorcyclists started partying at 7am this morning. Did not understand why ''security'' did not quiet things down for those who were still sleeping. I've not experienced this at Caracole, Malarimmo, Cactus or Coco's in Loreto.

Plan on traveling with own sheets and a sleeping bag for top of the mattress. Pillows at Cowboy are still unacceptable.

I'll check out rooms at Caracole/Malarimmo next visit. This visit at Cowboy had a ''zoo'' atmosphere.

Bajafun777 - 3-18-2013 at 11:28 PM

We always travel with our own pillows and I always pull the sheets up to inspect for those little bed bugs that love to get into the bed raised trim on the corners and along the bed. We even have throw blankets in our vehicle just in case. If you see one bed bug believe me you will find others, so change rooms don't try to get rid of them it won't work. If they don't have another room then I would leave and have.
Some may try to keep your money or take some out saying you used the room but if your complaining don't work report them to local government agency that is responsible for health issues. Threats of letting others know about their dirty rooms will some times work but you will also have those that will not care one way or another.
Now, in fairness this is not just a Mexico problem in hotels, as we have run across this problem in San Diego and even back in Fort Worth. In San Diego the hotel was soooo bad that even the restroom had not been clean and gift in the toilet and it wasn't no dang money either. Went to get our money back and they tried to say they wouldn't credit it back until I told them I had pictures and was going to the health department next morning. If I said the name of it probably others may have experienced their bad cleaning and it was not Motel 6 but it did have a number after the Motel. The Republican Convention was in town and every hotel was full. Since this being the last of 5 we tried to find a room that night we gave it our best shot just too nasty to stay there. So,with this experience we just drove back to the Valley even though it was really late.
Every time I past by this hotel off of 8, even though it has been remodeled, I get those bad memories of that experience. So, do check under sheets but know it can happen anywhere and that my fellow Nomads is just a fact of life, LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Leo - 3-19-2013 at 11:43 AM

I am with Monoloco, camping for us too, but that has it's own problems. Not enough choices and often lousy services.

COSTCO

bajaguy - 3-21-2013 at 02:09 PM

In San Diego (on Friars Road) has a cool Ridgeway (by Kelty) 3 way lightweight sleeping bag...rolls up to about the size of a loaf of bread. Unzips to use as a blanket, a stand alone sleeping bag or a sleeping bag liner....$18.

They currently sell on Amazon.com for $37.00

This is peerfect for car travel or to use as a barrier when in questionable hotel beds.......

toneart - 3-21-2013 at 02:51 PM

Quote:

Isn't that illegal? Everyone knows that beds are just for sleeping. :lol:

durrelllrobert - 3-21-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank

liknbaja127 - 3-21-2013 at 06:55 PM

I am with the 'out of site out of mind' group. Don't think I have ever
pulled down the sheets! Sometimes just glad to have a bed, and
not in the back of my truck! ALWAYS bring sleeping bag.

Lee - 3-21-2013 at 06:56 PM

Shari is ''endorsing'' Cowboy (I think she is).

I showed her the mattress stain that morning and asked her if my concern might be shared by Mexicans -- or if they might think that body fluids are a natural thing and stained mattresses are a non-issue.

She responded that Mexicans would make this a non-issue. Is this right?

I'm also thinking that house keeping saw the stain (for awhile) and continued throwing a sheet over it while making the bed and it was a non-issue to them.

I, personally, did not mention the mattress to the Owner of the Cowboy Motel, and don't know if Shari did.

Not that that would mean anything.

Maybe Shari's POV of cultural differences would be helpful. Or, maybe she's endorsing Cowboy stains and all.

(I plan to have a sleeping bag for future travel so stains have magically become a non-issue for me.)

durrelllrobert - 3-21-2013 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:

Isn't that illegal? Everyone knows that beds are just for sleeping. :lol:

Unless it's pet friendly

BajaBlanca - 3-21-2013 at 07:02 PM

and I used to get so offended when someone slept in a sleeping bag instead of in my gorgeous super clean wonderful sunshine smelling sheets

but,

obviously I got over it quickly since in a sleeping bag is not the end of the world, but we worked hard to get nice mattresses - some softer, some harder. all inspected every day by me, myself, and I.

Mexicans (often) sleep on top of the bed with a blanket over them. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out.

DENNIS - 3-21-2013 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That would depend on the individual whether or not one is indifferent about lying around in someone elses body fluids.
Let's not attempt to make this a cultural issue. That would be an offensive discussion.

liknbaja127 - 3-21-2013 at 07:08 PM

Also we were at the cowboy 1st of March and we had 5 rooms with our
group, and all were happy with the place. Parking was a little tight,
but, come on a lot of hotels have this problem in baja. I don't mind,
great place to meet new people, at 6:00 am:lol:

shari - 3-21-2013 at 07:33 PM

I take all complaints up with the owner and he will have the mattress turned and is working on getting new pillows, opening up more parking etc. Yes I endorse Cowboy Hotel for what it is which is a moderately priced ma & pa operation...not 5 star hotel.

Lee mentioned he usually stays in high end places which may account for his tastes. I havent seen any hotels with mattress covers...we do have them at our rentals...and washcloths are very rare as well...so the trick is to bring your own. I also travel with a sheet, blankets & pillow so we are comfortable in case of a not so ideal bed scenario.

So I guess the other good plan if you are concerned about mattress issues, check first before you rent a room. Hotels are noisy...people come and go at all hours so I always bring earplugs too.

Chavelo & I have had many long conversations about what he can do to make his hotel more presentable etc. and he is making efforts to do that and is receptive to criticisms and suggestions. They are under construction at the moment so things are a bit awry...but for the most part it is quite clean and I just like the scene there...not fancy but not grungy and not sleazy like some cheaper places.

Lee - 3-21-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That would depend on the individual whether or not one is indifferent about lying around in someone elses body fluids.
Let's not attempt to make this a cultural issue. That would be an offensive discussion.

Shari's entitled to her opinion and that was her opinion. If I were to make a guess, I think 1/2 the Gringoes (at the Cowboy) would care and 1/2 wouldn't care. Think Shari was referring to ''most'' Mexicans but can't be sure.

tripledigitken - 3-21-2013 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nice capture Bob.

shari - 3-21-2013 at 07:57 PM

yeah it's not really a cultural issue, but most likely most mexicanos wouldnt be too concerned about an old small blood stain on a mattress...and I've never actually looked under a sheet to check a mattress myself either...I suppose the housekeepers werent too concerned about it either as they must have seen it...time for a little chat with them I guess about turning mattresses.

Lee - 3-21-2013 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Lee mentioned he usually stays in high end places which may account for his tastes. I havent seen any hotels with mattress covers...we do have them at our rentals...and washcloths are very rare as well...so the trick is to bring your own.

Can't remember if the Cactus has wash cloths or not. Don't think so.

So, let me define high end places. NOB, La Quinta because I travel with my dog and they are dog friendly.

High end ''standards'' in Baja. Try $38.00/night at La Villa de San Quintin -- mattress pads AND wash cloths. The towels are quality, along with the bed cover, sheets and mattress. No stains on the carpet and the place was cleaner than any motel I've visited.

It's not fair to compare GN to Quintin, or El Rosario. For the same price, Cowboy doesn't measure up but then neither does any other motel in GN. I accept that.

So, when Shari and Blanca describe the details and amenities, and effort, they put into their accommodations, I say BRAVO for providing touches that many people, Mexicans and Gringoes alike, will notice AND appreicate. Their accommodations are the ''high end'' I'm looking for and expect of a ''newer'' motel.

By the way, most of the vehicles in the Cowboy parking lot looked Gringo. I assume that is who the Owner is marketing to.

Pompano - 3-21-2013 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

(The Devil made me do it..honest!)

windgrrl - 3-22-2013 at 06:42 AM

Stayed at the Cowboy because Shari takes her whale folks there and I thought that if it's good enough for whale folks, it's good enough for me. We had a room on the 2nd floor in a new room last week. First impressions were great, room was really beautiful, clean, large, and the furnishings were lovely. Even a screen door. We had a view of the sunrise in the morning. The price was excellent. It was so new, I did not think to check the mattress and the bedding was very comfortable. The wireless Internet connection was excellent. We left a paperback behind and the housekeeper rushed out to give it to us before we left.

The parking is tight, but the manager helped us park. Although the parking lot was slightly muddy (but thank goodness for rain) the walkways were clean and the room was spotless. There were a few minor deficiencies which which makes me sad for someone who is trying to achieve a very good standard in circumstances that are not so easy. The toilet already had a small leak, the toilet seat would need replacing soon and tile always makes for more echoed noise outside.

Overall, I thought we would stay again. The room we had was an amazing value compared to what we paid as we crossed into the US and continued north. The prices climbed and we wished for our Baja hotels. We stayed at El Morro, Cowboys and Jardine's this trip and were not disappointed. We have stayed in many modest tourist hotels in Latin America and the Caribbean and the Mexico hotels exceeded the value for the price paid.

Perhaps with the new construction which is a pretty big project, the things that need to be attended to are taking a back seat. The owner did look like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

DENNIS - 3-22-2013 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Ohhh yeah....don't open that door while a CPR is in progress.
NoNoNo...........

shari - 3-22-2013 at 07:53 AM

yup...Cowboy may not have washcloths but they have paramedics!!! har har har...thanks Dennis for my morning snort coffee out my nasal passages.

DENNIS - 3-22-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
yup...Cowboy may not have washcloths but they have paramedics!!! har har har...thanks Dennis for my morning snort coffee out my nasal passages.

Happy to give you a kick-start, Mon Sharí.

watizname - 3-22-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Ohhh yeah....don't open that door while a CPR is in progress.
NoNoNo...........

Good one Dennis. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pompano - 3-22-2013 at 09:11 AM

Ahem.....

:saint:

Bob H - 3-22-2013 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
It would probably not be a bad idea to carry your own mattress covering while traveling. :o

Tony, you are right on here. We always pack sleeping bags to lay over beds when traveling in Baja and even in the USA. It's just a peace of mind deal for us!

Bob H - 3-22-2013 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I wonder how much for 10 minutes... lol:lol:

toneart - 3-22-2013 at 10:32 AM

Some good humor here; Durrell, Pomp, Dennis, Bob H. I was going to say, "Keep it up", but then...poor Bob H. would have his feelings hurt.
I wonder what's on TV in the No Tell Motel(?).:o

Bob H - 3-22-2013 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Some good humor here; Durrell, Pomp, Dennis, Bob H. I was going to say, "Keep it up", but then...poor Bob H. would have his feelings hurt.
I wonder what's on TV in the No Tell Motel(?).:o

:lol::lol::lol:

Marc - 3-24-2013 at 04:46 PM

I pull two old fashioned square sleeping bags out of the truck. Fully opened, one under and one over with my own pillow. Snug as a bug. The only country where I would trust the beds is the UK.

BTW where is the Vaquero? Just wondering.

[Edited on 3-24-2013 by Marc]

DianaT - 3-24-2013 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I pull two old fashioned square sleeping bags out of the truck. Fully opened, one under and one over with my own pillow. Snug as a bug. The only country where I would trust the beds is the UK.

BTW where is the Vaquero? Just wondering.

[Edited on 3-24-2013 by Marc]

It is in Guerrero Negro. I really like your idea the best because I really do not like sleeping in sleeping bags --- too much claustrophobia.

Curious, why the UK?

Opps, on edit --- I answered about the other Vaquero, the one with the English name.

[Edited on 3-25-2013 by DianaT]

tripledigitken - 3-24-2013 at 05:43 PM

Marc,

You'll find it in southern Ensenada, by the Country Club.

Ken

BajaRat - 3-24-2013 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Marc,

You'll find it in southern Ensenada, by the Country Club.

Ken

Beds are clean and good showers :yes: