Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cowboy motel -- hygiene issues
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 10:03 PM
Cowboy motel -- hygiene issues

No single rooms so took a double room. I pull the cover off one of the beds I plan to sleep in and notice there is no mattress pad. I pull the bottom sheet off and notice a large, dry blood stain in the center of the mattress.

Fortunately, the other mattress was without stains. Not sure if dried blood is a hygiene issue but still thought it revolting about sleeping in someone's blood, even if it wasn't fresh.

Is this a non-issue for Baja motels? Is this being prudish? Should I expect a stain free mattress?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 06:41 AM

Hygiene and health safety is important no matter where you are in the world.

You are not being unduly prudish in expecting good hygiene standards. In Mexico, you see a lot of "funky" traces of neglect in corners, but generally, hotels try to keep rooms basically clean. Somehow, the smell of Pinesol is comforting to me.

There is no excuse for blood stains on a mattress with no mattress pad covering it. It would probably not be a bad idea to carry your own mattress covering while traveling. And by all means, pull down the covers and sheets and inspect the bed. Things could get itchy if you don't. :o
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 07:08 AM

Having done the same thing in inspecting the bed and found pubic hair on more than one occasion...best to carry a queen size plastic bed liner and your own sheets with you. You can hand/spot clean the liner and avoids having to wash the sheets every night due to the previous nights bed.

Another item is a cheap plastic screw on shower head...on more than one occasion in camp bathrooms and hotels outside cities I have found the shower head missing.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 07:54 AM
Sleep Sack

This works great

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16037044

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:01 AM

Maybe someone spilled a glass of wine on the bed. :D

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
No single rooms so took a double room. I pull the cover off one of the beds I plan to sleep in and notice there is no mattress pad. I pull the bottom sheet off and notice a large, dry blood stain in the center of the mattress.

Fortunately, the other mattress was without stains. Not sure if dried blood is a hygiene issue but still thought it revolting about sleeping in someone's blood, even if it wasn't fresh.

Is this a non-issue for Baja motels? Is this being prudish? Should I expect a stain free mattress?

it's common to hotels world wide. even in usa, the matresses reflect the high traffic... i find it best to not look under the sheet, out of sight, out of mind!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That is disgusting. In some of the old run down hotels we have stayed at in the past in Baja and on the Mainland, we have been careful, but most of the time even the old run down places are reasonably clean. We usually check a room first before we rent because when traveling by bus, carrying you own bedding is more difficult. But even that might not help as when checking, we may sit on the bed, but we don't really inspect it and remain ignorant as to what is there.

In a fairly new hotel, one does expect a bit better and certainly not what you discovered. If you found it so easily, then someone is not watching, or someone does not care. Then again, in some very surprising places in Baja we have discovered beds where the sheets were not changed --- not good :no:

Thanks for the report

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 09:43 AM

I'm in the don't look camp too.

Rethinking the sleeping bag on motel bed scenerio though..............

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Maybe someone spilled a glass of wine on the bed. :D

Or bled out after cutting their wrists. Jeeeezo....have some compassion. :barf:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 10:19 AM
Inspections

"Most" motel/hotel owners/managers are just interested in $$$ and neglect to do random, unannounced top-to-bottom room inspections. That is the only way to insure rooms are being maintained.

My question to them after finding problems is always....would you stay in this room???

Be interesting to hear what our Nomad B&B and hotel/motel owners/managers have to say about this thread and how they inspect/maintain their rooms.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 10:36 AM

I once complained to the manager at a motel in the US about wet urine on the materess and they immediately turned it over fort me :lol:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I once complained to the manager at a motel in the US about wet urine on the materess and they immediately turned it over fort me :lol:

Hey Bob....where are you?
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:10 PM

Has anyone ever recommended this place on here?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:19 PM

Yes... see Nomad Search, top left of page...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 03:14 PM

That's one of the reasons I prefer camping.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:22 PM

I used to check under the mattress, have found money, magazines and some interesting 'toys' :o

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:44 PM

oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhh gross.

I myself change the bed sheets, so I am the one doing the inspecting. All our mattresses would pass muster and pillows are closely inspected as well.

I am a bit of a weirdo/fanatic when it comes to cleaning: even the door handles to all rooms, bathrooms are swiped with disinfectant. I even do the shower hot and cold water handles, toilet flush handles - you get the picture. I would rather be safe than sorry. Every so often we put the mattresses outside under the sun for hours - the smell is wonderful and there is something oldfashioned in me that says it is good for the soul of whomever sleeps on that bed.

The worst you might find is dust under the beds ... it just appears so quickly that I can't keep up ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 09:34 PM

1st night was 2nd floor, single. Newer room, newly constructed. When construction was finished, the room needed to be cleaned of splattered grout, paint on trim/walls, floor, etc. and this hasn't been done. Mattress was fine.

With the 2nd floor rooms come more people and less parking. Both nights filled up and guests were double parking making exiting almost impossible. If parking isn't expanded, it will only get worse.

Both nights had guests arriving late but still partying. A group of motorcyclists started partying at 7am this morning. Did not understand why ''security'' did not quiet things down for those who were still sleeping. I've not experienced this at Caracole, Malarimmo, Cactus or Coco's in Loreto.

Plan on traveling with own sheets and a sleeping bag for top of the mattress. Pillows at Cowboy are still unacceptable.

I'll check out rooms at Caracole/Malarimmo next visit. This visit at Cowboy had a ''zoo'' atmosphere.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:28 PM

We always travel with our own pillows and I always pull the sheets up to inspect for those little bed bugs that love to get into the bed raised trim on the corners and along the bed. We even have throw blankets in our vehicle just in case. If you see one bed bug believe me you will find others, so change rooms don't try to get rid of them it won't work. If they don't have another room then I would leave and have.
Some may try to keep your money or take some out saying you used the room but if your complaining don't work report them to local government agency that is responsible for health issues. Threats of letting others know about their dirty rooms will some times work but you will also have those that will not care one way or another.
Now, in fairness this is not just a Mexico problem in hotels, as we have run across this problem in San Diego and even back in Fort Worth. In San Diego the hotel was soooo bad that even the restroom had not been clean and gift in the toilet and it wasn't no dang money either. Went to get our money back and they tried to say they wouldn't credit it back until I told them I had pictures and was going to the health department next morning. If I said the name of it probably others may have experienced their bad cleaning and it was not Motel 6 but it did have a number after the Motel. The Republican Convention was in town and every hotel was full. Since this being the last of 5 we tried to find a room that night we gave it our best shot just too nasty to stay there. So,with this experience we just drove back to the Valley even though it was really late.
Every time I past by this hotel off of 8, even though it has been remodeled, I get those bad memories of that experience. So, do check under sheets but know it can happen anywhere and that my fellow Nomads is just a fact of life, LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe----- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 11:43 AM

I am with Monoloco, camping for us too, but that has it's own problems. Not enough choices and often lousy services.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.