BajaNomad

Border Patrol and Hwy 98

56MM# - 3-27-2013 at 05:42 PM

This morning, after crossing into the U.S. at Mexicali, I stopped along the south side of Hwy 98 for a five-minute break. I was about halfway between Calexico and Ocotillo. It wasn't two minutes after I got back on the road that a Border Patrol vehicle pulled me over. The agent asked what I was doing.

After I answered him in graphic language, he asked to look in my vehicle. I then asked him why he pulled me over. He said it was because I pulled off the highway on the south side and that this area is off limits.

Am wondering when it became illegal to stop in the desert, especially considering I and likely many others who contribute to this board ride dirt bikes and four wheel (or used to do so) in this area.

I guess it isn't enough that crossing back to the U.S. has become more difficult over the past 10 years. Now we have to worry about being stopped after crossing.

DENNIS - 3-27-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 56MM#
I guess it isn't enough that crossing back to the U.S. has become more difficult over the past 10 years. Now we have to worry about being stopped after crossing.

Nothing new on #94 between Tecate and SD/Chula Vista. Immigration even took up residence there.
It's Homeland Security treating all Americans like terrorists.
Did you happen to see any drones flying around in the sky? If not, you probably will soon enough.
It really sucks, don't it.

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2013 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
This morning, after crossing into the U.S. at Mexicali, I stopped along the south side of Hwy 98 for a five-minute break. I was about halfway between Calexico and Ocotillo. It wasn't two minutes after I got back on the road that a Border Patrol vehicle pulled me over. The agent asked what I was doing.

After I answered him in graphic language, he asked to look in my vehicle. I then asked him why he pulled me over. He said it was because I pulled off the highway on the south side and that this area is off limits.

Am wondering when it became illegal to stop in the desert, especially considering I and likely many others who contribute to this board ride dirt bikes and four wheel (or used to do so) in this area.

it's not illegal unless signed "no stopping."

sounds like you met another of the federal governments jack booted thugs hell bent on trampling civil liberties. law enforcement often lies, just remember, whatever a LE officer says has 50/50 chance of being a lie.

monoloco - 3-27-2013 at 06:27 PM

Why don't they furlough some of those jacka$$es? And for good measure half the TSA.

J.P. - 3-27-2013 at 07:20 PM

And when the DAY comes stupid people dont think Those JACK BOOTED A____ HOLES WONT TURN ON THEM. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ateo - 3-27-2013 at 07:25 PM

That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money.

chuckie - 3-28-2013 at 05:12 AM

Similar thing happened to me...I left the border crossing at Tecate, stoppped a ways down the road to make the Van US worthy for my dog. Didnt get 1/4 mile before 2 BP cars pulled me over....

Why Whine and Whinny

MrBillM - 3-28-2013 at 06:05 AM

It would seem perfectly reasonable for LE to be curious in said situations in areas where Human and Contraband smuggling is common.

Going back 45+ years, I've (occasionally) had similar experiences.

Which involved a very little inconvenience and no more than a few minutes.

Given that there's no claim of mistreatment, it seems a little absurd to be overly concerned.

windgrrl - 3-28-2013 at 06:43 AM

...also a new BP check stop north of Glamis, CA...very quick, friendly stop and in that area, the big black military helicopters slowly rising out of the gullies along the highway are an interesting sight.

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by windgrrl]

paranewbi - 3-28-2013 at 06:51 AM

Counter experiance:

Several miles east of the Buckman Springs check point on I-8 (Morena Lake turnoff) ahead of me a large white windowless van pulled over suddenly and out jumped a couple of dozen people who scurried down the hillside fromt he freeway (northside) and off into the bushes. The van continued down the freeway although in my rearview mirror by then. When I arrived at the check point it was closed. With "That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money." (Ateo)...someone still has the nerve to go for it!

Again...Aproaching the same check point headed up the grade to it, my wife and I were suddenly met headon by a truck packed with people going the wrong way down the grade and swerving into the emergency lane to miss us...these guys were flying! When we got to the checkpoint I reported it to the BP guy because from their point of view they could not see back down the grade at these guys who were going to kill someone driving the wrong way on the freeway!..."That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money." (Ateo).

Not for Government 'thuggery', but I am sure glad the presence probably prevents more of the two instances I experianced.

Been There TOO

MrBillM - 3-28-2013 at 07:07 AM

Years back when Hwy 86 was still a two-lane.

Vehicles stopping at turnouts where there were a lot of Tamarisk trees and unloading before going on to the Checkpoint.

One time, I pulled over to take a leak in the trees just in case there was a long wait at the checkpoint and found a bunch of guys hiding in the trees.

THAT was unnerving. I decided to hold on until after the check.

AND, I've reported the sightings to the BP each time.

Who appreciated it.

dtbushpilot - 3-28-2013 at 07:42 AM

Those men and women are doing a dangerous job. I interact with them a lot with the amount of times I cross the border. The only officers that I've had negative experience with have been at the crossing but even that is rare. I appreciate the job that they are doing...

DENNIS - 3-28-2013 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Those men and women are doing a dangerous job. I interact with them a lot with the amount of times I cross the border. The only officers that I've had negative experience with have been at the crossing but even that is rare. I appreciate the job that they are doing...

Customs.........Border Patrol.........same boss, different jobs.
Border Patrol may be working at a dangerous job, but it'a a job even their employer doesn't want them to be successful at. It's a big waste of time and money.....a disingenuous government charade.
[this from someone who would, given the opportunity, dig a moat from the Gulf to the Pacific]

Ateo - 3-28-2013 at 08:12 AM

It's my belief that it's a waste of money. Why? Because if you want to get into the USA, you can. That is a fact. What we are doing is making it more expensive and dangerous to do that. People are driving down the wrong way of a highway trying to evade capture!!

We are doing that by increasing the number of agents, planes, helicopters, drones, trucks, etc... All that costs billions and billions and billions of dollars. All to keep people and drugs out -- which last time I checked -- all are still readily available. Need an illegal alien gardener, some coke, some tweek, some tar? All readily available while we pour billions into creating jobs for the border patrol.

We need the border patrol, just not this many. :cool:

mcfez - 3-28-2013 at 09:06 AM

Just make the process easy and cheap.....for the good folks to enter the US to work. Make it easier for the folks to visit the US.

I hate the so called border checks.......looking for illegal human trafficking and stowaways. Do they really find mass numbers of illegal folks entering the Us in the back of a trunk of a car?

You cant blame the cop that pulled you over (was was dead wrong to do)....he is under orders to do so...I assume.

monoloco - 3-28-2013 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
It's my belief that it's a waste of money. Why? Because if you want to get into the USA, you can. That is a fact. What we are doing is making it more expensive and dangerous to do that. People are driving down the wrong way of a highway trying to evade capture!!

We are doing that by increasing the number of agents, planes, helicopters, drones, trucks, etc... All that costs billions and billions and billions of dollars. All to keep people and drugs out -- which last time I checked -- all are still readily available. Need an illegal alien gardener, some coke, some tweek, some tar? All readily available while we pour billions into creating jobs for the border patrol.

We need the border patrol, just not this many. :cool:
Not to mention that it pretty much insures that anyone who does cross illegally will never return to Mexico unless deported.

The Baja Bomb

David K - 3-28-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:

I can understand what you felt... pulled off the road for a break, as I have many times on 98 (but I now use I-8 via El Centro then 111 to Mexicali)... They were watching you on infa red night vision when you pulled over from some hilltop.

My run in with the border patrol in the same area:

In 1974, two friends and I were driving my VW Myers Manx dune buggy to San Felipe and broke down on I-8, on top of the mountain (fuel pump issue)... we coasted to the bottom of the grade and pushed it to the gas station at the Ocotillo exit (next to the Desert Rose Cafe that was once open).

The mechanics at the (then) Texaco station couldn't fix it, so they let us park the buggy there until our San Felipe trip was over. My parents drove there that night (from Escondido) in both of their cars, and let us use my dad's station wagon to continue the trip to Nuevo Mazatlan (world's greatest Baja parents)! I would pull the dune buggy back to Escondido on our return trip, as the wagon had the tow bar to pull the buggy.

It was late, so we slept in the gas station parking lot to get started the next morning. Sometime later that night, spot lights were shined on us as border patrol Jeeps pulled up... closely examined the tires on my dune buggy and claimed they matched the tire tracks of some smugglers they were after. I told the officers (I was 16, by-the-way) that the buggy was not involved in anything but being a nightmare on this trip and if they could get it started, it was theirs!

There is more to this 'Baja Bomb' story... I made it into a magazine article in '74.

J.P. - 3-28-2013 at 09:38 AM

I read something that the Border Patrol HARASSMENT ZONE had beem increased fron 50 miles to 100 miles Inland.

motoged - 3-28-2013 at 10:37 AM

Nomads,
Since it is what it is.....why not have some fun with it?

Maybe stop in those terrorist zones on purpose just so you could time the BP's response time....offer them a cold lemonade....or just thank them for the dangerous work they do.:light:

It's a business.

I thanked the Federales in Michoacan and Guererro states for their dangerous work when clarifying highway safety conditions several times recently....they seemed surprised by my comment, but appreciative.

I enjoy the scrutiny at the border these days since I stopped importing huge amounts of narcotics, illegal aliens, and cactus cuttings :biggrin:

David K - 3-28-2013 at 10:42 AM

So Ged, do the Mounties have checkpoints or randomly pull you guys over looking for illegals or drug runners? :?:

Cisco - 3-28-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I read something that the Border Patrol HARASSMENT ZONE had beem increased fron 50 miles to 100 miles Inland.

True. From any border. Canada, Mexico, Pacific and Atlantic.

DavidE - 3-28-2013 at 12:14 PM

I remember going for a bike ride very near the border. Cut down the hill on a trail, then used the frontage road along the fence. A border patrol Bronco soon intercepted me.

"Are you aware of the number of sensors you set off on your bicycle ride?"

But NOTHING was as scary as those first days after 09/11. I decided to cut across from THING ROAD to 188. Ran into a gosh darnned BRADLEY tracked vehicle blocking the brecha with its cannon aimed right at my radiator. What in the world were these people thinking of?

I find it's a tiny help to have disabled plates on the car, and a blue placard on the dash. With a bad spine, US Customs wants me to sit on a hard bench while going through the car, They objected to me carrying a cushion from the car to to bench. I told them I had a herniated disc. This young punk CBP asked me "Do you want an ambulance?" I lodged a complaint with the port director, and then again with agencies in Washington. After four months I got a letter supposedly written by the agent (too young to be a special agent) apologizing for his smart mouth.

I can only imagine how bad this gauntlet is for Mexicans. Legal ones, with correct documentation that cross the border and spend millions of dollars shopping in the USA. The problem is these jerks are untouchable. I want BIG SIS to ride with me and subject HER to some of the smartass scrutiny she is responsible over.

Grumble, Mumble, Belch

motoged - 3-28-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So Ged, do the Mounties have checkpoints or randomly pull you guys over looking for illegals or drug runners? :?:

David,
What is your point? Are you asking a question or setting up a comment...or some drivel about "freedoms and rights"?

Canada is a quite different country with many different social and cultural factors than your country.

The RCMP generally do a very good job of fulfilling their duties and catching bad guys.

Cisco - 3-28-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

David,
What is your point? Are you asking a question or setting up a comment...or some drivel about "freedoms and rights"?

Canada is a quite different country with many different social and cultural factors than your country.

The RCMP generally do a very good job of fulfilling their duties and catching bad guys.

CBP was really bad in, I believe it was 2008 on the Olympic Peninsula. Got to the point where the local's pretty well drove them out from what I understand but from Neah bay east to Port Townsend I was stopped repeatedly (drive a generic white, windowless van) as I am on the southern border.

I left the area and never went back. When asked why I was stopped I was told because "we don't want 'the bad guy's' coming in from Canada".

This should not be a reflection on Canada by any means. It is the U.S. CBP overreaction and general abuse of authority that is rampant within the agency.

Same on the southern border. When I see them racing their quads with each other in the T.J. valley and over by the model airplane place it sickens me.

The overstaffed SW border is full of a lot of bored enforcers who want any kind of diversion (can I look in your car???) to break up their day.

Maintiens le Droit

mtgoat666 - 3-28-2013 at 01:11 PM

Quote:

this guy seems much more friendly than USA CBP guys:

Maintiens le Droit

J.P. - 3-28-2013 at 01:30 PM

I have always had a interest in custom cars and trucks. Back in 1988 I had a new Nissan Pickup It was Professionaly lowered and had a tonneau cover on it. I was making my anual treck from Ca back To Houston tx. At a ckeck point just outside El Paso they stopped me and wanted to know what I was Hauling, I answered Nothing so they made me remove the toneau cover and there was nothing but two suitcases in the bed. because the truck sat so close to the ground they brought out a floor jack and after jacking it up crawled all around under it.after going over it inside and out with a fine tooth comb they let me go. I had a feeling they still didnt belive there wasnt anything in the truck as I drove away.

Cisco - 3-28-2013 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I have always had a interest in custom cars and trucks. Back in 1988 I had a new Nissan Pickup It was Professionaly lowered and had a tonneau cover on it. I was making my anual treck from Ca back To Houston tx. At a ckeck point just outside El Paso they stopped me and wanted to know what I was Hauling, I answered Nothing so they made me remove the toneau cover and there was nothing but two suitcases in the bed. because the truck sat so close to the ground they brought out a floor jack and after jacking it up crawled all around under it.after going over it inside and out with a fine tooth comb they let me go. I had a feeling they still didnt belive there wasnt anything in the truck as I drove away.

I totally dis-like that checkpoint. I forget the movie guy's name that makes martial arts movies but he is a volunteer deputy sheriff in that county and visits that checkpoint. Consequently they have a martial arts enforcers attitude to contend with in addition to their normal crappiness.

But, warning to all. The checkpoint east of Yuma is the most hated. CBP officers have been deputized and will do thorough checks whenever they have any suspicion of marijuana in the vehicle. They will bust you for a seed and they use that as a cash cow for the county in fines and enforcement, lawyer fees if you don't come back to court and need local representation,...

Terry28 - 3-28-2013 at 01:51 PM

Seems to be a lot of paranoia around here..

DENNIS - 3-28-2013 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Seems to be a lot of paranoia around here..

It's our last line of defense before we have to turn our minds over to Homeland Security.

Cisco - 3-28-2013 at 02:01 PM

"18.6(E) Checkpoints:
The Border Patrol conducts two types of inland traffic-checking operations: checkpoints and roving patrols. Border Patrol agents can make routine vehicle stops without any suspicion to inquire into citizenship and immigration status at a reasonably located permanent or temporary checkpoint provided the checkpoint is used for the purpose of determining citizenship of those who pass through it, and not for the general search for those persons or the vehicle. Inquiries must be brief and limited to the immigration status of the occupants of the vehicle. The only permissible search is a “plain view” inspection to ascertain whether there are any concealed illegal aliens."

"18.7(A) Mere Suspicion:
At the border..., an inspector needs only mere suspicion to justify a search and comply with the requirements of the Fourth Amendment. This is because the person is attempting to enter the United States from abroad and may reasonably be required to demonstrate that the person and his or her belongings are entitled to enter the United States."

"18.7(B) Reasonable Suspicion:

Before an inspector may constitutionally detain a person (non-entry related case), the inspector must have reasonable suspicion that the person is an alien and is illegally in the United States. This higher degree of suspicion arises generally in questioning persons encountered in and around the port who are awaiting persons referred to secondary. This suspicion is based on questioning of alienage alone and also involves specific articulable facts, such as particular characteristics or circumstances which the inspector can describe in words."

- Customs & Border Protection, Inspector's Field Manual (2008)

"As we have stated, '[t]he Constitution [is] violated [ ] when the detention extend[s] beyond the valid reason for the initial stop.'"
- Fifth Circuit (U.S. vs Machuca Barrera), 2001

"The scope of a stop is limited to investigation of matters justifying the stop."

"The Fourth Amendment's requirement that stops be reasonable applies equally to a checkpoint."

motoged - 3-28-2013 at 03:04 PM

Crossing north at Tecate 10 years ago on my street bike (after 3 weeks getting dusty and dirty in Baja), the female customs officer was brusquely shoved aside by a male officer saying "He's mine!" and he directed me to the stainless steel table where he proceeded to go into EVERY thing in my bags....he was sorely disappointed when he found no substances, people, or ideas that were offensive or illegal.

I just stood and watched knowing that his efforts were futile....I politely asked him to replace everything as he found it (knowing he would not)...he stomped away in a huff :saint: :lol:

I know what the game is and just grin and bear it.....the last list I want my name on is a border list :light:

Canadian custom /border agents can be dinks, too.....we just have far less of that attitude up here.....and have far less of the problem the southern states have.

Our 49th parallel border has become worse since the 9-11 thing and the American reaction :cool:

dtbushpilot - 3-28-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David,

DON"T DO IT DK, IT"S A TRAP!!!!!!

motoged - 3-28-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:

DON"T DO IT DK, IT"S A TRAP!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David, yer killin' me....:P :biggrin:

And DK wasn't doing that???? Huh, Dave, huh???? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I really want to avoid the border thing being about DK.

Besides, I don't like the feeling of the hook in my throat when I stoop to take the bait :rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by motoged]

David K - 3-28-2013 at 09:28 PM

It was just a friendly question. Never mind.

Bajaboy - 3-28-2013 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
It was just a friendly question. Never mind.

David, sounds like you are in luck:
http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2011/07/mounties_let_honest_pot...

DavidE - 3-29-2013 at 12:04 PM

Canadian Customs gave me a hard time back in 2005. Blaine crossing. "Why are you coming to Canada? Are you looking for work? Where are your firearms?" On Vancouver Island at least the Mounties were extremely strict about driving rules.

I sat in a jam packed waiting room returning. CBP had my car keys. One and one half hours on a hard bench. No bathroom. Through the drawers and cupboards of my camper the contents had been tossed. Neatly stacked clothing in tight closets jumbled. After the wait a woman approached me with my keys and said "We'd appreciate it if you left right away, we need the room".

This is insanity. An omnipotent law enforcement agency totally out of control as far as civility is concerned. The idiots in Washington do not CARE if hundreds of millions of dollars are lost yearly because Canadians and Mexicans would rather stay home and shop rather than run this gauntlet.

"Improve Your Attitude Or Take An Across The Board Pay Cut Of 25 Percent"
(Yeah right, but I can dream)

Made me long for México where a person enters and encounters little or no hassle.

sancho - 3-29-2013 at 12:19 PM

Dangerous? Construction, farming are dangerous.
Can't see sitting in a SUV on a desert Hwy reaches
any level of danger. Are there a few incidents every
yr., yes. But so are there for truck drivers. Last
time I checked, illegal crossers into the US were way down
due to the US economy, a certain # of illegals
have returned to Mex due to lack of work here.
You would be unlikely to find Border Patrol listed
in tha Labor Stats as dangerous

[Edited on 3-29-2013 by sancho]

DENNIS - 3-29-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
This is insanity. An omnipotent law enforcement agency totally out of control as far as civility is concerned. The idiots in Washington do not CARE if hundreds of millions of dollars are lost yearly because Canadians and Mexicans would rather stay home and shop rather than run this gauntlet.

It's shameful when you consider that for some visitors to the US, this is the first thing they see...........their first encounter with Americans.

So much for, "Image is everything."

durrelllrobert - 3-29-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco

When asked why I was stopped I was told because "we don't want 'the bad guy's' coming in from Canada".

Canadians are allowed to enter the US without a Visa and my Canadian wife had been doing that to come to Baja for 15 years. When I married her in 2008 we were stopped at the Canadian/US border and asked if we were married. When we confessed that we were she was permanently refused entry into the US until she obtained a green/ permanent residence card. In the meantime she had to fly non-stop from Canada to Mexico City and then Tijuana. Two years and $2000 later, INCLUDING 2 TRIPS TO jUAREZ FOR INTERVIEWS. she got the card.
All this because she was dumb enough to marry an American.

DavidE - 3-30-2013 at 09:45 AM

Yet the "Big Fights" are over taxes, Obamacare, and the 2nd Amendment. I wonder just how many "arguments" that consume public attention are orchestrated by folks in power to keep a public with attention deficit disorder from seeing what's REALLY going on. CBP does not give a damn if they KILL cross border shopping because their 80K/yr salary is not dependent on it. What am I saying? - No one is Washington gives a good gosh darnn about the public because when they feel like it they give themselves raises and say MORE TAXES! Ever learn the hard way about arguing with CBP? My advice is don't try it because they have enough regulatory arsenal to force the issue to the point of body cavity searches. One tiny step lower than Geheim Stattspolizei. As long as I am b-tching, find out how many Border patrol and US Customs agents are outright racist. It's stunning.

DENNIS - 3-30-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
As long as I am b-tching, find out how many Border patrol and US Customs agents are outright racist. It's stunning.

Particularly for the BP, the enemy is defined by race. What degree of understanding and acceptance should be expected?

Ateo - 3-30-2013 at 10:24 AM

Yesterday a friend told me about one of his workers whose family had a dead body placed on their front lawn last week down on the mainland. This week they all came across the border in trunks of cars. All these billions of $$$'s sure is securing the border!!!

[Edited on 3-30-2013 by Ateo]

DENNIS - 3-30-2013 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yesterday a friend told me about one of his workers whose family had a dead body placed on their front lawn last week down on the mainland. This week they all came across the border in trunks of cars.

Who did? Your friends family?

Quote:

All these billions of $$$'s sure is securing the border!!!

Yeah...it's a huge waste.
Aside from that, every time the US makes an effort to get serious about securing the border, Mexico calls it an insult, and as we all know, our President sure doesn't want to be insulting to anyone but us.

dtbushpilot - 3-30-2013 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
As long as I am b-tching, find out how many Border patrol and US Customs agents are outright racist. It's stunning.

Particularly for the BP, the enemy is defined by race. What degree of understanding and acceptance should be expected?

Where do I look to find those statistics? Is there a web site that has this info available? Do the racist agents declare their racism when they are hired?......just askin...

DENNIS - 3-30-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:

Where do I look to find those statistics? Is there a web site that has this info available? Do the racist agents declare their racism when they are hired?......just askin...

You have to research using the key words, "Stunning Statistics." :lol:

Ateo - 3-30-2013 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yesterday a friend told me about one of his workers whose family had a dead body placed on their front lawn last week down on the mainland. This week they all came across the border in trunks of cars.

Who did? Your friends family?

Quote:

Friends coworker's family came across.

chuckie - 3-30-2013 at 11:36 AM

I think statistics like that are found under "delusions myths and conspiracies"

DavidE - 3-30-2013 at 12:06 PM

No, just pay attention when Border Patrol agents are talking amongst themselves. Better yet, just come right out and ask:

"Ever been to Mexico? No? Why not?"

Wanna peeem off? Tell them that the US is getting more like Mexico and Mexico is getting more like the US every year.

dtbushpilot - 3-30-2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I think statistics like that are found under "delusions myths and conspiracies"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 3-30-2013 at 01:00 PM

I "found" a dead body on my patio in Puebla in the seventies. It was surrounded by cops when I heard an early AM noise and looked out the window. Apparently a toxicado (imbiber of pure cane alcohol) went to sleep there and did not wake up. The nosy neighbors saw the body and called the cops. The cops demanded 200 pesos as a "processing fee" from me. Arturo, my next door neighbor told them to go climb a Nopal.

People in a trunk getting by the nose of a canine? The absolute sureness of the driver and occupants being arrested and the car impounded forever? Fascinating.

Cisco - 3-30-2013 at 01:34 PM

Too many wearing uniforms feel powerless; yet because they own savage tendencies(and live in a culture that celebrates the use of force) the abuse of power becomes second-nature to them.

DENNIS - 3-30-2013 at 01:47 PM

Quote:

People in a trunk getting by the nose of a canine? The absolute sureness of the driver and occupants being arrested and the car impounded forever? Fascinating.

Fascinating, to say the least. What with enhanced vigilance at the gate, I can't imagine using that method to travel any more. Trunks are opened as standard procedure these days.

Ateo - 3-30-2013 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Fascinating, to say the least. What with enhanced vigilance at the gate, I can't imagine using that method to travel any more. Trunks are opened as standard procedure these days.

Yep DavidE and DENNIS, I agree. Lose car. Go to jail. Pay fine. Them dogs sniff for people. I wouldn't risk it but people do.

durrelllrobert - 3-30-2013 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep DavidE and DENNIS, I agree. Lose car. Go to jail. Pay fine. Them dogs sniff for people. I wouldn't risk it but people do.

Hiding drugs or people in the back of a truck just isn't cutting it anymore. As security has tightened on the border, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents have seen an uptick in creative, even bizarre ways to smuggle drugs and people into the country.

“Anywhere there’s a natural void in a vehicle, or a secret compartment can be hidden, smugglers will try and take advantage of that to hide contraband and people,” said Chris Maston, Director of CBP Field Operations in San Diego. “We’ve seen people hidden in gas tank compartments -- dangerous, specially-built compartments affixed to the under carriage of a vehicle.”

A man attempting to smuggle himself into the U.S. was found recently by a K-9 team at a checkpoint in Jamul, CA. He was wedged between a truck’s customized gas tank and undercarriage. The driver and the undocumented immigrant were both arrested.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/05/30/smugglers-g...

DavidE - 3-30-2013 at 03:47 PM

After the Mexican citizen gets out of jail they lose all border crossing rights forever. Coyotes don't have this problem as they are illegal from the git go. Some US Customs guy quipped to me years ago, "Get caught smuggling and say goodbye to your passport, forever"

If a person gets caught smuggling drugs, their "legacy" proceeds them to prison. Awaiting them are imprisoned narcos who are outraged at the thought someone violated their "plaza"

"Cluck-Cluck-Cluck"
Way - WAY too big a chicken here. No thankee

chuckie - 3-30-2013 at 03:55 PM

I NEVER travel in my trunk.....

Bajafun777 - 3-30-2013 at 10:21 PM

Wow, some of the comments here just make you shake your head. So, you get stopped in a border area and have a conversation of what you are doing since you pulled off the road where drugs and illegal entry occurs day or night.

Dangerous job for those trying to do their jobs and in turn when I get stopped in Mexico as I am sure many of you have I accept the job they are doing. I don't get mad or call them names or hate on them. Yes, maybe their demeanor or ways of handling the stop was not my top ten things that day but it is what it is.

I have no criminal background, I have no illegal drugs on me or in my vehicle and I obey their laws, as i think they should obey ours. I show agents from both Countries respect no matter what and don't let the little things ruin my day. Life is way too short to let the little things enrage you. Enjoy life and leave the casting stones to those that are perfect in their actions to others in their personal and working lives. We all have way too much on our "bucket lists" to finish before we are finished to let the little stuff twist us into knots. Take Care and Travel Safe-------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

dtbushpilot - 3-30-2013 at 11:19 PM

What Bajafun said X2.....

chuckie - 3-31-2013 at 02:46 AM

X3

paranewbi - 3-31-2013 at 03:49 AM

C'mon Bajafun777

Without their psychosis and narcisissim what would they have to contribute?

I think we should all be more concerned about who we invite around our camp fire...
but this place is more like a bonfire sometimes and you can't control who dances around that.

Cisco - 3-31-2013 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Wow, some of the comments here just make you shake your head. So, you get stopped in a border area and have a conversation of what you are doing since you pulled off the road where drugs and illegal entry occurs day or night.

Dangerous job for those trying to do their jobs and in turn when I get stopped in Mexico as I am sure many of you have I accept the job they are doing. I don't get mad or call them names or hate on them. Yes, maybe their demeanor or ways of handling the stop was not my top ten things that day but it is what it is.

I have no criminal background, I have no illegal drugs on me or in my vehicle and I obey their laws, as i think they should obey ours. I show agents from both Countries respect no matter what and don't let the little things ruin my day. Life is way too short to let the little things enrage you. Enjoy life and leave the casting stones to those that are perfect in their actions to others in their personal and working lives. We all have way too much on our "bucket lists" to finish before we are finished to let the little stuff twist us into knots. Take Care and Travel Safe-------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Although I understand and appreciate your position, I’m not going to be interrogated as a pre-condition to traveling within my own country.

Bajafun777 - 4-1-2013 at 11:17 AM

Cisco, unfortunately we have had others reduce our freedoms to lesser levels due to criminal acts and in attempts to keep others safe. Cruel, Mean and insane criminals do not care what any of us go through and any moment any of us can be confronted by such animals. So, how our security is maintained now will always be points of discussion but reality is lesser freedoms due to these types of individuals.

So, to get into a court house now you will empty your pockets and walk through a scanning device and answer whatever questions the officers ask you period. To drive down the street and come upon a DWI stop you will drive through the designated area and answer questions as they look you over period. When you go to take a plane or ship you will go through similar inspections and will answer any questions period. Heck do you realize that the courts have long ago given total authority to schools to search any student within its grounds without a warrant? So, again I see where others may not like it but they need to get over the tail twisting and stress of attacking those doing their jobs to keep at least some level of safety within our borders and communities.

Times have been a changing and I nor really you have the time to let it sour our abilities to enjoy our lives, family, friends and places we love to visit. A few minutes of questions just will not get me into a anger point since I can quickly answer them then be on my way. Too much good stuff out their to let the small stuff ruin our FUN and ENJOYMENT, as we have so many amazing things this world has to offer before we leave it. So, enjoy yourself and may you always find FUN! I know I will, as my desire to complete as many of my "Bucket List Items" before I die is very important to me and hopefully yours are to you too! Ahhh Baja, now getting ready in a few days to head down to La Paz for MORE FUN!! LOL Take Care & Travel Safe-------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Cisco - 4-1-2013 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Cisco, unfortunately we have had others reduce our freedoms to lesser levels due to criminal acts and in attempts to keep others safe. Cruel, Mean and insane criminals do not care what any of us go through and any moment any of us can be confronted by such animals. So, how our security is maintained now will always be points of discussion but reality is lesser freedoms due to these types of individuals.

So, to get into a court house now you will empty your pockets and walk through a scanning device and answer whatever questions the officers ask you period. To drive down the street and come upon a DWI stop you will drive through the designated area and answer questions as they look you over period. When you go to take a plane or ship you will go through similar inspections and will answer any questions period. Heck do you realize that the courts have long ago given total authority to schools to search any student within its grounds without a warrant? So, again I see where others may not like it but they need to get over the tail twisting and stress of attacking those doing their jobs to keep at least some level of safety within our borders and communities.

Times have been a changing and I nor really you have the time to let it sour our abilities to enjoy our lives, family, friends and places we love to visit. A few minutes of questions just will not get me into a anger point since I can quickly answer them then be on my way. Too much good stuff out their to let the small stuff ruin our FUN and ENJOYMENT, as we have so many amazing things this world has to offer before we leave it. So, enjoy yourself and may you always find FUN! I know I will, as my desire to complete as many of my "Bucket List Items" before I die is very important to me and hopefully yours are to you too! Ahhh Baja, now getting ready in a few days to head down to La Paz for MORE FUN!! LOL Take Care & Travel Safe-------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Thank You, that was very well said.

Unfortunately it is an indictment of our society and what we have allowed ourselves to become in relation to others.

Yes, even my VA medical clinic in Mission Valley, San Diego, has detection devices and armed officers at the entrance. Frightening what we have become.

Whale-ista - 4-1-2013 at 12:29 PM

I've been reading this thread with some interest, tho I prefer to visit the board for Information and observations about recreation opportunities, beautiful places to visit, people to meet around Baja, etc.

These discussions are important though, and seem to distill down to: how much surveillance should US citizens accept and tolerate, at home and abroad? Is the "inconvenience" of multiple checkpoints, multi-layer border fences and armed guards the price we pay for (fill in the blank/select all that apply)________________ - security - safety - comfort, and is that price becoming too high for some of us to bear?

I've posted before that I lived in Ensenada in the 90s, and experienced my share of burglaries that were finally ended with the violent assassinations of those responsible (likely drug trade related shooters sent from TJ cartel did the job). So when it comes to security concerns, well, armed guards and municipal police didn't help our community, but narcotraficantes did. That was a new concept to wrap my brain around.

During 1999-2003 I was a research fellow at one of the UC campuses, regarding crossborder environmental policies, and also served as a US Presidential appointee on an advisory board related to NAFTA. That's when I was among the first who received a SENTRI permit, which changed my life in a remarkable way: I could actually enjoy my time in Tijuana, instead of dreading the wait!

During that time I crossed the border many times for meetings with agencies, businesses, academics etc. I also lead groups along the border region to observe what is going on from a political, environmental and social perspective. Believe me, people from other parts of the world find this place fascinating.

We are the world's busiest land-based international port of entry with the most expansive space for these crossings, from the ocean to nearly 10 miles inland. Groups made up of Canadians, Central & Latin Americans, Asians, Europeans and others I have escorted to the fence are shocked by the security infrastructure. They compare us to a divided Berlin, or West Bank/Gaza in Israel, complete with tunnels for illicit commerce.

Since border infrastructure was part of my research and advisory responsibility, I often drove my truck down along the fence, alone and with others, to see what progress was being made. I kept an eye and ear peeled for the inevitable BP fellows, and once they established I was there for a legitimate purpose, we often swapped stories of the strangest things we had experienced along "la linea." Some of them had pretty entertaining stories to tell.

At that time I had a large black labrador who rode with me, and when the agents warned me of rocks being thrown, criminals crossing over to do me harm, etc. I would thank them and assure them I realized the risks, but to date (and ongoing) have not had any problems. My sense was, and remains, that large dogs make good travel companions for single women (but I don't plan to feed my 18 lb. poodle any steroids to test this theory)

One group I lead to Otay, over 10 years ago, included researchers from Mexico City. As I showed the BP agent a large map on the hood of my truck to discuss our travel itinerary, the DFistas posed on their green patrol 4WD, legs and arms spread, to take photos to send home. Apparently, in DF, getting stopped by the BP earns you brownie points.

On another trip, with an environmental group looking for burrowing owls over the then-undeveloped Otay mesa area early on a Sunday morning (there were MANY then), we were suddenly joined by a group of 6 or so border xers who emerged from the tall grass, dressed in dark clothing. They calmly walked by us as we scanned the fence and wilderness areas with binoculars, and jumped into waiting vehicles that had appeared from the industrial park. We all acted as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening, though I may have joked, "Oh, look- more birdwatchers!"

I'm certain they had crossed the night before, and their leader had eyes and ears on us before they determined we were non-threats, radioed ahead and coordinated with the cars to continue heading north.

So, as I embark upon "Baja Border Crossings, Decade 3," I will continue to keep my ears and eyes on alert, and heart and mind open. And on occasion, when someone with authority to do so wants to inspect my vehicle, I will make sure to chat with them about the most boring and mundane details of my reason for traveling throughout the inspection, to the point they are delighted when it's time for me to move on.

This was a tactic I learned while interacting with BP in rigid inflatables who approached us off shore, while we were doing ocean research about Tijuana sewage, which most people don't like to discuss... but that's for another post.... http://www.netconnection.com/outfall/