Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Border Patrol and Hwy 98
56MM#
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 05:42 PM
Border Patrol and Hwy 98

This morning, after crossing into the U.S. at Mexicali, I stopped along the south side of Hwy 98 for a five-minute break. I was about halfway between Calexico and Ocotillo. It wasn't two minutes after I got back on the road that a Border Patrol vehicle pulled me over. The agent asked what I was doing.

After I answered him in graphic language, he asked to look in my vehicle. I then asked him why he pulled me over. He said it was because I pulled off the highway on the south side and that this area is off limits.

Am wondering when it became illegal to stop in the desert, especially considering I and likely many others who contribute to this board ride dirt bikes and four wheel (or used to do so) in this area.

I guess it isn't enough that crossing back to the U.S. has become more difficult over the past 10 years. Now we have to worry about being stopped after crossing.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 56MM#
I guess it isn't enough that crossing back to the U.S. has become more difficult over the past 10 years. Now we have to worry about being stopped after crossing.

Nothing new on #94 between Tecate and SD/Chula Vista. Immigration even took up residence there.
It's Homeland Security treating all Americans like terrorists.
Did you happen to see any drones flying around in the sky? If not, you probably will soon enough.
It really sucks, don't it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
This morning, after crossing into the U.S. at Mexicali, I stopped along the south side of Hwy 98 for a five-minute break. I was about halfway between Calexico and Ocotillo. It wasn't two minutes after I got back on the road that a Border Patrol vehicle pulled me over. The agent asked what I was doing.

After I answered him in graphic language, he asked to look in my vehicle. I then asked him why he pulled me over. He said it was because I pulled off the highway on the south side and that this area is off limits.

Am wondering when it became illegal to stop in the desert, especially considering I and likely many others who contribute to this board ride dirt bikes and four wheel (or used to do so) in this area.

it's not illegal unless signed "no stopping."

sounds like you met another of the federal governments jack booted thugs hell bent on trampling civil liberties. law enforcement often lies, just remember, whatever a LE officer says has 50/50 chance of being a lie.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 06:27 PM

Why don't they furlough some of those jacka$$es? And for good measure half the TSA.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 07:20 PM

And when the DAY comes stupid people dont think Those JACK BOOTED A____ HOLES WONT TURN ON THEM. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2013 at 07:25 PM

That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 05:12 AM

Similar thing happened to me...I left the border crossing at Tecate, stoppped a ways down the road to make the Van US worthy for my dog. Didnt get 1/4 mile before 2 BP cars pulled me over....

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 06:05 AM
Why Whine and Whinny

It would seem perfectly reasonable for LE to be curious in said situations in areas where Human and Contraband smuggling is common.

Going back 45+ years, I've (occasionally) had similar experiences.

Which involved a very little inconvenience and no more than a few minutes.

Given that there's no claim of mistreatment, it seems a little absurd to be overly concerned.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 06:43 AM

...also a new BP check stop north of Glamis, CA...very quick, friendly stop and in that area, the big black military helicopters slowly rising out of the gullies along the highway are an interesting sight.

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 06:51 AM

Counter experiance:

Several miles east of the Buckman Springs check point on I-8 (Morena Lake turnoff) ahead of me a large white windowless van pulled over suddenly and out jumped a couple of dozen people who scurried down the hillside fromt he freeway (northside) and off into the bushes. The van continued down the freeway although in my rearview mirror by then. When I arrived at the check point it was closed. With "That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money." (Ateo)...someone still has the nerve to go for it!

Again...Aproaching the same check point headed up the grade to it, my wife and I were suddenly met headon by a truck packed with people going the wrong way down the grade and swerving into the emergency lane to miss us...these guys were flying! When we got to the checkpoint I reported it to the BP guy because from their point of view they could not see back down the grade at these guys who were going to kill someone driving the wrong way on the freeway!..."That road is crawling with border patrol vehicles. What a waste of money." (Ateo).

Not for Government 'thuggery', but I am sure glad the presence probably prevents more of the two instances I experianced.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 07:07 AM
Been There TOO

Years back when Hwy 86 was still a two-lane.

Vehicles stopping at turnouts where there were a lot of Tamarisk trees and unloading before going on to the Checkpoint.

One time, I pulled over to take a leak in the trees just in case there was a long wait at the checkpoint and found a bunch of guys hiding in the trees.

THAT was unnerving. I decided to hold on until after the check.

AND, I've reported the sightings to the BP each time.

Who appreciated it.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 07:42 AM

Those men and women are doing a dangerous job. I interact with them a lot with the amount of times I cross the border. The only officers that I've had negative experience with have been at the crossing but even that is rare. I appreciate the job that they are doing...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Those men and women are doing a dangerous job. I interact with them a lot with the amount of times I cross the border. The only officers that I've had negative experience with have been at the crossing but even that is rare. I appreciate the job that they are doing...

Customs.........Border Patrol.........same boss, different jobs.
Border Patrol may be working at a dangerous job, but it'a a job even their employer doesn't want them to be successful at. It's a big waste of time and money.....a disingenuous government charade.
[this from someone who would, given the opportunity, dig a moat from the Gulf to the Pacific]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 08:12 AM

It's my belief that it's a waste of money. Why? Because if you want to get into the USA, you can. That is a fact. What we are doing is making it more expensive and dangerous to do that. People are driving down the wrong way of a highway trying to evade capture!!

We are doing that by increasing the number of agents, planes, helicopters, drones, trucks, etc... All that costs billions and billions and billions of dollars. All to keep people and drugs out -- which last time I checked -- all are still readily available. Need an illegal alien gardener, some coke, some tweek, some tar? All readily available while we pour billions into creating jobs for the border patrol.

We need the border patrol, just not this many. :cool:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:06 AM

Just make the process easy and cheap.....for the good folks to enter the US to work. Make it easier for the folks to visit the US.

I hate the so called border checks.......looking for illegal human trafficking and stowaways. Do they really find mass numbers of illegal folks entering the Us in the back of a trunk of a car?

You cant blame the cop that pulled you over (was was dead wrong to do)....he is under orders to do so...I assume.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
It's my belief that it's a waste of money. Why? Because if you want to get into the USA, you can. That is a fact. What we are doing is making it more expensive and dangerous to do that. People are driving down the wrong way of a highway trying to evade capture!!

We are doing that by increasing the number of agents, planes, helicopters, drones, trucks, etc... All that costs billions and billions and billions of dollars. All to keep people and drugs out -- which last time I checked -- all are still readily available. Need an illegal alien gardener, some coke, some tweek, some tar? All readily available while we pour billions into creating jobs for the border patrol.

We need the border patrol, just not this many. :cool:
Not to mention that it pretty much insures that anyone who does cross illegally will never return to Mexico unless deported.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:31 AM
The Baja Bomb

Quote:

I can understand what you felt... pulled off the road for a break, as I have many times on 98 (but I now use I-8 via El Centro then 111 to Mexicali)... They were watching you on infa red night vision when you pulled over from some hilltop.

My run in with the border patrol in the same area:

In 1974, two friends and I were driving my VW Myers Manx dune buggy to San Felipe and broke down on I-8, on top of the mountain (fuel pump issue)... we coasted to the bottom of the grade and pushed it to the gas station at the Ocotillo exit (next to the Desert Rose Cafe that was once open).

The mechanics at the (then) Texaco station couldn't fix it, so they let us park the buggy there until our San Felipe trip was over. My parents drove there that night (from Escondido) in both of their cars, and let us use my dad's station wagon to continue the trip to Nuevo Mazatlan (world's greatest Baja parents)! I would pull the dune buggy back to Escondido on our return trip, as the wagon had the tow bar to pull the buggy.

It was late, so we slept in the gas station parking lot to get started the next morning. Sometime later that night, spot lights were shined on us as border patrol Jeeps pulled up... closely examined the tires on my dune buggy and claimed they matched the tire tracks of some smugglers they were after. I told the officers (I was 16, by-the-way) that the buggy was not involved in anything but being a nightmare on this trip and if they could get it started, it was theirs!

There is more to this 'Baja Bomb' story... I made it into a magazine article in '74.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:38 AM

I read something that the Border Patrol HARASSMENT ZONE had beem increased fron 50 miles to 100 miles Inland.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 10:37 AM

Nomads,
Since it is what it is.....why not have some fun with it?

Maybe stop in those terrorist zones on purpose just so you could time the BP's response time....offer them a cold lemonade....or just thank them for the dangerous work they do.:light:

It's a business.

I thanked the Federales in Michoacan and Guererro states for their dangerous work when clarifying highway safety conditions several times recently....they seemed surprised by my comment, but appreciative.

I enjoy the scrutiny at the border these days since I stopped importing huge amounts of narcotics, illegal aliens, and cactus cuttings :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 10:42 AM

So Ged, do the Mounties have checkpoints or randomly pull you guys over looking for illegals or drug runners? :?:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.