BajaNomad

CPB Pressure Cookers Being Siezed

Pages:  1  

DavidE - 4-17-2013 at 04:31 PM

This ain't a good time to bring your pressure cooker home according to a friend who entered at El Paso / Cd. Juarez. His buddy who was also secondaried, had a cooker and canning stuff in his motorhome. CPB confiscated the pressure cooker but not the cases of canned jars of mangoes and fish (from the Caribbean). Secondhand info said the CBP officer said pressure cookers coming the other way would be seized as well. This is getting kinda stupid. I guess some areas have USA inspections looking for guns or money coming into Mexico. Ah man I had plans to buy one in the states.

I can just see it:

"Sorry sir! Electric wire, cookware, butane cylinders, alarm clocks, cellular phones, nails, ball bearings, and every other device or item that can conceivably be used to build an explosive device is now being confiscated".

sancho - 4-17-2013 at 04:37 PM

Reminds me of a time at the San Diego Co Fair,
they were confiscating pocket knifes at the
entry, while inside the fair, in one of the big tents,
all sorts of knives, cutlery were sold

David K - 4-17-2013 at 04:40 PM

How long before baseball bats are confiscated? It took this bunch in office to turn the Patriot Act against the people it was made to protect. Who was it that said if a government says you must give up some liberty for your security, you will loose both?

edited to remove the bats vs. guns comparison I was mistaken on, per Willardguy.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by David K]

chuckie - 4-17-2013 at 04:43 PM

DUMB DUMB DUMB....Next they will outlaw Marathons because they cause bombings...I am so glad I live in Baja!

J.P. - 4-17-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How long before baseball bats (which kill more people than guns) are confiscated? It took this bunch in office to turn the Patriot Act against the people it was made to protect. Who was it that said if a government says you must give up some liberty for your security, you will loose both?

Patriot Act, David it was the invention of your Gang of thief's.and Is operating just the way they planned itit was never intended to protect you or your rights

woody with a view - 4-17-2013 at 04:55 PM

since when are they illegal? i'd demand payment from the turds...

willardguy - 4-17-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
How long before baseball bats (which kill more people than guns) are confiscated? It took this bunch in office to turn the Patriot Act against the people it was made to protect. Who was it that said if a government says you must give up some liberty for your security, you will loose both?
david,david,david, ARE YOU SERIOUS?:lol::lol:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

sancho - 4-17-2013 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

Patriot Act, David it was the invention of your Gang of thief's

Indeed, DK conveniently left out the authors of the Patriot
Act, but who cares about FACTS

David K - 4-17-2013 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Patriot Act, David it was the invention of your Gang of thief's.and Is operating just the way they planned itit was never intended to protect you or your rights

Really? Well, when I was around (living in here the USA) during the Bush years, we were safe and still free after the Patriot Act, and we citizens were not made to feel like criminals if we wanted to protect ourselves with guns or ammo purchasing. We also could take a pressure cooker with us anywhere we wanted. :light:

It was the left that screamed we would lose freedom under the act, but it is the left that is taking away our freedoms.

David K - 4-17-2013 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
david,david,david, ARE YOU SERIOUS?:lol::lol:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

Thank you, if your link is correct, then I am happy to go with the truth, as always! Still doesn't change my question... regardless of how many bats are used to murder people.

mtgoat666 - 4-17-2013 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
CPB confiscated the pressure cooker

you people are so gullible!

a friend of a friend said,... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

DanO - 4-17-2013 at 05:24 PM

Edit -- Looks like Willardguy beat me to it. Didn't mean to pile on.

By the way, the name you're looking for is Benjamin Franklin.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by DanO]

desertcpl - 4-17-2013 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Well, when I was around (living in here the USA) during the Bush years, we were safe and still free after the Patriot Act, and we citizens were not made to feel like criminals if we wanted to protect ourselves with guns or ammo purchasing. We also could take a pressure cooker with us anywhere we wanted. :light:

It was the left that screamed we would lose freedom under the act, but it is the left that is taking away our freedoms.

David,, you crack me up,, do you remember or have you forgotten 911, who's watch was that under, and again the Patriot Act,, golly gee, was this under Bush, I am sure you will blame it on Obama

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 05:34 PM

C'mon folks. Stop picking on DK's "illogic ". As was said, don't point out the facts that get in the way of his victim-rants.

Geedubbya did such a good job of protecting everybody's "rights"...he invented false reasons (as if he was responsible for ANY governance.....puppets can't move on their own) for a war that only needlessly killed a lot of Americans....and others.

My prediction is that the Boston nightmare is the doings of an American terrorist individual or group that is likely at the right side of the political spectrum....Timothty McVey type thinking, perhaps.

But I have been wrong before....we are all waiting to see the whodunnit info.

The horror of the situation isn't losing a cooking pot at the border.....the horror is the loss of life and limb. I don't think that the Democrats are to blame for that....

willardguy - 4-17-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
CPB confiscated the pressure cooker

you people are so gullible!

a friend of a friend said,... :lol::lol::lol::lol:
it must be true, I read it on the internet. uh bonjour!

desertcpl - 4-17-2013 at 05:41 PM

motoged

The horror of the situation isn't losing a cooking pot at the border.....the horror is the loss of life and limb. I don't think that the Democrats are to blame for that....

I would bet you a couple of beers DK will try to convince us other wise

DENNIS - 4-17-2013 at 05:46 PM

You see....the problem with the confiscated pressure cooker is that it holds too much food. They should have had the smaller version. After all, who needs that much pot roast??? :lol:

vgabndo - 4-17-2013 at 05:49 PM

David, blunt objects kill more Americans in America than RIFLES. RIFLES David, not guns in general. Your statement is a bald faced politically motivated lie on the it's face. Here are the statistics from the FBI for 2011. Total people killed by any kind of gun 8583. Total killed by RIFLES 323, total killed by blunt objects, 496.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/c...

Is 496 a greater number than 8583? If it is not, then just please apologize for your immaturity and remain essentially quiet until you know what you are talking about.

And you have got to be the last wing nut on the planet who will still defend George W. Bush!

Stick to missions and naming islands, you're good at that.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh Amigos, I just get sick and tired of people telling lies to support any political position.

edit to remove an error.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by vgabndo]

desertcpl - 4-17-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
You see....the problem with the confiscated pressure cooker is that it holds too much food. They should have had the smaller version. After all, who needs that much pot roast??? :lol:

I think you got the Pot right,, just leave out the roast

I think they forgot to mention that little fact

toneart - 4-17-2013 at 06:08 PM

When one opens mouth and inserts (political) foot, you'd think one would not be able to say more...stuffed mouth and all. :light: But, NO-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-! Wingnut can still flap his lips. :rolleyes:
I predict this thread will become much longer than it should be. Pressure cookers let off steam, and shrapnel too. BLOWhard. Er, I mean blow HARD. :spingrin:

chuckie - 4-17-2013 at 06:12 PM

How quick politics enter these threads..And from the same people...Get a life...

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 06:14 PM

Ya know....if I had the chance to meet DK at a taco stand, we would likely hit it off real well talking about Baja. We both love it....DK is more fortunate than I am as he has been going to THE Baja much longer than I have, and he is much closer. I envy him for that.

And.....I just get so damned turned off/agitated (another self-contradiction :biggrin: ) when he gets into these stoopid political rants....it brings out the republican in me (i.e. I want to get a gun and shoot him :biggrin: ...["not a threat, your honour....it was a rhetorical comment"].

There is an illness at work here....(not DK)....with these mass shootings/bombings. I wish your countrymen/women the wisdom and strength to figure it out before the empire consumes itself.

The world is a crazier place than what we grew up in....or it sure seems like it :?: :o :(

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by motoged]

desertcpl - 4-17-2013 at 06:16 PM

I must say Dk, some times he can completely destroy a tread with his slant on politics,, it brings it all out in most of us

DavidE - 4-17-2013 at 06:23 PM

My friend is a LDS Bishop and isn't given to making up stories. Otherwise I would have shined this on. Course if you wanted to call Ogden and ask him yourself...

DENNIS - 4-17-2013 at 06:24 PM

Any of you who have gone this long seeing DK voice his personal opinions, and still let it bother you, should take back control of your emotions and quit being voluntary victims.
You know you arn't going to agree with him, so why read his posts in hot threads?

And.....quit trying to tell him not to express himself in his chosen way. He's allowed that.
It's the effing American way.

chuckie - 4-17-2013 at 06:28 PM

Bullchit..There is a place for that and it aint here..

castaway$ - 4-17-2013 at 06:30 PM

When we down to Cabo last may I noticed the stewardess serving wine from a glass bottle, yet they take away your shampoo if the bottle holds more than 4 ounces~ Hmm broken wine bottle or shampoo bottle?

DENNIS - 4-17-2013 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
bullpuckey..There is a place for that and it aint here..

Well....you arn't the speech coordinator here.

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Any of you who have gone this long seeing DK voice his personal opinions, and still let it bother you, should take back control of your emotions and quit being voluntary victims.
You know you arn't going to agree with him, so why read his posts in hot threads?

And.....quit trying to tell him not to express himself in his chosen way. He's allowed that.

Well, then commenting on it is also the "American Way", isn't it?

DK could follow your advice (as contradictory as it is) as well. And DK's way isn't necessarily the American Way....but if it is, that's a scary thought.:wow:

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 06:34 PM

Quote:

And who WOULD that be?

And who is the spelling coordinator here? :biggrin:

Ateo - 4-17-2013 at 06:37 PM

Plenty of room for non fact based opinions in the OT. Just saying if you have a political rant you should post it over there as to not embarrass yourself here.

=)

DENNIS - 4-17-2013 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

And who WOULD that be?

And who is the spelling coordinator here? :biggrin:

It's a monotheistic site.

No comment on the spelling nonsense. I quit paying attention to that years ago. It's all so simple.

DENNIS - 4-17-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Plenty of room for non fact based opinions in the OT. Just saying if you have a political rant you should post it over there as to not embarrass yourself here.

=)

DK??? Embarrassed??? :o
Really???????

Ateo - 4-17-2013 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

=)

DK??? Embarrassed??? :o
Really???????

Who said I was talking about DK????

:lol::lol:

Was being vague intentionally.

DK and I share a love for Baja and also live in the same city. I need to get to know him more to determine if he's capable of embarrassment.

I like to be nice, as I think it counters the part of me that wants to be mean!!!!

durrelllrobert - 4-17-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
This ain't a good time to bring your pressure cooker home according to a friend who entered at El Paso / Cd. Juarez. His buddy who was also secondaried, had a cooker and canning stuff in his motorhome. CPB confiscated the pressure cooker but not the cases of canned jars of mangoes and fish (from the Caribbean). Secondhand info said the CBP officer said pressure cookers coming the other way would be seized as well. This is getting kinda stupid. I guess some areas have USA inspections looking for guns or money coming into Mexico. Ah man I had plans to buy one in the states.

I can just see it:

"Sorry sir! Electric wire, cookware, butane cylinders, alarm clocks, cellular phones, nails, ball bearings, and every other device or item that can conceivably be used to build an explosive device is now being confiscated".

You forgot garage door openers commonly used to remotely trigger IEDs.

Bajaboy - 4-17-2013 at 07:11 PM

I find it pathetic that after 911, politicians were accused of not being patriotic if they didn't wear a flag lapel. But just yesterday, there were plenty of people bashing the President. Like the President or not, people need to come together after a tragedy just like they did after 911. It's completely disrespectful to bash on the President in my opinion.

And DK, quit lecturing us on the "American Way"....we all have our own experiences and beliefs...yours are no better than ours.

Howard - 4-17-2013 at 08:25 PM

I will try and lighten up this thread and get back to enjoying learning and sharing things about Baja.

Boy, some of you are grumpy old people!

But first, regarding all of the above, there was a comedian that said after Richard Reid tried to blow up a plane after his shoe had an explosive, we are lucky he did not put the explosive in his hair or we would all have to shave our heads.
Think about it and all the craziness and hysteria that OUR government puts us through.

Terry28 - 4-17-2013 at 09:01 PM

When pressure cookers are outlawed...only outlaws will have pressure cookers!!
" Pried from my cold dead hand" viva la revolution!

toneart - 4-17-2013 at 09:06 PM

Quote:

We have to read his posts because he ambushes us by sneaking his ideology into so many threads. If he doesn't want the criticism, he should think (what a novel idea) before he pushes the send button. He then has a second chance to edit it out.

Yes, he has a right to "express himself in his chosen way", but it is so inappropriate, so tiresome, and it is also a very effective hijack. It screams for attention. It is pitiful. Then he lays down, belly up and cries defensively; always the victim. And he doesn't have the cajones to take it to Off Topic. In there, I would debate him if he shows respect. If he wants a fight, I would verbally cut him three ways; Deep, Wide and Often! :o:lol:

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
It's a monotheistic site.

No comment on the spelling nonsense. I quit paying attention to that years ago. It's all so simple.

:biggrin::biggrin: I like that honesty...:saint:

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard

Boy, some of you are grumpy old people!.

I am not that old ;D

62 just makes me feel old :biggrin:

Scepticism is beginning to dawn in America!

cessna821 - 4-18-2013 at 12:36 AM

Thing don't change much!

Way back in the 1960's when I was in the UK special forces we used to joke about the Soviets - "If there weren't any Russians we'd have to invent them!" was a frequent comment. All of that in order to justify the spending on 'Defence'.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by cessna821]

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by cessna821]

Skipjack Joe - 4-18-2013 at 05:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I am not that old ;D

That just leaves, grumpy. :lol:

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2013 at 06:52 AM

This is hilarious, DK makes a couple of typical DK remarks on the first page of this post and 2 pages later the "gang of five" is still taking shots at him. You guys have been had, DK threw a chicken in the water and the sharks are still fighting over it. Good for you for staying out of it DK, you're learning....:lol::lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 4-18-2013 at 06:54 AM

I love this thread, please keep it going im rolling on the floor.

chuckie - 4-18-2013 at 07:38 AM

Yeah, well, it wont be so funny when they take YOUR pressure cooker...

A rare political piece

Osprey - 4-18-2013 at 07:52 AM

The Disagreement at Spirit Lake

Mark called it a “Man-out”, a men only fishing trip to the Larson cabin in upstate New York right on picturesque Spirit Lake. First day, Mark and his dad Aaron opened up the cabin, got everything stored and cleaned and unpacked. It had rained about an hour of the trip from Aaron’s home in Glens Falls and now with a big steak dinner settling, they were weary but unbowed, brandy in hand on the porch overlooking the lake.

On the way up they had talked about family things, the market, Iran, real estate and D.C. Marc had been recruited as an aid to Senator Daniel Harkinson (D) South Dakota less than four years out of law school from his first job with a small Virginia law firm. The whole Larson clan was proud of Mark – the only holdout was the old man. They all knew that Aaron held hope that Mark would use his knowledge of the law to solve people’s legal quarrels, make a good life for himself and his family doing that in Virginia or somewhere in the east.

The irony of the Larson Farms Curse hung heavily in the air at times like these. Mark knew that his family had nearly lost everything while he was in law school. For three long years Aaron was forced to encumber every thing he owned to pay the attorneys from keeping the government from shutting him down. Larson Farms prevailed in court but only after draining the coffers to a point that set the operation back decades. No moon tonight, just the starlight shimmering off the lake. There might as well have been a huge neon sign glowing out there right now, blinking, blinding: Eminent Domain.

Mark was thinking “Well, if not here and now, then where and when would be a good time to tell him about running for congress.”

He got right after it. Why put it off any longer. “Harkinson and Farrell of the DNC called me in last Monday to ask me if I wanted to run for Harkinson’s seat in November when he retires.” There, he said it, it was out there now.

“Well, don’t leave me hangin’. What did you tell em?”

“I told them I’d think about it.”

Aaron said “What does Sky think?”

“Well, she knows the campaign can be a killer for everyone but the DNC has me ahead of Rasmussen going in so I have a chance.”

“And if you lose? What then?”

“The move from Lipscomb to D.C., moneywise, was a wash but if I lose they’ll find me something else in the capital or I guess I could go back to Virginia, join another firm or go out on my own.”

Aaron went back in the cabin, came back out with the brandy bottle. “Well, son thanks for the notice.”

“That’s it? I drive all the way up here to drop the bomb and you say ‘thanks for the notice’?”

“You’re gonna do what you want. You don’t want or need my approval or my blessing or my thoughts. You can’t have my approval or my blessing and you don’t really want to hear what I think about the U.S. Congress and its esteemed members. I came up here to spend some time with my boy and maybe catch some fish.”

“Dad, what have you got against success? If I win, my family will be more secure and I might be in a position to help you and Mom. What’s wrong with wanting that?”

“Don’t worry about Lydia and me. We’ll be fine. We don’t need any help. Outside of some catastrophic medical calamity I don’t know why we would need your help. Anyway, you’re not gonna tell me, at this late date, that it’s about the money. Aren’t you gonna tell me it’s about serving your country, a call to duty, patriotism?”

There was a very long silence – then the sound of a big diesel truck somewhere off to the south.

“Wow, wow, pop, I had no idea you were that bitter. Was it the fight for the farm, what was it, some of those radio or T.V. rabble rousers?”

“It was all of that. It was the fight and learning all I know now about how congress works, how the thing operates, how its members thrive and survive. You think I’m all alone in my bitterness? You think millions of Americans aren’t bitter now? The current congress is the most un-patriotic body we’ve probably ever had and they show it every damn day. You would expect me to be proud of you for joining that group, now? You just played lackey to those thieves for almost three years now and you know you can’t survive in their world unless you go along to get along until the practice diminishes you and your character and you all start talking and looking alike.”

“Is this all political bias? Would you be backing me all the way if Harkinson had an R behind his name? Is that it?”

Aaron took a sip of brandy. “Nope, they’re pretty much all a bunch of thieves. Son, you gotta know, in the very middle of this deep assed recession they voted themselves a pay raise. That was pretty much bi-partisanship at work.

Now that we got that outta the way let’s get right down too it. Just how much money were you thinking about throwing my way when you get up on the hill?”

“C’mon dad. Stop it.”

“No, I wanna know. How much for my help or approval or silence?”

“Silence? Silence about what?”

“Well, I figured the other side will try to derail you anyway they can. They would love to know about Ellen and the baby, about Brad Kutcher’s father calling me to tell you to stay away from Brad, stop groping him, about the cocaine deal you got into that I got quashed, that kinda stuff.”

“Are you saying you would try to stop me? You would help my opponent? You can’t mean that.”

“Congress is all about the quid pro quo. So all I’m asking is, what’s it worth to you? Those deals go on all day long up there and you know it.”

Another long silence followed by a muted cell phone ring tone coming from the open door to the cabin. Mark got up, went inside, walked to the other side of the kitchen and answered the call. Back in the semi darkness of the porch he said “It was Sky. I just told her everything was fine and we were just getting ready for bed.”

Aaron said “Well, for me the brandy and the trip are kickin’ in so….” Another ring tone took Mark back inside.

“Sorry, that was Harkinson. They’re pressing me for an answer.”

“Well, that’s politics for ya. I’m gonna hit the hay. I’ll be up before first light and I’ll make some coffee. When it’s ready I’ll get you up so we can be ready to troll the south shore just after sunup.”

“You won’t be satisfied until I play your silly game. Okay, I’ll play along. How does a million dollars sound?”

“Mark, that sounds like chump change. Harkinson probably steals more than that from his franking fund. Sad part is, now, if they subpoenaed me I’d have to tell em about the offer from my own son.

You got a mighty short memory. Your old buttcrack buddy Ed Frisk is still in prison for trying to sell your baby for $6,000 dollars to a couple in Sausalito and you were gonna split it with him. I still got a picture of you from the paper where the hospital camera caught you in mask and greens. How do you sleep with that, boy?”

“It was a crazy time for me back then. I was having problems. You know that. That’s all ancient history; I’m a different person now. All that craziness is behind me.” Mark said.

“Well, it’s your call. I’m almost 70 years old now, you’re only 34 so you might want to just hold off until I die. Then you’ll have little or nothing to hold you back, nothing much to jump out of the past to make you radioactive as they say, unelectable.”

Mark sipped the last of his brandy, stood up. “My own father. I have to wait til’ you die? That’s a helluva note pop. I’m not listening to any more of this. Our discussions about my future are done. No more. No more. I’ll see you in the morning.”

They did get an early start and it was a good thing because a stiff breeze came up out of the northeast and chased them back to shore about nine. The water in the lake was a little high for the season and it took a while to find the sweet spot along the shore when they started getting nice trout and a couple of keeper salmon. When the rain started coming down in sheets and they were back on the cabin porch they agreed it might be a good time to just enjoy the rain sounds, wait til’ it stopped and put the boat back in the shed, head on home.

Lydia decided to have a lunch for some Glens Falls lady neighbors and friends and the next Thursday morning she was busy as she wanted to be setting out things for the meal just like the cooks on the food channels. Aaron was at Ralph’s market getting the things she had forgotten. The phone rang and she almost just let it ring off the hook.

“Lydia? It’s Sky. I’m not supposed to tell you yet but I’m just bursting at the seams. We are going to be your new neighbors! Mark just called to tell me we’re moving to Glens Falls, he and Jeff Fines are starting a new law office. We are going to be your new neighbors! I’m so excited. The boys don’t know what the hell the whole thing means but I know they’ll be happy to get their dad back and to be able to go outdoors, play in the woods, go to the parks, do all the stuff in upstate. We can visit, have lunch, have dinners, go places together, do all the things we couldn’t do while we were in Virginia and here. I’m so excited to get out of D.C., out of the rat-race, out of the dress up mess.”

“Well, Sky, I couldn’t be happier. That is special news. I can’t wait to see you. When do you think you’ll get back over here?”

“I don’t know. We have to sell the house, then there’s school. Lydia, I’ve got to go. I have about a million people to Email and call.”

At 6:30 that evening the phone rang and it was Mark for Aaron.

“Sky called earlier and told Lydia all about it. As you can imagine, I’m surprised and very, very pleased. What made the difference, if you want to share?”

“You’re not going to believe it. I didn’t either. I thought they were joking. They said ‘Mark, I wouldn’t worry about your family doing anything to harm your chances, your campaign, your future in government. We have ways of making all those things go away, simply vanish, no longer a worry.’”

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Yes, he has a right to "express himself in his chosen way", but it is so inappropriate, so tiresome,

Only because you disagree with him, Tony. That, is the only reason.
DK has been DK since day one on this board, so why not just allow him to do what he does, and move on to the next issue.
The man and his opinions won't ruin your life....only make it more rich for your virtuous tolerance...........and your refusal to allow an uncomfortable opinion, even misplaced, is more of a political statement than David has ever conjured up.
This place is becoming too much like congress, and that shouldn't be happening.

Islandbuilder - 4-18-2013 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, he has a right to "express himself in his chosen way", but it is so inappropriate, so tiresome,

Only because you disagree with him, Tony. That, is the only reason.
DK has been DK since day one on this board, so why not just allow him to do what he does, and move on to the next issue.
The man and his opinions won't ruin your life....only make it more rich for your virtuous tolerance...........and your refusal to allow an uncomfortable opinion, even misplaced, is more of a political statement than David has ever conjured up.
This place is becoming too much like congress, and that shouldn't be happening.

Dennis, wow, come up with 11 more quotes like this and I think we have a calendar!!:yes:

David K - 4-18-2013 at 08:12 AM

Dennis, Ateo and dtbushpilot get it... the others, well... what ever you're smoking or drinking is working for your version of reality. My comment was on confiscating everyday items (as so started by DavidE's post on pressure cooker confiscation). I asked how long before they take away your baseball bat, using the same logic. I had added that I heard baseball bats kill more Americans than guns, but Willardguy disproved that, so I EDITED-OUT that and even said so in a follow up.

How the rest of you got 'American Way' and other stuff out of my post above is amazing. I have been reading leftest drivel here for years, so where's your tolerance for another point-of-view? You have succeeded in chasing off or scaring most others that share my love of constitutional rights. How is that being tolerant (a liberal ideology)?

'Fair, Care, Share' is really lacking sometimes. I still wish you all success and fun, and never would deny you the right to express your opinions, let alone wish death to anybody here. How sad is that?

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2013 at 08:18 AM

Careful there DK, don't get suckered back in.....or was that just another chicken for the sharks?:lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr - 4-18-2013 at 08:18 AM

Don't people realize that American politics have an effect on life in Mexico and all around the world? Personally, I like any type of enthusiastic banter, and I don't feel it is a crime to mention on the main board anything that is relevant to world news, including the Boston Marathon bombing. And I am sure that David's remark was made tongue in cheek...but this thread is a pretty interesting one.

But back to the pressure cookers, Dennis, have you owned up to faithfully using one to cook, and I hope you surrendered it at the Tecate border crossing like an honest American.

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

desertcpl - 4-18-2013 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
This is hilarious, DK makes a couple of typical DK remarks on the first page of this post and 2 pages later the "gang of five" is still taking shots at him. You guys have been had, DK threw a chicken in the water and the sharks are still fighting over it. Good for you for staying out of it DK, you're learning....:lol::lol::lol:

that is really funny answer, I like it :lol::lol::lol:

Ateo - 4-18-2013 at 08:30 AM

Can anyone cross today with a pressure cooker so we can put this thread to rest???? :tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:

watizname - 4-18-2013 at 08:31 AM

Quite a ways back, I used to wait for Thursdays when I would receive my Western Outdoor News, not only for the fish reports, but especially the articles by Fred Hoctor. I always enjoyed his special way of telling stories. I get the same feeling when I see anything with Osprey's name on it. I know its going to be good reading. Subject matter doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the story Osprey. :D

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2013 at 08:55 AM

I'll be crossing at Tecate on Saturday, maybe I'll bring my pressure cooker just to find out.

rts551 - 4-18-2013 at 09:00 AM

At the risk of being sent to secondary I asked yesterday at Tecate. The lady looked at me like I was crazy, Then smiled and said no and you are good to go.

Cypress - 4-18-2013 at 09:13 AM

Years back at a deer camp I was cooking saukraut, potatoes, and pork in a pressure cooker. While I was outside, a friend, not understanding how a pressure cooker works, opened the lid to see how the contents looked. The lid flew open spraying the contents into the ceiling. Luckily the blast was directed at an angle away from him. Kraut was imbedded into the ceiling. :O

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I'll be crossing at Tecate on Saturday, maybe I'll bring my pressure cooker just to find out.

I didn't even begin to believe this bar story in the first place. Just don't have the pot loaded with nails and all will be OK. :lol:

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
At the risk of being sent to secondary I asked yesterday at Tecate. The lady looked at me like I was crazy, Then smiled and said no and you are good to go.

That's a good one, Ralph. I'll bet she felt like handing you a CBP Dunce Cap to wear on your journey. :lol:

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 09:35 AM

Quote:

How the rest of you got 'American Way' and other stuff out of my post above is amazing.

That was my comment regarding your right to free speech, and the woes of censorship.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'll bet she felt like handing you a CBP Dunce Cap to wear on your journey. :lol:

Ahhhh Yesss....reminds me of a story.
I was brought up in Newport Beach, Ca. One of my neighbors was John Wayne who was all around town, driving here and there in this huge station wagon with a custom top, raised agout six or eight inches to accomodate his tall Stetson hat which he didn't take off because he was bald.
Image is everything.
OK.....that's the end of that story.

willardguy - 4-18-2013 at 10:05 AM

elaine: no no no, he's not bald....he's balding. so he's bald!.....yup :lol:

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
elaine: no no no, he's not bald....he's balding. so he's bald!.....yup :lol:

On board his converted Mine Sweeper, Wild Goose, which he kept at the dock in front of his house.
Nothing small about The Duke.

willardguy - 4-18-2013 at 10:44 AM

I've been known to dock in front of the wild goose for hours at a time ;D

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 10:47 AM

Boy, do I ever agree. But then I have had US Customs, before it came to be CBP ask some pretty dumb questions and they even sent a plastic 3-gallon sprayer to "the lab" for inspection. That was in 2002. I had to wait 2-hours for it to be returned. I was bringing it up from Michoacan to get a new seal kit for the pump.

I would not put anything past a CBP inspector. These guys are GOD when you are in their grip. Unchallengeable. Doubt it? Try arguing with one. The idiot that apparently seized a pressure cooker will never be questioned about it. In Tecate I once spent an hour in Secondary arguing over whether GLIBENCLAMIDA was "allowable". This is simply "GLYBURIDE" by a different name for diabetes. I brought a sheaf of print outs from the internet clearly showing the two names were for the same medication. It isn't a trademark name, its the generic formula name. They seized 200 tablets and there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it. A few months later I declared another purchase of 500 tablets and the inspector could have cared less. I was purchasing them at one-twentieth the cost of the same medication in the USA. Friends have b-tched that PARACETAMOL was questioned. Freakin tylenol by another name. My opinion is to be a successful CBP agent you don't need to be intelligent merely suspicious of everything.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
My opinion is to be a successful CBP agent you don't need to be intelligent merely suspicious of everything.

I agree. Vigilance is a good thing, but it's the meanness that alienates them from the public they serve and their training must lack a course in public relations.
It's too bad. I would think they would want, and benefit from public support. That's hard to get when they treat the public like the enemy.

EnsenadaDr - 4-18-2013 at 11:33 AM

How long from start to finish on your pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage recipe, Dennis?

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
How long from start to finish on your pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage recipe, Dennis?

One hour mas o menos...depending on size. That's just for the beef.

motoged - 4-18-2013 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not that old ;D

That just leaves, grumpy. :lol:

DT,
Yep....:saint:..... but you have spent a bit of time with me, so I hope that my other "attributes" may have displayed other more pleasant qualities.

My 'tude about all this isn't just regarding DK....he is just the mierda- magnet de jour....

So, Dennis and DT, I will absorb your wisdom and try my best to stop being sucked in.

:saint:

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 12:32 PM

Yeah you guys, it's US VERSUS "THEM"

Catch enough violations and you get to become SPECIAL agent. Then SENIOR SPECIAL AGENT.

Jackhammer out a super-secretly hidden load of narcotics and we'll transfer you off of night shift. Remember, if you don't fill your quota the reverse can apply!

Now get out there and get those BASTARDS!

rts551 - 4-18-2013 at 12:47 PM

I guess I am in the minority. Only had them take my dog food one time because it might have been made in China. I appreciate the work they do (albeit I wish it was more efficient sometimes). Keep up the good work Customs and BP. The alternative does not appeal to me.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I guess I am in the minority.
I appreciate the work they do (albeit I wish it was more efficient sometimes). Keep up the good work Customs and BP. The alternative does not appeal to me.

Don't get me wrong. I also appreciate what they do. I don't, however, appreciate their demeanor at times. That sucks.

Why do the front line personnel in Tecate differ so much from those at San Ysidro? Both places are doing one car at a time, so if they say it's stress, they need to get another job.
Don't need delicate inspectors in the trenches.

vgabndo - 4-18-2013 at 01:18 PM

Dennis, David most certainly has every right to his opinion. When he porks with the data, I'm going to call him on it. The falsehood he removed from his post is very common right wing manipulation of the data for their own purposes. (Getting Congress to vote against the vast majority of Americans who want background checks for all guns sales.)

It took me seconds to find the FBI data. David could have done the same thing. When he went looking, if he did his homework, he'd have seen the commonality of far right wing beliefs displayed in the sites which used his same skewed claim about gun deaths.

If truth matters, and it does to me, he tried to pull a fast one, got caught, and simply edited his post to make the lie go away, and I'm disinclined to let him get away with using his reputation to spout propaganda.

If all one sees is FOX, this sort of stuff is all one will know.

Informed Gun Control Advocates are 'somewhat' concerned about the 6220 people killed with hand guns during the 2011 reporting period cited below.:fire:

[Edited on 4-18-2013 by vgabndo]

politifact_photos_Gun_facebook_post.jpg - 16kB

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
David most certainly has every right to his opinion. When he porks with the data, I'm going to call him on it.

As well you should, Perry. I would say, that's your obligation, and your efforts are appreciated.

Quote:

The falsehood he removed from his post is very common right wing manipulation of the data for their own purposes.

David will be glad to know he's doing his part in the grand scheme of "Truth Management", but don't you think you're taking this orchestrated effort issue on his part a bit far and away from what pushes his buttons? I mean, I doubt he's joined a cabal with aims and goals of rewriting reality.
He just has his opinions and wants to state them.

Quote:

It took me seconds to find the FBI data. David could have done the same thing. When he went looking, if he did his homework, he'd have seen the commonality of far right wing beliefs displayed in the sites which used his same skewed claim about gun deaths.

So...he fires from the hip, which leads me to believe he's not subscribing to the readily available "commonality of far right wing beliefs." He may actually be thinking for himself and you should admire that quality, even in a conservative.

Quote:

If truth matters, and it does to me, he tried to pull a fast one, got caught, and simply edited his post to make the lie go away, and I'm disinclined to let him get away with using his reputation to spout propaganda.

He made a mistake. Partisan finger wagging won't change that........unless, of course, you have solid evidence to the contrary of his motives and methods.

Quote:

If all one sees is FOX, this sort of stuff is all one will know.

Believe what you will, Perry.........which, in turn, leads me to believe you are everything you openly or tacitly accuse David of being.....close minded..........manipulative.......self-righteous....authoritarian and brain washed.
I will defend with my life your right to be all of that, and more.

It's the American way, doncha know.

Yankee Doodle.

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2013 at 02:06 PM

Looks like vagabndo got the chicken..:lol:

toneart - 4-18-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I am not that old ;D

I was prematurely grumpy but now I have grown into it. I will have to get a cane and whack people in the shins who get in my way. :lol::lol:

Toneart You're A Nice Guy

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not that old ;D

I was prematurely grumpy but now I have grown into it. I will have to get a cane and whack people in the shins who get in my way. :lol::lol:

I use my cane like a pool cue and shoot for somewhere else.

bajaguy - 4-18-2013 at 02:23 PM

What "new" weapons laws would have prevented the pressure cooker bombs, the Aurora or Sandy Hook shootings???.....certainly not background checks or expanded background checks......the weapons used in those incidents were purchased legally, the people who committed Aurora and Sandy Hook were mentally ill.......

Once again we will jump to a "feel good solution" that will affect law abiding citizens and not a solution that will address the real problems of mental illness.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
What "new" weapons laws would have prevented the pressure cooker bombs, the Aurora or Sandy Hook shootings???.....

I haven't heard or seen a proposed law that doesnt address history alone and has nothing to do with the future.

Some lawmakers are desperate to find a solution, and can't. There isn't one, short of ammending the Constitution.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 02:38 PM

Quote:

address the real problems of mental illness.

Are they going to cure that before or after Cancer and the Cold?

Another thing........mental illness has become a by-product of war, so I guess we'll have to stop going to war and everything will be OK. [hey....maybe we're on to something here. No more war.....uh....um......never mind. That won't work]

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 02:47 PM

COME TO MEXICO......

Learn all about gun control

and

lead poisoning

bajaguy - 4-18-2013 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
COME TO MEXICO......

Learn all about gun control

and

lead poisoning

Works in New York City and Chicago also

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 02:56 PM

Just reread "Insurgent Mexico" and it mentions that Pancho Villa's idea for the future in Mexico, there would be no need for a military as everybody would be armed to protect the country from government or invasion from the outside.
Quite a guy, that Pancho. Not at all the country bumpkin some portray him as.

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 03:14 PM

Country Bumpkins don't normally lead an army of cutthroats. It wasn't Villa who was vicious. Zapata made Villa look like Mister Rogers.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Country Bumpkins don't normally lead an army of cutthroats. It wasn't Villa who was vicious. Zapata made Villa look like Mister Rogers.

Villa didn't need to be vicious. He had Fierro Blanco for that and he took it too extremes.

motoged - 4-18-2013 at 04:15 PM

Quote:

Tony,
If I could only remember to use a cane instead of my mouth for that I might be better off....it might help with the knees and hips as well.
:biggrin:

Dennis,
I guess I shoot from the lip :light:

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 04:33 PM

Quote:

Dennis,
I guess I shoot from the lip :light:

Not often so say ten Hail Marias and forgiveness is yours. :lol:

watizname - 4-18-2013 at 04:35 PM

Looks like we're gonna have to start registering canes too.

motoged - 4-18-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:

Not often so say ten Hail Marias and forgiveness is yours. :lol:

Dennis,
Thanks for the mitzvah :saint:

And as for registering the cane:

" I'll give you my cane when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" :biggrin:

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 04:54 PM

Here's some "Cane" you don't wanna mess with:

http://tinyurl.com/c3qqc6q

Mexitron - 4-18-2013 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Just reread "Insurgent Mexico" and it mentions that Pancho Villa's idea for the future in Mexico, there would be no need for a military as everybody would be armed to protect the country from government or invasion from the outside.
Quite a guy, that Pancho. Not at all the country bumpkin some portray him as.

Assuming every person in the country went to a year of military training then maybe it would work.

willardguy - 4-18-2013 at 05:05 PM

cane! you didn't see bear jew wielding a cane! louisville slugger, must be the bat davidk was referencing! :o

Mexitron - 4-18-2013 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
What "new" weapons laws would have prevented the pressure cooker bombs, the Aurora or Sandy Hook shootings???.....certainly not background checks or expanded background checks......the weapons used in those incidents were purchased legally, the people who committed Aurora and Sandy Hook were mentally ill.......

Once again we will jump to a "feel good solution" that will affect law abiding citizens and not a solution that will address the real problems of mental illness.

That's a political paradox---the conservative solution to gun control is to solve the mental illness problem...yet the last things conservatives want to do is have our taxes pay to hospitalize these folks (ie--Reagan dumped a lot of the mentally ill onto the streets when he was guvna of CA to reduce the size of government.

DavidE - 4-18-2013 at 05:14 PM

Maybe we need to get mean. Public executions with lotteries betting on the number of seconds a heart stays beating after the plunger gets pushed. Put it on TV even in the execution chamber and glue the perps eyelids open with the TV straight overhead.

Speaking of perps, the FBI released fotos of the person of interest. Sucker has a beak that'd split a stump if he fell over forward.

motoged - 4-18-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
cane! you didn't see bear jew wielding a cane! :o

Now this is getting really weird ...Willardguy, what are you trying to say?

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Speaking of perps, the FBI released fotos of the person of interest. Sucker has a beak that'd split a stump if he fell over forward.

I knew it. An Italian. :o

willardguy - 4-18-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
cane! you didn't see bear jew wielding a cane! :o

Now this is getting really weird ...Willardguy, what are you trying to say?
lol, missed inglorious basterds did ya?

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Assuming every person in the country went to a year of military training then maybe it would work.

It was a different time, 1910. Hardly anyone in Villa's army had training. Many didn't even have weapons.

DENNIS - 4-18-2013 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
lol, missed inglorious basterds did ya?

http://bigstickcombat.wordpress.com/page/35/?app-download=no...

Pages:  1