BajaNomad

MEXICAN 1000

comitan - 4-24-2013 at 12:35 PM

Does anyone klnow anything about this race?

http://www.norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_2013RallyMileageMAPrevised.p...

willardguy - 4-24-2013 at 01:00 PM

its a vintage fiesta!:tumble:

chuckie - 4-24-2013 at 01:34 PM

Its a hoot!!!! Lots of Vintage cars and trucks, driven by vintage drivers...Great chance to see some of the iron that made Baja Racing...I love it cuz, now and then I get to BS with guys I used to race against, back in the day..I will be at the 2nd day transit entry, south of Bahia concepcion..Look for the guy with the white 4WD van and the big grin with a cold Pacifico in his hand...I'll overnite there, as most entries will get there in the dark

MexicoTed - 4-24-2013 at 09:35 PM

Chuckie,

Do you know what time they will pull into Loreto? I would love to see them coming into town.

chuckie - 4-25-2013 at 01:38 AM

Hard to say, since the course is alil different than last year. But that leg starts in BOLA, so that makes it late afternoon or evening....best guess...I am gonna be on station about 3PM...

gnukid - 4-25-2013 at 06:46 AM

Really cool event!
http://www.norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_2013RallyMileageMAPrevised.p...

LaTijereta - 4-25-2013 at 10:31 AM

Racers will start arriving in Loreto on the Malacon around 3pm in front of the La Mision Hotel.. Party will be there all night.. Great time to see all the cars lined up...

satmike - 4-25-2013 at 05:09 PM

I'm stoked. I get to co drive, chase and help pit my boss's kid in his prerunner and a 1965 ranchero with a total modern chassis. I'm looking at a chance of a lifetime:bounce:

bajalinda - 4-25-2013 at 05:41 PM

How does this race compare to the Baja 1000? Just wondering what to expect since the map shows the course running close to our place and I don't remember this race coming by here in the past. I read "vintage" cars and that makes me think it might be a bit more "leisurely" than the Baja 1000 - but then I may be way off base with that idea!!

ncampion - 4-25-2013 at 06:37 PM

It's actually not a race, but a Rally. They stop each night and start again in the morning. It's still fun to watch and you get to see a wide variety of vehicles.

willardguy - 4-25-2013 at 06:52 PM

yup! no more a race than that DAKAR rally!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
hope everyone is following quinn over in the qatar sealine! :bounce:

LaTijereta - 4-25-2013 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satmike
I'm stoked. I get to co drive, chase and help pit my boss's kid in his prerunner and a 1965 ranchero with a total modern chassis. I'm looking at a chance of a lifetime:bounce:

Look forward to seeing the 65' Ranchero..
Is it anything like the Moser Bros Class 6 that ran in the 80's?
:cool:

satmike - 4-25-2013 at 07:29 PM

It's a tribute to Henry Arras and son racing. It has an acura v6, tube frame and all new suspension.

chuckie - 4-25-2013 at 07:41 PM

WHOA!

LaTijereta - 4-25-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satmike
It's a tribute to Henry Arras and son racing. It has an acura v6, tube frame and all new suspension.

Taken us back the 70's..
Here is Henry's Class 6 car from 1978 Mexicalli race..

TMW - 4-26-2013 at 09:08 AM

They race in the dirt and then transit at normal speed on highway sections, under a given amount of time, to the next dirt section to race it. Sunday Mexicali to LA Bay. Monday LA Bay to Loreto. Tuesday Loreto to La Paz. Wednesday La Paz to San Jose Del Cabo.

There are various classes. The original ideal was to race vehicles 20 or more years old as close to original as possible. The last couple of years they have added classes where more modern race vehicles can compete. This year they have a poker run group where a stock type vehicle, no roll cage etc. runs the course starting in the back. This group can not pass a race vehicle on course unless it is broken down. If they help a race vehicle like giving gas or fixing it to get back in the race they get an extra card. The best poker hand wins with part of the funds going to charity.

chuckie - 4-26-2013 at 09:43 AM

As far as"Not racing", when you put Walker Evans in a truck in the dirt, in Baja..its racing......

willyAirstream - 4-26-2013 at 11:21 AM

About 100 cars and trucks have entered so this should be fun!
Chuckie, see you at km 60. I`ll be in the willys , not the funco.

MexicoTed - 4-26-2013 at 02:10 PM

NORRA's Mexican 1000 is somewhat similar to La Carrera Panamerica (http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/) in Mexico. Almost all cars are vintage (I think pre-1967 for La Carrera), but they do allow a class of newer cars. They both have speed sections and then time-allowed transit stages. The biggest difference is there are no "dirt" sections in La Carrera.

La Carrera also has a class of serious racers, but they have other classes for "weekend" road rally enthusiasts too. It's a 2,000 mile race over 8 days from Veracruz to Zacatecas.

David K - 4-26-2013 at 05:21 PM

I was sorry to see the old SCORE Class 6 dropped (Production 2WD water cooled passenger cars and passenger pickups)... That was what I was a co-driver in, back in the 1979 Baja 1000... a Datsun 510 sedan. :cool:

bajalinda - 4-27-2013 at 08:33 AM

Thanks all - so it's a rally and not a race, but I guess it will still be noisy and dusty and we'll have a trashed road when it's all over.

rts551 - 4-27-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalinda
Thanks all - so it's a rally and not a race, but I guess it will still be noisy and dusty and we'll have a trashed road when it's all over.

They will be racing on the dirt roads...the rally part means they stop at night and transit paved roads at the speed limit.

Also, not all cars are classic. Starting a couple of years ago, many newer vehicles were allowed into the race. It has become very competitive.

chuckie - 4-27-2013 at 10:20 AM

I am confused on dates (not unusual for me) The start is today BUT the real start is tommorrow? The leg to Loreto is on Monday, right?
Baja Linda? (how come so many people are named Baja) Dust and dirt for sure, dunno about trashed roads....

willyAirstream - 4-27-2013 at 10:27 AM

Real start is Sunday, leg to Loreto is Monday. :-)

chuckie - 4-27-2013 at 10:32 AM

Gracias, there will be an extra Pacifico waiting for you at KM60...

bajalinda - 4-27-2013 at 10:45 AM

Believe me, since it appears that the rally has become very competitive as stated above, after about 100 cars and trucks have gone by....the road will be a mess.

chuckie - the baja names just go with the territory, I guess.

chuckie - 4-27-2013 at 03:46 PM

Yeah I know, lots of Baja's in this family tree..maybe if you offered free beer we could get a restoration crew to smooth your road?:?:

David K - 4-27-2013 at 06:19 PM

Just to compare dirt road damage by cars driving fast, and maybe to change a mind or two on Baja racing:

Hurricanes and flash floods do a whole lot more damage, and instead of 'flooding' money to the people of Baja, the flash floods take away money from the people of Baja.

:light:

MexicoTed - 4-29-2013 at 07:33 PM

Hate to post this, but was in Loreto this afternoon as the motorcyles and trucks starting arriving (i'll try to post a photo) when someone told me they had a casualty outside Loreto. All I know is it was confirmed to be true by another driver and it was a motorcycle.

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by MexicoTed]

willardguy - 4-29-2013 at 07:40 PM

this in, but must be unrelated.

'Grand Marshal' of the race, Mark McMillin, was in hospital in San Diego!>>> Mark quoted this morning as saying, "No problem, I might still make the Post Party!"

Luke McMillin reports on his dad's incident & injuries, "The McMillin Macadu car is still moving after a couple hours of downtime today after an accident. Just to clear up the rumors, my dad, Mark, driving made a left hand turn when a pre runner race car missed the turn, drove over the side of the car, the pre runner tire went over the cars rear tire, over the side pod of the car, through Macadu's window net hit my dad in the shoulder and broke his collar bone. He's very soar but very luckily the broken collar bone is the worst of the damage. Mark is back in SD and he is OK, I just took him to the hospital, he's back at home tonight and will go back this week for surgery..... The pre runner that hit him, did not stop to see if they were ok..." "He will be ok, his collar bone needs some serious work in surgery but we're thankful that was all that happened, could have been a lot worse. Macadu is fixed and the crew is planning on finishing the race for my dad." "No need to call them out, my dad knows the other driver very well and im sure they'll be talking soon. There's no way that driver knew he actually made contact with the driver with his tire and continued on, but still it's the "Happiest race on earth" not the Baja 1000 and even then he ran over a little car.... Only intent of the 'talk' was to clear any rumors going up and down the peninsula and tell everyone that he is OK."

willyAirstream - 4-29-2013 at 08:02 PM

About 7k before the Loreto ck. Point at km60 on the highway, a buggy ran over a moto driver and it was fatal. Another buggy driven by a doctor stopped to assist. The same doctor stopped at least one other time to help. I `m not releasing names or vehicle numbers. A sad day for the racers and families involved.

On a brighter note, I`ll post pics tomorrow of some of the cars, from the Bel Ray Bullet, called the bullet cuz it only goes straight, according to Bud, to a 57 Chevy, a stock Beatle, a Ford Galaxy and several long travel, Northstar powered boogies.

chuckie - 4-29-2013 at 08:39 PM

I was there as well, a very sad hour...I'll wait and let the official news come down..A tragic end to a great day..

bajadogs - 4-29-2013 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just to compare dirt road damage by cars driving fast, and maybe to change a mind or two on Baja racing:

Hurricanes and flash floods do a whole lot more damage, and instead of 'flooding' money to the people of Baja, the flash floods take away money from the people of Baja.

:light:

Great point David! We should cancel the floods and hurricanes.

EDIT - Very sorry to hear about the tragedy.:no:

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by bajadogs]

willardguy - 4-30-2013 at 11:03 AM

jimmy stocker from idaho. very sad.

bajadogs - 4-30-2013 at 11:34 AM

His info from ADVRIDER Forums:

Motorcycles owned currently
990 Adventure, Honda CRF 450X

Motorcycles owned past
XR650R, CR480, XR250R, Yamaha 175 enduro, Yamaha 125 enduro, 07 Vstrom 650, Z50 Honda, TTR 230

Dream bike
I gots em',990 Adventure and a CRF450X

Best ride ever taken
Tour of Idaho

Dream ride
I'd like to ride to Baja sur and retire.

Other interests
Family, tinkering on whatever

Occupation
Head Awesome guy at Awesome inc.

Signature
"It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast, than to go into a corner fast and come out dead."
Stirling Moss

:no::(

willyAirstream - 4-30-2013 at 04:00 PM

Here are some pics. More on my blog.

the famous SS1 Bel Ray Bullet

nomad Chuckie

voted the Best Legs in Chase Crews

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by willyAirstream]

chuckie - 4-30-2013 at 04:11 PM

No pics...Por favor!:no:

chuckie - 4-30-2013 at 04:49 PM

Si! No mas problema...Great lookin guy by the old school VW!!

rts551 - 5-1-2013 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
jimmy stocker from idaho. very sad.

Jimmie Stocker is shown as completing Stage 3 in 40th place.
http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2013-norra-mexican-1000-day-...

rts551 - 5-1-2013 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I was there as well, a very sad hour...I'll wait and let the official news come down..A tragic end to a great day..

Are you sure you were there?

chuckie - 5-1-2013 at 08:26 AM

Musta been ,my picture is posted above...Why do you ask?

rts551 - 5-1-2013 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Musta been ,my picture is posted above...Why do you ask?

How could I miss it, but you reported as being at an race accident where a moto rider was killed. Only accident report was a pre runner running over a buggy. Driver sent to the states with a broken collar bone. No deaths reported.

chuckie - 5-1-2013 at 08:54 AM

That was McMillan, who was transported..The death has not been publicized as yet...Were you there? Or just on the internet?

rts551 - 5-1-2013 at 09:03 AM

San Ignacio

rts551 - 5-1-2013 at 02:25 PM

Some news starting to come out. I can see why its being kept quiet. SAD.

http://colectivopericu.net/2013/04/30/murio-cerca-de-loreto-...

[Edited on 5-1-2013 by rts551]

chuckie - 5-1-2013 at 03:52 PM

Seems to report pretty much what happened. Bike was hit by race truck...I imagine lots of paperwork involved....

satmike - 5-4-2013 at 08:17 AM

The bike was hit by a rock crawler. very sad day

satmike - 5-4-2013 at 08:26 AM

What an adventure. I got to ride in the ranchero all day on day 3 ,Loreto to La Paz. Car finished 1st in class and 9 th overall. An adventure of a lifetime for me

David K - 5-4-2013 at 09:08 AM

Congrats on your ride Mike! It is a blast!

satmike - 5-5-2013 at 06:37 AM

Jimmy Stoker got brushed by the rock crawler, went down and landed on a rock broke his femur and cut his femoral artery and bled out internally. One of the first cars to come upon him was a doctor. He died within a few minutes and was very much at peace.