Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: MEXICAN 1000
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 12:35 PM
MEXICAN 1000

Does anyone klnow anything about this race?

http://www.norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_2013RallyMileageMAPrevised.p...

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 01:00 PM

its a vintage fiesta!:tumble:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 01:34 PM

Its a hoot!!!! Lots of Vintage cars and trucks, driven by vintage drivers...Great chance to see some of the iron that made Baja Racing...I love it cuz, now and then I get to BS with guys I used to race against, back in the day..I will be at the 2nd day transit entry, south of Bahia concepcion..Look for the guy with the white 4WD van and the big grin with a cold Pacifico in his hand...I'll overnite there, as most entries will get there in the dark

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2013 at 09:35 PM

Chuckie,

Do you know what time they will pull into Loreto? I would love to see them coming into town.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 01:38 AM

Hard to say, since the course is alil different than last year. But that leg starts in BOLA, so that makes it late afternoon or evening....best guess...I am gonna be on station about 3PM...

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 06:46 AM

Really cool event!
http://www.norra.com/PDFs/NORRA_2013RallyMileageMAPrevised.p...
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 10:31 AM

Racers will start arriving in Loreto on the Malacon around 3pm in front of the La Mision Hotel.. Party will be there all night.. Great time to see all the cars lined up...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 05:09 PM

I'm stoked. I get to co drive, chase and help pit my boss's kid in his prerunner and a 1965 ranchero with a total modern chassis. I'm looking at a chance of a lifetime:bounce:
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 05:41 PM

How does this race compare to the Baja 1000? Just wondering what to expect since the map shows the course running close to our place and I don't remember this race coming by here in the past. I read "vintage" cars and that makes me think it might be a bit more "leisurely" than the Baja 1000 - but then I may be way off base with that idea!!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 06:37 PM

It's actually not a race, but a Rally. They stop each night and start again in the morning. It's still fun to watch and you get to see a wide variety of vehicles.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 06:52 PM

yup! no more a race than that DAKAR rally!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
hope everyone is following quinn over in the qatar sealine! :bounce:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satmike
I'm stoked. I get to co drive, chase and help pit my boss's kid in his prerunner and a 1965 ranchero with a total modern chassis. I'm looking at a chance of a lifetime:bounce:

Look forward to seeing the 65' Ranchero..
Is it anything like the Moser Bros Class 6 that ran in the 80's?
:cool:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
satmike
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 07:29 PM

It's a tribute to Henry Arras and son racing. It has an acura v6, tube frame and all new suspension.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 07:41 PM

WHOA!

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by satmike
It's a tribute to Henry Arras and son racing. It has an acura v6, tube frame and all new suspension.

Taken us back the 70's..
Here is Henry's Class 6 car from 1978 Mexicalli race..

Ben Franklin (1759)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 09:08 AM

They race in the dirt and then transit at normal speed on highway sections, under a given amount of time, to the next dirt section to race it. Sunday Mexicali to LA Bay. Monday LA Bay to Loreto. Tuesday Loreto to La Paz. Wednesday La Paz to San Jose Del Cabo.

There are various classes. The original ideal was to race vehicles 20 or more years old as close to original as possible. The last couple of years they have added classes where more modern race vehicles can compete. This year they have a poker run group where a stock type vehicle, no roll cage etc. runs the course starting in the back. This group can not pass a race vehicle on course unless it is broken down. If they help a race vehicle like giving gas or fixing it to get back in the race they get an extra card. The best poker hand wins with part of the funds going to charity.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 09:43 AM

As far as"Not racing", when you put Walker Evans in a truck in the dirt, in Baja..its racing......

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 11:21 AM

About 100 cars and trucks have entered so this should be fun!
Chuckie, see you at km 60. I`ll be in the willys , not the funco.

MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 02:10 PM

NORRA's Mexican 1000 is somewhat similar to La Carrera Panamerica (http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/) in Mexico. Almost all cars are vintage (I think pre-1967 for La Carrera), but they do allow a class of newer cars. They both have speed sections and then time-allowed transit stages. The biggest difference is there are no "dirt" sections in La Carrera.

La Carrera also has a class of serious racers, but they have other classes for "weekend" road rally enthusiasts too. It's a 2,000 mile race over 8 days from Veracruz to Zacatecas.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2013 at 05:21 PM

I was sorry to see the old SCORE Class 6 dropped (Production 2WD water cooled passenger cars and passenger pickups)... That was what I was a co-driver in, back in the 1979 Baja 1000... a Datsun 510 sedan. :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.