BajaNomad

Bajamar?

yellow281 - 5-2-2013 at 02:15 PM

We don't appear to be able to get past this broadband issue in CSL and as its a deal breaker for us, we're looking North. We have friends that have a place in Bajamar that they use on a seasonal basis. I wondered if anyone else had thoughts on the area, internet speeds, safety, life in general there etc?

Thanks!

DENNIS - 5-2-2013 at 02:35 PM

Bajamar is a classy development with good security. They also have two [or is it three?] golf courses.
It's not too far from the La Mision area...La Fonda...Poco Cielo and other cool places.
As far as landline phones, I don't know for sure, but that should be easy enough to research.

Their site shows a couple of San Diego area codes, but give them a call:

http://www.bajamar.com/

yellow281 - 5-2-2013 at 02:36 PM

I appreciate your quick response Dennis - thank you!

DENNIS - 5-2-2013 at 02:43 PM

Glad I could help.
Another thing.....It's close to the famed Wine Country from the back road which, from La Mision, comes out in San Antonio de Las Minas and puts you on the road to Guadalupe Valley.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Boom!

Dave - 5-2-2013 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Bajamar is a classy development with good security. They also have two [or is it three?] golf courses.

And conveniently located next to the Sempra LNG regasification plant.

yellow281 - 5-2-2013 at 03:13 PM

I have no idea what that means =)

DaliDali - 5-2-2013 at 03:14 PM

Telmex is the main carrier of "banda ancha" (broadband) here in Baja. Perhaps all of Mexico.

I have the 5 Mbps package and I can't imagine anyone needing more than that unless your going to operate a multi-PC operation with high demands.

I can keep open multiple internet pages, Yahoo chat and video and play tiddlywinks, all at the same time without a glitch.
And all this with being 90 miles from the nearest banda ancha output.
And to top this off, I rarely have any connection problems....it is "always on"

Los Cabos surely has Telmex and the banda ancha packages.
Assuming that speed and reliability are your concerns.

If 5 Mbps is not enough.....they do offer a step up to 10 Mbps at additional costs.

http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/internet/banda-ancha.html

[Edited on 5-2-2013 by DaliDali]

DENNIS - 5-2-2013 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

And conveniently located next to the Sempra LNG regasification plant.

It inspires people to come to terms with their own mortality. :biggrin:

chuckie - 5-2-2013 at 03:57 PM

Yeah, the Broadand issue is a non issue here in Mulege..I have Telmex, and more BW than I could ever use..Same thing always on, seldom down..Cant imagine .....

bajaguy - 5-2-2013 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow281
We don't appear to be able to get past this broadband issue in CSL and as its a deal breaker for us, we're looking North. We have friends that have a place in Bajamar that they use on a seasonal basis. I wondered if anyone else had thoughts on the area, internet speeds, safety, life in general there etc?

Thanks!

Are you looking to buy, rent or lease?????.....do you play golf???

Bajamar is ok, however you are between Rosarito and Ensenada and will probably have to drive 25/30 minutes on the toll road each direction and return to do any shopping, go to the movies or medical care.....that gets old (and expensive) after a while.

Udo - 5-2-2013 at 05:04 PM

Would you send some of your leftovers to Bahia Asunción?

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Yeah, the Broadand issue is a non issue here in Mulege..I have Telmex, and more BW than I could ever use..Same thing always on, seldom down..Cant imagine .....

DanO - 5-2-2013 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what that means =)

Sempra's LNG (liquified natural gas) plant right around the corner from Bajamar, where the stuff is stored in huge tanks. Sempra's CEO allegedly built himself a nice little cottage out there. It comes with $60,000 in mattresses personally selected by him, so he must be getting some serious R&R when he's down there.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/13/ex-exec-says-semp...

Anyway, it's not that the location of the LNG plant should be any consideration. Lots of folks live in San Clemente, just up the road from the San Onofre nuclear power plant, which is totally safe.

:tumble:

[Edited on 5-3-2013 by DanO]

willardguy - 5-2-2013 at 05:29 PM

bet you'll prefer bajamar come july/august! :light:

chuckie - 5-2-2013 at 05:33 PM

UDO? Sent you some BW today, via Correo..Plain brown wrapper...:lol:

yellow281 - 5-2-2013 at 05:52 PM

Yes, I need a minimum of 10mbps download and upload (more importantly) of 256kbps minimum. We have a US based business that requires multi line VOIP phones and video conferencing and broadband has to be speedy. It actually amazed me that Cabo's broadband is so poor. Northern Baja has much better speeds it seems. I would have LOVED CSL but saying goodbye to my monthly income is not an option =)

[Edited on 5-3-2013 by yellow281]

Check Out Bajamar by Staying at the Hotel

Gypsy Jan - 5-2-2013 at 07:00 PM

I haven't heard anything recent, but in the past, there were several complaints about extremely bright lights at night at the Sempra plant, open ducts conducting gas to Tijuana posing an explosion danger and there was a dangerous fire there about five years ago that was barely contained. The Ensenada fire department did not have the equipment or manpower to handle this situation and Sempra was blamed for not maintaining adequate safety response services on its property.

Sempra has been involved in multi-million dollar lawsuits for the last several years that point at greedy, short term executive management who took the money and hopped out on the golden parachute.

That being said, Telnor is the land line service provider to Bajamar and they have English speaking customer assistance that can inform you about internet services available.

http://www.telnor.com/hogar

Dave - 5-3-2013 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I haven't heard anything recent, but in the past, there were several complaints about extremely bright lights at night at the Sempra plant, open ducts conducting gas to Tijuana posing an explosion danger and there was a dangerous fire there about five years ago that was barely contained. The Ensenada fire department did not have the equipment or manpower to handle this situation and Sempra was blamed for not maintaining adequate safety response services on its property.

Sempra has been involved in multi-million dollar lawsuits for the last several years that point at greedy, short term executive management who took the money and hopped out on the golden parachute.

Apart from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

To Quote the Late, Great Roger Ebert

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2013 at 01:14 PM

"I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining..."

:P

[Edited on 5-3-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

yellow281 - 5-3-2013 at 01:31 PM

I would LOVE to have a conversation with TelMex but I cannot reach them from Canada. I have tried every which way to get a local number for TelMex or one I can dial from here. If anyone has one, please let me have it. Or if you know how to call TelMex from outside of Mexico.. again, please, please!

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
I would have LOVED CSL but saying goodbye to my monthly income is not an option =)
If as you mentioned somewhere else, price is not a problem, I would be amazed if you can't get what you want in CSL-- that's a major focal point for Telmex infrastructure. You may have to go beyond/around the standard Prodigy consumer packages, though. If you haven't had an in-depth conversation with the service reps at Telmex, I bet they'd be more than happy to take your money for a satisfactory product. :biggrin:

Contact TelMex USA

Gypsy Jan - 5-3-2013 at 01:36 PM

Hope that this link helps you out:

http://www.telmexusa.com/us/carrier_ds.html

DENNIS - 5-3-2013 at 01:37 PM

How about TELMEX USA...........

http://www.telmexusa.com/us/
-------------------------------------------------

Main Offices

Telmex USA, L.L.C.

3350 SW 148th Avenue
Suite 400
Miramar, FL 33027

Phone: 1-954-517-7300 | 1-800-290-1649
Fax: 1-954-517-7305

General Inquiry: customerservice@telmexusa.net

yellow281 - 5-3-2013 at 02:38 PM

Thank you! Thank you!

chuckie - 5-3-2013 at 04:01 PM

Given a choice,that close to the border, I'd rather live in San Diego....

EnsenadaDr - 5-4-2013 at 04:07 AM

What is CSL?
Quote:

Thanks!

EnsenadaDr - 5-4-2013 at 04:11 AM

In my opinion, the center of Ensenada is the best for everything you could want. San Diego is great, but that incorporates a $1500 price tag for a decent two bedroom apartment. Punta Banda is a 40 minute drive from the center, and after 8 pm, everyone is asleep.

I love the proximity of being close to town and being able to walk the wharf and get fresh seafood whenever you want. Bajamar is a jaunt from any direction, but I must say the houses that have the golf course out their backdoors have a view that rivals the Hawaiian Islands.

EnsenadaDr - 5-4-2013 at 04:11 AM

In my opinion, the center of Ensenada is the best for everything you could want. San Diego is great, but that incorporates a $1500 price tag for a decent two bedroom apartment. Punta Banda is a 40 minute drive from the center, and after 8 pm, everyone is asleep.

I love the proximity of being close to town and being able to walk the wharf and get fresh seafood whenever you want. Bajamar is a jaunt from any direction, but I must say the houses that have the golf course out their backdoors have a view that rivals the Hawaiian Islands.

DENNIS - 5-4-2013 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
What is CSL

Cabo San Ludicrous..............in the words of someone here a few years back.

bajaguy - 5-4-2013 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
In my opinion.........Punta Banda is a 40 minute drive from the center, and after 8 pm, everyone is asleep.........

You know what they say about opinions..........Some people do not want to be in "the center of Ensenada", and apparently you don't know the right people, as there are many who stay up after 8PM.

chuckie - 5-4-2013 at 08:44 AM

And the monthly rental in BajaMar is??....I had a good friend that owned one of those...I remember it as being pretty spendy....With

yellow281 - 5-4-2013 at 10:54 AM

Well moving from Vancouver... lets just say anything in Baja feels cheap =)

DENNIS - 5-4-2013 at 11:03 AM

Bajamar isn't known as a rental community.........more as an affluent community.

colamex4 - 5-5-2013 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Bajamar isn't known as a rental community.........more as an affluent community.

There are a fair number of rentals there, mostly furnished. I rented there for 2 years, around $1000/month. There are some cheaper but most are more expensive.

DENNIS - 5-5-2013 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by colamex4
Quote:

There are a fair number of rentals there, mostly furnished. I rented there for 2 years, around $1000/month. There are some cheaper but most are more expensive.

OK...It's an affluent rental community. :biggrin:

willardguy - 5-5-2013 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

and how did you like it? ive never driven into it but it sure looks nice from the highway!:yes:

Just from personal experience...

EnsenadaDr - 5-5-2013 at 04:00 PM

Apparently not, the people I know don't drink after 9 pm, the ones that do are probably the ones you are talking about...
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
In my opinion.........Punta Banda is a 40 minute drive from the center, and after 8 pm, everyone is asleep.........

You know what they say about opinions..........Some people do not want to be in "the center of Ensenada", and apparently you don't know the right people, as there are many who stay up after 8PM.

DENNIS - 5-5-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Apparently not, the people I know don't drink after 9 pm, the ones that do are probably the ones you are talking about

:lol::lol::lol:
OK Terry......your turn.

chuckie - 5-5-2013 at 04:43 PM

Still sounds like San Diego....

willardguy - 5-5-2013 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Still sounds like San Diego....
sounds like a huge compliment to me!:spingrin:

chuckie - 5-5-2013 at 04:58 PM

Hey, been here over 30 years...Stuff like HS internet being a "deal breaker" and "I wont go unless there is air conditioning" aint Baja to me... (Old School)

greengoes - 5-5-2013 at 05:03 PM

I saw the pieces being delivered for a fifth tank at Sempra. How much would that increase the blast radius?

willardguy - 5-5-2013 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Hey, been here over 30 years...Stuff like HS internet being a "deal breaker" and "I wont go unless there is air conditioning" aint Baja to me... (Old School)
and we all applaud your heartiness! don't think we don't! :lol:

yellow281 - 5-5-2013 at 05:11 PM

I get it.. it sounds a little weird but I belong to that emerging, funky band of people who can live and work from anywhere... providing there is a high speed internet to the tune of at least 10mbps download and 756kbps upload.

Come on... you cannot tell me that if you could have picked up your day job and took it to Mexico or elsewhere you wouldn't have?

Quick question on the border crossing at TJ before heading to Bajamar.. And I apologize if this is a completely obvious question, I swear I am not being lazy and wandering here to ask =)

The card.. 6 months (little confused as this changed of late).. when I drive over, I pull into somewhere else to pick up the card or its issued right at the crossing? I'm enroute to the Marriott to meet my better half who flies into TJ from CSL the day before and then head to Bajamar.

Thank you folks - you have been hugely helpful. I really hope I have communicated that!

DENNIS - 5-5-2013 at 05:22 PM

You won't need an FMN, tourist card if you're in the free zone for a week or less. Even if you are, no one will ask. [now....I'm not suggesting you play fast and loose with our moral obligation to be an upstanding guest. Nope....not me]

yellow281 - 5-5-2013 at 05:49 PM

Yeah.. I need the 6 months really.. well I guess I don't.. I will be leaving every 2-3 weeks to fly back to LA. I'd like to do it by the book. Immigration is not something I like to mess with =)

So I guess I need a 2-3 week pass. Does Sentri make sense?

DENNIS - 5-5-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
So I guess I need a 2-3 week pass. Does Sentri make sense?

That'll be the six month model. Good for multiple entry.
Are you flying from San Diego or Tijuana?

Sentri? Of course.

yellow281 - 5-6-2013 at 08:07 AM

Driving to Bajamar from San Diego initially and then I will be either driving back and forth to LA or flying from CSL if we decide to go further South.

EnsenadaDr - 5-6-2013 at 08:43 AM

Why don't you try Bobby's by the Sea? He's got some gorgeous condos with a good Italian restaurant on the premises, and very close to Rosarito without the congestion and traffic..Bajamar is very expensive and it is deserted at times..
Quote:
Driving to Bajamar from San Diego initially and then I will be either driving back and forth to LA or flying from CSL if we decide to go further South.

yellow281 - 5-6-2013 at 10:01 AM

Thank you for the suggestion - definitely a cute location but the units are too small unfortunately. We need a 3-4 bedroom place.

EnsenadaDr - 5-6-2013 at 10:25 AM

you know I did also notice a newer community directly south of Puerto Nuevo with some beautiful big stucco houses. Have you also tried Playas de Tijuana? They have built a spectacular big condo and they have some beautiful homes there. I mean if you are going to commute so frequently it only makes sense to be closer to the border. And yes definitely get Sentri.

Gated Communities/Condos for Rent with HS Access

Gypsy Jan - 5-6-2013 at 04:39 PM

From north to south

Rosarito Beach Hotel Condos (high rise)

Rene's Campo (houses)

Popotla (converted trailers to permanent housing)

Las Gaviotas, long established gated community, some million dollar homes, some not so much. Well regarded and well maintained.

I am skipping the high rise condos of Las Olas, Calafia and Club Marena, but you might want to look into that.

Las Rosas (houses)

The two Reynoso campos north of Cantamar (houses).

Cantamar (houses)

Plaza del Mar (condos and houses)

Adjacent to La Fonda to the north, there is a big housing development the name of which I forget, but it is easy to see from the freeway.

Just south of La Fonda there is an entire neighborhood of beachfront homes where the free road turns up to La Mision.

La Mison - this valley community has many homes and ranchos.

Twenty minutes or so south of La Fonda is Punta Piedras, a newish gated community with many showplace homes.

All of these place are a good twenty miles or more approximately north of Bajamar and a lot closer to the gas stations and shopping (the last Pemex before Ensenada is at Punta Piedras).

Just look for a Baja Real Estate company on a search engine (I don't like/use Google, so it is not a verb for me.). If you send an email asking about Baja rentals you will receive so many responses that you will feel like Martha Stewart posting on match.com.

colamex4 - 5-6-2013 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

and how did you like it? ive never driven into it but it sure looks nice from the highway!:yes:

I enjoyed it well enough. It is usually pretty quiet, which I like. You can walk for hours along the golf course paths and near the ocean. It's main drawback is that it is 30 minutes to either Ensenada or Rosarito, but if you don't mind the drive, it can work for you. It has quite a number of furnished houses with more than 2 bedrooms.

chuckie - 5-6-2013 at 07:53 PM

OMIGOD! 30 minutes drive! Deal breaker...Where is the nearest Starbucks?

yellow281 - 5-6-2013 at 07:59 PM

Guys! You all rock! Thank you =)

Such great advice! I am a little concerned about the quiet of Bajamar.. we're not that old (NOT that there is anything wrong with the silver or gold years!). So CSL (we're also big foodies) calls out loudly. That being said, we have a new business that has taken off like a rocket and it requires a lot of eyes on the ground (boots on the ground when it comes to the web). So we don't go out that much. However, we love to cook and throw dinner parties. If we are neighbourless.. sad!

Foodies

bajaguy - 5-6-2013 at 08:15 PM

You need to settle in Ensenada....always a food (and wine) event going on!!!....... And we would welcome a new source of dinners and parties :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 5-6-2013 at 08:31 PM

so you are ruling out Playas? Not classy enough? Certainly NOT quiet...and close to the Border and 10 minutes from Rosarito or TJ.....
Quote:
Guys! You all rock! Thank you =)

Such great advice! I am a little concerned about the quiet of Bajamar.. we're not that old (NOT that there is anything wrong with the silver or gold years!). So CSL (we're also big foodies) calls out loudly. That being said, we have a new business that has taken off like a rocket and it requires a lot of eyes on the ground (boots on the ground when it comes to the web). So we don't go out that much. However, we love to cook and throw dinner parties. If we are neighbourless.. sad!

yellow281 - 5-7-2013 at 11:04 AM

Yes - I don't want to be that close to TJ. However, I am not that familiar with Playas so no doubt we'll take a look but no.. its definitely not on our list at the moment.

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Yes - I don't want to be that close to TJ. However, I am not that familiar with Playas so no doubt we'll take a look but no.. its definitely not on our list at the moment.

KEVLAR is one of the local fashion statements. :cool:

yellow281 - 5-7-2013 at 11:36 AM

:yes:

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 11:45 AM

Dennis that is not entirely true, just like it isn't entirely true for Rosarito and South of the Border in general. My son went to a very good school Colegio Reina Isabel in Real del Mar, which is just south of Playas (incidentally they have some very beautiful houses there, yellow 281, and killer ocean views)....it was a top line private school and many of his friends lived in Playas..

[Edited on 5-7-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
many of his friends lived in Playas..

We won't ask of your use of the past tense.....or is that passed tense? :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 11:54 AM

Dennis,
I went to these homes. Most of the families I encountered from his school had professional working fathers and mothers in the home, that worked in higher echelon positions in administrative positions downtown Tijuana. Not everyone is a drug carter member...say, didn't you say you could see the drug dropoff points from your house in Punta Banda?
Quote:
Quote:
many of his friends lived in Playas..

We won't ask of your use of the past tense.....or is that passed tense? :lol:

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
didn't you say you could see the drug dropoff points from your house in Punta Banda?

The whole world is a drug drop-off point.

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 01:57 PM

That's my point. You are talking bullet proof vests in Mexico, in Playas..yellow can go down any carretera and see bullet proof vests...but I know you like to throw things in for entertainment purposes, BTW, when are you cooking the smoked pork???

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
BTW, when are you cooking the smoked pork???

As soon as this pesky paralysis goes away. Some things, like operating the Smoker, require two hands.

Playas de Tijuana

Gypsy Jan - 5-7-2013 at 07:16 PM

Not going to take any sides about the quality of life there, but we have long time friends who also own the land where the failed Trump property was supposed to be built.

They own/owned several beachfront and just one street back of the beachfront properties.

In the last four years, their houses and vehicles (cars and RV's) have been broken into numerous times. Jewelery, TV's, computers, electronic gadgets, appliances and etc. have all been stolen.

No physical assaults, just burglary.

Our friends have dogs, alarms and a good relationship with the TJ police department which is supposed to look after their home when they are not in residence.

Just sayin.

[Edited on 5-8-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 07:26 PM

Rosarito isn't much better. Lots of break-ins, in Rosarito proper. The Trump property was built right on top of a sewage runoff...and it is very isolated from patrol and police services. Look what happened to Ron Hoff, in beautiful country down in San Quintin...
Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Not going to take any sides about the quality of life there, but we have long time friends who also own the land where the failed Trump property was supposed to be built.

They own/owned several beachfront and just one street back of the beachfront properties.

In the last four years, their houses and vehicles (cars and RV's) have been broken into numerous times. Jewelery, TV's, computers, electronic gadgets, appliances and etc. have all been stolen.

No physical assaults, just burglary.

Our friends have dogs, alarms and a good relationship with the TJ police department which is supposed to look after their home when they are not in residence.

Just sayin.

[Edited on 5-8-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

yellow281 - 5-7-2013 at 07:27 PM

Yes - I admit its not for me. I want to enjoy Baja - I don't want to be wondering about that stuff.

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 07:30 PM

You unfortunately are going to have to be concerned about crime. It all comes with a country that has very few high paying legal jobs. Like I just mentioned, a man was down in a very nice area, very rural, and he and his wife were left for dead. Mexico is a beautiful country...but it doesn't come without risk, and if you don't wonder, you might just be unprepared at the wrong time. There is no area crime free, just like in any other country, but more so in Mexico.

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
You unfortunately are going to have to be concerned about crime. It all comes with a country that has very few high paying legal jobs. Like I just mentioned, a man was down in a very nice area, very rural, and he and his wife were left for dead. Mexico is a beautiful country...but it doesn't come without risk, and if you don't wonder, you might just be unprepared at the wrong time. There is no area crime free, just like in any other country, but more so in Mexico.

OK...you're gonna have to turn in your Image Committee hat and de-coder ring.

yellow281 - 5-7-2013 at 08:01 PM

True but there are areas that are worse than others. I have lived in Jamaica, I've lived in Italy.. these are far from crime free countries to live in so I am not green but you can definitely pick your spots. I suspect no where in the world is crime free anymore =)

yellow281 - 5-7-2013 at 08:04 PM

And right there... very rural.. middle of no where.. sitting ducks. No.. that is not for me. The suburbs of TJ are not for us too. You need to be smart and savvy and recognize you could be a target, no matter how nice your neighbours are. Everyone has an agenda so you don't put temptation out there imo.