BajaNomad

CFE RAISING RATES

comitan - 5-3-2013 at 07:07 PM

Mexico City. May electricity prices will be 8.4% higher than in April. The Federal Electricity Commision (CFE) explained, the residential sector that uses the most energy will be charged the High Domestic Consumption rate (DAC) at $3 pesos per kilowatt/hour (Kw/h). The industrial sector rate is at $0.9959 pesos and $1.7090 during peak hours. In April the kilowatt was more affordable at $0.9188 and $1.6356 pesos respectively.

The methodology that was first used in 2011 incited that in the electricity price agreement for the next 12 months the Ministry of Finance (SHCP) allowed this increase in high and medium voltage and high consumption user CFE rates.

According to CFE, regular residential rates remain the same and only around 500,000 high consumption and commercial meters will be affected by the changes. In the country there are 36.7 million clients, of which 88% are residential, 9.93% commercial, and 2.07% agricultural and industrial users, these latter being the highest energy consuming group.

CFE explained that the spike in charges is due to the decrease of natural gas used for generating electricity caused by lack of crude oil in Pemex pipelines for which fuel oil was used during the past 18 months. In 2011 fuel oil was priced at $9.74 pesos the liter, in 2012 $8.75 pesos and in 2013 $8.78 pesos. Prices are expected to remain high.

CFE assured that once the natural gas supply to power plants normalizes and fuel oil use is reduced the price of electricity will be reflected in it.

DENNIS - 5-3-2013 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
CFE assured that once the natural gas supply to power plants normalizes and fuel oil use is reduced the price of electricity will be reflected in it.

:lol: Mexicans don't believe anything their government says and I doubt this BS will be any different.

BajaBlanca - 5-4-2013 at 06:31 AM

Well, supposedly Mexico wants to lower the poverty and get rid of hunger. This certainly ain't gonna help. Thanks for sharing, Wiley.

durrelllrobert - 5-4-2013 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Mexico City. May electricity prices will be 8.4% higher than in April. The Federal Electricity Commision (CFE) explained, the residential sector that uses the most energy will be charged the High Domestic Consumption rate (DAC) at $3 pesos per kilowatt/hour (Kw/h). The industrial sector rate is at $0.9959 pesos and $1.7090 during peak hours. In April the kilowatt was more affordable at $0.9188 and $1.6356 pesos respectively.

??? My DAC rate has been 3.07/ kWh for more than 6 months. I guess I'm special and will get to pay 3.28 starting this month.

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by durrelllrobert]

DavidE - 5-4-2013 at 09:19 AM

Ever since the gosh darnned PRI took office, Aduana, INM, SCE, and Petroleos Mexicanos have been having a field day.

It started with PRI de La Madrid, got worse under Salinas de Gotari, and now kissy huggy boy el presidente has turned them loose once again.

LAUGH ON...

One of the folks that I am familiar with in Michoacan is a Delagado Federal de Aduana. He told me in the beginning of April that there is serious discussions underway in Mexico City to change to status of most of the Baja California peninsula.

1. IVA rate hike 11% to 16%

2. Bonded car permits south of? (perhaps Maneadero) just like the mainland

3. FRONTERA cars to be nationalized in steps. Extra fees.

4. Permanent (FM-3) residents cannot drive cars with extraneous plates

I hope to god this does not happen. But what has happened to immigration and car permits on the mainland "couldn't happen" either, according to self described experts on Mexico pundits. The laughed, guffawed, came up with 999 reasons why the very thought of what has happened "could not possibly happen! They can't do it! Don't be stupid!"

Apparently from what Ismael believes, a border zone would still exist, but beyond that, 180-day car permits, holograms, and made in Mexico national cars for citizens and permanent residents. Only FMM 180-day car permit autos allowed otherwise.

AGAIN, to make this clear, at this point all of the above is in the planning stages in ADUANA.

Now let's hear the guffaws, the ridicule, and mockery. Be sure to sign your name clearly to fun and games...

DENNIS - 5-4-2013 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
My understanding is that moderate energy users are heavily subsidized and the DAC (High Consumption Domestic) tariff applies to those domestic users who consume beyond certain KWH limits, which careful energy management can avoid exceeding. Are a lot of folks here being affected by this?

If your average usage exceeds 500 KWH for three successive periods...six months......you lose the subsidy until usage falls below that point.

500 kwh isn't a lot, but I do manage to stay in the subsidy zone.

comitan - 5-4-2013 at 02:20 PM

I don't think that most of us residential users will be affected, We are domestico 1D - 700 to 1300KWH per 2 months our usage and hasn't changed in years.

CortezBlue - 5-5-2013 at 06:49 AM

[quote

4. Permanent (FM-3) residents cannot drive cars with extraneous plates

quote]

I keep seeing this statement on the forum and have to laugh.

1. FM3? No such thing any more. I think the new term would be Permanent and I don't know about where eveyone else lives, but here in San Felipe, There are more autos that have California plates, driven by Mexican's that don't even worry about registering their autos. Also, even if you are driving an auto from AZ or California, whenever I have been pulled over, I hand them my drivers license and I have never been asked if I am a Mexican Resident or even if I have a FM2 or FM3.

I would be more concerned about being required to forgo my US drivers license and get a Mexican only DL

DENNIS - 5-5-2013 at 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
There are more autos that have California plates, driven by Mexican's that don't even worry about registering their autos.

The term for these vehicles is "Chocolates."

I've just noticed that ANAPROMEX is back in business.

[Edited on 5-5-2013 by DENNIS]

DavidE - 5-7-2013 at 09:22 AM

Cortez Blue,

PERMANENTES driving extraneous cars in GUADALAJARA / CHAPALA area, ALL ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED of them "didn't believe it either". Neither did over six hundred vehicle owners in San Miguel de Allende.

Talked to CFE yesterday. Mexico City. Unless you are habitually in DAC residential customers will not be affected neither will small business owners to around 8K kWh bi-mestral. Only the big boys.

The PRI can screw with people who have no recourse (gringos) but they damned well know the average Mexican ain't rich and they can sure as hell vote PAN or PRD in he next sexenio.

durrelllrobert - 5-7-2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
The PRI can screw with people who have no recourse (gringos)
Gee, I've always had the feeling gringos were accorded a lot of slack. Can a green-carded Mexican in the U.S., continue to drive a car with Mexican plates (I have no idea)?

Not if they use a US address

greengoes - 5-7-2013 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

The term for these vehicles is "Chocolates."

Hey Dennis, good to see you are doing well.

Part of my assimilation was getting my Licencia de Conducir Mexicano and using a 'chocolate' as a beater. License plates seem to be optional in the Free Zone and car insurance is assigned to the driver, not the car. If I run over three locals I just pull out my Seguros Atlas card and ask them to speak to the abogado.

My March/April bill from La Comision showed no rate change to the gringo level of consumption.

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes

Hey Dennis, good to see you are doing well.

Gracias. Life is my new hobby. :biggrin:

chuckie - 5-7-2013 at 11:57 AM

One of the guys that worked on our ranch now and then, had Sonora plates on his almost brandy new ford..He had a US drivers licence and address...

Baja DL

bajaguy - 5-7-2013 at 12:04 PM

Getting a Baja (Norte) drivers license was a fun experience. Written test (in english), eye test, blood type, driving test. License issued on the spot........WAY better than DMV experiences in the states

DavidE - 5-7-2013 at 01:57 PM

On the mainland, if you are caught driving a Mexican car with US driver license: 1,100 pesos official multa.

In the USA, if a Mexican driver receives a citation for ANYTHING and does not satisfy the court, he and or the car is prohibited entry into the United States at all POE.

In Bajas Californias, it is the law, by both states to allow a foreign placard vehicle be driven ONLY IN COMPLIANCE WITH INM LAW. Illegal immigration status, car is illegal. TAGS on foreign plates MUST BE KEPT CURRENT or car is legally eligible to be cited by a transito including the PFP.

In California, it is the officer's DISCRETION to adjudicate whether or not a motor vehicle and or driver has lost the status of visitor or temporary visit. He can cite the driver for not being properly licensed, as well as the car for not being properly registered in the USA in that state.

It is illegal ANYWHERE to operate a motor vehicle with a conflicting driver license.

The foregoing is not guesswork.

Riom - 5-8-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:

It is illegal ANYWHERE to operate a motor vehicle with a conflicting driver license.

The foregoing is not guesswork.

But it's not accurate. It's legal almost everywhere to drive a rental car on a foreign license. Some small countries do require even renters to get a temporary local license, but these are exceptions, and most places won't allow visitors to get a local license.

Arizona, and many other states, allow non-residents (from another state or country) to drive a locally-registered car on their foreign (or out of state) licenses, for a limited time (which can be up to 7 months every year, so a snowbird can drive their AZ car on their WA or Yukon license every year).

The mis-match of license and car registration is perfectly legal during that time. Progressive Insurance (and a few others) will even insure a US vehicle where the owner has a non-US license.

Anyway, to get back to the CFE rates. As it only applies to the DAC rates, it won't affect many residential users. The DAC consumption limits varies by area, 2500 kWh/mo (12 month average) in San Felipe so you'd really have to have excessive consumption to qualify.

Rob

domestico 1D ?

durrelllrobert - 5-8-2013 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
I don't think that most of us residential users will be affected, We are domestico 1D - 700 to 1300KWH per 2 months our usage and hasn't changed in years.

.. and 700 - 1300 Kwh? must be something unique to La Paz. Like DENNIS said once we exceed 500Kwh for 6 billing cycles we are on the DAC at 3.07 peso / Kwh up here in Baja Norte. What is the billing rate for domestic 1D?

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by durrelllrobert]

durrelllrobert - 5-8-2013 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
One of the guys that worked on our ranch now and then, had Sonora plates on his almost brandy new ford..He had a US drivers licence and address...

...but if he got stopped by the CHP? Goodbye almost brandy new ford. Would be OK if he also had MX DL but not with US DL and address.

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by durrelllrobert]

bajaguy - 5-8-2013 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
In Bajas Californias, it is the law, by both states to allow a foreign placard vehicle be driven ONLY IN COMPLIANCE WITH INM LAW. Illegal immigration status, car is illegal. TAGS on foreign plates MUST BE KEPT CURRENT or car is legally eligible to be cited by a transito including the PFP.

Well, the transito and the PFP, along with the federal police must be asleep......there are about a zillion cars in Baja with expired US plates, not to mention those without ANY plates, and nobody is doing anything about them.

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by bajaguy]

DavidE - 5-9-2013 at 02:04 PM

They are being LENIENT.

Try driving a car around Ensenada or La Paz for while or San Lucas for that matter.

I figure being aware of the LAW as well as being aware of the ambiance is in my best interests.

But don't take my word for it, stop and ask a transito federal, La Patrulla. It's a law in both states. The only exception is you could drive a car with expired plates if offset by a current and legal 180-day mainland car permit. A La Paz transito nailed me and he was smirking all the way to la comandancia. Until the teniente told him he was absolutely in the wrong and forced the cop to apologize to me.

Ensenada

bajaguy - 5-11-2013 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
They are being LENIENT.

Try driving a car around Ensenada or La Paz for while or San Lucas for that matter.

David, I AM talking about Ensenada. Ther police here turn a blind eye to expired US plated cars driven by Mexican nationals.......countless times have seen police following cars with expired US plates or no plates and no action taken. Apparently not high enough on their priority list.

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 04:57 PM

To RIOM, It's illegal to shoot ducks from a moving streetcar in Miami Florida as well.

In Mexico there are two realities: People seem to get them confused an awful lot especially gringos.

One is OFFICIAL LAW. It's always best to know what OFFICIAL LAW IS, so a person can have a firm leg to stand on.

ENFORCED LAW. There's nothing like pi$$ing a cop off by yelling at him there is no such law when there is. Such denials are usually accompanied by accusations of corruption, moral turpitude, genetics, ancestry, and IQ. Sometimes even perceived or imagined physical attributes.

RENTAL Cars with RED LICENSE PLATES are amenable to being driven by folks with ANY valid driver license.

It's nice to know Ensenada is not enforcing the expired tags law now. They were when I was stopped for a MISSING tag in 2005. It took a freakin' war of words to convince the transito that the DMV PAPER I showed him was dated 2005 good until 2006. IQ did enter the picture then.

I had already posted here about my LEGAL CURRENT DISABLED LICENSE PLATES being removed in La Paz a year or so ago, for parking in a BLUE ZONE. The rear view mirror had fallen off from the heat and the BLUE PLACARD was sitting on the dash. ALONG WITH THE PAPER DMV PERMIT.
"We only recognize the blue placard"
Even though Mexico has no permits, no plates and no placards.

Yes they were apologetic and remained as stupid as a brick about the validity of license plates with the blue wheelchair on them.

DENNIS - 5-11-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:

They have them here.
I have to say, the handicapped parking places are treated with a large amount of respect by the driving public although there's still a lot of ignorance, as well as some arrogance involved as well.

In Maneadero, many of the indigenous drivers just don't begin to comprehend the idea.

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

They have them here.
I have to say, the handicapped parking places are treated with a large amount of respect by the driving public although there's still a lot of ignorance, as well as some arrogance involved as well.

In Maneadero, many of the indigenous drivers just don't begin to comprehend the idea.

When I was running cross country in my big truck nothing Pi--ed me more than pulling into a roadside park to take a nap and the only vacant parking spot was for the Sick Lame and Lazy

Udo - 5-12-2013 at 10:21 AM

Are the last few posts considered a "hijack" from the original CFE post?

DENNIS - 5-12-2013 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Are the last few posts considered a "hijack" from the original CFE post?

Nah........This is a hijack: :lol:

[Edited on 5-12-2013 by DENNIS]

Udo - 5-12-2013 at 05:42 PM

Great photo, Dennis!

DavidE - 5-13-2013 at 10:45 AM

When I was running cross country in my big truck nothing Pi--ed me more than pulling into a roadside park to take a nap and the only vacant parking spot was for the Sick Lame and Lazy

Got something against disabled people? Not that ones that hang a reg tag on the mirror slip down out of a four feet off the ground pickup, then dash into the facilities. But the ones who genuinely cannot walk a half mile to use the facilities?

J.P. - 5-13-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:

Got something against disabled people? Not that ones that hang a reg tag on the mirror slip down out of a four feet off the ground pickup, then dash into the facilities. But the ones who genuinely cannot walk a half mile to use the facilities?

NO I have nothing against the legitimate Handicap. In 1991 I was declared 69% handicapped.IT was enough to disallow me to continue what I was doing for a living. The disability was pretty good But not enough to support my family as I though I should. So I found something else to do. The Doctors have ben pimping the handicapped card to me ever since.
You and I know plenty of people that would jump on the chance to get one. I don't need nor would I accept one. I just think it's unreasonable to let someone who is truly handicapped drive a 80 thousand pound 18 wheel truck.

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by J.P.]

DavidE - 5-13-2013 at 12:32 PM

Uh Oh, you mean there are EIGHTEEN WHEELER parking spaces with blue signs? If so, I mis-wrote and owe you an apology. Obviously I meant single car spaces you had have happened to notice. Pass the gosh darnned salsa for this CROW I am eating...

J.P. - 5-13-2013 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Uh Oh, you mean there are EIGHTEEN WHEELER parking spaces with blue signs? If so, I mis-wrote and owe you an apology. Obviously I meant single car spaces you had have happened to notice. Pass the gosh darnned salsa for this CROW I am eating... [/quote

That is ok. before I was disabled I was a Union Ironworker I was able to get my pension as long as I did something else for a living. So I bought a 18 wheel truck and ran coast to coast. They have Handicapped parking spots foe 18 wheel trucks in road side parks.

chuckie - 5-13-2013 at 12:50 PM

I asked a Federal policeman about expired US plates today..He said essentially that as long as you have the correct insurance and ownership papers, the expired plate problem is between you and your home state. He also said you may be stopped in some parts of Mexico and fined because the locals want the revenue..See? that pins it right down...:wow:

DENNIS - 5-13-2013 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Great photo, Dennis!

It's Woodys. I just ripped it off, but thanks.

DavidE - 5-13-2013 at 02:46 PM

Comitan, the bill I just received did not have an excedente amount because I kept bimestral kWh below 170

But the basico and intermediate rates were the same as was the 11% IVA

It pays to be ABSOLUTELY sure your casa does not have any electrical "leaks" which can take the form of innumerable ways for hot to see neutral and then to bleed to a concrete or tile floor. One stupid electrical hot water heater can bleed 20 to ? watts directly to ground and at the 20 watt level...

29 kWh bimestral.

And that's JUST for one device!

Now add up a 10 watt leak in a microwave, a 15 watt leak in a metal lamp pole standing on concrete or tile, and then....

Electrical receptacles (plug-ins) especially outdoor can leak 100 watts and only your CFE bill can see it.

I went from +400 kWh down to 137, using EXACTLY the same apparatus and lifestyle by eliminating leakage.

durrelllrobert - 5-13-2013 at 03:32 PM

"I went from +400 kWh down to 137, using EXACTLY the same apparatus and lifestyle by eliminating leakage."

Please explain how you did that? If your electric is shut off AT THE METER wouldn't you still see some movement on the meter if you have leakage? I can't get below 600 kWh even though both of my neighbors bills are always WAY below 35 and they have the same basic appliances, pila pump etc., .

DavidE - 5-13-2013 at 04:17 PM

I have a stupid new style digital meter Bob. I can not see wheels move. A good quality digital clamp on test meter can resolve AC down to .1 ampere which is around 12 watts.

Another way of testing is to go to HARBOR FREIGHT and get one of their inductive "Presence Of AC Voltage" tester. Wave it in front of your appliances. If it sounds off you have leakage. Or worse yet, hot and neutral are reversed somewhere.

Some old refrigerator motors leak and there is little you can do about it other than replacing it or the refrigerator. A lot of leakage is caused by a combination of salty dust and humidity. Self explanatory as to how to go about dealing with that. Electrical receptacles (plug-in) leak on the reverse side, the one you cannot see. Light switches can leak across the terminals. A huge suspect is the exterior apparati. The connections the meter plugs into. The circuit breaker box.

Home made test but you have GOT TO BE CAREFUL doing it. Use dry rubber gloves and rubber sole shoes.

Grab a junk table lamp and use a REGULAR light bulb. Chop off the plug. Split the twin wires about a foot long. Bare an inch of conductor in each wire.

Turn off everything in the house. Stay warm gizmos like TV's Radios and computers must be unplugged. DO NOT UNPLUG the refrigerator or lamps but make sure they are "OFF" not running.

At the circuit breaker box, turn off the breaker. Remove it from the clip but leave the wire connected. Twist, clip, or hold one wire onto where the breaker clips into the box. IT"S LIVE! USE GLOVES!

Then switch on the breaker and touch the OTHER bared lead of the test lamp to the breaker terminals EITHER SIDE. The refrigerator may come on or the hot water heater may come on while you are doing this, so it can get a little frustrating running back and forth to verify they are supposed to be playing possum. A second person would be handy and you may need to temporarily reconnect the breaker to allow the heater and or refrigerator to run up then stop on their own.

But if that light LIGHTS UP, when everything is supposed to be dead, then there is a bleed somewhere.

Have the second person start unplugging stuff and leave them unplugged one after another until you find the problem.

If this all ends up at a dead-end, and the light does not light but CFE continues to send an armored car around to collect for the bill it's time to invest in a KILL-A-WATT meter, GOOGLE it. Find out which appliance is playing the part of the proverbial red headed brother in law. You need to know which appliance is robbing you.

Don't forget, satellite TV robs power 24/7.

Good luck. CFE has more money than I do.

Udo - 5-13-2013 at 04:28 PM

MY plan, for when we move to BA, is to plug is a KILL-A-WATT outlet. It will let me know how much electricity is used by what.
In my RV, I change ALL the interior bulbs to LED and my electrical usage dropped by about 60%.
I plan on doing the same in BA. So far, however, LED and fluorescent bulbs appear to use about the same amount of juice. LED somewhat less, but not worth the investment for a changeover.
Renters, on the other hand, don't really care what they use...it's the landlord's responsibility.

DavidE - 5-13-2013 at 04:42 PM

Udo there are meters that CLAMP on to the main hot wire and send a wireless signal to a kWh meter. Connect the hot and neutral pigtails and you can use the monitor wherever you wish within I believe 150 feet for voltage, frequency, amps, and accumulated kWh. A tiny power blip wipes out all stored kWh data on the Kill-A-Watt.

Tip. The receptacle on a Kill-A-Watt is garbage. I use an adapter pigtail rather than wreck the meter.