BajaNomad

Anyone notice?

KaceyJ - 5-11-2013 at 07:42 AM

Just curious,

Seems like a large number of properties available at Posada Conception?

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 08:56 AM

I have never seen such numbers of dispirited Mexicanos in Mulege as I did the last trip. Would this have any effect on local gringo property owners? I don't know.

rts551 - 5-11-2013 at 09:36 AM

Dispirited locals? Any idea why? The economy there has been poor for a while.

J.P. - 5-11-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I have never seen such numbers of dispirited Mexicanos in Mulege as I did the last trip. Would this have any effect on local gringo property owners? I don't know.

We were there a couple years ago and experienced that same feeling. the whole town felt beat down. We didn't stay long.

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 11:50 AM

It takes a LOT to sap the joy out of Mexican Spirit. Those floods just knocked the pedo out of the life of that little town. Understandable and terribly sad.

vgabndo - 5-11-2013 at 11:57 AM

This old pedo is empathetic with the people of Mulege. When I got slapped out of San Nicolas, I had another place to go. I could leave and lick my wounds, it must be very hard, even with the amazing Mexican spirit, to stand back up in the same place and try again.

Bless them all.

chuckie - 5-11-2013 at 12:03 PM

Posada? I kinda noticed that too...dont know what is 'normal" but lotsa places for sale......Businesses are hurting here in Mulege and everyone feels the pinch, but I hadnt noticed disspirited people so much....And another hurricane season on the way....

Bob and Susan - 5-11-2013 at 12:12 PM

posada sales...it's normal here...
there's always a turn over of "old people" in rental areas
normal is about 1/3 for sale

remember EVERYTHING is for sale
and EVERYONE is getting older

tourism is down...that's correct
but Mexican building is UP

Very few dispirited people
I think this is a gringo perception NOT a reality

hurricane season is still months away...
the "real" tourists (Italians) have yet to arrive

by then "the gringos" will all be gone

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Bob and Susan]

roundtuit - 5-11-2013 at 01:16 PM

Actually in Posada Concepcion places for sale is about 13% of the houses
Bob is right, construction is on the rise and I still see smiles on the people in town

vgabndo - 5-11-2013 at 01:31 PM

I think I'm offended that I'm not a "real" tourist. I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00. No, you didn't see me, and I'm not Italian, but you have to realize that my three grand would last about 17 days at your place and the price of one night's accommodation will buy enough diesel to let me drive 400 miles looking for a better rate. Flying from Europe, and paying top dollar for a room is big bucks. Is that what makes a "real" tourist?

I trust your judgment about the mental state of your neighbors, and second the impression that Mulege "feels" different these days.

24baja - 5-11-2013 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I think I'm offended that I'm not a "real" tourist. I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00. No, you didn't see me, and I'm not Italian, but you have to realize that my three grand would last about 17 days at your place and the price of one night's accommodation will buy enough diesel to let me drive 400 miles looking for a better rate. Flying from Europe, and paying top dollar for a room is big bucks. Is that what makes a "real" tourist?

I trust your judgment about the mental state of your neighbors, and second the impression that Mulege "feels" different these days.

I think I agree with your assessment we spend alot when we go to Mexico we just choose to have a house and not have to stay in motels or "SPAS".Connie

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 01:47 PM

When I operated my hotel I let it be public knowledge the wages (saldos) of my workers, as well as the number of workers. Number 1 rule, period: Not price the hotel outside of the range of Mexicanos to afford a room.

I seldom speak Ingles in Mulege so I have no idea whatsoever the opinions of extraneous.

Hook - 5-11-2013 at 02:05 PM

Isnt Posada leased land? I dont know.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that leased land is going to be very undesirable, if the fidecomiso is done away with. I would think there might be increased incentive for Mexicans to sell off land they had formerly been leasing, IF we assume that there will be an increase in demand for buying land. And the removal of the fide should make foreigners more comfortable in owning.

If it passes, I dont think I'd want to have much invested in improvements on leased land where the lease is short-term............like year to year. The temptation could be very great for the leasors to terminate the lease and try selling off the individual lots.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Hook]

Cypress - 5-11-2013 at 03:23 PM

Buying a piece of Posada or anywhere else in Mexico? Go for it! :lol:

Bob and Susan - 5-11-2013 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00.

I think I agree with your assessment we spend alot when we go to Mexico we just choose to have a house and not have toent stay in motels or "SPAS".Connie

well connie...if you own a house you are not a "tourist"
you are a resident and should have a resident visa...
you should be paying homeowner taxes also...
I would call you a "snowbird"

and vagabond...you live in mt Shasta ca...
that's a long drive...
I really wonder how much was spent
on gas alone to travel Baja

I agree we are expensive...but I can't afford to stay at the "Watergate" in washington dc either or I won't

some people don't like to camp for 40 days...
they don't live that way at home and
they don't work all year to spend their vacation
"in the rough"

i'm sorry if I offended you but it is what it is

DavidE - 5-11-2013 at 03:29 PM

Wise advice hook.
Leases are hassles. If the land issue gets passed I believe that it is going to come at a very very stiff price (Impuestos de Tamities Anual). Mexico is buying hundreds of millions of dollars of computers, database programs and training people how to use them.

TERRORISTA ARABE: Bearded barefoot person with AK47 and Explosive Vest

TERRORISTA IRANI: Bearded robed man with Rocket Launcher and grenades

TERRORISTA MEXICANO: Guy in a business suit lugging an SHCP briefcase.

durrelllrobert - 5-11-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
This old pedo is empathetic with the people of Mulege. When I got slapped out of San Nicolas, I had another place to go. I could leave and lick my wounds, it must be very hard, even with the amazing Mexican spirit, to stand back up in the same place and try again.

Bless them all.

Same thing happens in flood, hurricane, tornado, mudslide and fire areas in the US. After "losing everything" people continue to rebuild in the same place year after year. I'm sorry, I just don't understand it.

Udo - 5-11-2013 at 04:51 PM

I was in Mulege and surrounding area last February.

I had noticed the lack of English speaking gringos (Canadians included).
I asked four times in four different area restaurants:

What happened to all the GRINGOS???

All 4 restaurants said the same thing...The last hurricane/flooding was literally the straw that broke the camel's back.

Actually...the last hurricane was the one that no one that lived in the "orchard" spoke up and said that they would be back and rebuild, (If you did not notice this time on Nomads).
We have been hearing for the last ten years that: "...we will rebuild, and the orchard was such a beautiful place to live.
I still think it is a gorgeous place to live, but it has it's limitations and one needs to prepare for the worst.

woody with a view - 5-11-2013 at 06:18 PM

personally, i can't wait to see all the EYE-talians if they are there in Oct. We have 12 days to spend in Baja and 4 will be with Bob and Susan who graciously offered accomadations + cash for my Ranger.

The best part is I get to lose sleep over plannnig if we beeline straight to Mulege and backtrack thru Abreojos, Bocana and Asuncion for surf and tuna? Or do we hit up some of the central points on the way down?

It's good to have options!:biggrin:

Pescador - 5-12-2013 at 07:27 AM

Gee, Bob and Susan, I would doubt that even if you lowered your prices that you would be getting a lot of business from David E or Vagabundo. But I would bet that you have not spent lots of sleepless nights over that anyway. The people I have talked to that stayed with you guys were ecstatic and thought it was a great deal.

durrelllrobert - 5-12-2013 at 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Isnt Posada leased land? I dont know.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that leased land is going to be very undesirable, if the fidecomiso is done away with. I would think there might be increased incentive for Mexicans to sell off land they had formerly been leasing, IF we assume that there will be an increase in demand for buying land. And the removal of the fide should make foreigners more comfortable in owning.

If it passes, I dont think I'd want to have much invested in improvements on leased land where the lease is short-term............like year to year. The temptation could be very great for the leasors to terminate the lease and try selling off the individual lots.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Hook]

posada [po-sah'-dah]
noun
1. Home, dwelling-house. (f)

2. Longing or lodging house (hospedaje). (f)Posada con asistencia -> board and lodging, inn, tavern, hotel

3. Pocket-case, containing a knife, spoon, and fork. (f)

4. Typical party held at Christmas. (Ante Meridian & Central America & Mexico) (m)

article & past participle
1. Past participle of POSAR.

2. Lodged, rested, lined, reclined, landed (avión).

Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved.

posada

1(hospedaje) shelter; lodging
dar posada a algn to give shelter to sb; take sb in

2(lugar) (para comer) inn; (para dormir) boarding house

3(morada) house; dwelling

4(Centroamérica) (México) (fiesta) Christmas party

Collins Complete Spanish Electronic Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers 2011

chuckie - 5-12-2013 at 07:57 AM

Oooooooooook?

24baja - 5-12-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
I just spent 40 days in Mexico and spend $3000.00.

I think I agree with your assessment we spend alot when we go to Mexico we just choose to have a house and not have toent stay in motels or "SPAS".Connie

well connie...if you own a house you are not a "tourist"
you are a resident and should have a resident visa...
you should be paying homeowner taxes also...
I would call you a "snowbird"

and vagabond...you live in mt Shasta ca...
that's a long drive...
I really wonder how much was spent
on gas alone to travel Baja

I agree we are expensive...but I can't afford to stay at the "Watergate" in washington dc either or I won't

some people don't like to camp for 40 days...
they don't live that way at home and
they don't work all year to spend their vacation
"in the rough"

i'm sorry if I offended you but it is what it is

We may own a house here, but we are still working so we are not snowbirds or residents. We only get to come down 2 to 3 time a year for 10 to 14 days so we consider ourselves "tourists". And as soon as we are here for longer periods we will get the proper papers, but for now we use a tourist visa.

DENNIS - 5-12-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved.

The Velazquez is the authoritative source in the pantheon of dictionaries, but perhaps a bit cumbersome in size and content for simple needs. I had a hardcover edition that, after buying my first computer, attempted to give away and had to hire the services of a forklift to get it out of my house.
Anyone trying to improve a beginners knowledge of Spanish is only confusing his efforts with its use.
Stay simple, my friend.

tiotomasbcs - 5-12-2013 at 09:39 AM

Surprising, to me, are the numbers of Boleo workers who visit the beautiful beaches of Bahia and spend their money in town. Mostly during the summer, verdad? And don't forget the Mexicanos from Northern Baja that visit during Easter Festivities. Hotels fill up as well! The vendors seemed happy as usual. Life goes on. :) Tio

Bruce R Leech - 5-13-2013 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Gee, Bob and Susan, I would doubt that even if you lowered your prices that you would be getting a lot of business from David E or Vagabundo. But I would bet that you have not spent lots of sleepless nights over that anyway. The people I have talked to that stayed with you guys were ecstatic and thought it was a great deal.

agree, I have never known anyone to complain after staying at Bob & Susan's, only praise.

Sorry, but what's a.....

neilm81301 - 5-13-2013 at 12:31 PM

"Boleo worker"

Is that like a 'bollilo'.. uh, like me? <G>

Neil

OK, I found out

neilm81301 - 5-13-2013 at 12:35 PM

A kind of miner, right? The ones I knew (in the states) were hard working, hard drinking guys... give you the shirt off their back, but don't cross'em!

I imagine the Mexican miners would be similar.

Neil

vgabndo - 5-13-2013 at 03:06 PM

It was about the definition of a "real" tourist. I got the impression that Bob had intimated that only Italians were real tourists, and because I knew he ran a comparatively very expensive accommodation I made the connection that perhaps "real" tourists spent a lot of money. I asked if that was the point.

I'm sure Bob's place is very nice. I've seen many pictures. It doesn't matter that even if I could afford it, I wouldn't likely stay there because it just isn't my style. I spent at least 4000 nights in rented accommodation in one of my careers and I've sort of seen 'em all.

My question was about what qualifies one to be a "real tourist" if I wasn't one.

Someone mentioned fuel costs. Roughly 3616 miles. 287 Gallons. $960.00 USD US price avg. 4.27 Mex avg. Price 3.33
That is only 12.5 mpg with the Cummins pushing 11,000 lbs. with the auto trans. :(

durrelllrobert - 5-13-2013 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
A kind of miner, right? The ones I knew (in the states) were hard working, hard drinking guys... give you the shirt off their back, but don't cross'em!

I imagine the Mexican miners would be similar.

Neil

I grew up in Butte, MT before the went to the open pit mine and all those mostly Irish tunnel miners so I know what you mean by "don't cross them". The lots of "hard drinking" part led to a lot of violent fights and killings.

Russ - 5-13-2013 at 03:39 PM

Lots of places also for sale here in Punta Chivato. We're getting old. And although not cheap compared to elsewhere there are some bargains. Now that the title questions are ramped that may really put the skids on sales until they figure out the wording to add it to the Constitution.

gallesram - 5-13-2013 at 03:42 PM

We only visit Mulege in the summer (May-October); never in the winter. I love the warm water in the ocean, lack of crowds, deserted beaches and warm evenings filled with stars. There is nothing like standing in the warm calm Bay of Concepcion at night and staring at the sky; I couldn't do that at the beach in Southern California without freezing to death.

I just got back from a trip a few weeks ago and actually noticed how great the town looked; even the bar across from Scotty's is open again with a pool table. People seemed happy to me; I didn't sense a negative energy. We Americans show our emotions more than others and I have found that Mexicans tend to be more reserved which can be interpreted as "down". Any chance I get to go to Mulege I eagerly take!

Udo - 5-13-2013 at 03:45 PM

A BOLEO worker are the people who work at the mines in the Santa Rosalia area.
Some are local, others are bussed in daily.

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
"Boleo worker"

Is that like a 'bollilo'.. uh, like me? <G>

Neil

805gregg - 5-13-2013 at 06:55 PM

Property is down everwhere in Baja, I was in El Sargente when prices where high, a lot with power was 260K, now you can buy a lot with a house for 160K, still not the bottom, rent for now and wait for the final price drop

SwissFrank - 5-14-2013 at 08:31 AM

Quote:

After reading this, I get the impression that Bob has a financial dog in the hunt for perception.

DavidE - 5-14-2013 at 11:11 AM

A lot of perception issues caused by language and cultural differences. If you run up and ask a gringolandia business owner "¿Que Tal? you can expect a much different answer than an answer given by the other 99% of residents who do not operate gringo oriented businesses and speak not a word of English. More than one resident quipped "One more huracán and this town will be finished off".

A Mexicano can break an arm and if you ask him ¿Oye, como estas Chucho? he will inevitably answer "muy bien gracias a dios y tu?".

My point: I try to be extra generous with tips when I visit.

The young lady who helps me with housework just called and asked for a loan to pay for la luz. The lack of commercial fishing (fish) has caused a crisis deep enough to have caused alarm with normally stoic local business owners. There just are not enough full time retirees here, and visitors are few. When fish disappear, so do paychecks.

Tourism is the key. Spending money so LOCALS can get their hands on it is the other side of the key.

When I was working I paid a couple of young men for a couple of minitruck loads of mesquite for the beach. You would have thought they had won the lottery.

Any other ideas on how to spend money so the less fortunate can have a chance to earn it?