BajaNomad

Input Please: Looking at a Baja Bayrunner 20' with 40hp motor

Mula - 5-14-2013 at 04:15 PM

The good, bad, the ugly, please.

Considering buying one for Sea of Cortez - June, July and August.
Mag Bay for Sept., Oct and Nov. - not outside the bay.

Thanks for your time and considerations.

bajaguy - 5-14-2013 at 04:45 PM

Ask 24baja, he has a similar one:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67111

DENNIS - 5-14-2013 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Ask 24baja, he has a similar one:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67111

Could there be two? :lol:

Bay Runner

J.P. - 5-14-2013 at 05:12 PM

There's someone that lives here in Rancho Packard that has one for sale but it has a much bigger Motor

woody with a view - 5-14-2013 at 05:24 PM

FWIW, the local boyz in the central coast use a 40 hp on their 23' panga. it's plenty of motor for getting around.

Mula - 5-14-2013 at 05:33 PM

The one we are thinking about is in Loreto.

merlin - 5-14-2013 at 05:38 PM

40hp is a little undergunned for a 20' Bayrunner. It really depends on how it's set up and how much weight you want to push around. If it's completely empty then in might be fine. I had a 17' with a center console, T-top, bait tank, cooler with ice, a couple of guys and the 60hp would push it just about right. My 23' had a Honda 130 on it - super nice ride. I still miss her.

chuckie - 5-14-2013 at 05:43 PM

Make sure it doesnt leak...A LOT of those tin boats have cancer..electrolysis..and it cant be fixed...40 horse is just fine...

fish101 - 5-14-2013 at 07:28 PM

Hey Mula, if your looking at the 20ft Baja Bayrunner in Nopolo it has two 4 stroke motors on it..Merc 90 and Kicker 15 Hp... Is that the one for 9000??
Look it over good, several of us have looked at it, needs some work. There was another 20 ft for sale a few months ago, but the transom is not in good shape, so be careful..The one in Nopolo may not leak , but I think that is the one that was flipped over a year ago...

KaceyJ - 5-14-2013 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The good, bad, the ugly, please.

Considering buying one for Sea of Cortez - June, July and August.
Mag Bay for Sept., Oct and Nov. - not outside the bay.

Thanks for your time and considerations.

Mula ,

If it's an older model , it will have gunnels that are about 1 1/2" wide.

These were known to crack ribs and the only way you'll know is to pull the floor boards..

Later models were made with 10 or so inch wide gunnels that added much rigidity to the hull. They don't flex and thus fatigue anywhere near as easily.

As far as power , a 40hp will do fine if you don't overload it. For cruising the bay it will be great and when it gets choppy outside , everyone has to slow down anyway. ( Except the PAngeros of course)

We've had a 17' with 50 merc

a 22' with a 115 Honda

and now a 19' with a 50 Honda.

The last one is my favorite , handles easily , one person can launch and retrieve it if its not insanely rough and gets about 5-6 mpg.

As far as electrolysis , disconnect the battery when not in use.

Mula - 5-15-2013 at 05:45 AM

The one we are looking at is in Loreto and has been in storage for 5 or 6 years.

It runs fine but needs a new battery.

Guess we will see it Friday.

mulegemichael - 5-15-2013 at 06:07 AM

i think i'd want just a little more power...like most of the guys said, "it'll be fine empty" but then throw the wife in, fill the gas tanks, coolers with ice full of dorado, i would have to say it would be a bit sluggish at that point.

SFandH - 5-15-2013 at 06:26 AM

I had a 50 hp on a 17 footer and thought it was under powered. I have a 40 hp on a 14 footer (max rated hp) now that I use on bahia concepcion and I like it.

The following link says the max rated hp for a 20 foot Bayrunner is 140 hp.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Bayrunner_by_Valco_Boats__Bayrun...

If this is your boat, 40 hp is small so you'll be running at or near full throttle a lot, especially on calm water, or you'll just be putting along enjoying the slow ride.

All depends upon the condition and the price.

Take it for a test run!!

Mula - 5-15-2013 at 07:05 AM

We have a new Yamaha 60 HP 2 Stroke on the panga that we could put on this other boat.

We are fair weather fishers now - having spent years in Alaska on rough seas.

chippy - 5-15-2013 at 07:35 AM

I hope you have tough knees and backs. I had an 18 for a few years. It pounded hard in any kind of chop thus cracked alot of welds. I think the Gregors are a better built boat.

Martyman - 5-15-2013 at 09:17 AM

20' with 40 caballos is definately underpowered. 50-60 would be minimum. I have a 40 hp on a 16' bayrunner.

Cypress - 5-15-2013 at 11:25 AM

Will a 40hp be enough motor for a 20' skiff? Not unless the skiff is very light, in which case it will beat you to death in any kind of chop and fall apart in the process.:no:

Mula - 5-15-2013 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the great info and links.

We are not going to be able to see it until Friday so are twiddling our thumbs for now.

Floatflyer - 5-16-2013 at 06:50 AM

I join those that say 40 hp is not enough. I have a 19' Bayrunner Baja with a 50 Honda. With me alone it is just ok. With anybody else in the boat it is definitely underpowered, IMO.

I bought it new in '98 and the horsepower is about the only thing I wish I had done differently. At that time the next larger Honda engine had the same size block as a 90 hp Honda and was HUGE and it looked like it would sink the stern!! The Honda 50 and 40 hp models share the same size block. I should have considered a Yamaha. FF