BajaNomad

Mexicans happier than Americans

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2013 at 08:13 AM

Low wages, gaping income inequality, poor education, long workdays, shorter life expectancy [but Mexicans are] more satisfied with their lives than the average in the OECD – a collection of mostly wealthy nations – and fall just behind a handful of countries like Switzerland, Sweden, and Denmark

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/Latin-America-Monito...

Well, ya know.....

neilm81301 - 5-30-2013 at 08:26 AM

.. when you're appointed the whole d**n world's policeman, and you're nose is stuck into every situation from one end of the globe to the other... it get's to wear on ya.

I don't think they lose much sleep over it in Switzerland, Sweden, and Denmark - or Mexico.

Think I'll move.

Neil

bajacalifornian - 5-30-2013 at 09:38 AM

No surprise here. With a dirt floor, no problem with wind blown dust. With a single puff or beer, smoke or drink it without concern for tomorrow. Monday morning and crudo, no voy a trabajar. "It's for the pump", liter shortage from the gas station.

One word. "Tranquilo". What Mexico is and others are not.

sancho - 5-30-2013 at 10:32 AM

You mean Mexico doesn't going around reclkessly
starting illegetimate 12 yr wars it has no idea of how to finish?
Holding celebrities in the highest regard. Trying
to lose weight to fit into those yoga pants? Priorities?
I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to have Mex located within a short
drive. Tranquilo indeed, Viva Mexico

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by sancho]

Curt63 - 5-30-2013 at 10:36 AM

I dont really know what is feels like to be Mexican (especially the middle class).

I enjoy my visits and realize I am an outsider and get treated very well as I spend my money. I do my best to be polite and generous and support the local economy.

For my Masters degree in Education, I studied poverty a great deal. I have observed lots of Mexicans I've encountered living out a variety of poverty strategies.

Their country differs from the US in that there are very few financial "safety nets" and government entitlements. This has certainly strengthened the family unit in Mexico and weakened the family in the US.

Their lack of social mobility has forced them to be content with what they have and not pursue the accumulation of wealth as many Americans do.

I'm sure there are lots more factors to be discussed.

DavidE - 5-30-2013 at 11:29 AM

Ya mean like heading north to the doctor, crossing the border and gradually but irrepressibly exchanging a smile for a sneer? It's a hell of a lot deeper than just a global policy. It's the frigidity of the society. Money and BS, rules, utterly. It's a damned shame when a poor person can see this "as plain as day".

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 11:39 AM

When the middle class grows, and the economy strengthens, and the banks start loaning money....then the working class can get mortgages and will be just like us. Miserable.
Until then, most don't have that problem.

SFandH - 5-30-2013 at 11:54 AM

I wonder how much the strong emphasis on families and the fact that families tend to stay together more so in Mexico than the US has to do with it. I bet a lot.

Bajatripper - 5-30-2013 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I wonder how much the strong emphasis on families and the fact that families tend to stay together more so in Mexico than the US has to do with it. I bet a lot.

This is often a misunderstood concept. Like Mexicans (and other less-industrialized peoples), we once placed higher values on family life and togetherness. But a lot of that can be explained in that societies that are predominately agricultural-based (as Mexico was until recently), people don't move away from their social networks since there really isn't any other place to go. In other words, families tend to stay together out of necessity, not necessarily because they like each other more than families in other societies. As industrialization develops, job opportunities--often coupled with higher educational achievements--begin to take their toll on family unity, culture, etc.

My childhood friendship network from the 1960s in La Paz are what has become, in my opinion, the first "middle class" of that city and I see this movement in action among them. While many of them still reside in La Paz, some of those with an education have moved on to the mainland for better opportunities and get home less and less as they set roots down elsewhere.

On a somewhat related note, I always get a kick out of Americans who, upon learning that many undocumented workers from Mexico live in a one or two bedroom apartment shared by 8-12 people, arrive at the conclusion that they must really like to live in such close quarters. Likely, some of them like those living arragements, but I doubt most of them would choose to live with such little privacy if given a choice(but that's just probably my cultural biases being displayed here and they all love such intimacy).

While I know when I'm happy or not, I'd hate to be the one who had to decide if other people are so, especially people from different societies than my own. Some people I know seem to put a lot of effort into cultivating unhappiness in their lives.

Just an observation.

And the list is...

redmesa - 5-30-2013 at 12:43 PM

Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Finland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Luxemburg, U.S.A .... And Mexico is not in the top 20 of the Forbes list.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by redmesa]

Don't Worry - Be Mexican ?

MrBillM - 5-30-2013 at 01:05 PM

THANKFULLY, I've endured the burden and misery of (relative) wealth common to USA folk.

It's a cross to bear, but better me than them.

DavidE - 5-30-2013 at 01:33 PM

MrBillM,

Can I come over and borrow a cup of "happiness"? :)

Being "comfortable" may mean being "Insulated" To me, this is not the issue here. The issue is we have lower income folks that make TEN TIMES AS MUCH MONEY as the poor in Mexico and HAVE TEN TIMES AS MUCH MONEY left over after paying for the basics of life.

And they riot and loot and burn. And shoot up, and complain. They can get food assistance and social assistance.

Florida. "Stop the Mexicans from coming in and stealing our jobs! It's a ripoff, they come in and do field piece work when "we" could be out there working on a by the hour basis (two crates of vegetables versus 20) for a good wage". Utter psychobabble garbage. The Mexicans whistle and sing as they send part of their wages home to Mexico. The wannbe's would still riot and shoot up and whimper.

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2013 at 02:06 PM

I had the most incredible experience the last time i was crossing the border on foot. My mom dropped me off in San Ysidro and i had 2 rolling suitcases to carry up and over the sloping walkway. No sooner had mom taken off and had i crossed the street when the first Mexican lady next to me offered to help me with my bags. One minute was all the time it took to be reminded why this is a wonderful country to be living in!

Now, i have found that people on airplanes, esp. gents, are very kind and often help others with overhead luggage. But, i don't think this is so on the "streets".

An aside: in Brazil, they have enacted laws that really make senior citizens' lives better: on buses you get free passes, movies and theater tickets at half price, and best of all: you are automatically allowed to jump to the front of any line in any place (eg. banks, post office, DMV).

Another aside: i read that a study discovered that people are happier when their house ceilings are high. Isn't that odd?

And the last aside: a study on happiness years ago revealed that (and this study did not include the poor) there are 3 key common factors in happy folks

1. They have many friends who share the good and the bad moments.
2. They have positive attitudes (the half full glass).
3. They were happy with themselves physically, not wanting a different nose or legs or hair.

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 02:16 PM

What Mexicans do as well as anybody in the world is keep their feelings to themselves, so I don't know how anyone thinks they can say how they feel about anything without being told directly.
Very private people they are.

vandenberg - 5-30-2013 at 02:25 PM

Somewhere there must be a reason I love living here and am very content. Being from Europe, I wouldn't live anywhere in Europe nor wanting to return to the US. Canada would be my only other consideration if they only would warm this place up a little.:biggrin::biggrin:

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
He was a Mexican.

On the Grapevine? I wonder what the chances of that are?
Did he say, "Bienvenidos a California?" :lol::lol:

bajacalifornian - 5-30-2013 at 03:00 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------

You're nailing it.

Being Mexican is being yourself. We're all the same. My closest family of friends began without a trace of inhibition or belief I or we were any different. I learned the language, a must. I prefer hand lining which I've done for 12 years. I prefer conversation without negativity. These, I guess are axioms of my being Mexican, assimilate and enjoy..

One needs not go outa their way to be generous, 'cause they're whatever.

An outsider perhaps, but if you like the people, they'll know it.

This country offers entitlements in a well dignified way.

A friend in Lopez, because he is hardworking and contributing to his community by selling fish to the buyers, and buying staples from the tienda, and responsible people have written letters in his support . . . has a property with a house on it. He pays very little for a little period of time.

Following closure of construction on his home, he promptly set about building his real home . . . which is outdoor living, with a dirt floor.

Bikes and cement are provided on a need basis during election cycles.

My sons college educated friends are writing business models for their new business pursuits seeking seed money to get them started. Interestingly, most, regardless of University Major are going "Green" businesses. Mostly reclamation. New 4 stoke outboards in Lopez are cause for drool. Fishermen pay a short percentage and it gets 2-strokes off the water.

Teachers have special housing opportunity in teacher's neighborhoods, but teachers is another story. US or Mex, costs of the teachers vote, from the beginning is now understood.

Social lines cross extensively, short of the drug leaders. Hunting clubs, horse and mule rider organization etc . . . the President of Cabo rode the last San Javier ride. At stops, a buddy of mine was jumping out of his police truck to mop down with a towel the big white warm blood the president rode. The one with a black saddle covered in silver.

Mostly, the successful working folks have successful working offspring. Store owner's sons own stores, extensions of the family business. Pharmacists sons are vets, and vets sons are vets and physicians sons are their assistants when young.

A fisherman who made it through grade school thinks nothing of his son quitting school to fish. That's the way they know it. Wealth is an American Madison engineered Avenue. Not sought after here, other than human nature.

The most successful of the successful here will not borrow money. Would they wish to rush home, returning to their jobs to pay the bank for all their shick? Na.

Less is more, here.

Got to mention education cause it intertwines so heavily. My sons, grade 5 & 6 regularly had group studies in homes of their peers . . . here in the afternoons at my home as well. Special students are accepted from this early age. Funny lookig kids get nicknames as such but all were and remain unified. School goes south in prepa for a good education. Larger cities are host to world class universities.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by bajacalifornian]

sancho - 5-30-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian

Being Mexican is being yourself. I prefer hand lining which I've done for 12 years.
An outsider perhaps, but if you like the people, they'll know it.

Less is more, here.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by bajacalifornian]

Good topic, I'm with you except for the hand lining,
Mex Nationals will know if you are sincere

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2013 at 03:53 PM

interesting ... I find that the neighbors here in town are very open with me about very personal issues. moreso than people in the States.

what does seem to play a big part in satisfaction here, methinks, is role definition which is clear as can be. my neighbor thinks nothing that although she would love to live in la bocana when her husband retires, he has already decided that they will live in san ignacio. when he was debating taking a job in ensenada and I asked her about it - she was totally against the idea. when I asked if she would talk this over with her husband, she looked at me as if I was nuts. "it is his decision" she said.

I think if I were a man, I would definitely, without a second's doubt, marry a Mexican lady ....

:lol::lol::lol:

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2013 at 03:56 PM

whistler - that was a GOOD story !

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
DavidE,
I agree.We have become a entitlement nation.

Glenn, for how many years have we been hearing this? Did you also walk to school 5 miles , barefoot?

Just saying

DavidE - 5-30-2013 at 04:07 PM

Mexicans "Work To Live" not the other way round - mad dog wealth accumulation and rabidness in increasing it.

In Mexico,you know you're in trouble if people "like" you because of who you are instead of what you are.

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Ralph,both ways uphill.
Last week while grocery shopping a well dressed man walked up to me and asked if I would like to save money on groceries.He asked if I was paying cash or on a credit card?I said I could do either.He wanted to know if I wanted to buy food stamps.
Back when I was growing up most families would not accept charity or even think of going on welfare unless absolutley necessary.It was something to be ashamed of even when justified.Now they don't think twice about it.
How many of the people on welfare own cars,cell phones,and dress better than me while grocery shopping with food stamps?Eat better than me too.

We are approx the same age, and I remember people selling their food stamps.

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 04:50 PM

First Food Stamp Program (FSP) (May 16, 1939 – Spring 1943): ver the course of nearly four years, the first FSP reached approximately 20 million people at one time or another in nearly half of the counties in the U.S. at a total cost of $262 million.

Pilot Food Stamp Program (1961–1964): Mr. and Mrs. Alderson Muncy of Paynesville, West Virginia, were the first food stamp recipients on May 29, 1961. They purchased US$95 worth of food using food stamps for their 15-person household. In the first food stamp transaction, they bought a can of pork and beans at Henderson's Supermarket. By January 1964, the pilot programs had expanded from eight areas to 43 (40 counties, Detroit, Michigan, St. Louis, Missouri, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) in 22 States with 380,000 participants.

Program expansion: participation milestones in the 1960s and early 1970s:
In April 1965, participation topped half a million. (Actual participation was 561,261 people.) Participation topped 1 million in March 1966, 2 million in October 1967, 3 million in February 1969, 4 million in February 1970, 5 million one month later in March 1970, 6 million two months later in May 1970, 10 million in February 1971, and 15 million in October 1974. Rapid increases in participation during this period were primarily due to geographic expansion.

ETC

Source wikipedia

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 04:53 PM

Remember the big blocks of cheese they used to give to seniors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by DENNIS]

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 04:54 PM

I believe the the source of happiness in Baja, is not the government...but the family structure.

But I also think the Mexican people are working very hard to develop a middle class which has "more". I see it in Asuncion as well as other places.

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I believe the the source of happiness in Baja, is not the government...but the family structure.

Also, a relative [to us] lack of debt.......credit card and mortgage especially.
It has to make a difference emotionally.

SFandH - 5-30-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Also, a relative [to us] lack of debt.......credit card and mortgage especially.
It has to make a difference emotionally.

You've written about your theory that debt is the source of unhappiness a couple of times. I've had school loans, carried a mortgage, bought cars using loans, and use credit cards. Never made me unhappy, quite the opposite. Plus the happiest folks live in Scandinavia and I assume they have mortgages, car loans, and other types of debt.

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by SFandH]

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
http://www.benefits.gov/
Ralph,see how many benefits you might qualify for.
They said how many I might qualify for.37!

43...but most did not apply.

DavidE - 5-30-2013 at 05:41 PM

I think you can judge anyone by presenting them with seeing someone unknowingly drop their wallet and how they react to it. A 50 peso note dropped out of my pants pocket and la señora in El Arco came running up behind me yelling "Señor, Señor!" At 12.49 to 1 this was worth 2 days of work to those folks. I gave her a giant Hershey bar and she divided it I don't know how many times for her extended family. Once inch squares. Later she bashfully "forced" me to accept a basket of lobster empanadas. Rosa had given la señora a couple of aluminum tin pots to replace the chipped and rusty porcelain pots she had been using. God God, she treated the gift like we had given her a car. You remember those flecked blue and white steel pots? I also brought cut patches of genuine chamois skin for the gasoline funnels. I had sold my car to go on the trip so I figured "What The Heck" cut up the chamois after Rosa told me folks would appreciate it.

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

You've written about your theory that debt is the source of unhappiness a couple of times.

In this case, I'm referring to just the opposite, that lack of debt is a source of happiness. Who could argue with that?

They SAY

MrBillM - 5-30-2013 at 06:03 PM

Money can't buy Happiness.

But, what do THEY (whoever they are) know ?

There SEEM to be an awfully lot of wealthy people enjoying the good life.

But, they're probably just faking.

And would be a lot happier munching Tortillas and Beans in a mud hut.

Who wouldn't be ?

Sure sounds good to me.

I'd miss HBO a little, though.

Curt63 - 5-30-2013 at 06:54 PM

Too many people on food stamps huh?

Are School Lunches on your chit list too?

Ever heard of dairy, poultry, beef and agriculture subsidies?

Just guess who lobbied for food stamps and School Lunches expansion? Answer: anyone and everyone that provides supplies and equipment to farmers and ranchers.

Food production is integral to national security.

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
If debt is the source for unhappiness than our government must be awfully sad.

They're a sad example of a government. Yes.

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 07:36 PM

Hey Glenn, How is the fishing?

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
I am against having to wait 273 days on average to get their benefits.

That's actually a big improvement from ten or fifteen years ago.

durrelllrobert - 5-30-2013 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected.Only 47 million and change on food stamps.
http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/03/29/food-m29.html

This graphic was from 2011:

Curt63 - 5-30-2013 at 07:45 PM

Whistler, Im with you.

Goofy country we live in. Kinda goes back to Americans trying to amass wealth and manipulating politics to drum up business.

The Mexicans are more resigned to be content with their position in life. The greedy ones come north and work hard or use entitlements.

I sure like riding my quad on an empty Baja beach and sitting down to a plate of fish tacos and Pacificos.

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by Curt63]

Curt63 - 5-30-2013 at 07:59 PM

Bob,

You left out a little info.

2007 -2011
Unemployment grew by 94% (Bush's parting gift)
Food Stamps grew by 70%

How do you read this?

Bajaboy - 5-30-2013 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
No,I am not against lunch programs.I am against poorly run programs.My sister sees it everyday.Do you think elementary school kids like bell peppers?She says that the kids eat the slice apples and the rest is thrown away.
Do you think I am against vets getting their medical benefits?Which I happen to be one. Of course not! I am against having to wait 273 days on average to get their benefits.
Didn't you see the post on felons in prison getting benefits?That is what I am against.
I am against incompetent teachers sitting in rubber rooms still getting paid because they can't be fired!!!

How about an unfair tax code that was created by the rich, for the rich?

Bajaboy - 5-30-2013 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Zac,you keep bringing this up.If it was fair why is it that 47% per cent of the population don't pay any taxes at all?Including me.
I agree that the tax code sucks but don't you think that the burden of taxes is put on the wealthy?I understand the liberal point of view about distribution of wealth(I am not a conservative and actually was a lot more liberal when I was younger.I views changed because the ).The "haves" need to help the" have-nots".It's all a matter of point of view.Do you own a home?Do you get a mortgage interest deduction?Do you think it is fair because you are able to own a home and others cannot?Why should you get a deduction because you are doing better financially than others?
Do the poor provide jobs?
Do the poor donate to universities,build libraries,hospitals etc.?
Do the poor donate special wheel chairs at 15 grand a piece for our disabled veterans?
It seems if 20 per cent of a million dollars is 200 hundred grand,don't you think that helps a whole lot more than 35 per cent of 50 grand?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I am proud to pay my taxes. I don't b-tch about it. I feel fortunate that I am in a position to contribute to society.

But what peees me off is that the tax code favors the rich. There are so many examples of multi-billion dollar companies paying little to no taxes. In fact, the government takes in less revenue today as a percentage from business than it did twenty years ago. On the flip side, individuals pay more as a percentage. This is not a coincidence. How many millionaires make up Congress?

Do I respect those that game the system...no...but that goes for Mitt Romney and his friends too. I respect hard working, tax paying citizens...and it has nothing to do with who one votes for. There are plenty of red states that take in far more than they contribute.

I suppose we both believe in the same values...work hard, pay your fair share, and help out when possible....but it applies to all Americans.

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
But what peees me off is that the tax code favors the rich.

Look at it like this, Zac; It's motivation....an incentive for you to give it your best and get rich. Then you can enjoy the logic of it all......as well as your hard earned wealth. :yes:

Bajaboy - 5-30-2013 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
But what peees me off is that the tax code favors the rich.

Look at it like this, Zac; It's motivation....an incentive for you to give it your best and get rich. Then you can enjoy the logic of it all......as well as your hard earned wealth. :yes:

Thanks but no thanks....I have no motivation to be wealthy...I live a good life and am comfortable in the shoes I wear.

Bajaboy - 5-30-2013 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Zac,do you get a mortgage interest deduction?Some people would you say you are gaming the systems.Are you?Of course not.You are following the rules.Same as the corporations.
You sound like corporations are an evil thing.The one I worked for provided me with a good living,profit sharing a 401 package.Provided me with medical,retirement and they continue to pay a good portion of my medical after I retired.
You will never know how this corporation provided security for this nation and our allies.Apollo 13 came home because of this corporation.Advance notice of scud attacks were provided by this corporation.It goes on and on.

The difference between me and the corporation is that I don't have a lobbyist looking out for me or my interests. I get crumbs while your corporation feasts on roast pig.

Bajaboy - 5-30-2013 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
One other difference is that you did not provide me and thousands of others with a good living.
Why do you continue to bring up Romney?He donated his inheritance to Brigam Young University.I know how he made his money whether you like the way he made it or not. Tell me how a community organizer becomes a millionaire?Tell me what the heck is a community organizer.

Glenn, still not sure why you are going to bat for a team that you don't play for...

Do you get a gov't pension? How about if we convert it to a 401k? Do you have gov't medical care? How about if we give you a yearly voucher? Maybe we should just let haliburton take over all operations....Do you think our military personnel would be treated better or worse?

How does a community organizer become a millionaire? Get a law degree and go to work for the lobbyists...I mean Congress.

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2013 at 11:28 PM

This thread reminds me of a program I recently saw on Bill Gates. I believe Gates quoted that the greatest waste of life is if a wealthy man dies with all his wealth. So Bill has this foundation now that's trying to eradicate disease in Africa and hunger elsewhere.

So my thinking was, why did we go this circuitous route. Why did Microsoft have such a markup that now Bill is trying to figure out how to spend it all. Why didn't the consumer just have some of his cost earmarked for worthwhile goals directly instead of paying for overpriced goods.

You think of Andrew Carnegie. What was the point of amassing all that wealth? The public could have donated that money directly to building all those public libraries he had built.

It's also interesting that these wealthy men apparently weren't happy until they gave their money away. It was the spending on the public that eventually brought them happiness. The same public from whom they made their wealth. Puzzling, isn't it?

-------------------------------

Regarding the question of who is happier, Mexicans or Americans. It's a topic that's discussed here at least 2 times a year. Expats living in Mexico especially like to point out how much happier Mexicans are. Frankly I think expats all over the world feel that way about their adopted country. The question, however, still remains why are all these happy people trying so hard to get into such an unhappy country.

One thing that wealth and education provides is not wealth itself, but stability and less anxiety. If you're educated and living in the US you really don't need to worry too much about making ends meet or getting the best medical attention when you need it. In Latin America they're always searching and worrying. They have lots of kids in order to build their own safety net because it ain't there. Large families provide stability.

And no, the education in baja schools is not very good. Try giving a baja high school grad the SAT math test and see the results. I know, what good is geometry? The high tech industry here in the US is starved for engineers yet I never see any Mexicans in these positions. That tells you a lot about their educational system.

Being Dumb and Happy

MrBillM - 5-31-2013 at 08:19 AM

The report that news agencies are using for Cheery cherry-picking to make whatever point they're interested in is notable for the fact that, while all seem to be concentrating on the "Be Happy" part, Happiness is NOT in the report, but rather "Life Contentment".

AND, the difference in that category could be considered relatively insignificant (7.3 v 7.0).

Overall "Quality of Life" for the U.S. comes in well-above Mexico at 6th overall.

Given the dramatic differences in Literacy rates, maybe it's just a matter of recognizing your limitations and knowing your life isn't going anywhere.

Perhaps the REAL moral IS:

Move to Australia ?

Bajajorge - 5-31-2013 at 08:54 AM

Mexicans are happier because they work for what they have. A real feeling of accomplishment. They don't watch 4-5 hours worth of TV news, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, HLN. They just care about what's going on around them, probably could care less about the middle east, Obama or any of the Washington DC scandals. Stock market? What's a stock market. To a Mexican you buy cattle, pigs, sheep, maybe chickens at the stock market.

DavidE - 5-31-2013 at 09:39 AM

A sense of hopelessness real or imagined IMHO is a real enemy of the poor. How people react to it is what defines character...

Everyday geometry

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2013 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Like I said before,I only know about the school system in Abreojos.Off hand ,I can name three kids going to the InstitutoTecnolologico de Ensenada.All majoring in engineering.There are probably more.Ralph knows them (Pedro,Hernan an Asael).
What good is geometry? If I didn't have a good background in geometry and trig I could not have done my job.I have to calculate a lot of compound angles building my truck. tan c=tan of a x cos of b if anybody is interested.
Just thinking maybe this website has outlived it's usefullness.

Every truck driver uses it but may not know it. Every seen a sign on the highway saying 6% grade next 6 miles?
6% (.06) is the Sine of the vertical drop in feet divided by the distance traveled in feet (6 miles = 31,680 feet).
(c/a = Sine of C or 2020.8 ft drop/33,680 ft traveled = .06.

Bajaboy - 5-31-2013 at 12:29 PM

Whistler, you're misinformed and bitter...maybe take a walk and get a hug from someone:saint:

Bajaboy - 5-31-2013 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
I am not bitter at all.I actually am quite happy with my life.
Tell me where I am misinformed and I will stand corrected.
Just answer me this one question and I will not bring up this subject again.
Do you contribute to your health plan for you and your family?

Yes and to my retirement.

Bajaboy - 5-31-2013 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
"Our contractually,fully paid benefits remain in effect"
Not even what is written in your contract.

I don't work for San Diego Unified but my wife does. She makes less than I do although she has more experience. She pays for her benefits via reduced pay. Rates for my district range between $400-1400 per month based on the plan and coverage.

Why do I need to explain myself? And why do you only b-tch about teachers?

As I said prior, you are misinformed.:light:

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by Bajaboy]

DavidE - 5-31-2013 at 05:17 PM

When a person goes to the store and purchases a hundred dollars worth of groceries that "should" cost sixty five if speculators did not take their "cut", it's the millionaires who suffer. Right?

Our whole economic model is as badly skewed as the Mexican justice system. The money that Banque de Quebec MAKES on North American crude oil speculation makes all petroleum products a lot more expensive. Now how does THAT help a struggling individual invest in America?

The people who cost US money, are not just the poor. No way Joser. Speculation affects everyone but especially those folks in the lower income echelon. People who sit behind a desk transfer someone else's money and make millions and millions and millions. These are the true leeches and maggots of the American dream.

HEY THERE! I paid a lot of money investing in this gun. I don't want to hear any gosh darnned complaints. Hand over your wallet.

[Edited on 6-1-2013 by DavidE]

woody with a view - 5-31-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
When a person goes to the store and purchases a hundred dollars worth of groceries that "should" cost sixty five if speculators did not take their "cut", it's the millionaires who suffer. Right?

Our whole economic model is as badly skewed as the Mexican justice system. The money that Banque de Quebec MAKES on North American crude oil speculation makes all petroleum products a lot more expensive. Now how does THAT help a struggling individual invest in America?

The people who cost US money, are not just the poor. No way Joser. Speculation affects everyone but especially those folks in the lower income echelon. People who sit behind a desk transfer someone else's money and make millions and millions and millions. These are the true leeches and maggots of the American dream.

HEY THERE! I paid a lot of money investing in this gun. I don't want to hear any gosh darnned complaints. Hand over your wallet.

reminds me of the story where Calif workers are gonna get a raise to $9.25/hour as the minimum over 3 years:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bills-minimum-wage-2...
while this seems like the fair thing to do, how will the Corps/small biz's deal with the almost 20% rise in their expenses? do you think it will be passed on to their customers (the EVIL consumers?) or do you think they will absorb the costs?

i think that ALL of our costs will rise AND the minimum wage earners will still be at the bottom of the economic scale, even with an almost 20% pay raise...... howz that for fair?

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2013 at 07:00 PM

...and of course those of us living on our SS get nothing or even if we get a small COL increase the government increases our Medicare deduction to equal or greater than that increase. :fire:

Bajaboy - 5-31-2013 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

reminds me of the story where Calif workers are gonna get a raise to $9.25/hour as the minimum over 3 years:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bills-minimum-wage-2...
while this seems like the fair thing to do, how will the Corps/small biz's deal with the almost 20% rise in their expenses? do you think it will be passed on to their customers (the EVIL consumers?) or do you think they will absorb the costs?

i think that ALL of our costs will rise AND the minimum wage earners will still be at the bottom of the economic scale, even with an almost 20% pay raise...... howz that for fair?

Here you go Woody...

The Low Wage Drag on Our Economy:
WalMart’s low wages and their effect on taxpayers and economic
growth:
http://democrats.edworkforce.house.gov/sites/democrats.edwor...

woody with a view - 5-31-2013 at 07:04 PM

sounds like we see things the same, sorta....

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:

Here you go Woody...

The Low Wage Drag on Our Economy:
WalMart’s low wages and their effect on taxpayers and economic
growth:
http://democrats.edworkforce.house.gov/sites/democrats.edwor...

Walmart is currently running an ad on TV that says they will offer a job to any veteran returning for Afghanistan that wants one and that their ultimate goal is to hire 100,000 veterans. Maybe their pay is better then the Army's?

DENNIS - 5-31-2013 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Walmart is currently running an ad on TV that says they will offer a job to any veteran returning for Afghanistan that wants one and that their ultimate goal is to hire 100,000 veterans. Maybe their pay is better then the Army's?

I'll bet they won't assign them to the hunting department. :o

The PURSUIT of Happiness

MrBillM - 6-2-2013 at 01:35 PM

Can be clearly seen in ALL of those Americans who are flooding into Mexico in search of that illusive utopian dream.

And, that's WHY Mexicans DON'T flood Northward and are content to stay home.

Being HAPPY.

That's how it's working, Right ?