Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Mexicans happier than Americans
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 08:13 AM
Mexicans happier than Americans

Low wages, gaping income inequality, poor education, long workdays, shorter life expectancy [but Mexicans are] more satisfied with their lives than the average in the OECD – a collection of mostly wealthy nations – and fall just behind a handful of countries like Switzerland, Sweden, and Denmark

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/Latin-America-Monito...

Bob Durrell
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 08:26 AM
Well, ya know.....

.. when you're appointed the whole d**n world's policeman, and you're nose is stuck into every situation from one end of the globe to the other... it get's to wear on ya.

I don't think they lose much sleep over it in Switzerland, Sweden, and Denmark - or Mexico.

Think I'll move.

Neil
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:38 AM

No surprise here. With a dirt floor, no problem with wind blown dust. With a single puff or beer, smoke or drink it without concern for tomorrow. Monday morning and crudo, no voy a trabajar. "It's for the pump", liter shortage from the gas station.

One word. "Tranquilo". What Mexico is and others are not.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:32 AM

You mean Mexico doesn't going around reclkessly
starting illegetimate 12 yr wars it has no idea of how to finish?
Holding celebrities in the highest regard. Trying
to lose weight to fit into those yoga pants? Priorities?
I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to have Mex located within a short
drive. Tranquilo indeed, Viva Mexico

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by sancho]
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 10:36 AM

I dont really know what is feels like to be Mexican (especially the middle class).

I enjoy my visits and realize I am an outsider and get treated very well as I spend my money. I do my best to be polite and generous and support the local economy.

For my Masters degree in Education, I studied poverty a great deal. I have observed lots of Mexicans I've encountered living out a variety of poverty strategies.

Their country differs from the US in that there are very few financial "safety nets" and government entitlements. This has certainly strengthened the family unit in Mexico and weakened the family in the US.

Their lack of social mobility has forced them to be content with what they have and not pursue the accumulation of wealth as many Americans do.

I'm sure there are lots more factors to be discussed.

No worries
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:29 AM

Ya mean like heading north to the doctor, crossing the border and gradually but irrepressibly exchanging a smile for a sneer? It's a hell of a lot deeper than just a global policy. It's the frigidity of the society. Money and BS, rules, utterly. It's a damned shame when a poor person can see this "as plain as day".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:39 AM

When the middle class grows, and the economy strengthens, and the banks start loaning money....then the working class can get mortgages and will be just like us. Miserable.
Until then, most don't have that problem.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:54 AM

I wonder how much the strong emphasis on families and the fact that families tend to stay together more so in Mexico than the US has to do with it. I bet a lot.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I wonder how much the strong emphasis on families and the fact that families tend to stay together more so in Mexico than the US has to do with it. I bet a lot.

This is often a misunderstood concept. Like Mexicans (and other less-industrialized peoples), we once placed higher values on family life and togetherness. But a lot of that can be explained in that societies that are predominately agricultural-based (as Mexico was until recently), people don't move away from their social networks since there really isn't any other place to go. In other words, families tend to stay together out of necessity, not necessarily because they like each other more than families in other societies. As industrialization develops, job opportunities--often coupled with higher educational achievements--begin to take their toll on family unity, culture, etc.

My childhood friendship network from the 1960s in La Paz are what has become, in my opinion, the first "middle class" of that city and I see this movement in action among them. While many of them still reside in La Paz, some of those with an education have moved on to the mainland for better opportunities and get home less and less as they set roots down elsewhere.

On a somewhat related note, I always get a kick out of Americans who, upon learning that many undocumented workers from Mexico live in a one or two bedroom apartment shared by 8-12 people, arrive at the conclusion that they must really like to live in such close quarters. Likely, some of them like those living arragements, but I doubt most of them would choose to live with such little privacy if given a choice(but that's just probably my cultural biases being displayed here and they all love such intimacy).

While I know when I'm happy or not, I'd hate to be the one who had to decide if other people are so, especially people from different societies than my own. Some people I know seem to put a lot of effort into cultivating unhappiness in their lives.

Just an observation.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 12:43 PM
And the list is...

Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Finland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Ireland, Luxemburg, U.S.A .... And Mexico is not in the top 20 of the Forbes list.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by redmesa]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:05 PM
Don't Worry - Be Mexican ?

THANKFULLY, I've endured the burden and misery of (relative) wealth common to USA folk.

It's a cross to bear, but better me than them.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 01:33 PM

MrBillM,

Can I come over and borrow a cup of "happiness"? :)

Being "comfortable" may mean being "Insulated" To me, this is not the issue here. The issue is we have lower income folks that make TEN TIMES AS MUCH MONEY as the poor in Mexico and HAVE TEN TIMES AS MUCH MONEY left over after paying for the basics of life.

And they riot and loot and burn. And shoot up, and complain. They can get food assistance and social assistance.

Florida. "Stop the Mexicans from coming in and stealing our jobs! It's a ripoff, they come in and do field piece work when "we" could be out there working on a by the hour basis (two crates of vegetables versus 20) for a good wage". Utter psychobabble garbage. The Mexicans whistle and sing as they send part of their wages home to Mexico. The wannbe's would still riot and shoot up and whimper.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 02:06 PM

I had the most incredible experience the last time i was crossing the border on foot. My mom dropped me off in San Ysidro and i had 2 rolling suitcases to carry up and over the sloping walkway. No sooner had mom taken off and had i crossed the street when the first Mexican lady next to me offered to help me with my bags. One minute was all the time it took to be reminded why this is a wonderful country to be living in!

Now, i have found that people on airplanes, esp. gents, are very kind and often help others with overhead luggage. But, i don't think this is so on the "streets".

An aside: in Brazil, they have enacted laws that really make senior citizens' lives better: on buses you get free passes, movies and theater tickets at half price, and best of all: you are automatically allowed to jump to the front of any line in any place (eg. banks, post office, DMV).

Another aside: i read that a study discovered that people are happier when their house ceilings are high. Isn't that odd?

And the last aside: a study on happiness years ago revealed that (and this study did not include the poor) there are 3 key common factors in happy folks

1. They have many friends who share the good and the bad moments.
2. They have positive attitudes (the half full glass).
3. They were happy with themselves physically, not wanting a different nose or legs or hair.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 02:16 PM

What Mexicans do as well as anybody in the world is keep their feelings to themselves, so I don't know how anyone thinks they can say how they feel about anything without being told directly.
Very private people they are.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 02:25 PM

Somewhere there must be a reason I love living here and am very content. Being from Europe, I wouldn't live anywhere in Europe nor wanting to return to the US. Canada would be my only other consideration if they only would warm this place up a little.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
He was a Mexican.

On the Grapevine? I wonder what the chances of that are?
Did he say, "Bienvenidos a California?" :lol::lol:
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 03:00 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------

You're nailing it.

Being Mexican is being yourself. We're all the same. My closest family of friends began without a trace of inhibition or belief I or we were any different. I learned the language, a must. I prefer hand lining which I've done for 12 years. I prefer conversation without negativity. These, I guess are axioms of my being Mexican, assimilate and enjoy..

One needs not go outa their way to be generous, 'cause they're whatever.

An outsider perhaps, but if you like the people, they'll know it.

This country offers entitlements in a well dignified way.

A friend in Lopez, because he is hardworking and contributing to his community by selling fish to the buyers, and buying staples from the tienda, and responsible people have written letters in his support . . . has a property with a house on it. He pays very little for a little period of time.

Following closure of construction on his home, he promptly set about building his real home . . . which is outdoor living, with a dirt floor.

Bikes and cement are provided on a need basis during election cycles.

My sons college educated friends are writing business models for their new business pursuits seeking seed money to get them started. Interestingly, most, regardless of University Major are going "Green" businesses. Mostly reclamation. New 4 stoke outboards in Lopez are cause for drool. Fishermen pay a short percentage and it gets 2-strokes off the water.

Teachers have special housing opportunity in teacher's neighborhoods, but teachers is another story. US or Mex, costs of the teachers vote, from the beginning is now understood.

Social lines cross extensively, short of the drug leaders. Hunting clubs, horse and mule rider organization etc . . . the President of Cabo rode the last San Javier ride. At stops, a buddy of mine was jumping out of his police truck to mop down with a towel the big white warm blood the president rode. The one with a black saddle covered in silver.

Mostly, the successful working folks have successful working offspring. Store owner's sons own stores, extensions of the family business. Pharmacists sons are vets, and vets sons are vets and physicians sons are their assistants when young.

A fisherman who made it through grade school thinks nothing of his son quitting school to fish. That's the way they know it. Wealth is an American Madison engineered Avenue. Not sought after here, other than human nature.

The most successful of the successful here will not borrow money. Would they wish to rush home, returning to their jobs to pay the bank for all their shick? Na.

Less is more, here.

Got to mention education cause it intertwines so heavily. My sons, grade 5 & 6 regularly had group studies in homes of their peers . . . here in the afternoons at my home as well. Special students are accepted from this early age. Funny lookig kids get nicknames as such but all were and remain unified. School goes south in prepa for a good education. Larger cities are host to world class universities.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian

Being Mexican is being yourself. I prefer hand lining which I've done for 12 years.
An outsider perhaps, but if you like the people, they'll know it.

Less is more, here.

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by bajacalifornian]

Good topic, I'm with you except for the hand lining,
Mex Nationals will know if you are sincere
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 03:53 PM

interesting ... I find that the neighbors here in town are very open with me about very personal issues. moreso than people in the States.

what does seem to play a big part in satisfaction here, methinks, is role definition which is clear as can be. my neighbor thinks nothing that although she would love to live in la bocana when her husband retires, he has already decided that they will live in san ignacio. when he was debating taking a job in ensenada and I asked her about it - she was totally against the idea. when I asked if she would talk this over with her husband, she looked at me as if I was nuts. "it is his decision" she said.

I think if I were a man, I would definitely, without a second's doubt, marry a Mexican lady ....

:lol::lol::lol:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 03:56 PM

whistler - that was a GOOD story !

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.