BajaNomad

Jimmy Smith, pilot and author, who back in the day used his plane as a "flying hearse" from Abreojos

EnsenadaDr - 7-9-2013 at 09:31 AM

These older guys are really fascinating. It is interesting to hear how Baja was even 40 years ago. While doing some research on Bernie to find out who he was, I ran across this interview of Jimmy Smith. He has a cap on that says Los Angeles Police Department, so he must have been a retired police officer like Bernie. He also must have been a pilot. I know nothing else except that the PGJR would have arrested anyone who transported a body in their plane. How things have changed. This interview is fascinating. Maybe some of you might know who Jimmy is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyoerMl4q3k

BajaNomad - 7-9-2013 at 10:08 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/member.php?action=viewpro&me...

[Edited on 7-9-2013 by BajaNomad]

EnsenadaDr - 7-9-2013 at 10:22 AM

Thanks Doug, I guess at that time the board was known as Amigos? He referred to Amigos during the interview. It's funny like he said that people complain about every little thing, these guys were the true pioneers and renegades, you had to be tough way back when when Mexico was less regulated and more like the Wild West south of the Border. I enjoyed listening to both Jimmy and Bernie, thank God for modern technology.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
http://forums.bajanomad.com/member.php?action=viewpro&me...

:o

Skeet/Loreto - 7-9-2013 at 10:27 AM

Jimmy Smith:

Don Jimmy was one of those Adventuers of yesteryear!

He was a Crop Duster pilot in Texas, a Motorcycle rider in Baja , an ole type Western Character that was a Great Guy.

His Daughter I think is still on this Board. he did things the Ole Fashion way, he used is Mind to seek out all kinds of ?Adventuer he loved. He treated people and his friends with Kindness and Respect.

He was a Good Man.

Skeet

BajaNomad - 7-9-2013 at 10:31 AM

The Amigos board (and Fred Metcalf's site) were the most active places to interact on Baja topics in the late 90's and early 2000's. Great resources, great places to connect with others.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22914

The Amigos board was at bajanet.com.

David K - 7-9-2013 at 12:06 PM

Jimmy was also an early Baja racer. Get his book The Grinning Gargoyle ... I learned how he got that name, good story. His daughter is eli here on Nomad.

mike odell - 7-9-2013 at 02:39 PM

This thread and the youtube interviews, brought back pleasant memories.
I had the honor to call Jimmy good friend, and mentor. He was best man
at my wedding years ago. I have spent many a hour at his home in the
front yard, just listening to his take on Baja, and a whole lot of other
subjects. Jimmy had almost total recall, witty and funny as all get out!
He has been gone a while now, but certainly not forgotten.

LAPD

Bomberro - 7-9-2013 at 02:55 PM

When I met Jimmy in the late 1980's, he told me that as an officer with L.A. he was injured and had to retire. He sure spent his time well, he had a lot to do with the old airport in front of Palmas De Cortez, pretty much built it. I used his ham radio for quite a few years before I gave it back as I had gotten a newer Kenwood. He truly was a real baja guy!

David K - 7-9-2013 at 05:15 PM

Great stories of Don Jimmy... My girlfriend and I enjoyed an afternoon with him on his porch in 2001, Los Barriles. The next day he took us to see the Real de Santa Ana, the oldest mine center in California... It was well hidden and quite a treat being a history fan. I think it was one of Jimmy's favorite places.

Jimmy's first Baja home I believe was San Ignacio, the first oasis after hundreds of miles (unpaved then) of Baja desert road. There he met Lupe and pestered her endlessly to marry him. It was in the early 1960's when Erle Stanley Gardner made a base camp at the old San Ignacio airstrip up on the mesa. Choral Pepper was editor of Desert Magazine and there when Jimmy would keep coming to join them around the campfire each night. Choral said that Jimmy looked like a "grinning gargoyle"!

Nearly 40 years later, they 'spoke' via email with my assistance and Choral called me The Baja Connection

Eli - 7-15-2013 at 07:06 PM

Today, 24 years ago, I returned home to Los Barriles to celebrate Dad's birthday and here I stayed. In 2004 Don Jimmy passed on, now Bernie joins him. Today I feel like they are guardian Angel's watching over us that choose to continue down their dusty pathways through their beloved Baja.
Bless their Sweet Soul's.

mulegemichael - 7-16-2013 at 06:33 AM

i was fortunate to meet and chat with jimmy on his porch back around 2000 or so...if i recall correctly we consumed a few tecates...wonderful man.

ensenadaDr

bajadave1 - 7-20-2013 at 07:25 AM

check your U2U

elgatoloco - 7-20-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Today, 24 years ago, I returned home to Los Barriles to celebrate Dad's birthday and here I stayed. In 2004 Don Jimmy passed on, now Bernie joins him. Today I feel like they are guardian Angel's watching over us that choose to continue down their dusty pathways through their beloved Baja.

Amen to that.

Hard to believe its been 9 years since Don Jimmy passed. Bernie and your dad were both one of kind. They broke the mold. Thrilled that we were able to spend a little time with the two of them. Better yet that we have both their writings to look back on their view of the early days of Baja.

Eli - 7-20-2013 at 11:09 AM

One of the positives of Dad being in the hospital was meeting You and Barb, also,of course, Bernie, Doug and David. That was my last trip North of the Boarder. I hope someday our paths will cross again. Saludos, Sara

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

Amen to that.

Hard to believe its been 9 years since Don Jimmy passed. Bernie and your dad were both one of kind. They broke the mold. Thrilled that we were able to spend a little time with the two of them. Better yet that we have both their writings to look back on their view of the early days of Baja.