BajaNomad

Catalytic Converter

MitchMan - 7-27-2013 at 09:45 AM

I've got a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, 2.7 liter truck that I keep in La Paz. The catalytic converter is going out, the truck needs a replacement.

If I go to the official Toyota repair shop in La Paz, they want $23,000 pesos to bolt in a new Toyota brand catalytic converter, parts and labor. They will not install a non-Toyota brand. If I a go to a privately owned shop, they will charge me only $2,500 pesos to cut out the old catalytic converter and weld in a "universal" catalytic converter, parts and labor.

I would like to install a catalytic converter that will be capable of passing a California DMV smog test. FWIW, that truck has about 4,000 miles on it from driving in Baja over the last 3 years on Pemex "verde" gas.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get a decent catalytic converter installed that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Curt63 - 7-27-2013 at 09:59 AM

As you probably know, it is the responsibility of the Smog Shop to inspect and verify the Cat meets ( California Air resources Board) CARB.

I would strongly recommend looking at the CARB website to verify you are purchasing the correct one

Good luck

DENNIS - 7-27-2013 at 10:04 AM

I had one stolen a few years back so I went online and got one for $125 bucks. It was a bolt-on type so my worker did just that.....bolted it on.
Thing was, in order to pass Ca Smog, it was still missing two oxygen sensors that were attached to the stolen converter, so I said screw it and registered the vehicle in south Dakota.

cabobaja - 7-27-2013 at 10:20 AM

Have Mexican plated Toyotas. I removed the catalytic converters. More miles to the gallon.

DENNIS - 7-27-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
Have Mexican plated Toyotas. I removed the catalytic converters. More miles to the gallon.

I'd have done the same thing, but I had to fill the gap with something and the converter seemed to be the easiest solution.
I was in Sharky's mid afternoon having a couple of cold ones and when I came out it was gone. I started it up and looked around thinking, "Who's making all that noise."
It was me, and it was loud.

BajaNomad - 7-27-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
If I go to the official Toyota repair shop in La Paz, they want $23,000 pesos to bolt in a new Toyota brand catalytic converter, parts and labor. They will not install a non-Toyota brand. If I a go to a privately owned shop, they will charge me only $2,500 pesos to cut out the old catalytic converter and weld in a "universal" catalytic converter, parts and labor.

I would like to install a catalytic converter that will be capable of passing a California DMV smog test.

Suggest you consider option B - at least temporarily - and if you bring the vehicle back to California and it doesn't pass smog, then have it replaced again locally (and it would still cost you less). In San Diego, an excellent resource for this is Dualtone in Pacific Beach:
http://www.dualtoneauto.com

I'm sure there are other options. Just putting this one out there.

On edit: I would be looking for an inexpensive "bolt in" option locally of course, not a "weld in" option - if at all possible.

[Edited on 7-27-2013 by BajaNomad]

DENNIS - 7-27-2013 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
[On edit: I would be looking for an inexpensive "bolt in" option locally of course, not a "weld in" option - if at all possible.

I think that will also require a welder to put in the two ends of the existing pipe to bolt to.

Maderita - 7-27-2013 at 12:19 PM

Easy option:
(Which I cannot recommend for legal liability reasons)
Remove the catalytic converter. Punch out all of the ceramic honeycomb inside. Use a long steel rod or thick rebar. Bolt or weld the gutted catalytic converter back in place. There will be no back pressure from the cat to reduce performance. From outside inspection, it will appear that it has a functioning cat.
If or when you bring it back to California, you could replace the cat, or not.
It is illegal to remove/modify the cat. If it ever comes into question, you didn't work on it yourself, nor do you have any knowledge of how the cat was gutted.

Paperwork option: (MitchMan, I see from an old thread that you already know this info)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47068&pag...

To avoid the biannual smog inspection, provide a Statement of Facts to The Calif. DMV that your vehicle is primarily garaged in Mexico. You will be exempted from the smog program and still receive your registration as usual.

"Statement of Facts" form REG 256
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

See page 10-12 of:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch10_RENEWALS.pdf

A smog certification is not required when a vehicle is located outside of California.
•The registered owner must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) or submit a letter explaining that the vehicle is located out of state.
•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:
Vehicles Located outside California
Mexico:
•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA

willardguy - 7-27-2013 at 01:08 PM

does anyone know if this can be online, or is it a stand in line?

mulegejim - 7-27-2013 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
does anyone know if this can be online, or is it a stand in line?

Not sure about online but I renew my '93 Chev PU at the Auto Club in San Clemente, CA using a "statement of fact". Quick and easy. The truck is kept in Mulege and I had the CC replaced with a straight pipe....there is a muffler of course. If you replace the CC with one that is not approved for CA for example a "49 state one" the smog shop will not pass it.

willardguy - 7-27-2013 at 01:33 PM

sweet! next time in oxnard i'll hit the tripleA. is any "proof" required that you're garaged in mexico?

Maderita - 7-27-2013 at 03:04 PM

No proof required that it is garaged in Mexico.
I mail the "Statement of Facts" form, along with my registration renewal form, to the California DMV.

mulegejim - 7-27-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
sweet! next time in oxnard i'll hit the tripleA. is any "proof" required that you're garaged in mexico?

No, however, they do require the address where the vehicle is in Mexico. I believe it must be some distance from the border but not sure how far. Mulege qualifies.....it may be a days drive but don't know for sure. Sounds like you can mail it in also. I take my FM-3 or whatever they are called now but never had to show....I also have a map of Baja so I could point out where Mulege is but again never been asked. Jim

J.P. - 7-27-2013 at 06:46 PM

I do my Ca.reg. online and they mail my new sticker to my residence in Punta Banda . takes about 45 days usually. No Smog required

Maderita - 7-27-2013 at 10:49 PM

The location in Mexico does not have to be a certain distance from the border.
The only restriction is that the garaged location cannot be in either Tijuana or Tecate.

RnR - 7-28-2013 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita
The location in Mexico does not have to be a certain distance from the border.
The only restriction is that the garaged location cannot be in either Tijuana or Tecate.

There is no specific "distance from the California border" listed in the DMV regulations. The regulations exclude locations by name. In reality, the distance is about 30 miles.

There are locations/cities listed in Nevada, also. The cities/towns of Reno, Carson City, Incline Village, Minden, and Gardernerville are also on the "do not qualify for exemption" list.

DENNIS - 7-28-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita

There are locations/cities listed in Nevada, also. The cities/towns of Reno, Carson City, Incline Village, Minden, and Gardernerville are also on the "do not qualify for exemption" list.

On the other hand, there are areas right in California that are exempt. The Alpine area in San Diego county used to be one of them. Another is/was Frazer Park up around LA. There are others.

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by DENNIS]

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 09:19 AM

how do you know it is bad? what codes are being generated? have you changed out the oxygen sensors yet? your 02 sensors are a wear item and generally fail around 100k miles. cats rarely fail. keep in mind the guy wanting to install the new one will sell the old one for $$$ scrap.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 10:04 AM

There is a definite rattling sound when I start up the car or when I am running at lower RPM ranges. I recently read that sometimes a ratting-type sound can come from loose heat shield that is either bolted onto or welded to the CAT (wherein such welds have deteriorated causing loose and rattling sound). Other times, the rattling can come from within the CAT due to broken internal ceramic components.

I don't know which of the above-mentioned sources is the actual cause of the rattling sound.

Just came back from Baja. I am considering buying an LCEngineering replacement CAT that is legal for California and bringing it back into Baja on a Volaris flight from TJ to La Paz, then having a Mexican mechanic install it. What I don't know is the situation with Oxygen sensors.

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 10:12 AM

those shields are usually for the 02 sensors. get under there and kick the cat. if it is coming apart you will hear it rattle. how many miles on this truck? you need to find out what codes are being generated.

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 10:14 AM

depending on the codes, 02 sensors are the logical place to start.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 10:30 AM

My 1998 Tacoma 2.7L 4WD regular cab has 133,500 miles on it.

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 10:35 AM

get the codes. 133k is too low for a bad cat.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 10:47 AM

Thanks, Woody. I hope that I can find a place in La Paz that can do the analysis. Hopefully the Toyota repair facility on Calle 5th de Febrero can do it.

I don't know if this matters, but I bought the truck about 3 years ago (mileage = 128,500 at the time) in the state of Washington. It had Washington license plates on it and the VIN begins with a "4".

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by MitchMan]

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 10:57 AM

in the US most auto parts stores will read the codes for free. Auto Zone, ORielly's etc. a mechanic shouldn't cost more than a few $. is your check engine light on? also have them scan for stored/pending codes.

write the codes down and start reading.

edit: i doubt the 4 amounts to anything related.

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by woody with a view]

monoloco - 7-28-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Thanks, Woody. I hope that I can find a place in La Paz that can do the analysis. Hopefully the Toyota repair facility on Calle 5th de Febrero can do it.

I don't know if this matters, but I bought the truck about 3 years ago (mileage = 128,500 at the time) in the state of Washington. It had Washington license plates on it and the VIN begins with a "4".

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by MitchMan]
Ramon at Servicio Sanchez on the corner of Mexico and Independencia is a good mechanic and has a code reader.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 11:12 AM

The check engine light has been going on...and off since I drove the truck from California to La Paz when the mileage was about 129,500 miles.

Some days it goes on and then after about 1/2 hour of driving, it sometimes will go off. Some days it doesn't go on at all.

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 11:13 AM

get the codes!!!

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 11:14 AM

my guess: 0420 or 0051. 02 sensors.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 11:18 AM

Will do, Woody. Thanks for the great advice.

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 11:21 AM

the sensors are very easy to replace. you might need to get the socket that allows the wire to not twist. amazon.com is the cheapest place on earth for them w/ free shipping. buy Denso brand - NOTHING else will work right and will give you problems. might as well change out all 4 while you are in there.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 11:23 AM

There are 4 sensors? Any insight as to whether they are all the same part number?

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 11:37 AM

i THINK the front 2 are the same and the rear 2 are the same. there are codes for bank1 sensor1 bank1 sensor2 which are front left and front right. bank2 sensor1 bank2 sensor2 rear left and rear right, or some such cryptic hogwash. if you can change spark plugs you can change these. it's about a 30 minute job for all 4. get a tube of Anti-Sieze compound and apply to the threads so they come out easier when you hit 200k.

Codes

J.P. - 7-28-2013 at 01:05 PM

If you are near Punta Banda I have a code reader that will work on anything 1996 and newer it will also reset your check engine light.

MitchMan - 7-28-2013 at 02:23 PM

Thanks, J.P.

RnR - 7-28-2013 at 02:29 PM

AutoZone in La Paz will read the codes. (And then want to sell the parts.)

There's a big sign in the window facing Forjadores. No charge to read the codes!

As Woody suggested - get the codes, write them down, do a little internet research on the code numbers, then decide on parts and a mechanic.

If the check engine light is on, there IS a trouble code stored. The computer doesn't turn on the light unless some sensor is out of range or not functioning.

The light should say "Check your codes" not "Check engine". The engine is probably still there - there's just something wrong with a sensor. :lol:

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by RnR]

woody with a view - 7-28-2013 at 02:48 PM

if it is an 02 sensor, these auto parts places won't have Denso brand. go to a toyota dealer or order online. trust me!

first, get the codes.

RnR - 7-28-2013 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
if it is an 02 sensor, these auto parts places won't have Denso brand. go to a toyota dealer or order online. trust me!

first, get the codes.

Gotta agree.

AutoZone reads the codes for free. Then, offers to sell you their part on the spot.

OEM sensors are usually preferable for the engine system's computer.

durrelllrobert - 7-30-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
depending on the codes, 02 sensors are the logical place to start.

and they do rattle

mulegejim - 7-30-2013 at 01:07 PM

If the truck is in La Paz why not just have a section of exhaust pipe with flanges on each end made to replace the CC? There are several posts above regarding registering in CA using a statement of fact....it even sounds as if you can do this online and have the registration mailed. Seems much easier and cheaper. If for some reason you want to put in a new CC at a later date the flanges will be there for a simple bolt in. Maybe I am missing something. Jim

[Edited on 7-30-2013 by mulegejim]

[Edited on 7-30-2013 by mulegejim]

chuckie - 7-30-2013 at 02:43 PM

Guess I am missing something as well....Keep it simple...

MitchMan - 7-30-2013 at 02:47 PM

mulegejim,
I don't know much about car engines these days. I understand that replacing the CAT with a straight pipe might worsen gas mileage and would certainly cause the check engine light to stay on perpetually.

The truck is registered in South Dakota.

Also, I want to leave the option open of selling the truck in my home state of California at a later date, meaning that it will have to be smog checked and registered in California. That date may come sooner rather than later if it comes to pass that holders of Residente Permanente status are only allowed to drive Mexican plated vehicles in the Baja. In that case, I would have to take my truck out of Baja as it is cost prohibitive to nationalize it in Mexico.

[Edited on 7-30-2013 by MitchMan]

mulegejim - 7-30-2013 at 05:30 PM

Mitch, makes more sense now. I replaced the CC on my 1993 Chev PU a couple of years ago with no problems. I ran new 3 1/2 inch exhaust from the headers straight to a new high flow muffler and on out the back. Seems like a little more power but most likely my imagination at work. Jim