Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Catalytic Converter
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 09:45 AM
Catalytic Converter

I've got a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, 2.7 liter truck that I keep in La Paz. The catalytic converter is going out, the truck needs a replacement.

If I go to the official Toyota repair shop in La Paz, they want $23,000 pesos to bolt in a new Toyota brand catalytic converter, parts and labor. They will not install a non-Toyota brand. If I a go to a privately owned shop, they will charge me only $2,500 pesos to cut out the old catalytic converter and weld in a "universal" catalytic converter, parts and labor.

I would like to install a catalytic converter that will be capable of passing a California DMV smog test. FWIW, that truck has about 4,000 miles on it from driving in Baja over the last 3 years on Pemex "verde" gas.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get a decent catalytic converter installed that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 09:59 AM

As you probably know, it is the responsibility of the Smog Shop to inspect and verify the Cat meets ( California Air resources Board) CARB.

I would strongly recommend looking at the CARB website to verify you are purchasing the correct one

Good luck

No worries
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 10:04 AM

I had one stolen a few years back so I went online and got one for $125 bucks. It was a bolt-on type so my worker did just that.....bolted it on.
Thing was, in order to pass Ca Smog, it was still missing two oxygen sensors that were attached to the stolen converter, so I said screw it and registered the vehicle in south Dakota.
cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 10:20 AM

Have Mexican plated Toyotas. I removed the catalytic converters. More miles to the gallon.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabobaja
Have Mexican plated Toyotas. I removed the catalytic converters. More miles to the gallon.

I'd have done the same thing, but I had to fill the gap with something and the converter seemed to be the easiest solution.
I was in Sharky's mid afternoon having a couple of cold ones and when I came out it was gone. I started it up and looked around thinking, "Who's making all that noise."
It was me, and it was loud.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
If I go to the official Toyota repair shop in La Paz, they want $23,000 pesos to bolt in a new Toyota brand catalytic converter, parts and labor. They will not install a non-Toyota brand. If I a go to a privately owned shop, they will charge me only $2,500 pesos to cut out the old catalytic converter and weld in a "universal" catalytic converter, parts and labor.

I would like to install a catalytic converter that will be capable of passing a California DMV smog test.

Suggest you consider option B - at least temporarily - and if you bring the vehicle back to California and it doesn't pass smog, then have it replaced again locally (and it would still cost you less). In San Diego, an excellent resource for this is Dualtone in Pacific Beach:
http://www.dualtoneauto.com

I'm sure there are other options. Just putting this one out there.

On edit: I would be looking for an inexpensive "bolt in" option locally of course, not a "weld in" option - if at all possible.

[Edited on 7-27-2013 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
[On edit: I would be looking for an inexpensive "bolt in" option locally of course, not a "weld in" option - if at all possible.

I think that will also require a welder to put in the two ends of the existing pipe to bolt to.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 12:19 PM

Easy option:
(Which I cannot recommend for legal liability reasons)
Remove the catalytic converter. Punch out all of the ceramic honeycomb inside. Use a long steel rod or thick rebar. Bolt or weld the gutted catalytic converter back in place. There will be no back pressure from the cat to reduce performance. From outside inspection, it will appear that it has a functioning cat.
If or when you bring it back to California, you could replace the cat, or not.
It is illegal to remove/modify the cat. If it ever comes into question, you didn't work on it yourself, nor do you have any knowledge of how the cat was gutted.

Paperwork option: (MitchMan, I see from an old thread that you already know this info)
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47068&pag...

To avoid the biannual smog inspection, provide a Statement of Facts to The Calif. DMV that your vehicle is primarily garaged in Mexico. You will be exempted from the smog program and still receive your registration as usual.

"Statement of Facts" form REG 256
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

See page 10-12 of:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch10_RENEWALS.pdf

A smog certification is not required when a vehicle is located outside of California.
•The registered owner must complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) or submit a letter explaining that the vehicle is located out of state.
•The exemption for vehicles located outside of California does not apply if the residence or mailing address of the registered owner/lessee or the address where the vehicle is garaged is in any of the following cities:
Vehicles Located outside California
Mexico:
•Tecate
•Tijuana
•Tijuana Baja CA
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 01:08 PM

does anyone know if this can be online, or is it a stand in line?
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
does anyone know if this can be online, or is it a stand in line?

Not sure about online but I renew my '93 Chev PU at the Auto Club in San Clemente, CA using a "statement of fact". Quick and easy. The truck is kept in Mulege and I had the CC replaced with a straight pipe....there is a muffler of course. If you replace the CC with one that is not approved for CA for example a "49 state one" the smog shop will not pass it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 01:33 PM

sweet! next time in oxnard i'll hit the tripleA. is any "proof" required that you're garaged in mexico?
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 03:04 PM

No proof required that it is garaged in Mexico.
I mail the "Statement of Facts" form, along with my registration renewal form, to the California DMV.
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
sweet! next time in oxnard i'll hit the tripleA. is any "proof" required that you're garaged in mexico?

No, however, they do require the address where the vehicle is in Mexico. I believe it must be some distance from the border but not sure how far. Mulege qualifies.....it may be a days drive but don't know for sure. Sounds like you can mail it in also. I take my FM-3 or whatever they are called now but never had to show....I also have a map of Baja so I could point out where Mulege is but again never been asked. Jim
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 06:46 PM

I do my Ca.reg. online and they mail my new sticker to my residence in Punta Banda . takes about 45 days usually. No Smog required
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2013 at 10:49 PM

The location in Mexico does not have to be a certain distance from the border.
The only restriction is that the garaged location cannot be in either Tijuana or Tecate.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita
The location in Mexico does not have to be a certain distance from the border.
The only restriction is that the garaged location cannot be in either Tijuana or Tecate.

There is no specific "distance from the California border" listed in the DMV regulations. The regulations exclude locations by name. In reality, the distance is about 30 miles.

There are locations/cities listed in Nevada, also. The cities/towns of Reno, Carson City, Incline Village, Minden, and Gardernerville are also on the "do not qualify for exemption" list.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita

There are locations/cities listed in Nevada, also. The cities/towns of Reno, Carson City, Incline Village, Minden, and Gardernerville are also on the "do not qualify for exemption" list.

On the other hand, there are areas right in California that are exempt. The Alpine area in San Diego county used to be one of them. Another is/was Frazer Park up around LA. There are others.

[Edited on 7-28-2013 by DENNIS]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 09:19 AM

how do you know it is bad? what codes are being generated? have you changed out the oxygen sensors yet? your 02 sensors are a wear item and generally fail around 100k miles. cats rarely fail. keep in mind the guy wanting to install the new one will sell the old one for $$$ scrap.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 10:04 AM

There is a definite rattling sound when I start up the car or when I am running at lower RPM ranges. I recently read that sometimes a ratting-type sound can come from loose heat shield that is either bolted onto or welded to the CAT (wherein such welds have deteriorated causing loose and rattling sound). Other times, the rattling can come from within the CAT due to broken internal ceramic components.

I don't know which of the above-mentioned sources is the actual cause of the rattling sound.

Just came back from Baja. I am considering buying an LCEngineering replacement CAT that is legal for California and bringing it back into Baja on a Volaris flight from TJ to La Paz, then having a Mexican mechanic install it. What I don't know is the situation with Oxygen sensors.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-28-2013 at 10:12 AM

those shields are usually for the 02 sensors. get under there and kick the cat. if it is coming apart you will hear it rattle. how many miles on this truck? you need to find out what codes are being generated.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.