BajaNomad

Costco Mexico Auto Insurance

CortezBlue - 8-7-2013 at 05:51 PM

I have always used Baja Bound for my auto insurance, however, after doing some research and checking the usual suspects,

Costco's prices came back "extreeeeemly" lower in cost??

Has anyone used Costco? Has anyone had the insurance and had to file a claim?

I am looking because I bout my new F150 EcoBoost Platnum and I want to make sure I have full coverage.

bajaguy - 8-7-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I have always used Baja Bound for my auto insurance, however, after doing some research and checking the usual suspects,

I am looking because I bout my new F150 EcoBoost Platnum and I want to make sure I have full coverage.

Sorry, don't have any info on COSTCO, but I did have to use the HDI insurance purchased through Bajabound.

Can't say enough about Geoff at Bajabound keeping on top of my claim and keeping me updated with phone calls and e-mails, and HDI really doing a great job in selecting the body shop (AutoCarr in Ensenada) and being there to ensure everything was done to my satisfaction......and continue to check back with me to make sure I am happy.

I was also impressed that the HDI adjustor who spoke English was there before the dust settled and handled everything with the local police and the local tow company.

Nope, there may be places where you can get or pay less for insurance, but for my money, I'll stick with Bajabound........

YMMV

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by bajaguy]

tjsue - 8-7-2013 at 06:32 PM

I used to have US insurance through Costco (Ameriprise), and didn't like them at all. Their customer service was lousy. I just checked Costco Mexican Insurance, and for my Astrovan, it's higher than BajaBound, so I'm going with BajaBound.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by tjsue]

gnukid - 8-7-2013 at 06:57 PM

CA DMV accepts a Baja address as an exemption from smog and many road taxes as well accepts Mexican policies as proof of insurance. As I noted I have been doing this for a dcade and it's been accepted at any DMV. This is valid for every place in Baja except TJ and Tecate.

If you enter your baja address for your vehicle when you register you are automatically exempt from smog and you may use a Mexican driver's liability policy total cost under $100 as evidence of FR (financial Responsibilty), of course you can opt for more insurance and I do maintain two policies with high personal injury coverage but the costs are low overall. The costa go up for new cars and full coverage. Note there are cases noted below where cases re also exempt from reporting FR.

DMV Chapter 10 Financial Responsibilty

Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.
• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • V ehicles registered under planned non-operation status

willardguy - 8-7-2013 at 07:20 PM

couple weeks ago I got a quote from ameriprise that was way lower than geico( this was for u.s. ins.). did not know they offered mexico ins. same company?

MitchMan - 8-7-2013 at 08:21 PM

Great post gnukid. Spot on.

To get a Mexican residence policy, well, you have to be a Mexican resident meaning not an FMM holder, but either a Residente Temporal or a Residente Permanente holder with a physical Mexican residence.

The Catch 22 is the issue/controversy hovering over the Residente Permanente status and its ultimate resolution as to whether or not a Residente Permanente holder can legally drive his US Plated/registered vehicle in the Baja.

If it should fall out that an RP cannot legally drive his US plated/registered vehicle in the Baja, the question is whether or not the insurance company will decline to pay a claim in the event of an accident claiming the policy only pays on legally driven vehicles. Just because they issued you a policy doesn't mean that they are barred from declining to pay a claim on this basis.

gnukid - 8-7-2013 at 09:00 PM

Mitch,

Understand you are concerned about a hypothetical future decision, at that time you can respond with a solution, for example, keep your USA plate and get a local annual circulation permit, import or buy an imported car or change your permanent residency card in-all are solutions to your hypothetical non-problem. Perhaps hold off worrying until something happens and when it does respond. I read the reports and the law and will be sure to share any actual info if/when omething happens, it's not going to happen now because MX wants Californian's money to invest in business and real estate and trouism and they don't want some laws that encourage crazy cops to harrass every gringo. If you noticed lately cops don't bug gringos much at all at least in the south.

Keep in mind you are not alone, certainly the goals will be to make people have some form of registration, gain fees from car owners and provide for periodic inspection to reduce the number of vehicles that don't have all the parts to drive on the road. (There are roll over deaths up and down the transpenisular every day in cars that should not be driving on the freeway).

BTW there are others scenarios as well, people have the right to travel, you can drive around the world and ship your car as pass through countries but to remain in one spot you must eventually confrom to the local customs. You can get a temp permit in both CA and Baja that will suffice any specialized vehicle scenario today.

Many people say CA DMV is restrictive but once I read the rules and showed them to the DMV then I followed them my costs went way down, registration from my cars is about $75 annual and ins is about $75 for a car that can drive from CA to MX! My CA DMV reg comes to house in mexico, stickers too-no problem.

More to the point, I bought ins recently and read the policies carefully, Costco ins polices vary by the options you select, read the entire policy to understadn limitations, I usually buy multiple policies to cover all scenarios for example a drivers license policy in case I get in some friends car to move it and get hit and need my own policy, plus general liability and extra third party money to the extent you think you can afford it. Most of us don't realize we have many ins policies already in effect when you use certain services, toll roads, rentals, cc purchases, etc.

Make multiple copies of the polices plus copies of your reg, visa, dlinfo and put them in a sealed plastic bag in the cars plus make a packet to go in case you go on a trip in someone else car and suddenly find yourself driving and one set on line. In case of trouble you pull out the complete packet and hand it over. Or you can negotiate and pay cash immediately for damage to other vehicles if you would like quick resolution.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by gnukid]

monoloco - 8-7-2013 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

I used the Costco insurance a few years ago, and I actually had a claim on the policy. I don't remember what company they contract with, but they sent an adjuster right out who sent me to the Ford body shop in La Paz for repair. They covered a top notch repair using OEM parts. I had absolutely no problem at all.

CortezBlue - 8-7-2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
CA DMV accepts a Baja address as an exemption from smog and many road taxes as well accepts Mexican policies as proof of insurance. As I noted I have been doing this for a dcade and it's been accepted at any DMV. This is valid for every place in Baja except TJ and Tecate.

If you enter your baja address for your vehicle when you register you are automatically exempt from smog and you may use a Mexican driver's liability policy total cost under $100 as evidence of FR (financial Responsibilty), of course you can opt for more insurance and I do maintain two policies with high personal injury coverage but the costs are low overall. The costa go up for new cars and full coverage. Note there are cases noted below where cases re also exempt from reporting FR.

DMV Chapter 10 Financial Responsibilty

Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.
• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • V ehicles registered under planned non-operation status

Great info if you live in California, but I am in AZ, so totally off subject for me??

gnukid - 8-7-2013 at 10:20 PM

Cortez Blue

Note, look up the insurance requirements (Financial Responsibilty) for your state DMV and read it carefully, to see what solutions apply.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

Go to http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp

Read where it says you must have mandatory AZ insurance to register then you can de-insure until you plan to drive in the state again without invoking a suspension on the registration.

Insure it for the registeation period then de-insure and maintain a MX policy such as a costco drivers license policy depending on your needs and scenario, read the policies carefully. If you choose the cheapest option and read the FAQ you see if it covers the basics without a AZ policy in effect and then you can increase from there-you'll need to do your homework. You can also buy your insurance in mexico.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by gnukid]

Bob and Susan - 8-8-2013 at 05:29 AM

also remember Costco vagabundos lewis and lewis and Bajabound are NOT insurance companies

they sell OTHER peoples insurance

Costco could sell another companies insurance at any time

you really need to compare apples to apples

I really like bajabound because you can call them and
talk to a real person that has an "interest" in Baja

remember here in mexico the MOST important part
of the police is the lawyer part...
you go to jail first if you get in a deadly accident

DavidE - 8-8-2013 at 11:00 AM

You go to the jail if you have a SERIOUS accident. Even a lone driver (you) in your own car, running off the road, damaging nothing. Draw blood and it ain't like bending a fender. Get into a choque with ten thousand pesos worth of damage and it's to the bote you go. You can scratch the finish of a wealthy or influential Mexican's car and off you go - to the can. Have an accident with a highway patrolman's car, or Policia Municipal and it's adios. Same for a choque with a military vehicle.

"Going to la commandancia" does not mean going to prison. It means going to the Police station and staying there until the Ministerio Publico decides whether or not to prosecute. Then after that decision you may end up in the state prison until things are settled.

This is where having an aggressive and effective SURPLUS LINE BROKER can make you or break you. A billion peso liability coverage is useless unless an abogado representing you steps up to the plate and works FAST (to get you released) is vital. Spending a dozen hours in a commandania wondering if your SURPLUS LINE BROKER ever got ahold of your Mexican insurance company and they in turn got ahold of an abogado - ain't where it's at. You get tossed in with drunks, gang members and other pillars of society.

So a Platinum Grade Policy ain't worth STINK if you don't get help FAST. Your company's abogado has to get to the Ministerio Publico FAST and likewise do some fancy footwork to secure your release.

I've had to try and help friends and strangers alike. Just having "liability coverage" IS NOT ENOUGH! Serious cases often take months to settle and until the Ministerio Publico has cash in hand, the only thing you're likely to see are four high white walls and food fit for a buzzard. It ain't pretty.

sancho - 8-8-2013 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
also remember Costco vagabundos lewis and lewis and Bajabound are NOT insurance companies

I have the belief that the Mex Ins Co is FAR more important
than the US Broker, they pay the claim not the Broker.
An item that has been brought up, as of last Jan 1, the
payout in the event of an at fault traffic dearh has risen
in Mex, the Mex states have somewhat different limits,
Bajabound recommends to get the max of $500,000 libility,
maybe overkill, however one of the San Diego brokers said they
remember only 1 incident of one of their policy holders
having been at fault in such an accident, but I can think
of little worse than come up short on coverage

DavidE - 8-8-2013 at 12:37 PM

Too many Mexican insurance companies reflect service EXACTLY to the amount of pressure exerted on them by the surplus line broker. No repeat phone calls, no pressure...

"No Sirve"

All's it takes is ONE WEAK LINK in the chain and the insured is in for one hell of an unpleasant experience. Multi Billion dollar ten star AAAAAAAAAA++++++++ rated financially. Adjuster drives a new Lexus. But if they do not show up, all that ain't worth a ball of spit.

Like being robbed at gunpoint by a robber high on bath salts. Your city has ten thousand cops, armed with Abrams tanks and bazookas, and you get a busy signal.

vandy - 8-8-2013 at 01:57 PM

Remember, Dah-Veed, "Jesus LOVES you!"

Just don't wanna hear that in a Mexican prison...

DavidE - 8-8-2013 at 02:23 PM

What you REALLY don't want to hear is

Puta Bonita Mio

bajagrouper - 8-8-2013 at 03:38 PM

DavidE, do you know of any tourist that has gone to jail after an accident...

I hit a young man on a motorcycle, he flew one way, the bike flew another way and my brand new VW camper van rolled 4 times down a ravine and was totaled...
Highway patrolman called tow truck co and was towed into town, my wife and I were put into a very nice hotel where we were basically held under house arrest, no prison,no jail just a great restaurant and cool pool.......

P.S. David how are the pickles doing?

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by bajagrouper]

MMc - 8-8-2013 at 04:11 PM

I know and helped out 2 people that were being held until the adjuster finished the paper work. Both were at fault, One was held in S Q. for 3 days. The other was held in La Paz for 36 hours.
I now always get full coverage with Baja Bound or Discover Baja. It Keeps the family happy they have somebody to call. It would not help much but it makes them feel better.:tumble::rolleyes::tumble:

DavidE - 8-8-2013 at 04:13 PM

Go to Fred metcalf's site, find the KITTO accident. Read it and be aware that was and is reality. I have had to over the years help to fish out six or seven gringos who were jailed that HAD insurance. I lost track.

If you are looking for data concerning the number of INSURED gringo motorists jailed then imprisoned, I suggest you contact Mr. jim Lewis at Lewis & Lewis. The last INSURED person I saw in jail was in Zihuatanejo. Like everyone else we was awaiting help from his insurance company.

One was an RV'er in Villahermosa who was utterly STOPPED at a red light. A boy came along and slammed into the side of his rig while riding on a bicycle. The cops took the driver to jail to sort things out. I spent from 10 AM to god knows PM trying to motivate the adjuster to get his fat behind out of his chair and down to the jail. The family of the 10-year old insisted they were going to press charges unless "someone" covered the hospital bills. Of course there were administrative fees and fines to be paid.

No it isn't fair. It's not even sane. So I sure as hell am not going to try and defend such a system. It exists. Quite a number of Surplus Line Brokers and I have spent visiting time shaking our head at the utter lack of reliable information and data available meaning written about this. It exists. Proponents of tourism who make a buck don't want this to scare away prospective clients, so being jailed for an accident won't be found in their sales hype.

I encourage anyone who has their curiosity raised by this issue to call their Surplus Line Broker and discuss it with them. "Only a few sticks out of the entire case detonated" does not cut it in my book. This is too serious an issue to misunderstand. You lucked out. Others aren't as lucky. I pray to god I do not have to experience this myself.

willardguy - 8-8-2013 at 04:47 PM

I wouldn't fret david, after a couple of hours of non stop yarn spinning, you'd be on the street!:lol:

chuckie - 8-8-2013 at 04:54 PM

Selling pickles? FYI: I'll be making B&B pickles this week..lotsa small pepinos in town...Pickles will be uninsured

Good point

Bajahowodd - 8-8-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

I have the belief that the Mex Ins Co is FAR more important
than the US Broker, they pay the claim not the Broker.
An item that has been brought up, as of last Jan 1, the
payout in the event of an at fault traffic dearh has risen
in Mex, the Mex states have somewhat different limits,
Bajabound recommends to get the max of $500,000 libility,
maybe overkill, however one of the San Diego brokers said they
remember only 1 incident of one of their policy holders
having been at fault in such an accident, but I can think
of little worse than come up short on coverage

This thread began talking about the cost of insurance. And the simple fact is that it is the insurance carriers that control their coverage and cost.

A point was made about having brokers who "influence" the carriers. That only goes so far. And, at the end of the day, it is still the Mexican Insurance companies that set rates and settle claims.

gnukid - 8-8-2013 at 09:17 PM

DavidE definitely watch out for dehydrstion or low sugar, it is the primary cause of mental crashing!

Speaking From Experience Are We?

DavidE - 8-9-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
I wouldn't fret david, after a couple of hours of non stop yarn spinning, you'd be on the street!:lol:

Keep it up, you're making my day :)

MitchMan - 8-9-2013 at 11:10 AM

DavidE and MMc,
At this point, what is of interest to me is, which, in your opinion and based on your observations, which insurance brokers provide the policies, best broker follow up, and fast/timely attention with the requisite adjusters and abogados being launched onto the situation?

DavidE, I believe that your assessment is real and most likely generally correct, so, with that as the premise, which brokers might you recommend based on your experience and observations?

MMc, you mentioned Discover Baja and Bajabound. I have read in past posts glowing reviews by nomads of Lewis and Lewis. I have Lewis and Lewis, I used to be with Discover Baja.

The apprehension I have is that the Lewis and Lewis insurance co is Qualitas which, in the past, has been criticized by nomads as a carrier much more concerned with getting out of paying a claim than settling it. I called Lewis and Lewis and they gave me verbal assertions/assurances that their experience with Qualitas has been very good and that they (Lewis and Lewis) actively stay on and follow through with Qualitas to make sure that their inusured's claim are resolved in a timely and proper fashion.

Is there any corroboration out there in nomadland about Lewis and Lewis, and, Qualitas on this?

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by MitchMan]

DENNIS - 8-9-2013 at 11:45 AM

Another common carrier her is MAPFRE TEPEYAC. I've seen their response in action and it was good. [this is not a recommendation. Only an observation]

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by DENNIS]

DavidE - 8-9-2013 at 11:52 AM

Personally IMHO, I like what Jim Lewis says. He is a realist and not a blah-blah surplus line borker policy hawk like some others. I checked with one of his insured that had real problems in Baja California, and they replied that Lewis remained in constant contact with the Mexican insurance company in Tijuana (like every couple of hours) by telephone to get his insured released as fast as possible.

I am not a spokesperson for Lewis & Lewis but I am convinced this is how a surplus line broker should treat their customers. Like a performance standard.

Being hauled into a Police Station is scary. When they tell you you can NOT go to an ATM it gets worse. Unless you speak very fluent Spanish the barrage of language is intimidating. Suddenly you may be lead to a cell. CLANK! It isn't funny. Different Ministerios Publicos treat drivers involved in serious accidents differently. Some are more lenient than others. I don't want to find out the hard way which is which.

Some cops are more honest than others. If a driver should encounter a real creep, and the representative of the Ministerio Publico is similarly interested solely in "Milking The Cow" a driver can be in for a hell of a nightmare.

Let's say a driver gets involved in a serious choque. Lots of property damage, personal injury and perhaps a fatality. The driver can go to jail until the Ministerio Publico makes up the paperwork. After a day or two in jail, the driver is moved to a PRISON. Yeah one of those huge enclosures with the guard towers on the corners. And no this isn't a one-in-a-hundred chance. You can damned near count on being transferred to a prison whether you are "guilty" or not. Only a fool will think this cannot happen.

In a major accident, hurt or not, DEMAND to go to the hospital. Back injury, whatever. Fake it. Cannot support your own weight. Have to crawl. Whatever. LIE LIKE HELL! Avoid prison.

Pray that you have an aggressive adjuster and surplus line broker. When you run out of bullets in the hospital they haul you to a cell. Wanna play Russian Roulette that you have a real jerk of a Ministerio Publico after you? They are not noted for being honest. They are going to MILK the situation and they are experts. The only thing that gets his attention is your insurance company LAWYER, screaming and waving a check book. If your lawyer isn't there you are SCREWED, bro'. The process for resolving an administrative fine is complex. If you are made of money AND HAVE SOME WAY OF GETTING A BUDDY TO BRING IT TO THE MINISTERIO PUBLICO, you can take it in the shorts and get a Get Out Of Jail (not free) Card. Local abogados are just as bad as the District Attorney, they are in it to milk the cow until it shrivels like a raisin.

I am not any kind of "expert" in knowing which insurance companies may be the best and 2nd best and so on. What I do know is if whatever insurance company and surplus line broker chosen is lazy or lackadaisical, you are in for a trip deeper into Mexico than you'd ever wish to go.

SETTLEMENTS often take many weeks or many months to happen. Having a million dollar policy is USELESS to me if I remain in prison for those months while the Insurance company haggles out a settlement. The instant money to get released is provided by a general fund amongst USA surplus line brokers. It is NOT money from the Mexican insurance company or the attorney or the adjuster.

Do You Feel Lucky?

I Don't.

I STRONGLY suggest a person contact a surplus line broker to verify what I have written above. Don't settle for hyperbole. If you get a song & dance check with Lewis and Lewis. They will not steer you wrong.

sancho - 8-9-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
The apprehension I have is that the Lewis and Lewis insurance co is Qualitas which, in the past, has been criticized by nomads as a carrier much more concerned with getting out of paying a claim than settling it [Edited on 8-9-2013 by MitchMan]

I have that nagging opinion also, no real list of negatives
re: Qualitis, just posts SUGGESTING things don't always
go as advertised when someone has a claim against
Qualitis. And as DE points out, the Kitto accident on
Fred's website, for anyone that has never read it
your missing a thrller, similiar to the movie about the
guy escaping the Turkish prison, Kitto at the
time of his release, was being processed to enter the
prison east of Ensenada, due to the fact a representive/
adjuster/ Legal Aid from his Mex Ins Co, had not made
an appareance to satisfy the Mex Authorities

DavidE - 8-9-2013 at 12:44 PM

I thought this discussion was focusing on HOW the Surplus Line Broker works with the Mexican Insurance Company. Kitto according to Vagabundos and Lewis did NOT have anything other than basic liability coverage. This is the key. That "missing" legal aid package. It allows the adjuster to step in right away and get the accused released on bond.

"I have a quintillion peso quadruple mega amplified policy" is laughed at by the authorities. Until they and the plaintiff sees stacks of dead Mexican heroes on the table before them, the defendant and his pleas falls on DEAF ears.

Want to lose a hundred pounds? Dine on the diet inside a Mexican prison. Ninety percent of the inmates have family bring them food daily.

Want to make a Surplus Line Broker Stutter?

"If I am guilty in a serious accident will you provide to me a WRITTEN GUARANTEE that I will be released from jail within 5 days?"

Being released early has ZERO to do with the Mexican Insurance Company. It is all due to and based upon the SPEED of your Surplus line broker's attorney coming to the rescue. With the SURPLUS LINE BROKER'S MONEY not the insurance company's.

Insurance

J.P. - 8-9-2013 at 12:46 PM

My personal experience with insurance is Limited I have always had it and luckily haven't used it much. I do remember when I had my first car my father specified as a condition of purchasing that vehicle I get insurance. the first and only time I used the insurance they canceled the policy. this made my father so mad he canceled his policy. The agent was a fellow church member and family friend. the point I am trying to make is I don't think there is a lot of difference in Company's it's if the Agency that sold you the policy doesn't stand behind you. you don't have very good protection.

BajaRun - 8-9-2013 at 01:07 PM

I have not had to file a claim yet on my Mex Driver License Policy. I went with Bajabound because if I ever do have a claim the first person I will probably call is Geoff. Now if I'm in jail then I will call Geoff at a later time, and my first call will be to BajaButch to bring a very big stack of money down and get me out.

DavidE you seem to know of what you write and I agree 100%. Money talks Loud and Clear !!!

DavidE - 8-9-2013 at 01:23 PM

Yeah being an eyewitness to what happens sorta takes the bloom off the rose of ignorant bliss. Speaking Spanish elected me to involuntarily step forward those times I pitched in and went to bat for hapless tourists. Because of my health I cannot do it anymore. Screaming at a Surplus Line Broker via a caseta de larga distancia

"Are You Stupid?"

is now out of the question.

In my opinion the Mexican adjusters are getting a lot better and getting way faster. But Mexican iron bars are every bit as scary. U.S. Consulates? Oh gimmee a break. "Give me an hour or so and I'll come up with a list of recommended attorneys. Click"

MMc - 8-9-2013 at 03:45 PM

Mitchman, We have used both and not made a claim. Mostly they are used so family "feels" comfortable that they have a American company that they can call. Lewis & Lewis would also fit my bill. The legal option also always purchased. I don't mind paying extra for the services as when I need them, I really need them. Baja Bound and Discover have always been very good when I have purchased and they are well mentioned on the boards. Who would you call at Costco? Just staying inside a comfort zone.

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by MMc]

DavidE - 8-10-2013 at 10:02 AM

MMc, full and complete agreement from me. If the surplus line broker "goes to bat" for the insured, that is so important. Again, in a serious accident, "Liability Only (minus the legal assistance option) is near useless.

tripledigitken - 8-10-2013 at 10:15 AM

I think the point has been made, get the legal assis rider. I doubt many here opt not to get it. Then I could be wrong on that.

edit...

Personal note on Lewis and Lewis.

A few years ago I was price checking against Discover Baja and called Lewis and Lewis, I spent all day calling without a call back. Rightly or wrongly, came to the conclusion if they can't even be responsive to sell their product, what can I expect from them in servicing it. We have stayed with Discover Baja, though we have never had a claim.

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by tripledigitken]

sancho - 8-10-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Selling pickles? FYI: I'll be making B&B pickles this week..lotsa small pepinos in town...Pickles will be uninsured

Good idea, a roadside tienda selling pickles, can I get
a legal aid rider with my 2 kilos? My experience is that
for the last many yrs., in MOST cases, the legal aid comes
with the Mex Ins Policy, you can hardly get one without
it, there are so few cases, like nada, reported on with
dealings with the Mex System re: Mex Auto Ins incident
outcomes, it is hard to get a handle on waht actually
happens

DavidE - 8-10-2013 at 01:12 PM

Wanna handle? Check with a US consular office? They visit the incarcerated. Finally after too many years Surplus Line Brokers are demanding policies have automatic legal aid.

Chuckie needs a pickle. Anyone care to give Chuckie a pickle? Sounds like he's desperate.

monoloco - 8-10-2013 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
. Who would you call at Costco?

Qualitas was the underwriter when I had the insurance from Costco. I hit a cow between Pescadero and CSL, when I got back to Pescadero, I called the number on the policy and an adjuster came out to my home within an hour. It couldn't have been any easier.

willardguy - 8-10-2013 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

Qualitas was the underwriter when I had the insurance from Costco. I hit a cow between Pescadero and CSL, when I got back to Pescadero, I called the number on the policy and an adjuster came out to my home within an hour. It couldn't have been any easier.
what was the outcome? does the insurance company pay for the cow?

DavidE - 8-10-2013 at 02:25 PM

I wish getting medical accident insurance was that easy.

Having a list with telephone numbers and city of residence of company adjusters would be a bonus for an auto policy. Maybe not very up to date but better than nothing.

monoloco - 8-10-2013 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc

what was the outcome? does the insurance company pay for the cow?
Actually, the owner of the cow is supposed to be liable. The adjuster sent me to the body shop of the Ford dealer in La Paz and they repaired it with a new OEM bumper. The total cost of the repair was 14,000 pesos. Of course I was out of pocket the $500 deductible.

BajaGeoff - 8-12-2013 at 04:14 PM

DavidE.....Just curious....based upon my 10+ years of work experience in Mexican insurance, I have never heard of Surplus Lines Brokers being responsible for providing attorneys for their clients and paying for their legal fees. In my experience that is the duty of the Mexican insurance company that you have contracted the policy with - provided that you bought a policy with legal assistance included. If you have an accident, you need to call the number on your policy to reach the claims center of the company you are insured with to get the process started. These claims centers are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your Surplus Lines Broker's office is not open 24/7/365....so if you call them at 10PM on a Saturday looking for legal help after an accident in Mexico you are barking up the wrong tree.

Here is how it works with the companies we represent:

In the event of an accident you call the claims center open of the Mexican insurance company you are insured with and they will send out an adjuster from their network, which extends throughout the entire country of Mexico. Once the adjuster is on the scene they will make the determination of whether or not a lawyer is needed. It is completely dependent on the severity of the accident. If deemed necessary, they will call their "go-to" law firm to have a lawyer come represent you. The amount of legal expenses that is covered varies from company to company, so check to see how much coverage you currently buy. The companies we work with provide the following:

ACE Seguros and Mapfre Tepeyac cover up to $30,000 US
HDI Seguros matches up to the amount of liability on the policy...so if you have $150,000 in liability, they would cover up to $150,000 US in legal fees.

I dealt with this in person when a friend of mine struck a man trying to run across the toll road north of Ensenada a few years ago. An ambulance and Federales were on the scene quickly and took the injured man away (he was very lucky and was not severely injured). We followed the Federales back to Ensenada and called HDI Seguros, who my friend was insured through....with legal assistance coverage included. They sent an adjuster out right away, who then called for a lawyer as soon as he learned of the situation. After a few hours of getting the paperwork sorted out at the police station, my friend was taken to the Ministerio Publico with the lawyer to determine if he was at fault. Since it was not his fault he was free to go. All things told, it took about six hours from the time the accident occurred to the time we were back on the road. All legal expenses were covered by HDI per his insurance policy.

Now if you have an accident and call our office, we will be more than happy to help in any way we can to keep the claims process moving forward and connect you with the appropriate parties. We do that all the time and work very closely with the heads of the Mexican insurance companies that we represent. Nomads bajaguy and TecateRay can attest to that, as they are Baja Bound clients and I worked with both of them very closely after they had accidents and their claims were being processed.

The bottom line...regardless of who you get insurance from, definitely get a policy with legal assistance included. And yes...all policies Baja Bound writes automatically come with legal aid and bail bond included.

Safe travels and ‘Viva Baja!

MMc - 8-12-2013 at 05:28 PM

Wow, Geoff, Thank you! When I have helped out friends that have had incidents the families usually have no idea as to whom they can call and are left feeling helpless. It is a comfort to have tangible person that they can call. It doesn't change what has to happen, it just bring some calm before the storm.

DavidE - 8-13-2013 at 02:44 PM

The FUNDING for the bail, administrative fines, and other costs was instituted by the Surplus Line Brokers. The Mexican insurance companies thought the idea was nuts. Yes the company provides the abogado. But I have seen abogados go on vacation, the backup attorney got kicked out of his house by his old lady and the process of securing an attorney would lose steam unless the broker kept hammering away at the Mexican insurance company.

I hope after seeing Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey for five decades that things are changing. But I can tell you for a fact, I waited SEVEN HOURS in downtown Lazaro Card##as, Michoacan for an adjuster to show up because the surplus line broker would not spend the money for more than ONE SINGLE international phone call. My calls to Mexico City were shunted to the janitor I guess. Needless to say, when I had a chance I freakin' melted the phone wires to the broker. They are now out of business I guess. They never were a major. I spent TWO DAYS near Valle de Bravo waiting for an adjuster to show up or a pair of ladies who got rear-ended really bad by a Bimbo truck. This is a THREE HOUR one hand on the steering wheel drive from Mexico City. The jerk policias municipales were trying to extort money from the women. I captured their voices, ID and everything on my shirt pocket digital voice recorder. When the PFP finally arrived, I let them listen to the recording and the PFP had a short ugly conversation with the municipios. The accident happened on a tramo federal de SCT and the feds were not amused. The locals hauled asssss let me tell ya.

An accident victim sees the adjuster and the abogado if necessary. He does not see the company president or the advertising department. If the field boys fall on their face, having a surplus line broker following through can make the difference between a really bad day and a hell of a less bad day. I do hope things are changing. Some states are requiring liability and I can only hope this means a sea change in customer service.

sancho - 8-13-2013 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff

ACE Seguros and Mapfre Tepeyac cover up to $30,000 US
HDI Seguros matches up to the amount of liability on the policy...so if you have $150,000 in liability, they would cover up to $150,000 US in legal

I just noticed this difference in Legal Fee coverage on the 2
major Co's, HDI, which my reading seems to be responsive
to situations, and ACE, which I know nothing about.
As posted, HDI runs their Legal Coverage up to the limit of
libility on one's ploicy, to $500,000, while ACE covers a set amount of $30,000, although I can't imagine legal fees ever reaching $30,000, few things in Mex ever seem clear, simple
to understand, constant or logical