Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Costco Mexico Auto Insurance
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 05:51 PM
Costco Mexico Auto Insurance

I have always used Baja Bound for my auto insurance, however, after doing some research and checking the usual suspects,

Costco's prices came back "extreeeeemly" lower in cost??

Has anyone used Costco? Has anyone had the insurance and had to file a claim?

I am looking because I bout my new F150 EcoBoost Platnum and I want to make sure I have full coverage.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I have always used Baja Bound for my auto insurance, however, after doing some research and checking the usual suspects,

I am looking because I bout my new F150 EcoBoost Platnum and I want to make sure I have full coverage.

Sorry, don't have any info on COSTCO, but I did have to use the HDI insurance purchased through Bajabound.

Can't say enough about Geoff at Bajabound keeping on top of my claim and keeping me updated with phone calls and e-mails, and HDI really doing a great job in selecting the body shop (AutoCarr in Ensenada) and being there to ensure everything was done to my satisfaction......and continue to check back with me to make sure I am happy.

I was also impressed that the HDI adjustor who spoke English was there before the dust settled and handled everything with the local police and the local tow company.

Nope, there may be places where you can get or pay less for insurance, but for my money, I'll stick with Bajabound........

YMMV

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by bajaguy]

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 06:32 PM

I used to have US insurance through Costco (Ameriprise), and didn't like them at all. Their customer service was lousy. I just checked Costco Mexican Insurance, and for my Astrovan, it's higher than BajaBound, so I'm going with BajaBound.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by tjsue]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 06:57 PM

CA DMV accepts a Baja address as an exemption from smog and many road taxes as well accepts Mexican policies as proof of insurance. As I noted I have been doing this for a dcade and it's been accepted at any DMV. This is valid for every place in Baja except TJ and Tecate.

If you enter your baja address for your vehicle when you register you are automatically exempt from smog and you may use a Mexican driver's liability policy total cost under $100 as evidence of FR (financial Responsibilty), of course you can opt for more insurance and I do maintain two policies with high personal injury coverage but the costs are low overall. The costa go up for new cars and full coverage. Note there are cases noted below where cases re also exempt from reporting FR.

DMV Chapter 10 Financial Responsibilty

Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.
• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • V ehicles registered under planned non-operation status
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 07:20 PM

couple weeks ago I got a quote from ameriprise that was way lower than geico( this was for u.s. ins.). did not know they offered mexico ins. same company?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 08:21 PM

Great post gnukid. Spot on.

To get a Mexican residence policy, well, you have to be a Mexican resident meaning not an FMM holder, but either a Residente Temporal or a Residente Permanente holder with a physical Mexican residence.

The Catch 22 is the issue/controversy hovering over the Residente Permanente status and its ultimate resolution as to whether or not a Residente Permanente holder can legally drive his US Plated/registered vehicle in the Baja.

If it should fall out that an RP cannot legally drive his US plated/registered vehicle in the Baja, the question is whether or not the insurance company will decline to pay a claim in the event of an accident claiming the policy only pays on legally driven vehicles. Just because they issued you a policy doesn't mean that they are barred from declining to pay a claim on this basis.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 09:00 PM

Mitch,

Understand you are concerned about a hypothetical future decision, at that time you can respond with a solution, for example, keep your USA plate and get a local annual circulation permit, import or buy an imported car or change your permanent residency card in-all are solutions to your hypothetical non-problem. Perhaps hold off worrying until something happens and when it does respond. I read the reports and the law and will be sure to share any actual info if/when omething happens, it's not going to happen now because MX wants Californian's money to invest in business and real estate and trouism and they don't want some laws that encourage crazy cops to harrass every gringo. If you noticed lately cops don't bug gringos much at all at least in the south.

Keep in mind you are not alone, certainly the goals will be to make people have some form of registration, gain fees from car owners and provide for periodic inspection to reduce the number of vehicles that don't have all the parts to drive on the road. (There are roll over deaths up and down the transpenisular every day in cars that should not be driving on the freeway).

BTW there are others scenarios as well, people have the right to travel, you can drive around the world and ship your car as pass through countries but to remain in one spot you must eventually confrom to the local customs. You can get a temp permit in both CA and Baja that will suffice any specialized vehicle scenario today.

Many people say CA DMV is restrictive but once I read the rules and showed them to the DMV then I followed them my costs went way down, registration from my cars is about $75 annual and ins is about $75 for a car that can drive from CA to MX! My CA DMV reg comes to house in mexico, stickers too-no problem.

More to the point, I bought ins recently and read the policies carefully, Costco ins polices vary by the options you select, read the entire policy to understadn limitations, I usually buy multiple policies to cover all scenarios for example a drivers license policy in case I get in some friends car to move it and get hit and need my own policy, plus general liability and extra third party money to the extent you think you can afford it. Most of us don't realize we have many ins policies already in effect when you use certain services, toll roads, rentals, cc purchases, etc.

Make multiple copies of the polices plus copies of your reg, visa, dlinfo and put them in a sealed plastic bag in the cars plus make a packet to go in case you go on a trip in someone else car and suddenly find yourself driving and one set on line. In case of trouble you pull out the complete packet and hand it over. Or you can negotiate and pay cash immediately for damage to other vehicles if you would like quick resolution.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by gnukid]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

I used the Costco insurance a few years ago, and I actually had a claim on the policy. I don't remember what company they contract with, but they sent an adjuster right out who sent me to the Ford body shop in La Paz for repair. They covered a top notch repair using OEM parts. I had absolutely no problem at all.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
CA DMV accepts a Baja address as an exemption from smog and many road taxes as well accepts Mexican policies as proof of insurance. As I noted I have been doing this for a dcade and it's been accepted at any DMV. This is valid for every place in Baja except TJ and Tecate.

If you enter your baja address for your vehicle when you register you are automatically exempt from smog and you may use a Mexican driver's liability policy total cost under $100 as evidence of FR (financial Responsibilty), of course you can opt for more insurance and I do maintain two policies with high personal injury coverage but the costs are low overall. The costa go up for new cars and full coverage. Note there are cases noted below where cases re also exempt from reporting FR.

DMV Chapter 10 Financial Responsibilty

Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37)
• All insurance companies licensed to do business in California are required to electronically report insurance information for all private-use vehicle liability policies.
• Commercial insurance policies and alternative forms of financial responsibility are not reported electronically.
If the renewal notice requests evidence of financial responsibility, the electronic insurance is not on file and evidence must be submitted.
The following are acceptable for registration renewal:
• A document or insurance card from an insurance company indicating that the vehicle is insured.
• An insurance document or ID card from Canada. • A Mexico resident insurance policy, only if:
— the vehicle record shows a residence address in Mexico, or
— the owner changes his/her residence address to an address in Mexico, and completes a Statement of Facts (REG 256) that certifies he/she is a resident of Mexico and gives his/her Mexico residence address. The Statement of Facts must be submitted with the renewal.
• A DMV authorization letter for cash depositors or self insurers. • A photocopy of a current Surety Bond.
Non-receipt of Renewal Notice
Acceptable FR for renewals
NOTE: A Mexican resident insurance policy will be labeled as such or will indicate that it is only valid for coverage of Mexican residents; it is not valid if the insured is not a Mexican resident. A “travel” policy which does not contain residency restrictions cannot be used as evidence of financial responsibility.
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
Page 10–8
RENEWALS
Financial Responsibility (CVC §4000.37), continued
• A California Proof of Insurance Certificate (SR 22) for broad coverage or owner’s policy. An operator’s policy does not satisfy financial responsibility.
• Evidence that the vehicle is owned or leased by a public entity defined in Government Code §826.2.
• Motor Carriers as defined in CVC §34601 may complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) indicating that the carrier has evidence of insurance on file with the Public Utilities Commission or DMV pursuant to CVC §34630.
Although CVC §16058 requires electronic reporting of private-use automobile liability policies to the department, commercial or business insurance carriers are exempt.
• Commercial/business insurance policies are normally issued to an applicant registering a vehicle as one of the following:
— Company, Co, Corporation, or Corp. — Incorporation, Incorporated, or Inc. — Doing business as or DBA. — Limited, LTD, or LLC
• If insurance information does not appear on the vehicle record at time of renewal, proof of financial responsibility must be submitted.
— The Notification of Alternative Forms of Financial Responsibility (REG 5085) is not acceptable for renewals.
Owners of the following vehicle types are not required to provide evidence of financial responsibility:
• Trailers • Off-highway vehicles • Vehicles registered to a government entity (city, county, state, and federal) • Special equipment vehicles • V ehicles registered under planned non-operation status

Great info if you live in California, but I am in AZ, so totally off subject for me??
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 10:20 PM

Cortez Blue

Note, look up the insurance requirements (Financial Responsibilty) for your state DMV and read it carefully, to see what solutions apply.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

Go to http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp

Read where it says you must have mandatory AZ insurance to register then you can de-insure until you plan to drive in the state again without invoking a suspension on the registration.

Insure it for the registeation period then de-insure and maintain a MX policy such as a costco drivers license policy depending on your needs and scenario, read the policies carefully. If you choose the cheapest option and read the FAQ you see if it covers the basics without a AZ policy in effect and then you can increase from there-you'll need to do your homework. You can also buy your insurance in mexico.

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by gnukid]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 05:29 AM

also remember Costco vagabundos lewis and lewis and Bajabound are NOT insurance companies

they sell OTHER peoples insurance

Costco could sell another companies insurance at any time

you really need to compare apples to apples

I really like bajabound because you can call them and
talk to a real person that has an "interest" in Baja

remember here in mexico the MOST important part
of the police is the lawyer part...
you go to jail first if you get in a deadly accident

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 11:00 AM

You go to the jail if you have a SERIOUS accident. Even a lone driver (you) in your own car, running off the road, damaging nothing. Draw blood and it ain't like bending a fender. Get into a choque with ten thousand pesos worth of damage and it's to the bote you go. You can scratch the finish of a wealthy or influential Mexican's car and off you go - to the can. Have an accident with a highway patrolman's car, or Policia Municipal and it's adios. Same for a choque with a military vehicle.

"Going to la commandancia" does not mean going to prison. It means going to the Police station and staying there until the Ministerio Publico decides whether or not to prosecute. Then after that decision you may end up in the state prison until things are settled.

This is where having an aggressive and effective SURPLUS LINE BROKER can make you or break you. A billion peso liability coverage is useless unless an abogado representing you steps up to the plate and works FAST (to get you released) is vital. Spending a dozen hours in a commandania wondering if your SURPLUS LINE BROKER ever got ahold of your Mexican insurance company and they in turn got ahold of an abogado - ain't where it's at. You get tossed in with drunks, gang members and other pillars of society.

So a Platinum Grade Policy ain't worth STINK if you don't get help FAST. Your company's abogado has to get to the Ministerio Publico FAST and likewise do some fancy footwork to secure your release.

I've had to try and help friends and strangers alike. Just having "liability coverage" IS NOT ENOUGH! Serious cases often take months to settle and until the Ministerio Publico has cash in hand, the only thing you're likely to see are four high white walls and food fit for a buzzard. It ain't pretty.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
also remember Costco vagabundos lewis and lewis and Bajabound are NOT insurance companies

I have the belief that the Mex Ins Co is FAR more important
than the US Broker, they pay the claim not the Broker.
An item that has been brought up, as of last Jan 1, the
payout in the event of an at fault traffic dearh has risen
in Mex, the Mex states have somewhat different limits,
Bajabound recommends to get the max of $500,000 libility,
maybe overkill, however one of the San Diego brokers said they
remember only 1 incident of one of their policy holders
having been at fault in such an accident, but I can think
of little worse than come up short on coverage
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 12:37 PM

Too many Mexican insurance companies reflect service EXACTLY to the amount of pressure exerted on them by the surplus line broker. No repeat phone calls, no pressure...

"No Sirve"

All's it takes is ONE WEAK LINK in the chain and the insured is in for one hell of an unpleasant experience. Multi Billion dollar ten star AAAAAAAAAA++++++++ rated financially. Adjuster drives a new Lexus. But if they do not show up, all that ain't worth a ball of spit.

Like being robbed at gunpoint by a robber high on bath salts. Your city has ten thousand cops, armed with Abrams tanks and bazookas, and you get a busy signal.

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 01:57 PM

Remember, Dah-Veed, "Jesus LOVES you!"

Just don't wanna hear that in a Mexican prison...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 02:23 PM

What you REALLY don't want to hear is

Puta Bonita Mio

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 03:38 PM

DavidE, do you know of any tourist that has gone to jail after an accident...

I hit a young man on a motorcycle, he flew one way, the bike flew another way and my brand new VW camper van rolled 4 times down a ravine and was totaled...
Highway patrolman called tow truck co and was towed into town, my wife and I were put into a very nice hotel where we were basically held under house arrest, no prison,no jail just a great restaurant and cool pool.......

P.S. David how are the pickles doing?

[Edited on 8-8-2013 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 04:11 PM

I know and helped out 2 people that were being held until the adjuster finished the paper work. Both were at fault, One was held in S Q. for 3 days. The other was held in La Paz for 36 hours.
I now always get full coverage with Baja Bound or Discover Baja. It Keeps the family happy they have somebody to call. It would not help much but it makes them feel better.:tumble::rolleyes::tumble:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 04:13 PM

Go to Fred metcalf's site, find the KITTO accident. Read it and be aware that was and is reality. I have had to over the years help to fish out six or seven gringos who were jailed that HAD insurance. I lost track.

If you are looking for data concerning the number of INSURED gringo motorists jailed then imprisoned, I suggest you contact Mr. jim Lewis at Lewis & Lewis. The last INSURED person I saw in jail was in Zihuatanejo. Like everyone else we was awaiting help from his insurance company.

One was an RV'er in Villahermosa who was utterly STOPPED at a red light. A boy came along and slammed into the side of his rig while riding on a bicycle. The cops took the driver to jail to sort things out. I spent from 10 AM to god knows PM trying to motivate the adjuster to get his fat behind out of his chair and down to the jail. The family of the 10-year old insisted they were going to press charges unless "someone" covered the hospital bills. Of course there were administrative fees and fines to be paid.

No it isn't fair. It's not even sane. So I sure as hell am not going to try and defend such a system. It exists. Quite a number of Surplus Line Brokers and I have spent visiting time shaking our head at the utter lack of reliable information and data available meaning written about this. It exists. Proponents of tourism who make a buck don't want this to scare away prospective clients, so being jailed for an accident won't be found in their sales hype.

I encourage anyone who has their curiosity raised by this issue to call their Surplus Line Broker and discuss it with them. "Only a few sticks out of the entire case detonated" does not cut it in my book. This is too serious an issue to misunderstand. You lucked out. Others aren't as lucky. I pray to god I do not have to experience this myself.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 04:47 PM

I wouldn't fret david, after a couple of hours of non stop yarn spinning, you'd be on the street!:lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.