BajaNomad

Lifeguard Program for Bahia Asuncion Needs Your Help

Aqsurfer - 8-26-2013 at 10:52 AM

Hola Nomads,

The lifeguards heading to Bahia Asuncion this year need your help. Each year, I try to raise funds to cover costs - transportation, food and lodging for our annual trip to Baja. Our fundraising target is between $1,500-2,000 USD.

Our group this year will consist of 25 lifeguards and lots of vehicles to get everyone and our gear to Bahia Asuncion. Additionally, we are usually loaded up with lots of donated rescue equipment and surf gear/apparel to give away.

Last year was our first year working with this community and we were really impressed with everyone, participants and town folk as well. I would especially like to thank Jaime, Ed and Jean, Diana, and (mi amigo de IB) Stan RIP, for all their help and not losing hope that we would start a program there.

Last year's program was a great success and this year we hope to build on that great start. We worked with 25 people in the senior group and approximately 65 kids - fantastic turnout and great enthusiasm. This year, the senior group is going to be facing a tougher program as the program progresses in its evolution. If they thought they were tired last year, wait till early October. The junior lifeguard program will continue to work with kids in beach safety awareness and beach/ocean stewardship. For a nomad perspective about last year's program please check out:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63002#pid7615...

Last year I began collaborating with the International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA). ISLA is made up of a great group of 100% volunteer lifeguards, no salaries here - we just want to help save lives around the world - we currently have programs in Baja/Mexico, Chile, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Macedonia, and the US. Many more global sites are in the works.

ISLA is registered 501-c-3 non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible in the US. If you would like to donate to the Bahia Asuncion effort, you can do so via the ISLA website (link below), donation information is on the lower/right side of the homepage. Please make sure and note/state that your donation is for the Baja program. Funds raised will only be used to cover transportation, food, lodging, lifeguard, and first aid equipment for the 2013 Asuncion trip. I will post an accounting here after the trip for complete transparency.

www.islasurf.org

Please share this post with Baja friends and family.
If anyone has questions or comments or would like to make in-kind donations, please post here. Gracias Nomads

Peace,
Aaron

DianaT - 8-26-2013 at 11:32 AM

Aaron,

It was just so great to see it all come together. There was a time I was not sure it would ever happen! --- wish we still had our home available for your use, but also know that money is important. :biggrin:

Just a suggestion. Especially after the tragic drowning, I know how important this program was to your friend, Stan. Since he was so involved in Bloodydecks, perhaps you might see about posting there and suggesting that maybe some of his friends donate in his memory. It would be a great memorial that would help his adopted community with something so very important.

Good Luck and wear them all out again!
Diana

Aqsurfer - 8-26-2013 at 01:11 PM

Hola Diana,

Lots of guards looking forward to returning to Asuncion. Great program and I am sorry that you will not be able to be there.

Thanks for the good suggestion to post on bloody decks. Also if anyone here is also a Bloodydecker - please copy this and post there.

Gracias Nomads
Peace.
Aaron

DianaT - 8-28-2013 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqsurfer
Hola Diana,

Lots of guards looking forward to returning to Asuncion. Great program and I am sorry that you will not be able to be there.

Thanks for the good suggestion to post on bloody decks. Also if anyone here is also a Bloodydecker - please copy this and post there.

Gracias Nomads
Peace.
Aaron

I hope a bloodydecker responds.

Bajagypsy - 8-29-2013 at 04:49 AM

When will you be in Asuncion?

Mula - 8-29-2013 at 07:07 AM

For a request like this, it should come from the requester, not just a member.

Bloody decks is easy to sign on to and join:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/index.php

Then go to the Baja Forum:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/22-Baja-Me...

DianaT - 8-29-2013 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
For a request like this, it should come from the requester, not just a member.

Bloody decks is easy to sign on to and join:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/index.php

Then go to the Baja Forum:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/22-Baja-Me...

You may be correct. However, on the other hand, maybe it would be good if it came from one of Stan's good friends who also is an active member of Bloodydecks, and then again, maybe not.

It was just a thought; maybe a good one, and maybe not. I do know that he really wanted the lifeguard program to continue.

Meantime, hopefully there will be some donations. Asking for donations is always difficult as everyone, and rightfully so, is involved in their own causes and communities in Baja. It all becomes very personal. I know I hope this program will become as strong and as long term as the one in Abreojos, but that is because of my ties to Bahia Asuncion.

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by DianaT]

BajaBlanca - 8-29-2013 at 03:03 PM

Aaron! How wonderful is this!

Is there any way to open a paypal account to. Make it easy to contribute?

Is there an address where funds could be sent?

Once the program is up and running there in Asuncion, please consider sending another group to
La Bocana. I can offer a place to stay ... And if you all pay for the food shopping, I am more than happy to do all the cooking. So many kids here don't swim, it is absurd when you think that we live on the ocean.

Wishing you all the best with Stan's dream project.

rts551 - 8-29-2013 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Once the program is up and running there in Asuncion, please consider sending another group to
La Bocana. I can offer a place to stay ... And if you all pay for the food shopping, I am more than happy to do all the cooking. So many kids here don't swim, it is absurd when you think that we live on the ocean.

Blanca, They have been coming to Abreojos for years, where they have worked with some of the people from La Bocana and where I am sure they would be glad to continue to work with everyone involved.

PS ask when they will be here next so you can come help and make a little donation.

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by rts551]

DianaT - 8-29-2013 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Blanca, if you go to www.islasurf.org they have pay-pal and before you click the final send button, you will have a chance to send a message and just indicate that it is for the Bahia Asuncion Trip.

I would be surprised if some of the La Bocana people have not participated in the long standing program at Abreojos since you are so close together.

For more information as to how food and housing were provided last year, check with Jamie, and with Ed and Jean. I am sure your co-op would help out.

Also, a few years before they came to Bahia Asuncion, a group from Asuncion went to Abreojos for some of the training and to demonstrate real interest in having the program. Time, money and many other things stalled the program from coming to Asuncion for a few years, but now they will return!

It only seems to make sense for you to join up with Abreojos as there is only so much time available and you are so close and could help out!

It is a great program.

DianaT - 8-29-2013 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Blanca, They have been coming to Abreojos for years, where they have worked with some of the people from La Bocana and where I am sure they would be glad to continue to work with everyone involved.

PS ask when they will be here next so you can come help and make a little donation.

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by rts551]

Typing at the same time you were. :biggrin:

Blanca, they can always use more help and you might talk with Chelo who knows them. They have also participated in helping with the Woman's club and their environmental work; something that I know you are very interested in.

Aqsurfer - 8-29-2013 at 03:50 PM

Hola Nomads,

Asuncion Lifeguard Update

We will be arriving in Bahia Asuncion late in the evening on Oct 8. We caravan in one day from San Diego. We drive slowly and our caravan transports 20-25 guards. The training will take place on Oct. 9-11 (afternoons) and Oct. 12 morning. This year we will be building on last year's program by introducing more advanced skills and tougher physical challenges (lots of swims and runs). The goal is to get the group to reach a Basic International Standard this year. Long term, the goal is to establish a fully certified and funded seasonal lifeguard service for the community. Abreojos is very close to achieving this.

Thank you Diana for recommending that a member of Bloody Decks copy and post. It was my hope that a current member would do this.

Baja Blanca: In Abreojos we did have folks from La Bocana and Asuncion attend but the timing and costs are tough on everyone. ISLA and the Baja program is really growing in strength among lifeguards. This trip is extremely popular and I plan to begin scheduling multiple trips to Baja. This program builds on the years of work I did in helping establish lifeguard programs in Tijuana, Ensenada, Abreojos, and Todos Santos. Great groups of people working hard to establish an important community safety service - that motivates kids to work out, become ocean stewards, and good community members.

Donations can be made on the ISLA website at:

http://www.islasurf.org

Click on the donate banner at lower right side of the homepage. Make sure and note that your donation is for the Baja Program-Bahia Asuncion. I will provide a full accounting here after the trip for complete transparency.

Thanks Nomads
Peace,
Aaron

Aqsurfer - 8-29-2013 at 04:40 PM

Baja Blanca: The lifeguard programs work thanks to great community efforts. In Abreojos, Chelo and the Mujeres en Accion group would coordinate locally and provide the group with simple dinners, the coop would donate fish and lobster, the teachers would let the kids out a bit early to participate. Lodging/basecamp was provided by Kathy and her parents. We also camped at Burgers - after all we are a bunch of surfers.

For La Bocana, It would be best to coordinate with the Abreojos program in order to combine efforts. This would also make it easier for me in organizing the lifeguard side. I am certainly open to making it work for La Bocana in the future.

Peace,
Aaron

BajaLuna - 8-30-2013 at 03:23 PM

Aqsurfer, I want to extend the offer of the use of our house (formally Diane's house) in Bahia Asuncion. We won't be there in Oct. but you are more than welcome to use it if you and your fellow guards need a place to stay!

This program feels near and dear to my heart as a child who almost drown in our backyard swimming pool, it's so important to learn water safety!

So please use our house if you need to!!

DianaT - 8-30-2013 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Aqsurfer, I want to extend the offer of the use of our house (formally Diane's house) in Bahia Asuncion. We won't be there in Oct. but you are more than welcome to use it if you and your fellow guards need a place to stay!

This program feels near and dear to my heart as a child who almost drown in our backyard swimming pool, it's so important to learn water safety!

So please use our house if you need to!!

It is good to know the house is available again this year. :yes:

[Edited on 8-31-2013 by DianaT]

durrelllrobert - 8-31-2013 at 08:39 AM

Has anyone thought of posting on this site; used by a lot of charities to raise funds on line.

www.gofundme.com

Aqsurfer - 8-31-2013 at 03:55 PM

BajaLuna: Thank you so much for the offer to use your house. Extending the use of your house to the lifeguards will play a big part in making this year's program a success. Your kindness is a great example of a community coming together to make wonderful things happen - un abrazo.

You are absolutely correct in stating that water safety is vitally important. This is especially true in small coastal communites in Baja where the beach is the main recreational area for kids. Last year we were amazed by how enthusiatic the junior guard kids were and how quickly they learned. Fantastic group!

Bob: Thank you for the suggestion regarding gofundme. I will check out their website.

Peace,
Aaron

Aqsurfer - 9-8-2013 at 03:50 PM

Hola Nomads,

Lifeguard Trip Update:

We have had big number of guards signing up to go this year - both returners and first timers. I am always amazed at how many guys and gals answer the call. They have just spent the summer on the beach saving lives and now ask for time off of work or from school to go on this trip.

Training: This year I plan on including a near drowning simulation. The Asuncion guards will activate local EMS (ambulancia/clinica) and rescue (simulation) an unconscious/non-breathing victim from the water. They will begin CPR on the beach until the ambulancia arrives. The guards will report victim status and transport victim to ambulance team. When victim is packaged for transport to clinica/hospital simulation ends. This is a great exercise that will help the local guards save lives should this type of situation occur. Getting a near drowning victim to advanced medical aid within one-hour is critical.

Fundraising: Nomads we need your help. The post has recieved alot of hits but only limited support. Thank you to the folks that have donated. We can reach our target if we can get 65 Nomads to donate $20 or 130 Nomads donating $10. I hope that together we can make this project happen.

Thanks for your time.
Peace,
Aaron

Aqsurfer - 9-8-2013 at 03:52 PM

To donate, please visit the International Surf Lifesaving Association's website and click the donate banner on the lower right side of the ISLA homepage. Please note that your donation is for the Baja Lifeguard Program, there is a space for entering comments/notes right before you confirm/send your donation via paypal.

Peace,
Aaron

DianaT - 9-8-2013 at 04:38 PM

Hoping others will also put this information on their facebook page. It will save lives.

It seems like $10.00 from 130 people should not be impossible, and then again, everyone has their own pet projects that are also important. :yes:

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by DianaT]

bajafam - 9-8-2013 at 07:32 PM

Aaron, I would like to donate my commissions from my Scentsy page. I will set up a party for folks to shop, in the US, Mexico and Canada, and Scentsy will deliver right to the purchasers doorstep in those countries. I will then send you the donation amount via paypal. Would that be helpful? If so, I'll post the party links here so our fellow nomads can shop as well.
If you are unfamiliar with Scentsy, please look here ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us ~ for Canada and Mexico, just click the American Flag to choose a different country and language :)

bajafam - 9-8-2013 at 07:38 PM

double posted. sorry :)

[Edited on 9-9-2013 by bajafam]

bajafam - 9-9-2013 at 12:40 PM

Hi friends!! Here are the links to shop for Scentsy and the ISLA fundraiser.

In Canada ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18403...

In the US ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18367...

In Mexico ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18405...

No matter where you live, you can shop and help! Thanks nomads!

[Edited on 9-9-2013 by bajafam]

Aqsurfer - 9-9-2013 at 04:22 PM

Hola Bajafam,

Thank you so much for your contribution. I will post the scentsy link on the Mexico/Baja Program page of ISLA.

Peace,
Aaron

DianaT - 9-9-2013 at 05:24 PM

Great idea Michelle, great idea.

Aaron, check your u2u ----

aguachico - 9-9-2013 at 06:51 PM

HI Aaron;

fishinggirl, maybe diana?, posted a thread on bloody decks. I anchored the thread at the top for exposure. If you can, please login and introduce yourself. Post a lil something. You don't have to a be fisherman. Just say hi and thanks

suerte

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php/513620-Bahia-Asuncion-In-the-Name-of-Stan

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by aguachico]

bajafam - 9-11-2013 at 10:51 AM

Just a note about the Scentsy links ~ they may not take you to your respective country. You will need to click the flag in the upper right hand corner to choose the country where your items will need to be shipped. Any questions, please U2U me :)

In Canada ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18403...

In the US ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18367...

In Mexico ~ https://michellevangurp.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy?partyId=18405...

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 05:07 PM

Just bumping this and hope that a few more will contribute to this great program. Besides money, they also take other donations for the kids or equipment for the on going program.

Aqsurfer - 9-20-2013 at 05:17 PM

Hola Nomads,

Lifeguard Update: I want to say thanks to all that have donated - Nomads and fishers from Bloody Decks and Senor Tuna. Muchisimas Gracias.

We have raised $940 of the $1,500-2,000 fundraising target. We still have a ways to go. If you have not donated and can, please do so. All of the funds will be used to transport, feed, and house the volunteer lifeguards, any money left over from these costs will be used to purchase lifeguard and first aid equipment for Asuncion.

The volunteer roster has varied a bit but is holding steady at 22 lifeguards in six vehicles. These volunteers have been working hard in securing used lifeguard equipment such as rescue bouys and rescue boards. Also, we just received a donation of Junior Lifeguard uniforms from a California based lifeguard agency. The kids are going to be stoked.

Also, San Diego based surfing school Surf Diva will be donating used soft-top surfboards, wetsuits and rashguards to kids in Asuncion. A big abrazo to Izzy at Surf Diva.

Thanks for all your support and interest in this year's lifeguard training program.
Saludos
Aaron

shari - 9-20-2013 at 05:27 PM

we would be happy to put some of you up here at La Bufadora Inn if you still need accomodations and offer free camping at Campo Sirena...just ask.

Aqsurfer - 9-20-2013 at 05:37 PM

Hola Shari,

Fantastic! Great to know that you are willing to house some lifeguards. Last year we were a few beds short. Thanks so much Shari.

Aaron

shari - 9-20-2013 at 09:16 PM

glad to help...luckily we had a cancellation for those dates so can help you out now...look forward to this year's event.

Aqsurfer - 9-28-2013 at 04:14 PM

Hola Bajanomads,

Lifeguard trip update.

The donation total is holding at $940. A great achievement thanks to the generous contributions of folks on this site, Bloody Decks, and friendsof Stan's (RIP). If you can, please donate to our effort. Donations can be made via paypal at the ISLA website (501-c-3 all volunteer non-profit organization).

www.islasurf.org

The number of lifeguards going has dropped from 22 to 17. Still a great crew and enough guards to safely run a program involving so many people and munchkins. The total number of folks participating from the community will be around 100. Everyone is looking forward to the program and we can hardly wait until Oct. 8 to head south.

Next post from me will be a trip report and accounting for everyone here (unless someone asks me a question or would like more info here).

Gracias to everyone involved in helping make this valuable program happen in Bahia Asuncion. I hope to expand to other coastal communities in the future.

Peace,
Aaron

Aqsurfer - 10-6-2013 at 02:02 PM

Hola Nomads,

Wanted to say thanks to all who donated and viewed this thread.

I also want to thank Katy Fallon of Imperial Beach. She is the owner of Katy's Cafe (704 Seacoast Drive in IB). She is going to donate coffee and breakfast to the lifeguard group the morning of our departure. If you are in IB stop in and say hi: great coffee & food and cool surf art on the walls.

www.KatysCafeIB.com

Peace
Aaron

ps. I know I said last post until trip report but wanted to thank another great community contribution to our effort to save lives in Baja. You can still donate...

BajaLuna - 10-6-2013 at 02:35 PM

Hi Aqsurfer, can you U2U me your email addy, or send me your addy at bajaluna59@gmail dot com. Wanted to fill you in on a few things about the house!

IB IB IB, oh how I miss my old stomping grounds! Will be sure and stop in an support Katy's place next time we are there!

So excited you all are doing this for the community! Have a fantastic trip!

shari - 10-6-2013 at 06:11 PM

Everyone here is looking forward to this year's activities...let us know if there is anything else we can help with...any posters to put up?
Will you still need accommodation then? I have put aside the Beach House for you.

Aaron

DianaT - 10-14-2013 at 04:36 PM

From communication with friends in Bahia Asuncion and from all the photos on their facebook pages, it looks like the program was once again, a real success and they are already looking forward to another clinic next year; they hope. We also hope it will happen again and again and again. They say they learned a lot and really thank all of you for EVERYTHING.

Well, that is what the locals tell us, so we are really looking forward to hearing from you as to how you think it all went.

Diana y John

Aqsurfer - 10-15-2013 at 04:18 PM

Hola Nomads,

Micro update for now, full update soon.

I again want to everyone involved in making this year's program happen. We pushed the advanced group much harder than last year and we had 9 people certify under ISLA Basic Open Water Rescue standard. Great step forward!

The kids were again really enthusiastic in all the beach games they played(the "games" are really ocean skill builders). Don't tell them.

The town/hosts left us all amazed at the level of hospitality we received. Next we are going to try to organize a CPR training course for comunity members (serious side) and have a friendly game of beisbol - salvavidas vs BA. We are also working on locating an AED.

Also, I would like give credit to our gran amigo Stan (RIP) who was one of the key figures in making this happen. There is currently an effort being made to place a fitting marker/headstone on his grave in BA. Shari is leading the effort - I quickly found this BN post:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69693#pid8508...

Peace
A

DianaT - 10-15-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqsurfer
Hola Nomads,

The town/hosts left us all amazed at the level of hospitality we received. Next we are going to try to organize a CPR training course for comunity members (serious side) and have a friendly game of beisbol - salvavidas vs BA. We are also working on locating an AED.....

I am quite sure you will make those things happen! :yes::yes:

shari - 10-15-2013 at 04:46 PM

thank you Aaron and your group for all you have done for the village and thanks to all who helped sponsor them....events like this really contribute to the growth, evolution and education of the local kids which will lead to saving lives and greater awareness of the ocean and ecology.