BajaNomad

Need advice for fishing

Tacodawgtim - 9-4-2013 at 08:56 PM

I am getting ready to head back to San Felipe for 6 weeks starting the middle of October. I have a friend who lives there full time with a place near Gonzaga. He keeps bugging me to come down to go fishing with him. Ill have the time so I plan on fishing several days with him. What is a good basic rod and reel for that area... Hopefully for trigger fish and whatever else. He makes a delitious triggerfish ceviche that I want to learn how to make.
Any recommendations so I have the right gear when I head back south....
Thanks in advance

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Tacodawgtim]

redhilltown - 9-4-2013 at 11:54 PM

First of all I would change your headline/subject as to the question you want to ask...a lot of people dont have time to scroll through all the threads (meant as nice advice and not a flame!).

Small hooks for triggers and some cut bait...if your friend has a freezer bring down some squid...it is like candy to them! Spinning reel with 20 lb test is fine and a hell of a lot of fun if a larger trigger. You can go lighter but the rocks ding you and the triggers can rough it up and since they are not line shy, better to go sturdy if targeting them...especially from shore. A VERY sharp knife for filleting them and I have used culinary shears to cut around the outside or the fillet...tacky I know but it works. They will hit small chrome krocs...hell..they will hit anything but if you want to keep a few for ceviche, the squid is your friend or the belly meat from whatever else you catch...they are not fussy. Truth be told I really admire them and only keep a few large ones for eating...they have spunk and are tough little bastards.

chuckie - 9-5-2013 at 04:50 AM

Good advice on catching them, spinner makes it fun, they do fight! Make excellent stir fry too.......

Pescador - 9-5-2013 at 07:33 AM

One of the best things I have ever seen for cleaning trigger fish is an electric fillet knife. Cuts right through the leather and does a respectable job. They come both in 12 volt or 110.

1bobo - 9-5-2013 at 07:42 AM

Add to the filet knife: a honing steel, filet gloves, and needle nosed pliers- the longer the better. HFT has them cheap. Keep your hands away from the trigger's mouth- even if you think they're dead. A big one can take a chunk out of your hand or the end of a finger. I use the pliers to handle live triggers- grab them in the mouth.

I like long shank hooks. You want the trigger's beak to chomp on steel, not mono.

A big trigger with all three crocodile hooks in its mouth commonly requires surgery to remove.

If you're in a boat, try jigging with a croc or other jig, sweetened with belly meat strip. Watch the drop- they'll often take it then, and if you're not watching your line you'll never know.

We call trigger "the other white meat". It's great in many ways, makes wonderful fish n chips.

Good luck- have fun.

Tacodawgtim - 9-5-2013 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. Getting excited about the fishing trip. Great advice . My friends place is in Camp Beluga. Just around the corner from Gonzaga Bay

Skipjack Joe - 9-5-2013 at 08:12 AM

Get a 7' Shakespeare Ugly Stik for a starter. They're under $50 and pretty hardy. Add a spinning reel to that that can stand up to salt and you're set.

Or you can have mine if you can find it. Some large fish took it down to the bottom when I wasn't paying attention a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Martyman - 9-5-2013 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo

We call trigger "the other white meat".

I thought "cat" was the other white meat.
Above advice looks good. I would add the use of 6" steel leaders .

redhilltown - 9-5-2013 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Get a 7' Shakespeare Ugly Stik for a starter. They're under $50 and pretty hardy. Add a spinning reel to that that can stand up to salt and you're set.

Or you can have mine if you can find it. Some large fish took it down to the bottom when I wasn't paying attention a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

I think Joe's rod is resting comfortably next to about half a dozen chrome Krocs of mine... :tumble:

Skipjack Joe - 9-6-2013 at 06:21 AM

Here's a suggestion:

If you fill your spinning reel with braided line instead of mono your casts will be twice as far. That can definitely make a difference when fishing from shore. The fish are often working just out of reach. Sometimes you'll catch a few and the entire school will move out a bit further after that. Corvina and pompano are like that.

Tacodawgtim - 9-6-2013 at 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the help... Now I need to go shopping. Hopefully most of fishing will be from boat/panga. I have a couple kayaks that I might try after I hook a few from the boat. I will be staying in Punta Buffeo, that's where my friends place is. With the new road it's an easy 2 hour drive from San Felipe

bazinga - 9-6-2013 at 07:14 AM

I have been targeting trigger fish from my kayak for a while now, using cut squid. I use a light bass rod with a small shimano spinning reel. Many triggers in the five pound range with the largest checking in at 7 1/4 pounds. So far I have broken three rods. These suckers are strong, strong, strong.

bkbend - 9-6-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bazinga
These suckers are strong, strong, strong.

That's why the meat is so nice and firm. Lotta muscle.

Alan - 9-6-2013 at 08:27 AM

The easiest way I have found to filet them is to use the letter-opener technique. Poke the tip of the blade into them, then you can cut from the inside -out

redhilltown - 9-7-2013 at 11:05 PM

And maybe a final suggestion...they will "rock" you. They are called triggers because of the bone near their dorsal fin that is like a trigger...not that they have many predators but they can back into a cave, flip up the "trigger" and are difficult to get out...you can catch one and know you have one and yet all you feel is that you are snagged on a rock...wait him out.

willardguy - 9-7-2013 at 11:25 PM

bring any cheap bait caster on something with a little backbone, leave the bait at home,drop the krocs, stick the filet knife up the butt out the dorsal back to the tail, easy filet, marinade in the duck and enjoy;D

willardguy - 9-7-2013 at 11:32 PM

BTW, Pescador, an electric filet knife for getting thru a triggerfish? ?????are you high on drugs or what??????:?:

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by willardguy]

chuckie - 9-8-2013 at 12:18 AM

I wondered about that..I peel the skin with a pair of pliers, then they are the easiest fish in mexico to filet...Rocked by a trigger? Caught hundreds of them never heard of that happening....

Pescador - 9-8-2013 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
BTW, Pescador, an electric filet knife for getting thru a triggerfish? ?????are you high on drugs or what??????:?:

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by willardguy]

Probably, but it still works the best of anything I have ever seen. A good fish fillet knife (electric) works like cutting through butter. It is also a great choice for spotted bay bass. When we do fish fries for a large group of people, I always seemed to get the duty for filleting the trigger fish and I found that I could do them much faster than with a knife and I don't have to stop and hone the knife.

But I understand the idea of throwing pearls to?

redhilltown - 9-8-2013 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I wondered about that..I peel the skin with a pair of pliers, then they are the easiest fish in mexico to filet...Rocked by a trigger? Caught hundreds of them never heard of that happening....

Well I have...especially from rocky shores...guess mine were just smarter than yours ;D

Tacodawgtim - 9-9-2013 at 05:24 AM

Ok when you guys are suggesting small crocs, what size are you using. Looks like the ugly stick is the rod.. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now I just need to get back down there. I should be down for Pete's Camp poker run and hopefully stay till after Thanksgiving. Plenty of time to try and catch some triggers :tumble:

redhilltown - 9-11-2013 at 11:19 PM

The smaller ones..2-3"??...not sure what they translates in Kroc talk! And a strip of squid on one of the hooks just to seal the deal. You will feel them hitting it many times and you may snag them as well. Unlike most fish who will dart out and GRAB it all at once they can take their time and work it over as you retrieve it.

Tacodawgtim - 9-12-2013 at 10:06 AM

Thanks ill pick some up this week.

willardguy - 9-12-2013 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Thanks ill pick some up this week.
snip off the swivel and pick up some snap rings and triple strong trebles. you'll bend the crap out of em wrestling em out of those mouths! consider a rod with a little more backbone for hooksets. j-m-h-o of course ;)

First time fishing in Baja

spikemd - 10-4-2013 at 11:50 AM

I am heading down near Punta Bufeo myself Nov 3-9 for my first trip beyond Ensenada. Looking forward to some fishing, kayaking and relaxing. Done some marlin and salmon fishing but never from a small boat or panga.

After reading through the thread, I am gong to pick up a 7 foot saltwater pole and reel with 20-30lb test like an UglyStick or similar.

Where can you pick up frozen squid down there? In San Felipe? Any other suggestions as to lures? Thanks.

If we decide to rent a panga boat in Gonzaga Bay and/or Bahia de Los Angeles, what prices should we expect to pay? Thanks.

churro - 10-5-2013 at 03:47 PM

I fished with Tony Reyes (RIP) on his 5 day trips out of San Filepe for many many years. We would fish the coastline, islands and reefs down as far as San Francisquito on pangas... the advice from the deck hands was never use less than 50 Lb line and a rod and reel to back it up, I like a high speed reel (6 to 1) for throwing jigs when there is no bait available.... you may be targeting triggers but you never know what you are going to run into down there, black and white sea bass, large yellowtail, cabrilla, grouper. I never had a problem getting bit on the heavy line in the Sea of Cortez, (but it is a different story on the Pacific side). This advise from the pangeros that live their lives on the sea in the area and their livelihood depends on your tips and fish cleaning.

But i have heard this advice on the board before... "Listen to the voice in your tackle box" because thats why the sport is called "Fishing" not Catching... No two days are the same....

FYI, I fished in the summer months

yakyak2010 - 10-5-2013 at 04:02 PM

Spikemd, we,ll be down oct 31 to nov 6 as part of the annual tinboat regatta, might see you there. Squid is good. We just pickup frozen squid in the states. You probably can get in san felipe but i wouldnt bet on getting it in gonzaga. Enjoy your trip. We'll be at rancho grande.

bajabuddha - 10-5-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Ok when you guys are suggesting small crocs, what size are you using. Looks like the ugly stick is the rod.. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now I just need to get back down there. I should be down for Pete's Camp poker run and hopefully stay till after Thanksgiving. Plenty of time to try and catch some triggers :tumble:

I'm by no means a knowledgeable ocean fisherman, but the last few years i've fished exclusively with Krokodiles (made by Luhr-Jensen i might add). I fish mostly light tackle, Ugly Stick w/15 lb. to 20lb test unless there's a feed of 'monsters' happening... i use a 5/8 oz. 'blue mackarel' Krok and have journalled over 32 different species on that size lure alone, including a 21 lb. halibut, and a 56 lb. roosterfish (bigger test line for that one, and a pole i bought over 15 years ago from 'Auggie' in Mulege for $20). Good for slow bottom-jigging, trolling, casting into boils, you name it. That size comes with a little plastic 'blood-drop' on the ring holding the treble hook... i've found that using a simple cheap silver spoon, and putting a little red duct tape tab on the shank of the treble hook imitates a blood drop,and triples my hits.

Yet another use for DUCT TAPE !! I hope Red Green is proud of me.

Oh, forgot to mention a manta ray that dragged me around for an hour and ten minutes last day of fishing this spring.... same lure, 5/8 oz. Krok blue mackarel. Never did get to figger his weight, but it was on 30 lb test, and he took me for a RIIIIIIDE... got him to the boat, and he straightened out the hook whilst fishing for my camera. Figgered about 2 miles worth of being towed (14' iinflatable). Of course, this may all just be a bunch of Krok.....

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by bajabuddha]

spikemd - 10-7-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yakyak2010
Spikemd, we,ll be down oct 31 to nov 6 as part of the annual tinboat regatta, might see you there. Squid is good. We just pickup frozen squid in the states. You probably can get in san felipe but i wouldnt bet on getting it in gonzaga. Enjoy your trip. We'll be at rancho grande.

Very cool! The regatta looks like fun. I am excited to visit Baja as it is my first time beyond Ensenada. I will definitely have to come see you all and the 'regatta'. I will have an inflatable kayak, but no boat. A friend who has a 'cabin' near Punta Buffeo said he has a small boat, but I won't know what it is until I get down there. We will either be staying near hiim or camping under a palapa near Gonzaga. No definite plans once we get south of the border other than trying a little fishing and enjoying cervezas.

Thanks for the advice about the poles and lures. I will definitely pick some up before heading south. I plan on crossing at Mexicali and heading down 5. We will hopefully have at least two Land Rovers and possibly one more. Looking forward to the trip.