Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need advice for fishing
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 08:56 PM
Need advice for fishing

I am getting ready to head back to San Felipe for 6 weeks starting the middle of October. I have a friend who lives there full time with a place near Gonzaga. He keeps bugging me to come down to go fishing with him. Ill have the time so I plan on fishing several days with him. What is a good basic rod and reel for that area... Hopefully for trigger fish and whatever else. He makes a delitious triggerfish ceviche that I want to learn how to make.
Any recommendations so I have the right gear when I head back south....
Thanks in advance

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Tacodawgtim]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 11:54 PM

First of all I would change your headline/subject as to the question you want to ask...a lot of people dont have time to scroll through all the threads (meant as nice advice and not a flame!).

Small hooks for triggers and some cut bait...if your friend has a freezer bring down some squid...it is like candy to them! Spinning reel with 20 lb test is fine and a hell of a lot of fun if a larger trigger. You can go lighter but the rocks ding you and the triggers can rough it up and since they are not line shy, better to go sturdy if targeting them...especially from shore. A VERY sharp knife for filleting them and I have used culinary shears to cut around the outside or the fillet...tacky I know but it works. They will hit small chrome krocs...hell..they will hit anything but if you want to keep a few for ceviche, the squid is your friend or the belly meat from whatever else you catch...they are not fussy. Truth be told I really admire them and only keep a few large ones for eating...they have spunk and are tough little bastards.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 04:50 AM

Good advice on catching them, spinner makes it fun, they do fight! Make excellent stir fry too.......

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 07:33 AM

One of the best things I have ever seen for cleaning trigger fish is an electric fillet knife. Cuts right through the leather and does a respectable job. They come both in 12 volt or 110.

1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 07:42 AM

Add to the filet knife: a honing steel, filet gloves, and needle nosed pliers- the longer the better. HFT has them cheap. Keep your hands away from the trigger's mouth- even if you think they're dead. A big one can take a chunk out of your hand or the end of a finger. I use the pliers to handle live triggers- grab them in the mouth.

I like long shank hooks. You want the trigger's beak to chomp on steel, not mono.

A big trigger with all three crocodile hooks in its mouth commonly requires surgery to remove.

If you're in a boat, try jigging with a croc or other jig, sweetened with belly meat strip. Watch the drop- they'll often take it then, and if you're not watching your line you'll never know.

We call trigger "the other white meat". It's great in many ways, makes wonderful fish n chips.

Good luck- have fun.
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the advice so far. Getting excited about the fishing trip. Great advice . My friends place is in Camp Beluga. Just around the corner from Gonzaga Bay
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 08:12 AM

Get a 7' Shakespeare Ugly Stik for a starter. They're under $50 and pretty hardy. Add a spinning reel to that that can stand up to salt and you're set.

Or you can have mine if you can find it. Some large fish took it down to the bottom when I wasn't paying attention a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo

We call trigger "the other white meat".

I thought "cat" was the other white meat.
Above advice looks good. I would add the use of 6" steel leaders .
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Get a 7' Shakespeare Ugly Stik for a starter. They're under $50 and pretty hardy. Add a spinning reel to that that can stand up to salt and you're set.

Or you can have mine if you can find it. Some large fish took it down to the bottom when I wasn't paying attention a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

I think Joe's rod is resting comfortably next to about half a dozen chrome Krocs of mine... :tumble:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 06:21 AM

Here's a suggestion:

If you fill your spinning reel with braided line instead of mono your casts will be twice as far. That can definitely make a difference when fishing from shore. The fish are often working just out of reach. Sometimes you'll catch a few and the entire school will move out a bit further after that. Corvina and pompano are like that.
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the help... Now I need to go shopping. Hopefully most of fishing will be from boat/panga. I have a couple kayaks that I might try after I hook a few from the boat. I will be staying in Punta Buffeo, that's where my friends place is. With the new road it's an easy 2 hour drive from San Felipe
bazinga
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:14 AM

I have been targeting trigger fish from my kayak for a while now, using cut squid. I use a light bass rod with a small shimano spinning reel. Many triggers in the five pound range with the largest checking in at 7 1/4 pounds. So far I have broken three rods. These suckers are strong, strong, strong.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bazinga
These suckers are strong, strong, strong.

That's why the meat is so nice and firm. Lotta muscle.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 08:27 AM

The easiest way I have found to filet them is to use the letter-opener technique. Poke the tip of the blade into them, then you can cut from the inside -out

In Memory of E-57
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:05 PM

And maybe a final suggestion...they will "rock" you. They are called triggers because of the bone near their dorsal fin that is like a trigger...not that they have many predators but they can back into a cave, flip up the "trigger" and are difficult to get out...you can catch one and know you have one and yet all you feel is that you are snagged on a rock...wait him out.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:25 PM

bring any cheap bait caster on something with a little backbone, leave the bait at home,drop the krocs, stick the filet knife up the butt out the dorsal back to the tail, easy filet, marinade in the duck and enjoy;D
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 11:32 PM

BTW, Pescador, an electric filet knife for getting thru a triggerfish? ?????are you high on drugs or what??????:?:

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by willardguy]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 12:18 AM

I wondered about that..I peel the skin with a pair of pliers, then they are the easiest fish in mexico to filet...Rocked by a trigger? Caught hundreds of them never heard of that happening....

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
BTW, Pescador, an electric filet knife for getting thru a triggerfish? ?????are you high on drugs or what??????:?:

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by willardguy]

Probably, but it still works the best of anything I have ever seen. A good fish fillet knife (electric) works like cutting through butter. It is also a great choice for spotted bay bass. When we do fish fries for a large group of people, I always seemed to get the duty for filleting the trigger fish and I found that I could do them much faster than with a knife and I don't have to stop and hone the knife.

But I understand the idea of throwing pearls to?

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2013 at 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I wondered about that..I peel the skin with a pair of pliers, then they are the easiest fish in mexico to filet...Rocked by a trigger? Caught hundreds of them never heard of that happening....

Well I have...especially from rocky shores...guess mine were just smarter than yours ;D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.