BajaNomad

Broke down on Hwy 5...Do you think anyone stopped to help?

CortezBlue - 10-14-2013 at 06:51 PM

Driving back from SF yesterday we got just past the military check point about 10 miles.

My low tire pressure light came on. Now normally in my old truck I would have ignored it and kept going because it would do it all the time. In my new F150 Platinum EcoBoost, I thought I had better check it out.

I opened my door and I could hear the tire hisssssing from inside the cab.

I looked and I had a huge lag bolt poking out of my tire.

A brand new truck and I have no idea where the jack and tools are located. And yes, I left the manual at home.

I start looking around and don't see anything in the cab, so I crawl around under the truck to look.

In the mean time there are gringos flying by at 80 miles per hour. I had to have my wife step into the road and make sure that everyone pulled to the other lane.

I continued to look in the cab for the tools, and leave it to Ford to create a NASA like tool kit that is molded to the size of a hidden channel in the floor. I found these nasty looking black knobs that I unscrewed and figured out it unlocked the tool kit to be slid out.

Once opened the tool kit has everything needed to drop the full size spare down, jack up the truck and to loosen the lug nuts.

Do you think anyone stopped to help? Yep, but it wasn't gringos, it was a few Mexicano's that offered to help change the tire.

I have to say it only took about 15 mintues from start to finish and we were on the road.

Bajaboy - 10-14-2013 at 07:00 PM

I keep the manual in the glove box...just in case:tumble:

Hook - 10-14-2013 at 07:07 PM

Of course a Mexican stopped. Opportunity knocks.

DENNIS - 10-14-2013 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I keep my appreciation for gringo vigilance in mind.
I saw a young man hitchhiking yesterday. It reminded me of me in a time long ago.
There was no way I would stop.

BTW....we weren't in the middle of nowhere. That would have been different, given equal circumstances.
It's a different time.

rts551 - 10-14-2013 at 07:13 PM

Glad you got the tire changed. My experience has been te same. Mexicans will stop to help, Gringos will whizzzz on by hoping no one looks their way.

CortezBlue - 10-14-2013 at 07:32 PM

Quote:

I don't need a manual, I have that special cross of Testosterone and Aqua Velva, that allows me not to be a normal weakling that requires a stinking manual to make things happen!

Give it a try

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by CortezBlue]

Bajaboy - 10-14-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:

I don't need a manual, I have that special cross of Testosterone and Aqua Velva, that allows me not to be a normal weakling that requires a stinking manual to make things happen!

Give it a try

Aqua Velva....you've got to be joking:O I kind of figured you were an Old Spice kind of guy....

DENNIS - 10-14-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:

Give it a try

All that? Cool. [Aqua Velva cool at that]
Soooo?? What's the problem? Just wanna complain about the traveling American character?

DianaT - 10-14-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Give it a try

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

wessongroup - 10-14-2013 at 08:04 PM

Great thread .. .:):)

Santiago - 10-14-2013 at 08:06 PM

English Leather, I think, was the smell of choice.

Hook - 10-14-2013 at 08:13 PM

If he was wearing Hai Karate, he coulda taken care of those inconsiderate gringos flying by. Live and learn.

mtgoat666 - 10-14-2013 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Glad you got the tire changed. My experience has been te same. Mexicans will stop to help, Gringos will whizzzz on by hoping no one looks their way.

If you look like you got things under control, perhaps people will pass. If you look befuddled or have a short skirt, perhaps people will be more likely to stop, eh? If you look crazy or mean people will definitely keep on going! Your pic shows you wearing a Che g beret, so perhaps the gringo republicans felt ill at your appearance and sped up to get away from you commies?

willardguy - 10-14-2013 at 08:24 PM

larry fine was a commie?:lol:

CortezBlue - 10-14-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
larry fine was a commie?:lol:

Marxist

For clarification, Larry is not a communist, he is simply making fun or Che and frankly, he likes the look. But the only stooges in politics are in DC

CortezBlue - 10-14-2013 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Give it a try

Aqua Velva....you've got to be joking:O I kind of figured you were an Old Spice kind of guy....

Probably Brute, one of my favorites

Also, I use to love the ladies wearing Jungle Gardenia,
Oh boy, if a girl walked by with Jungle Gardenia, I was ready to follow her anywhere.

Today, I get excited smelling Fabuloso. It really takes me to Mexico when I smell it.

Bajaboy - 10-14-2013 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Give it a try

Probably Brute, one of my favorites

Also, I use to love the ladies wearing Jungle Gardenia,
Oh boy, if a girl walked by with Jungle Gardenia, I was ready to follow her anywhere.

Today, I get excited smelling Fabuloso. It really takes me to Mexico when I smell it.

Fabuloso...only if applied in extremely strong doses....but yes, I agree:biggrin:

David K - 10-14-2013 at 09:22 PM

Cortez Blue has guts!

I can only imaging if I posted that I had a new truck, and actually removed the owner's manual from the glove box (why?), or not knowing how to change the tire.

Some of you guys would have a field day...

I am not sure I understand the commie idolizing with his avatar, but that he admitted what happened on his drive back to Feenicks, AZ makes him okay with me... :light:

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by David K]

I agree

captkw - 10-14-2013 at 09:33 PM

A real man admits his F/ups !! my self as a mec and travel guy always stop to help just about anyone..and have helped and met some great folks all over the planet !! Tho- Once , on maui I helped pull a truck out of ditch for some local Bhra's and was called a hali..of all my travels the Hawaii islands are the most racest...I have stopped to help 100's of folks over the years and have always refused cash..I look'um the eye and say " Help someone else some day and if we ALL helped someone else ,,It would be better planet,,NO? and every time folks look dreamy and say "YES" as I jump back in my car/boat/rv....K&T:cool:

Alan - 10-15-2013 at 04:48 AM

Just a sign of the times. I had the same experience two years ago when I lost my boat just above Catavina. Not one single foreign plated car stopped or even slowed yet every Mexican stopped to ensure we were okay. Wasn't like that 20 years ago. Back then you couldn't even stop to moisten the ground around a cardon cactus without some gringo stopping to ensure things were okay. Back then it was almost to the point of being intrusive. :lol:

Its just a reflection of the media coverage of Mexico.

paranewbi - 10-15-2013 at 05:15 AM

I do and have stopped to help plenty...on both sides of the border. Once there were two nationals south of the border standing on the side of the road and I stopped to see how I could help getting them back on the road. They needed gas, so I put a couple of gallons in their car tank and after handshakes started back on my way. Looking back in the mirror I saw a that a car or two after mine, they were waving their cloth flag as another car slowed to stop to 'help'...fill 'er up please!

CortezBlue...not to provide excuses...a friend of mine stopped to assist in changing a tire for a lady stopped on the side of the road. Realized he was flying through the air, he woke up in the hospital without the use of his mangled legs. His memory of the 'flight' was clear in the realization in the moment that he had been hit by a car while changing that tire and yet never felt the impact.

Sometimes self preservation overwhelms the guilt of not assisting as we peer into the rear view mirror and hope for wellbeing of the stranded, perhaps not the " hoping no one looks their way" as rts551 would attribute.

Katiejay99 - 10-15-2013 at 06:46 AM

I have been broken down on the side of the road here in Mexico a few times and it is always a Mexican who stops to help and they have NEVER asked for money in return. They seem happy to just help out. I have never had a non-Mexican offer to give me a hand.

In fact I had an issue with a windshield wiper I was trying to replace in San Diego once, sitting at the dealership and obviously in need of help as many people took notice and kept on walking past. I finally threw down the tool I had to borrow from one of the mechanics who worked there and said, rather loudly, "I give up and I'm going back to Mexico where people help people". A guy walking by chuckled and immediately offered to help me. He got it replaced and I was very thankful.

MICK - 10-15-2013 at 06:52 AM

I stop for gringos and Mexicans alike. To bad you weren't farther up I might have driven by and stopped.
Mick

BajaBlanca - 10-15-2013 at 07:29 AM

We are in the habit of stopping also, even if it "looks" like everything is under control, better to make sure. A couple months ago we lent a guy a tool on the road from abreojos to highway 1. He promised to return it.....and he did!

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:

I don't need a manual,

Missed your spelling error yesterday, but one of your roadside angels........was he named Manuel? :lol:

Quote:

Do you think anyone stopped to help? Yep, but it wasn't gringos, it was a few Mexicano's that offered to help change the tire.

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by DENNIS]

durrelllrobert - 10-15-2013 at 07:59 AM

Last year I was heading north on the toll road when the ABC bus I was following in the left lane suddenly slowed and moved over to the right lane. I thought that was so I could pass him and just as I started to he hit a large flooded area and the resultant waterfall he threw completely engulfed my Yukon. Zero visibility and I knew there was a guard rail on my left so I cut the wheel to the right and did a 180 without striking anything, then another 180 passing behind him in the right lane and off onto the soggy shoulder pointing the same way I had be heading.
My Yukon has posi-traction but the ground was so soggy I just buried the back end to the axel so I put on the flashers and the first car that came along was a Mexican in a van that stopped to help. He spoke no English and my Spanish is minimal but I got the drift that he would use his cellphone to call the Green Angels, which he did.

Apparently they told him that they couldn't pull cars out but would call a tow truck to come from Ensenada and I was about half way between Baja Mar and Puerto Escondido so he said that he would pull me out. All he had was a skinny yellow plastic rope that was just long enough to reach from the back of his van to the front hook on mine. Sure enough he did it and refused to take any money. God bless Mexicans.

TMW - 10-15-2013 at 10:10 AM

What do you mean Americans don't stop. I do, must have missed my report.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69455

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
God bless Mexicans.

He/She does......with children.

DianaT - 10-15-2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

And I remember when you hooked Diver's rig up, truck and trailer, and pulled them back to El Rosario. And I remember Diver telling us that his rig was very heavy and not easy on your truck!

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

For some here who like to refer to Americans as "guests" [albeit uninvited].......calling our culture deficient in "team ethic" makes them feel more accepted in Mexico, a country that prides itself on individualism.
I'll never understand it.
They might ask themselves what they would do if coming across a Mexican family, broken down on the side of the road in their US neighborhood.
I don't have to ask. I know.

msteve1014 - 10-15-2013 at 10:28 AM

It's fine to praise the people that stop to help, but the moral of the story should be to learn where the tools are, and know how to replace a flat tire in a new car BEFORE you need to.

DianaT - 10-15-2013 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

They might ask themselves what they would do if coming across a Mexican family, broken down on the side of the road in their US neighborhood.
I don't have to ask. I know.

That is also a blanket statement and may be true for some. After all, we have met many ex-pats and visitors in Mexico who don't like Mexicans.

However, when we lived in Calexico we stopped several times to help out Mexican families from both side of the border. After all, some of them were our student's families and our neighbors. Does that make us special or unusual? I don't think so.

TMW - 10-15-2013 at 10:39 AM

I'm less app to stop in the US to help on a freeway since the cops patrol it on a regular basis. On a two lane back road I will stop. Also when I'm off road no matter where I'm at I stop.

meme - 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM

My husband stops to help everyone. Saturday after a long long day (6:00 pm.) Poker Run working, he was on his way home finally--when he stopped to help 4 young Mexicans which had a flat tire, 3 of which were girls. They were very grateful for his help as they usually are on the hwy here. They had an old jack which was not easy to use & not real helpful to them ,but with help got the job done. He was very late getting home but happy that he had helped someone in need.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm less app to stop in the US to help on a freeway since the cops patrol it on a regular basis. On a two lane back road I will stop. Also when I'm off road no matter where I'm at I stop.

I agree. I wasn't talking about freeway situations.
I probably wouldn't stop on a Toll Road down here either. There are services in place for that.

wessongroup - 10-15-2013 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Dittos

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 11:00 AM

when a motorcyclist is in need of help he will place his helmet on the ground by the front tire. wouldnt it be great if there was a similar signal for motorist:?::yes:

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
when a motorcyclist is in need of help he will place his helmet on the ground by the front tire. wouldnt it be great if there was a similar signal for motorist:?::yes:

Maybe a little pyramid of Tecate cans? MT....of course.

motoged - 10-15-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:

So....being on my knees in the "prayer posture" is not the correct thing to do?

Even for an agnostic?

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

lol:lol:no ones gonna stop if they're MT!

rts551 - 10-15-2013 at 11:16 AM

Must have just been bad luck Cortez....Sounds like everyone stops to help.

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2013 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

There was also the time you helped Diver a few years ago.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
There was also the time you helped Diver a few years ago.

As Bernie used to say, "Baja is people helping people."
I miss Bernie.

CortezBlue - 10-15-2013 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

If you look like you got things under control, perhaps people will pass. If you look befuddled or have a short skirt, perhaps people will be more likely to stop, eh? If you look crazy or mean people will definitely keep on going! Your pic shows you wearing a Che g beret, so perhaps the gringo republicans felt ill at your appearance and sped up to get away from you commies?

I had my wife directing traffic, but no short skirts these days, as far as befuddled, CortezBlue always looks befuddled!!

CortezBlue - 10-15-2013 at 12:45 PM

Many years ago when we first started going to San Felipe, I use to carry about 5-10 gallons of water. After all, living in the desert all of my adult life, I learned the value of water, not only for me, but for others and my truck.

We were coming back from San Felipe and it was in the summer and extremely hot.

We were between the check point and La Ventana going north and we came upon a family in a little car with about 4 kids and Papa holding 1 gallon water bottles.

I pulled over, I thought my wife was going to hit me. She said this could be a trap! I said, "are you kidding me, it is hot and they need water!"

I pulled over, opened the tailgate and had everyone line up and I filled each gallon bottle and gave the kids cold sodas. The Papa tried to pay me, and of course I refused his pesos.

When we got back in the car, of course my wife's tune changed. I told her then and I still say it, that is how you change the perception of gringos in Mexico.

tripledigitken - 10-15-2013 at 12:48 PM

Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

Usually that's reserved for OT and the WWF.

;)

aguachico - 10-15-2013 at 08:57 PM

I stop on Mex1 for anyone. US highways, not unless you wave me down or your towing a boat. There's no reason in the 21st century not to be connected to road side assistance. Also it is extremely dangerous to stop and assist on CA highways.

CortezBlue - 10-15-2013 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?

Usually that's reserved for OT and the WWF.

;)

Si
Cortez Blue showed the "The Most Interesting Man In The World" how to get along in the world, he is bigger than life!:cool:

apogee - 10-16-2013 at 06:39 PM

Sounds like American's being bashed. Maybe if you were not in a Brand New Ford Pick up, or actually looked like you needed help a "Gringo AKA as an American" would have stopped to help. I have been driving the roads of the Baja and the mainland side for decades. I have helped and been helped on more than one occasion by Mexicans and Americans. Usually people that frequent outward areas have it a little bit more basic knowledge of things like how to change a tire. In Mexico if you have a tire problem all you have to do is remove the tire and stand on the side of the road with the tire and somebody will identify your problem and help. If you run out of gas, stand there with a siphon hose and a gas can, if you need a jump start stand there with some jumper cables. You are in Mexico. When in Turkey....Gobble!

Fact: I offered to help a guy on my way home from work today (he didn't take it)

Ken Cooke - 10-16-2013 at 07:50 PM

Helping the Miranda family of Mexicali in need on Shell Island (with David K)

A few days later in the Sierra San Pedro Martir with a burned up transmission...(August 2001)

Desert Bull loaned me this new trailer to pull my junk home.

Problems in San Telmo prompted us to ask for help!

tonic water??

EdZeranski - 10-17-2013 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

.........and Aqua Velva, that allows me not to be a normal weakling that requires a stinking manual to make things happen!

Give it a try

Yep, tonic water and a lime and its good to go, even with no ice :lol::lol:

EdZ

stop or don't stop +/-

EdZeranski - 10-17-2013 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Also it is extremely dangerous to stop and assist on CA highways.

And it is illegal in some places. We've stopped in Baja for Mexicans and Americans. There is always extra water, jumper cables, some basic tools and fixaflat in the SUV. I carry my TCCC, tactical combat casualty care pack most of the time but have not, luckily, had to use it. The last time we stopped for something serious was north of the Army checkpoint above Guererro Negro just getting into the twisty mud hills. A flatbed semi trailer went wide into the southbound lane hitting a minivan right at the windshield post. Stayed with the folks, gave them water etc until other locals showed up and took over. The driver seemed in shock and wouldn't accept aid. I don't think the truck driver realized hit trailer clipped someone.

EdZ

Mexitron - 10-17-2013 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:

We helped pull the Tecate salesman out of some deep sand last time at Abreojos---figured that helped the good beer karma for awhile!

EdZeranski - 10-17-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

After all, we have met many ex-pats and visitors in Mexico who don't like Mexicans.

..and recently overheard at Guiermos in LA Bay
" Gringos are like cattle. We just milk them dry then throw them away". That give the old warm and fuzzy doesn't it?? Especially from folk who have done quite well at the "dairy".

EdZ

Marc - 10-18-2013 at 05:16 PM

I don't stop for Commies Just kidding:lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 10-18-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:

After all, we have met many ex-pats and visitors in Mexico who don't like Mexicans.

When/where did I say that? :?::?::?:

[Edited on 10-19-2013 by DENNIS]

Chupacabra - 10-22-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
pull my junk

No, but thanks for asking.