BajaNomad

Norteamericano Has Boat Seized

monoloco - 10-18-2013 at 07:26 PM

What the hell was this idiot thinking? No fishing license and a total disregard for limits. !4 wahoo? Over 178 kilos of fish? That's not sport fishing. Try leaving a couple for the next guy.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3161146.htm

I hope they throw the book at him.

[Edited on 10-19-2013 by monoloco]

MMc - 10-18-2013 at 07:44 PM

Hate these guys... I'm sure their story will be, how they got screwed in Mexico. F-em.

monoloco - 10-18-2013 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3161146.htm
A 178 kilo jurel? I love this newspaper... :)
Read it again, 178 kilos was the total weight of the fish onboard.
"Durante la inspección de la embarcación, los inspectores encontraron 14 pescados de la variedad "Wahoos", 1 dorado y 1 jurel con un peso de 178 kg"

55steve - 10-18-2013 at 08:28 PM

This is the type of thing that makes it real tough for the honest guys.

monoloco - 10-18-2013 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
"Durante la inspección de la embarcación, los inspectores encontraron 14 pescados de la variedad "Wahoos", 1 dorado y 1 jurel con un peso de 178 kg"

Uhh...supposing that this does mean the weight of all those fish together, how would you write it if the jurel actually did weigh 178kg? :)
I see your point, but I think it's pretty obvious what is meant in the article. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned that guy should lose his fishing privileges permanently.

aguachico - 10-19-2013 at 12:41 AM

Your Mex license allows for a three day limit on your boat. If this guy would have purchased a license, maybe he would have known this. I hope they lock his butt up for a long time.

Marinero - 10-19-2013 at 05:56 AM

Don't know about this area, but last Spring, early Summer Licenses were not available in the East Cape area for awhile. Not excusing his overfishing, just saying sometimes even if you try, you can't always follow all the rules all the time. We were told to fish anyway, license requirements would not be enforced until they were available (by the guy who should have been delivering licenses).

chippy - 10-19-2013 at 06:10 AM

Well what do you expect from a "bayliner" owner? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

monoloco - 10-19-2013 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
Don't know about this area, but last Spring, early Summer Licenses were not available in the East Cape area for awhile. Not excusing his overfishing, just saying sometimes even if you try, you can't always follow all the rules all the time. We were told to fish anyway, license requirements would not be enforced until they were available (by the guy who should have been delivering licenses).
Since licenses can be downloaded, availability should not be an issue.

monoloco - 10-19-2013 at 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Your Mex license allows for a three day limit on your boat.
I don't think that means you can catch 3 times your limit in one day

Pescador - 10-19-2013 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

But that is an interesting thought. When I went we overnighted at Santa Maria so we actually fished two days.

I heard that their boat and gear was taken. I will bet that the vigilantes wish they had been able to get a nicer boat.:lol:

shari - 10-19-2013 at 07:30 AM

It is my understanding that he may get his boat and gear back after he pays the fine...or not!

Remember anglers that if you are fishing on someone else's boat and get caught without a license, it is the boat owner who suffers the consequences!!! and may get his boat confiscated and kinda like going to jail, once you are in there, it's real hard to get out so it may take a long time and alot of red tape to get it out. I wonder if he had a tourist card? He may be in serious doo doo.

I am always amazed at how many fishermen ask me what the chances are of getting caught. We have lost clients because we require them to have a license and biosphere reserve permit....they just go over to the other charter operators who will take them out anyway....sheesh....so I am glad that this story gets circulated so people know it can happen. I wish there was better enforcement in this area too.

monoloco - 10-19-2013 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Quote:

But that is an interesting thought. When I went we overnighted at Santa Maria so we actually fished two days.

I heard that their boat and gear was taken. I will bet that the vigilantes wish they had been able to get a nicer boat.:lol:
What is the proper way to document multi-day catches? Presumably one would have to maintain the fish in the round since it is also illegal to fillet fish on the boat. What do they do on long range boats? I really don't think these guys will be able to claim that it was a multi day catch since the boat is obviously not big enough to overnight on. Personally, I think they were just being pigs and got caught.

MMc - 10-19-2013 at 08:47 AM

I think if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear if they are not spending the night off shore.

[Edited on 10-22-2013 by MMc]

monoloco - 10-19-2013 at 09:04 AM

I know Bill Ernhardt fishes this area a lot, it would be interesting to hear his take on this.

msteve1014 - 10-19-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I thing if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear they are not spending the night off shore.

That's not true. People do spent the night on boats like that. You may have a hard time convincing them unless you can show some covers, sleeping bags, or the like. But it is done, ask Bill E.

MMc - 10-19-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I thing if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear they are not spending the night off shore.

That's not true. People do spent the night on boats like that. You may have a hard time convincing them unless you can show some covers, sleeping bags, or the like. But it is done, ask Bill E.

OK, I'll go with that. The point is you need look like you're spending the on the boat.

msteve1014 - 10-19-2013 at 09:31 AM

A toothbrush would be a nice touch.;)

aguachico - 10-19-2013 at 10:44 AM

I have talked to the Conapesca rep. The three day limit is true as it states right on the license. It is however trumped by daily limits. So I guess you don't want three days of live fish in your hold.

I have fished out of san diego on a 22 foot cuddy for three days. I have kept slabbed fish on ice for the period. Slabbing is allowed as long as the fish is identifiable. Polar bear cooler bags are great for this type of fishing combined with snow ice from Ensenada.

The tourist permit is not an issue for fishing, but an immigration issue. That said, it is not in your best interest to be caught doing something illegal and be in the country illegally. $23 for 6 months is a no brainer.

I never have to worry about going over the limit as I'm not that good at fishing... except dorado fishing where only two fish per day makes no sense. Other than the dorado limit, I like the Mexican limit structure better than the states.

boe4fun - 10-19-2013 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
It is my understanding that he may get his boat and gear back after he pays the fine...or not!

Remember anglers that if you are fishing on someone else's boat and get caught without a license, it is the boat owner who suffers the consequences!!! and may get his boat confiscated and kinda like going to jail, once you are in there, it's real hard to get out so it may take a long time and alot of red tape to get it out. I wonder if he had a tourist card? He may be in serious doo doo.

I am always amazed at how many fishermen ask me what the chances are of getting caught. We have lost clients because we require them to have a license and biosphere reserve permit....they just go over to the other charter operators who will take them out anyway....sheesh....so I am glad that this story gets circulated so people know it can happen. I wish there was better enforcement in this area too.

I was driving our group of volunteers in La Paz a few years back when I slowed and stopped at a stop sign. Two Officers of the law were standing there and one of them signaled me to pull over which I did. He told me my front passenger was breaking the law by not wearing his seat belt. I showed him that I was wearing mine and he said that it was still my fault because I was the "capitan" - he let me go with a warning but I always tell everybody to buckle up now.

Wait a minute esse!

EdZeranski - 10-19-2013 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
.......... it is not in your best interest to be caught doing something illegal and be in the country illegally.

Only north of the border where that give you sainted status :lol::lol:

EdZ
Colonia Zaragossa

willardguy - 10-19-2013 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
I'd hate to trade this bad boy for a few fish and the cost of a license!:wow: (from BD)

bajacalifornian - 10-19-2013 at 03:29 PM

I believe I saw Bill headed eastbound on my way to Lopez Thursday.

The townsfolk of Lopez are peeed, as am I & friends who were chatting about.

willardguy - 10-19-2013 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
I believe I saw Bill headed eastbound on my way to Lopez Thursday.

The townsfolk of Lopez are peeed, as am I & friends who were chatting about.
what are the locals saying?

bajacalifornian - 10-19-2013 at 03:49 PM

To be accurate, I spoke with no specific local about the incident.

Hearsay from well rooted Americans who are founded with neighbors would be:

1) Americans hold Mexicans guilty of lacking understanding . . . of conservation.

2) The animals are not there to be sleighed in waist, or left dead on the beach.

3) Show our land respect . . . sort of thing.

bajacalifornian - 10-19-2013 at 03:58 PM

These are the same locals who scour beaches, seemingly anticipating a red tide.

They pick up hundreds of kilos of healthy meat, the last moments of circulatory and respiratory distress.

Hook - 10-19-2013 at 04:22 PM

Well, shame on that guy for ignoring Mexican limits and regs and license requirements................the way the Mexicans do. :rolleyes:

I dont condone it but there's 50 Mexicans flaunting regs over here for every gringo that does. Overlimits on dorado is probably the most common.

A lot of Mexicans dont set a very good example in their own country. Especially the commercial guys. And it's not just the giant seiners/trawlers. There are pangueros over here setting inshore gill nets and floating long lines offshore. Boy, one of those will ruin your evening, during a night-time crossing of the Sea!

The way the regs are ignored and go unenforced just encourages others to do it, too. The old "I gotta get mine, 'cause everyone else is" mentality.

Another casualty of the poor enforcement of regs in Mexico.:fire:

woody with a view - 10-19-2013 at 04:30 PM

it's like that on this side too, Hook! nobody cares about tomorrow.....

DaliDali - 10-19-2013 at 05:06 PM

Nearly everytime I go out fishing....I am guilty of over-limits.

15 to 20 macks or bigeyes in the tank for two anglers......busted!!!

Unless certain fishies have no limits???

[Edited on 10-20-2013 by DaliDali]

before limets

captkw - 10-19-2013 at 05:37 PM

I would catch what I could eat in two days and some for other campers..I have seen guys of all races go and kill everthing they could !! SOO Wrong !! And Willard guy...That boat is a I/O...aka not that good for the Salt... and not too long ago you could not go into a shop in SJ or cabo and have bottles and bottles of turtle lotion.. if you really want to see fire,, lets,, start talking about shark fins and liver....JEEEEZZ !!!....K&T

willardguy - 10-19-2013 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I would catch what I could eat in two days and some for other campers..I have seen guys of all races go and kill everthing they could !! SOO Wrong !! And Willard guy...That boat is a I/O...aka not that good for the Salt... and not too long ago you could not go into a shop in SJ or cabo and have bottles and bottles of turtle lotion.. if you really want to see fire,, lets,, start talking about shark fins and liver....JEEEEZZ !!!....K&T
from a different angle cappy!

"Suffering Suckatash"

captkw - 10-19-2013 at 06:23 PM

Me bad...I just took a quik glance and made the first mistke this year !!! and If you belive that ?...Wanna buy a cheap time share in cabo....LOL:lol: PS.. suks ARE good Motors IMO...K&T:cool: Who's for dinner !!

[Edited on 10-20-2013 by captkw]

[Edited on 10-20-2013 by captkw]

Hook - 10-19-2013 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Nearly everytime I go out fishing....I am guilty of over-limits.

15 to 20 macks or bigeyes in the tank for two anglers......busted!!!

Unless certain fishies have no limits???

Ha!!! I never thought about that! I guess I am guilty of that, too.

Paula - 10-19-2013 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Well, shame on that guy for ignoring Mexican limits and regs and license requirements................the way the Mexicans do. :rolleyes:

I dont condone it but there's 50 Mexicans flaunting regs over here for every gringo that does. Overlimits on dorado is probably the most common.

A lot of Mexicans dont set a very good example in their own country. Especially the commercial guys. And it's not just the giant seiners/trawlers. There are pangueros over here setting inshore gill nets and floating long lines offshore. Boy, one of those will ruin your evening, during a night-time crossing of the Sea!

The way the regs are ignored and go unenforced just encourages others to do it, too. The old "I gotta get mine, 'cause everyone else is" mentality.

Another casualty of the poor enforcement of regs in Mexico.:fire:

Not to make value judgements here, or to be reverse racist or anything, as I am an americana... but many of the local fishermen here are following a tradition set by generations. They have no other way to support their families, and it is their history and culture that the sea will take care of them. So they continue to do what they know how to do to provide for their families. It isn't like they can just move on to another job-- this is what they know. Poco a poco they are learning that marine life is finite, and that it is in their best long run interest to tighten the already tight belts and follow the new rules.

But foreigners who go over limit do so to take a big cooler of fish home to impress their friends, and probably end up throwing much of it away. It is not an economic necessity, they could buy the fish for waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy less than it costs to catch it. And if they just enjoy the sport, they can catch and release.

Both behaviors are destructive and counterproductive, one is understandalbe, the other is inexcusable.

Oh, and by the way, as to the 50 to 1 ratio thing... there may be 50 Mexican fishermen to every gringo. Let's hope so!

[Edited on 10-20-2013 by Paula]

BajaNomad - 10-19-2013 at 09:15 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=63560

BN,,paulina and any fisherman

captkw - 10-19-2013 at 09:28 PM

We all know that's its NOT a thin line between rape and sport and catch what you can !!>>>>>>>>I don't have the answer to fix it all>> but,,,,,,,,,,,The More ,,folks talk ,,the better !!! LETS ,MAKE A great PLACE FOR THE NEXT GEN,,,no ??????

mtgoat666 - 10-20-2013 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
e:

Big difference. Many Mexicans follow the rules. Many Mexicans fish for a living. The gringos fish for fun.

This gringo has fished Mexico for a long time and should know better!

practice catch and release!

Cypress - 10-20-2013 at 03:21 AM

There are limits for sports fishermen. Until quotas are placed on the commercial fishermen the fish stocks in the SOC and the Pacific side will continue to decline.

Cardon Man - 10-20-2013 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

...practice catch and release!

I'm not sure it's even practical, or ethical, to catch and release wahoo that have been caught trolling a marauder. For those who don't know, those lures use two really large single hooks. And in my experience they can rip up a fish's mouth/jaw big time. It's not at all like sticking a fish with a single circle hook, like the yachts at Cabo who catch and release huge numbers of marlin in a day ( not that I think it's ethical to release triple digits of marlin either ).

Let's face it...licenses or no...too many sport fishermen kill way too many fish. There are guys that go day after day with a boat full of buddies to harvest 5 wahoo each. Never mind the San Diego long range boats who take massive volume of fish from Mexican waters. Those big boats must take hundreds of wahoo off those banks on just one trip. When it gets to that level it might as well be commercial fishing.

aguachico - 10-20-2013 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Never mind the San Diego long range boats who take massive volume of fish from Mexican waters. Those big boats must take hundreds of wahoo off those banks on just one trip. When it gets to that level it might as well be commercial fishing.

Massive volume? Got numbers for that generalization?

San Diego long range is commercial fishing and they LEGALLY pay for that right to fish the waters allowed by the Mexican government.

I understand the jealousy and contempt for the well equipped million dollar fishing machines from San Diego, but it's not like you can get to the outter rocks on a panga...

MMc - 10-20-2013 at 08:03 AM

Let's face it...licenses or no...too many sport fishermen kill way too many fish.

A unlicensed fisherman is NOT a Sport Fisherman. It is very hard for a person using rod and reel staying with in posted limits to over fish a species. I hope these guys lose their boat.

DianaT - 10-20-2013 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

But foreigners who go over limit do so to take a big cooler of fish home to impress their friends, and probably end up throwing much of it away. It is not an economic necessity, they could buy the fish for waaaaaayyyyyyyyyy less than it costs to catch it. And if they just enjoy the sport, they can catch and release......

And locals do complain about the amount of fish that leave town in coolers. They don't complain about the fish that are caught and eaten for dinner.

It sounds like this guy deserved what happened, but I wonder when the stories will start about how terrible it was that he had his boat "stolen" by the Mexicans.

Just because so often many laws are not enforced --- laws like riding on the beach and the taking of shell fish are only enforced in certain areas, and then often much to the surprise of the law breaker.

Cardon Man - 10-20-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:

San Diego long range is commercial fishing and they LEGALLY pay for that right to fish the waters allowed by the Mexican government.

I understand the jealousy and contempt for the well equipped million dollar fishing machines from San Diego, but it's not like you can get to the outter rocks on a panga...

Geez...very defensive aquachico. Do you own a long ranger?
If you think they are not pounding the hell out of the best wahoo spots you are kidding yourself. That's their mission and they are damn good at it. And yes, you can access many great rocks in a panga. The guys that are the subject of this thread were doing exactly that. Believe it or not, Mexican captains don't exactly jump for joy when they see an American long ranger anchored on a rock they just drove two hours to reach in a panga. The government may get a nice pay day form the long rangers but your typical panga guy sure doesn't. You may read that as an attack on long rang activities but it's not meant to be. It's just an observation of reality.

Well hello

DaliDali - 10-20-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
I'd hate to trade this bad boy for a few fish and the cost of a license!:wow: (from BD)

3 anglers.....14 wahoo..........1 short of 3 limits when 5 is the limit per angler.
The dorado and jurel reported are also well within the limits.
Profepa does not have a legal case for over limits if 14 is accurate.

I wonder now if this photo is really the deal and the taken at the same time as the alleged offense? Or Willardguy just plucked it off the internet...different time frame?

Which makes one uneasy about the reporting of no fishing license either.

willardguy - 10-20-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3 anglers.....14 wahoo..........1 short of 3 limits when 5 is the limit per angler.

this is a file photo not from the day of the infraction. its unclear how many anglers were aboard.

DaliDali - 10-20-2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this is a file photo not from the day of the infraction. its unclear how many anglers were aboard.

Ok got it....thanks.
So you have no photos of the actual time/boat/anglers this violation allegedly occurred?

for the record

captkw - 10-20-2013 at 12:42 PM

bayliner made some Great boats in the late 70's,,... 20 -28 ft if I recall right..and then made entry level junk,,thanks newbrunswick co. any way Is there A pic of said boat or updated facts ???.......K&T

willardguy - 10-20-2013 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
bayliner made some Great boats in the late 70's,,... 20 -28 ft if I recall right..and then made entry level junk,,thanks newbrunswick co. any way Is there A pic of said boat or updated facts ???.......K&T
the boat in question is the one in the photo. if you look at the logo under "loreto bc sur mexico" thats the "bluewater" logo.not a bayliner.

[Edited on 10-20-2013 by willardguy]

aguachico - 10-21-2013 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:

Geez...very defensive aquachico. Do you own a long ranger?
If you think they are not pounding the hell out of the best wahoo spots you are kidding yourself. That's their mission and they are damn good at it. And yes, you can access many great rocks in a panga. The guys that are the subject of this thread were doing exactly that. Believe it or not, Mexican captains don't exactly jump for joy when they see an American long ranger anchored on a rock they just drove two hours to reach in a panga. The government may get a nice pay day form the long rangers but your typical panga guy sure doesn't. You may read that as an attack on long rang activities but it's not meant to be. It's just an observation of reality.

I do not have a hard on for the LR fleet. I'm just stating a fact of reality.

Your are fortunate to have such good fishing only two hours by panga.

shari - 10-22-2013 at 07:05 AM

I know there is resentment here towards the long range boats from San Diego.

There are only 3 sportfishing outfits in Asuncion and a small handful of cooperativa pangas fishing the inshore yellowtail spots and they do not appreciate those big boats fishing those holes...they catch more in a day than all the local boats put together and they rarely stop in town....perhaps anchor the night once in awhile but do not contribute at all to the local economy.

When the law that all the crew had to have work permits, that made it a bit more tolerable. But these boats dont have to have the biosphere permits that we all have to get which is very difficult, expensive and cumbersome.

Locals think to be fair, they should AT LEAST have to have the same permits as we do if they are fishing & diving our local inshore waters.

permits

captkw - 10-22-2013 at 08:54 AM

Hola shari,,what does the bio permits help do? as I used to take folks out the islands off La Paz and now I hear I would have get permits for such actions...is it just lining a few pocklets or does it buy gas to maintain a patrol boat ?? K&T

Hook - 10-22-2013 at 09:25 AM

I'd be curious to know how much the Mexican permit is that the sportboats have to buy to fish Mexican waters. I expect it is not a small amount; probably hundreds or thousands of dollars. If Mexico had their environmental/bureaucracy chit together, some of that should make it's way into whatever fund is for the biosphere.

Anybody have a friend in SAC or the SD fleet that can tell us what those permits cost?

So, the biosphere "tax" has been in place for, what, 2-3 years now? Can you point to physical signs of what the monies are being used for in the biosphere, Shari? Of course, it's a big biosphere, so it may not be evident in Asuncion.

I can see how a sportboat can have a short term impact on localized areas. But to compare their take to what the commercials are allowed to do is way off-base, IMO.

I must say, though, that I do applaud how this gringo bust has gotten lots of publicity. Acts like that are encouraged by the meager lack of enforcement that goes on in Mexico. People fish for years and are never asked for licenses, never checked for limits and begin to feel like it's open season all the time. It's good to see some high visibility enforcement.

I just hope the word gets out to the locals, too. Ultimately, the subsistence fishermen are the ones that will be hurt the most by the overfishing. Whether for livelihood or for sport, WRONG IS WRONG.

It's just hard to figure out the definition of wrong in Mexico when WRONG can be turned into RIGHT by greasing a few palms.............

shari - 10-22-2013 at 09:49 AM

there are several different levels of permisos that charter operators must get and you cant get those unless you pay costly insurance as well. The permits themselves are not overly expensive but what IS costly are the repeated trips to La Paz, Sta.Rosalia & Guerrero Negro one must make.

There are 3 local charter operators I know of who havent managed to keep up their permits due to the cost and there just isnt enough business to offset the cost...not even close. We have thought about not sport fishing either because we just cant seem to break even so we may eliminate one of our pangas...so this is one reason for the resentment to foreign fishing charter boats fishing here.
Hook, there are only 5-6 local pangas fishing yellowtail if that and they get around 100-300 kilos a trip which isnt very much.

The whale watching lagoons have the right idea making it exclusive so people have to use the local pangas and lancheros.

As far as the Biosphere Permits are concerned, lots of hoops to jump through and supposedly some of the $ is for the local bio employee and projects...although enforcement is very weak and there are blatant abuses everyone knows about but nobody does anything about for political reasons.

No current info but........

durrelllrobert - 10-22-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how much the Mexican permit is that the sportboats have to buy to fish Mexican waters. I expect it is not a small amount; probably hundreds or thousands of dollars. If Mexico had their environmental/bureaucracy chit together, some of that should make it's way into whatever fund is for the biosphere.

Anybody have a friend in SAC or the SD fleet that can tell us what those permits cost?

So, the biosphere "tax" has been in place for, what, 2-3 years now? Can you point to physical signs of what the monies are being used for in the biosphere, Shari? Of course, it's a big biosphere, so it may not be evident in Asuncion.

I can see how a sportboat can have a short term impact on localized areas. But to compare their take to what the commercials are allowed to do is way off-base, IMO.

I must say, though, that I do applaud how this gringo bust has gotten lots of publicity. Acts like that are encouraged by the meager lack of enforcement that goes on in Mexico. People fish for years and are never asked for licenses, never checked for limits and begin to feel like it's open season all the time. It's good to see some high visibility enforcement.

I just hope the word gets out to the locals, too. Ultimately, the subsistence fishermen are the ones that will be hurt the most by the overfishing. Whether for livelihood or for sport, WRONG IS WRONG.

It's just hard to figure out the definition of wrong in Mexico when WRONG can be turned into RIGHT by greasing a few palms.............

"In 2000-2001 the San Diego fleet ran 44 trips from San Diego with an average trip lasting 17 days roundtrip--with only 10 days of actual fishing. The trips carried a total of 869 passengers who caught 5,852 yellowfin tuna and 4,916 wahoo--an average of 6.7 yellowfin per passenger per trip and an average of 5.7 wahoo per passenger per trip.

It is estimated that the economic impact of the San Diego fleet to the U.S. economy is $5.5 million annually and the estimated economic impact of the San Diego fleet to Mexico is $2.9 million per year.

thomas.loc.gov › THOMAS Home › Committee Reports

[Edited on 10-22-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Hook - 10-22-2013 at 10:11 AM

I wasnt clear, Shari. I was wondering about the cost of the permit for the San Diego sportfishing fleet. Some of THAT money should be making it's way back to the biosphere IF your local government reps are smart enough to push for it from the "general fishing fund".

But , if the money isnt doing anything and enforcement is being ignored, well.............that's Mexico. Sounds like another "soak the plebs" scheme.

shari - 10-22-2013 at 11:29 AM

the LR fleet dont have biosphere permits for here so no money would come out way....I wouldnt say enforcement is ignored completely....lets just say it's selective enforcement.:no:

willardguy - 10-22-2013 at 12:14 PM

(from BD) the TWO anglers did have active licensees, but not on their person. after presenting them back on dry land they were written the citation, then they found the over limits.

Bubba - 10-22-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Hate these guys... I'm sure their story will be, how they got screwed in Mexico. F-em.

Ditto.

Mula - 10-22-2013 at 02:44 PM

Word on the street is that they got a fine.

The boat is still in the guy's yard here.

sd - 10-22-2013 at 04:06 PM

I have some experience with East Cape Baja fishing and San Diego multi day boats.

San Diego - have been aboard the Royal Polaris 5 night, Royal Star 5 night and 1.5 day trip multiple times. Both very professional operations. Can't be compared to panga fishing, a very different experience. I am not aware of how much the Mexican permits are, but each angler pays a share. Shari, if they added a cost for biosphere permit I would be fine with that. You have a good point.
East Cape - I fell in love with everything I experience here. Panga fishing is great fun. I have been going several times each year for over 10 years. ALWAYS the Captains and resort owners and staff have practiced catch and release as much as possible. NO BILLFISH kept is STRONGLY encouraged, limits are not exceeded and for the last few years the Captains make each angler show their license or we don't go fishing. My favorite Captain knows to release my fish, and we will at times each keep one fish for dinner, and we keep the gut hooked that probably would not survive as our 2 fish.

If a fisherman over the limit should loose his boat (some comments), should a drinking driver loose his car? Should you loose your Quad for riding on the beach? Lots of different opinions, but I realize many enjoy the limited enforcement of laws on many levels while in Baja.

MMc - 10-22-2013 at 04:41 PM

When they made drunk driving penalties real hard on people, drunk driving was reduced.
Did all 3 have licensees or just 2? Over limits is still poaching. Personally, I good with fines. The owner of the boat is responsible for everybody and all that happens on board.

Shari, How often do the SD boats fish your waters? I have fished 10 and 14 day trips and don't think we have ever pulled in to your area, I'm sure they do. The SD boats are fishing machines, but most watch the limits. I have told to reel in on a WFO bite because the Tuna were all 50-60 lbs. We were reminded that we wanted 150lbs fish as our target. I have fished for Grouper twice on these trips, Most trips are targeting Big Tuna, Wahoo, to a lesser degree Yt. and long ago Grouper. The fall ten day trip has changed from go for anything, to Cow Tuna(200+lb.) trip these days.
I do understand how the locals would get upset when one of SD fleet shows up in your back yard however. Like giving a secret away.