Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Norteamericano Has Boat Seized
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 07:26 PM
Norteamericano Has Boat Seized

What the hell was this idiot thinking? No fishing license and a total disregard for limits. !4 wahoo? Over 178 kilos of fish? That's not sport fishing. Try leaving a couple for the next guy.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3161146.htm

I hope they throw the book at him.

[Edited on 10-19-2013 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 07:44 PM

Hate these guys... I'm sure their story will be, how they got screwed in Mexico. F-em.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n3161146.htm
A 178 kilo jurel? I love this newspaper... :)
Read it again, 178 kilos was the total weight of the fish onboard.
"Durante la inspección de la embarcación, los inspectores encontraron 14 pescados de la variedad "Wahoos", 1 dorado y 1 jurel con un peso de 178 kg"

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:28 PM

This is the type of thing that makes it real tough for the honest guys.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2013 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
"Durante la inspección de la embarcación, los inspectores encontraron 14 pescados de la variedad "Wahoos", 1 dorado y 1 jurel con un peso de 178 kg"

Uhh...supposing that this does mean the weight of all those fish together, how would you write it if the jurel actually did weigh 178kg? :)
I see your point, but I think it's pretty obvious what is meant in the article. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned that guy should lose his fishing privileges permanently.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 12:41 AM

Your Mex license allows for a three day limit on your boat. If this guy would have purchased a license, maybe he would have known this. I hope they lock his butt up for a long time.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 05:56 AM

Don't know about this area, but last Spring, early Summer Licenses were not available in the East Cape area for awhile. Not excusing his overfishing, just saying sometimes even if you try, you can't always follow all the rules all the time. We were told to fish anyway, license requirements would not be enforced until they were available (by the guy who should have been delivering licenses).

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 06:10 AM

Well what do you expect from a "bayliner" owner? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
Don't know about this area, but last Spring, early Summer Licenses were not available in the East Cape area for awhile. Not excusing his overfishing, just saying sometimes even if you try, you can't always follow all the rules all the time. We were told to fish anyway, license requirements would not be enforced until they were available (by the guy who should have been delivering licenses).
Since licenses can be downloaded, availability should not be an issue.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Your Mex license allows for a three day limit on your boat.
I don't think that means you can catch 3 times your limit in one day

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

But that is an interesting thought. When I went we overnighted at Santa Maria so we actually fished two days.

I heard that their boat and gear was taken. I will bet that the vigilantes wish they had been able to get a nicer boat.:lol:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 07:30 AM

It is my understanding that he may get his boat and gear back after he pays the fine...or not!

Remember anglers that if you are fishing on someone else's boat and get caught without a license, it is the boat owner who suffers the consequences!!! and may get his boat confiscated and kinda like going to jail, once you are in there, it's real hard to get out so it may take a long time and alot of red tape to get it out. I wonder if he had a tourist card? He may be in serious doo doo.

I am always amazed at how many fishermen ask me what the chances are of getting caught. We have lost clients because we require them to have a license and biosphere reserve permit....they just go over to the other charter operators who will take them out anyway....sheesh....so I am glad that this story gets circulated so people know it can happen. I wish there was better enforcement in this area too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Quote:

But that is an interesting thought. When I went we overnighted at Santa Maria so we actually fished two days.

I heard that their boat and gear was taken. I will bet that the vigilantes wish they had been able to get a nicer boat.:lol:
What is the proper way to document multi-day catches? Presumably one would have to maintain the fish in the round since it is also illegal to fillet fish on the boat. What do they do on long range boats? I really don't think these guys will be able to claim that it was a multi day catch since the boat is obviously not big enough to overnight on. Personally, I think they were just being pigs and got caught.

MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 08:47 AM

I think if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear if they are not spending the night off shore.

[Edited on 10-22-2013 by MMc]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 09:04 AM

I know Bill Ernhardt fishes this area a lot, it would be interesting to hear his take on this.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I thing if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear they are not spending the night off shore.

That's not true. People do spent the night on boats like that. You may have a hard time convincing them unless you can show some covers, sleeping bags, or the like. But it is done, ask Bill E.
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I thing if you are on a boat that it a sport boat like this one, it's pretty clear they are not spending the night off shore.

That's not true. People do spent the night on boats like that. You may have a hard time convincing them unless you can show some covers, sleeping bags, or the like. But it is done, ask Bill E.

OK, I'll go with that. The point is you need look like you're spending the on the boat.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 09:31 AM

A toothbrush would be a nice touch.;)
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 10:44 AM

I have talked to the Conapesca rep. The three day limit is true as it states right on the license. It is however trumped by daily limits. So I guess you don't want three days of live fish in your hold.

I have fished out of san diego on a 22 foot cuddy for three days. I have kept slabbed fish on ice for the period. Slabbing is allowed as long as the fish is identifiable. Polar bear cooler bags are great for this type of fishing combined with snow ice from Ensenada.

The tourist permit is not an issue for fishing, but an immigration issue. That said, it is not in your best interest to be caught doing something illegal and be in the country illegally. $23 for 6 months is a no brainer.

I never have to worry about going over the limit as I'm not that good at fishing... except dorado fishing where only two fish per day makes no sense. Other than the dorado limit, I like the Mexican limit structure better than the states.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-19-2013 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
It is my understanding that he may get his boat and gear back after he pays the fine...or not!

Remember anglers that if you are fishing on someone else's boat and get caught without a license, it is the boat owner who suffers the consequences!!! and may get his boat confiscated and kinda like going to jail, once you are in there, it's real hard to get out so it may take a long time and alot of red tape to get it out. I wonder if he had a tourist card? He may be in serious doo doo.

I am always amazed at how many fishermen ask me what the chances are of getting caught. We have lost clients because we require them to have a license and biosphere reserve permit....they just go over to the other charter operators who will take them out anyway....sheesh....so I am glad that this story gets circulated so people know it can happen. I wish there was better enforcement in this area too.

I was driving our group of volunteers in La Paz a few years back when I slowed and stopped at a stop sign. Two Officers of the law were standing there and one of them signaled me to pull over which I did. He told me my front passenger was breaking the law by not wearing his seat belt. I showed him that I was wearing mine and he said that it was still my fault because I was the "capitan" - he let me go with a warning but I always tell everybody to buckle up now.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.