BajaNomad

First time nailed at the Border

Steve&Debby - 11-12-2013 at 08:57 PM

Hauled a load of building materials down to the house this weekend.Got to the border crossing in Calexico,Inspector asked me to open the trailer and all he said was OOOOOOOOO, wait here.
When he came back with another Inspector they said I would have to pay. I gave them the receipt for the material and he said to go to the little building and pay. They said it would be 16% of the cost for the material. I ended up paying $423.00. Ouch. I have taken furniture, a TV ,and other stuff and they looked and said go ahead.

Ken Cooke - 11-12-2013 at 08:59 PM

bummer:(

Ouch!!

captkw - 11-12-2013 at 09:00 PM

Can you please tell us more info ???....PS...Is this the new IVA 16 percent???

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by captkw]

Steve&Debby - 11-12-2013 at 09:10 PM

I do not speak much Spanish ,so it is hard for me to get much information out of them. When I asked what sets them off to charge a tax he said that the amount of material I was bringing in was large and that is what did it. I had 60 sheets of sheet rock, 18 sheets of plywood and various lengths of 2x4 's. two toilets,three ceiling fans,lights and misc. nails and sheet rock screws. In other words I had a load.
The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00. I questioned her and she pointed at the Paso, Dollar exchange and said that was what I owed.

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by Steve&;Debby]

thanx for the reply

captkw - 11-12-2013 at 09:52 PM

speaking Spanglish is the first baby step....I started with watching the mex news (notica's) and asking !!that's a heavy import fee !!!

55steve - 11-12-2013 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
speaking Spanglish is the first baby step....I started with watching the mex news (notica's) and asking !!that's a heavy import fee !!!

I'm pretty sure you watched the Mex news for the weather gals...

Hook - 11-12-2013 at 11:18 PM

Pretty sure it's been 16% for a while. I dont think this is the IVA tax.

Were you in the Nothing to Declare line or did you willingly enter the Declare line?

OK, you got caught. Even with that 16%, you beat the pants off of what those materials would cost you in Mexico. Many things can be 50-200% more.

Now, defray that 423.00 over all the materials you got away with during the build. Pretty insignificant, isnt it?

Not trying to bust your bolos on this. Just trying to give it some perspective.

I have been driving stuff down for five years since I moved here and (outside of my initial move, when I declared my household goods) have never paid another cent of the import tax. But I am not taking things down the size of you. My time will come, I am sure.

Hey, you got quality American goods down there for less than you could have purchased them IN Mexico, if you could even find them. You're still well ahead of the game.

Thanks for reporting this. Aduana encounters are always interesting to hear.

msteve1014 - 11-13-2013 at 05:53 AM

The trigger was that you had enough stuff to build a house.
Show up with 1 sheet of plywood and 4 2x4s. It is not worth their time to do the paperwork.

Russ - 11-13-2013 at 06:00 AM

I'm thinking like Hook on this. Feels like a large hit all at once but It's over and you now have a receipt to show if asked. Good luck with the construction.

RnR - 11-13-2013 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby

The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00.

Take a look at the import papers prepared by INM. The imported stuff should be itemized on the papers. There may have been a fine included in addition to the duty. The bank receipt will only show the total paid.

The import duty has been 16% for a long time. It is not the new IVA.

At 16% duty, the $423 USD that you paid was calculated on a value of the items of $2,643 USD, (without any fines). Was your stuff worth more than this?

And, here's the biggie. Bringing in undeclared items is defined as "smuggling". If INM had treated it as smuggling, they could have confiscated all of the stuff AND both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Just saying......

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 07:37 AM

Try bringing a trailer load of dutiable items across the US border without declaring them and see what happens, 400 bucks will seem like nothing.

Pescador - 11-13-2013 at 07:50 AM

When we built, it was an automatic stop at Tecate, with a declaration of what I had purchased and then they figured the amount from Dollars into Pesos and then I paid at the bank next door. If you do that, then keep the receipts, they will help you should you sell your property, with capital gains. Only because they were a little lax on enforcing the law, people came to expect to be able to haul stuff through without paying, but the new agents are educated, trained, and smart. If you lowball the prices, they can look up a price on Home Depot quicker than most expats.

Alan - 11-13-2013 at 08:19 AM

I've never had it happen since but when I first moved to La Paz 7 years ago I crossed at San Ysidro, paid the duty on the items I was bringing down and was on my way. When I arrived at Guererro Negro they specifically asked to see the receipt to ensure I had paid the duty but I don't think they have an Aduana office there anymore. I just thought it was interesting

BaldEagleMav - 11-13-2013 at 09:39 AM

Construction materials have had a 16% import duty for a long time. I paid it various times while building my house in TJ. I never declared, but sometimes the load was caught visually by the aduana folks standing at the border looking for this sort of thing (along with big-screen TVs). When they did catch me, I was directed to pull into the declaration area, show my receipts and pay the import duty.

I always figured it was still cheaper than buying these particular items in Mexico - especially when averaged out with the various loads that were not caught!

Also, as someone mentioned above, some of these items were just plain not available in Mexico (ex: vinyl-framed double-glazed windows)

Regards,
Baldeaglemav

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I've never had it happen since but when I first moved to La Paz 7 years ago I crossed at San Ysidro, paid the duty on the items I was bringing down and was on my way. When I arrived at Guererro Negro they specifically asked to see the receipt to ensure I had paid the duty but I don't think they have an Aduana office there anymore. I just thought it was interesting
Sometimes they have retens where they will check your import papers, and the Federal de Caminos will also sometimes ask for them. That is why it's better to follow the law and voluntarily declare your load, it's easy, they're fair, and it doesn't take too long to do, then you're covered. Without the import receipt you are a target for multas y mordidas.

durrelllrobert - 11-13-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby

The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00.

Take a look at the import papers prepared by INM. The imported stuff should be itemized on the papers. There may have been a fine included in addition to the duty. The bank receipt will only show the total paid.

The import duty has been 16% for a long time. It is not the new IVA.

At 16% duty, the $423 USD that you paid was calculated on a value of the items of $2,643 USD, (without any fines). Was your stuff worth more than this?

And, here's the biggie. Bringing in undeclared items is defined as "smuggling". If INM had treated it as smuggling, they could have confiscated all of the stuff AND both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Just saying......

This site shows the import duty on building materials for most countries and it shows that for Mexico the 16% is IVA

www.dutycalculator.com/.../import-duty-rate-for-importing-building-ma...

Import.......HS............ MFN...Sales....Additional
to..............commodity. duty. tax/..... duties
country......code.......... rate...IVA......& taxes
________________________________________-
Mexico..... 7020.00.99....0%...16%.... DTA (0.8% CIFD)
USA........ 7020.00.60....5%....Depends on state

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by durrelllrobert]

redmesa - 11-13-2013 at 10:36 AM

As I understand it if I import goods manufactured in the US into Canada there are no import duties but federal & provincial taxes do apply. That is under NAFTA. I thought this would also apply to the Mexican border as well as all 3 nations are signatories to that agreement.

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
As I understand it if I import goods manufactured in the US into Canada there are no import duties but federal & provincial taxes do apply. That is under NAFTA. I thought this would also apply to the Mexican border as well as all 3 nations are signatories to that agreement.
Do they still manufacture goods in the USSA and Canada?lol.

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2013 at 12:18 PM

It is a letdown when one gets nailed but such fun when you breeze through!

BajaOkie - 11-13-2013 at 05:56 PM

Howdy,

Just crossed at Tecate on Nov. 11 early and was met with 8 to 10 inspectors. There were three lanes now to enter Mexico but only one had the green light so I took that. After across I was waved down to stop. I get stopped every time I cross so no big deal.

The lead agent with three assistants asked to inspect. No problem as usual but when they got to my trailer they required the registration to it, also to my ATV and to my wifes dirt bike. I had each of the toys but not the trailer. In Oklahoma no plates are required on trailers so I did not have anything but proof of my insurance which he took.

Everyone was very professional and also I was asked if I had any alcohol or wine, guns and drugs (of course) and also if I had $10,000 dollars. I smiled and said no to everything, my name is not Trump.

A little more inspection than used to at Tecate but no problems - also now they have 4 Dodge trucks parked on both sides of the road.

KC in Mulege

Bajahowodd - 11-13-2013 at 05:59 PM

So if you had bought all the materials at Home Depot in Mexico, you would have come out ahead.

Steve&Debby - 11-13-2013 at 09:35 PM

I agree I am still ahead of the game. I went in the far left lane , I think it say autobusses or something like that. My trailer is a 24 foot enclosed car hauler that I pull with a Dodge Mega Cab. The last time I went through the lane to the right they told me to use the lanes on the left next time.
We looked in the Home Depot in Mexicali, very high prices,we talked to the Home Depot in El Centro they told us that the Mexicans buy from them and take it back to Mexico.
I bought the material at Lowes, they gave me a better price and 18 months 0 interest:biggrin::biggrin:

Hook - 11-14-2013 at 05:35 AM

Yeah, most of us that live down here know that it is often much cheaper to buy at an HD/Lowes in the States than buy it at one down here.

It would be very interesting to check your receipt and see if you might have gotten a fine for not declaring. Although, if you had been told in the past to use lanes that are NOT declare lines (because of your size), then that would be part of my argument if they tried to fine me for not declaring.

So, did you get the red light or did they just wave you over? In my truck camper, even when I get the green light, they want to look in the back.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by Hook]

mcfez - 11-14-2013 at 07:05 AM

If you can afford to rent/buy land or a house in Baja..............then you should be able to afford to pay their import taxes. Yes.......the home building supply stores in Baja have exceeding prices.......but we all knew this before we secured a chunk of paradise.

Welcome to my world!

bajaorchid - 11-14-2013 at 11:09 AM

Wow. This web site so hits home. This is a normality in life for me. You got lucky you were not sent to an Agencia Aduanal for all that wood! That normally has to be inspected and not just looked at. I feel I should work for Mexican Aduanas since I pretty much know what I can and cannot cross or get away with. Tee-hee!

Building material is a definite must pay. Especially in the quantities that you had. You still did good my friends. Everyone here is correct about saving by shopping in the US for you construction materials. You save and get better quality stuff in the states.

Oh yeah and the part where there can be a FEDERAL checkpoint is true. You need to have the aduanas paperwork in order cuz if that Federal officer doesn't feel you paid the right amount you could face a nastier situation there.

Let's just follow the rules gang and all will be well. Once you are done building your piece of heaven you will see that it was all worth it!

;D

laventana - 11-15-2013 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
that is suppose to be accurate... But the quirk in the system is you would have to hire a customs broker to clear it.

They have a bunch of them at Otay Mesa on the right. In theory if you have about 3-4 k can not remember the exact amount you must cross at Otay and use a broker.

this is true in the USA too, fly in from anywhere in the world and exceed the personal level with items and you have to pay duty, but these same items if I use my customs broker they generally are duty free. I have a US continuous bond for my business but a bond fee per shipment is about $150.00 and broker about the same.

[Edited on 11-15-2013 by laventana]

Steve&Debby - 11-15-2013 at 09:50 PM

Hook, I was told last time I crossed to go to the left lanes because of the length of my car hauler and truck. I went to the left lane and there was a cone in the lane, so i pulled up to it and shut my truck off and got out and waited for an Inspector. When the Inspector came over I told him that I had building material in the trailer and opened the door that is when he said OOOO. Is that the proper way to declare?????
I did not go to a bank,unless that little building to the left is a bank. The little building is where they figured what I owed and I paid it. I was not trying to hide anything,kind of hard to hide a 24 foot trailer full of building materials:lol::lol:

Mcfez , I posted this not to complain about the fee,but just to let other people know what happened when I crossed and how much the fee was. I have no problem paying the fee,this was just the first time I had to pay a fee. I have taken the same trailer full of furniture and a TV , another time I took my horse trailer with big load of tile.Both times I showed the inspector and asked if I needed to pay and they said to go ahead ,and I did.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by Steve&;Debby]

Nappo - 11-15-2013 at 10:49 PM

Wondering if a small freezer to put our catch in for return to US would be a problem going across. Spending a week or two in Baja, vacuum sealing fish and keeping it in a freezer to bring back. Don't think the US guys would have a problem, but what about bringing it down. Have seen a few guys with great rigs and freezers ...

DavidE - 11-16-2013 at 05:08 PM

So nice crossing in a little car, overload springs, rear end up. The aduaneros took one look at the attitude of the suspension and yawned. Keep going.

With a load I ALWAYS stop and greet the aduanero with a gentle handshake. A knuckebuster will cost me a hundred bucks more. I always start off with. "Can you help me with this please?"

RnR is right on the money. Trying to blow through with undeclared merchandise can legally cause the following to happen...

You are stopped. The Aduanero says you have committed an infraccion.

They are legally entitled to keep your vehicles by law. Until you show them receipts for all of the merchandise. If you have no merchandise sales receipts, they can ESTIMATE the worth of the contraband.

Now it gets fun...

They are legally entitled to fine you 300% of their calculated value of the load. Have three thousand dollars of cargo? The fine can be NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Then after paying Banjercito in cash or credit card. They will release your vehicles

AND KEEP THE UNDECLARED MERCHANDISE

This happened to a cruising sailboat owner who brought back a ton of stuff for his boat and did not declare it. His fine was fifteen thousand dollars. His truck and toy hauler was worth three times that. All at the 21 km checkpoint at Agua Zarca Sonora.

If you get caught and get nailed for less, you've skated. Spanish speakers should inquire about this. The law is fascinating.