Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First time nailed at the Border
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 08:57 PM
First time nailed at the Border

Hauled a load of building materials down to the house this weekend.Got to the border crossing in Calexico,Inspector asked me to open the trailer and all he said was OOOOOOOOO, wait here.
When he came back with another Inspector they said I would have to pay. I gave them the receipt for the material and he said to go to the little building and pay. They said it would be 16% of the cost for the material. I ended up paying $423.00. Ouch. I have taken furniture, a TV ,and other stuff and they looked and said go ahead.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 08:59 PM

bummer:(

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 09:00 PM
Ouch!!

Can you please tell us more info ???....PS...Is this the new IVA 16 percent???

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by captkw]
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 09:10 PM

I do not speak much Spanish ,so it is hard for me to get much information out of them. When I asked what sets them off to charge a tax he said that the amount of material I was bringing in was large and that is what did it. I had 60 sheets of sheet rock, 18 sheets of plywood and various lengths of 2x4 's. two toilets,three ceiling fans,lights and misc. nails and sheet rock screws. In other words I had a load.
The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00. I questioned her and she pointed at the Paso, Dollar exchange and said that was what I owed.

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by Steve&;Debby]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 09:52 PM
thanx for the reply

speaking Spanglish is the first baby step....I started with watching the mex news (notica's) and asking !!that's a heavy import fee !!!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
speaking Spanglish is the first baby step....I started with watching the mex news (notica's) and asking !!that's a heavy import fee !!!

I'm pretty sure you watched the Mex news for the weather gals...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 11:18 PM

Pretty sure it's been 16% for a while. I dont think this is the IVA tax.

Were you in the Nothing to Declare line or did you willingly enter the Declare line?

OK, you got caught. Even with that 16%, you beat the pants off of what those materials would cost you in Mexico. Many things can be 50-200% more.

Now, defray that 423.00 over all the materials you got away with during the build. Pretty insignificant, isnt it?

Not trying to bust your bolos on this. Just trying to give it some perspective.

I have been driving stuff down for five years since I moved here and (outside of my initial move, when I declared my household goods) have never paid another cent of the import tax. But I am not taking things down the size of you. My time will come, I am sure.

Hey, you got quality American goods down there for less than you could have purchased them IN Mexico, if you could even find them. You're still well ahead of the game.

Thanks for reporting this. Aduana encounters are always interesting to hear.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 05:53 AM

The trigger was that you had enough stuff to build a house.
Show up with 1 sheet of plywood and 4 2x4s. It is not worth their time to do the paperwork.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 06:00 AM

I'm thinking like Hook on this. Feels like a large hit all at once but It's over and you now have a receipt to show if asked. Good luck with the construction.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby

The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00.

Take a look at the import papers prepared by INM. The imported stuff should be itemized on the papers. There may have been a fine included in addition to the duty. The bank receipt will only show the total paid.

The import duty has been 16% for a long time. It is not the new IVA.

At 16% duty, the $423 USD that you paid was calculated on a value of the items of $2,643 USD, (without any fines). Was your stuff worth more than this?

And, here's the biggie. Bringing in undeclared items is defined as "smuggling". If INM had treated it as smuggling, they could have confiscated all of the stuff AND both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Just saying......
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 07:37 AM

Try bringing a trailer load of dutiable items across the US border without declaring them and see what happens, 400 bucks will seem like nothing.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 07:50 AM

When we built, it was an automatic stop at Tecate, with a declaration of what I had purchased and then they figured the amount from Dollars into Pesos and then I paid at the bank next door. If you do that, then keep the receipts, they will help you should you sell your property, with capital gains. Only because they were a little lax on enforcing the law, people came to expect to be able to haul stuff through without paying, but the new agents are educated, trained, and smart. If you lowball the prices, they can look up a price on Home Depot quicker than most expats.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 08:19 AM

I've never had it happen since but when I first moved to La Paz 7 years ago I crossed at San Ysidro, paid the duty on the items I was bringing down and was on my way. When I arrived at Guererro Negro they specifically asked to see the receipt to ensure I had paid the duty but I don't think they have an Aduana office there anymore. I just thought it was interesting

In Memory of E-57
BaldEagleMav

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:39 AM

Construction materials have had a 16% import duty for a long time. I paid it various times while building my house in TJ. I never declared, but sometimes the load was caught visually by the aduana folks standing at the border looking for this sort of thing (along with big-screen TVs). When they did catch me, I was directed to pull into the declaration area, show my receipts and pay the import duty.

I always figured it was still cheaper than buying these particular items in Mexico - especially when averaged out with the various loads that were not caught!

Also, as someone mentioned above, some of these items were just plain not available in Mexico (ex: vinyl-framed double-glazed windows)

Regards,
Baldeaglemav
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I've never had it happen since but when I first moved to La Paz 7 years ago I crossed at San Ysidro, paid the duty on the items I was bringing down and was on my way. When I arrived at Guererro Negro they specifically asked to see the receipt to ensure I had paid the duty but I don't think they have an Aduana office there anymore. I just thought it was interesting
Sometimes they have retens where they will check your import papers, and the Federal de Caminos will also sometimes ask for them. That is why it's better to follow the law and voluntarily declare your load, it's easy, they're fair, and it doesn't take too long to do, then you're covered. Without the import receipt you are a target for multas y mordidas.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby

The first time they figured it, it was 300 some odd dollars.Then she said I owed the $423.00.

Take a look at the import papers prepared by INM. The imported stuff should be itemized on the papers. There may have been a fine included in addition to the duty. The bank receipt will only show the total paid.

The import duty has been 16% for a long time. It is not the new IVA.

At 16% duty, the $423 USD that you paid was calculated on a value of the items of $2,643 USD, (without any fines). Was your stuff worth more than this?

And, here's the biggie. Bringing in undeclared items is defined as "smuggling". If INM had treated it as smuggling, they could have confiscated all of the stuff AND both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Just saying......

This site shows the import duty on building materials for most countries and it shows that for Mexico the 16% is IVA

www.dutycalculator.com/.../import-duty-rate-for-importing-building-ma...

Import.......HS............ MFN...Sales....Additional
to..............commodity. duty. tax/..... duties
country......code.......... rate...IVA......& taxes
________________________________________-
Mexico..... 7020.00.99....0%...16%.... DTA (0.8% CIFD)
USA........ 7020.00.60....5%....Depends on state

[Edited on 11-13-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:36 AM

As I understand it if I import goods manufactured in the US into Canada there are no import duties but federal & provincial taxes do apply. That is under NAFTA. I thought this would also apply to the Mexican border as well as all 3 nations are signatories to that agreement.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
As I understand it if I import goods manufactured in the US into Canada there are no import duties but federal & provincial taxes do apply. That is under NAFTA. I thought this would also apply to the Mexican border as well as all 3 nations are signatories to that agreement.
Do they still manufacture goods in the USSA and Canada?lol.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 12:18 PM

It is a letdown when one gets nailed but such fun when you breeze through!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaOkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 05:56 PM

Howdy,

Just crossed at Tecate on Nov. 11 early and was met with 8 to 10 inspectors. There were three lanes now to enter Mexico but only one had the green light so I took that. After across I was waved down to stop. I get stopped every time I cross so no big deal.

The lead agent with three assistants asked to inspect. No problem as usual but when they got to my trailer they required the registration to it, also to my ATV and to my wifes dirt bike. I had each of the toys but not the trailer. In Oklahoma no plates are required on trailers so I did not have anything but proof of my insurance which he took.

Everyone was very professional and also I was asked if I had any alcohol or wine, guns and drugs (of course) and also if I had $10,000 dollars. I smiled and said no to everything, my name is not Trump.

A little more inspection than used to at Tecate but no problems - also now they have 4 Dodge trucks parked on both sides of the road.

KC in Mulege
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.