BajaNomad

Great Fishing In Pescadero (edit) Updated Fotos

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 08:53 AM

There are lots of marlin congregating just offshore, boats are running all the way up here from Cabo. Fortunately, the locals here don't have to spend $500 in fuel to enjoy good fishing. Went out yesterday in rough seas at 9:30am, caught 3 marlin, (kept 2) and was back on the beach by 11:30 with 3/4's of a tank of fuel left.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by monoloco]

watizname - 11-13-2013 at 08:57 AM

Kept two?? Uh Oh, here it comes.

msteve1014 - 11-13-2013 at 09:00 AM

It's that time of the year, isn't it? I'm on my way.

chuckie - 11-13-2013 at 09:04 AM

Smoke em, eat em...

Skipjack Joe - 11-13-2013 at 09:07 AM

Holy Smokes. You caught marlin from a tin boat? You must be pretty good. Not to mention launching through that surf.

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
There were two of us in the boat, it was a legal limit and neither fish would have survived, one had the hook through its eye and the other had two hooks stuck in it's gullet. Not that we wouldn't have kept them anyway because they are great eating.

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy Smokes. You caught marlin from a tin boat? You must be pretty good. Not to mention launching through that surf.
I actually think that it's easier from a small boat because you can reel the boat to the fish without fighting the weight of the boat, plus it's easy to slide the fish in over the low transom. The seas were a little tricky getting out yesterday, close swell with steep faces breaking outside on a low tide, we had to wait about 10-15 minutes for a lull we could manage. Timing is everything.

Skipjack Joe - 11-13-2013 at 09:45 AM

Still, that's pretty impressive.

That's a 13'8" Gregor as far as I can tell. Their rated for about 550lbs. Two guys = 350lbs. Two marlin = 200 lbs. Motor about 100lbs. Ice box and tackle 50lbs(?). And going through the surf. Yahoo!!

Looks like the 'captain' is left handed. I balance my boat that way as well, one on the left and the other on the right.

Those Gregors take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Small boats

captkw - 11-13-2013 at 09:46 AM

I agree..small boats lets you fish 360 degrees and on my small cat its stable as a Rock,dock !! much more fishy than a sport cruiser and faster and a LOT less fuel !!! Not to mention you can drag (tow) it about any where !!!

watizname - 11-13-2013 at 09:59 AM

Quote:

Not a comment on the morality of keeping the fish, especially if you are going to eat them. BUT, there have been threads on these boards that have gone on for days about taking billfish.

msteve1014 - 11-13-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:

I have to say I'm a little confused by your response. Yesterday you went on a rant about keeping leopard grouper but seem impressed by 2 dead marlin, even before he explained why they kept them.:?:

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Still, that's pretty impressive.

That's a 13'8" Gregor as far as I can tell. Their rated for about 550lbs. Two guys = 350lbs. Two marlin = 200 lbs. Motor about 100lbs. Ice box and tackle 50lbs(?). And going through the surf. Yahoo!!

Looks like the 'captain' is left handed. I balance my boat that way as well, one on the left and the other on the right.

Those Gregors take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Joe, It's a 14' Klamath, about the same though. I've been using this one for 13 years and it's holding together well. That 15 hp Honda will get it right up on a plane even loaded with two guys and all their gear, and I usually use 3 gallons of fuel or less on a trip. I have always operated outboards with my left hand, it leaves the right free to handle a rod and reel. I have the boat set up to troll up to 6 lines, but most of the time we troll 3, I have it set up with a two rod holders at different angles within easy reach of my right hand, two on the left side, and two on the transom. I have down rigger clips on the transom that I can clip two lines into to run flat and close, there are many days that those are the most productive lines. I often think that I'd like a bigger boat until I see the guys with larger boats struggle for a half hour getting their boat back on the trailer from the beach, it's just so much easier with a small boat, I can load everything up, drive to the beach, and be out fishing in less than an hour. I think I end up going fishing more than I would with a larger boat, of course two boats would be ideal, I just have to convince my wife of that.

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Not a comment on the morality of keeping the fish, especially if you are going to eat them. BUT, there have been threads on these boards that have gone on for days about taking billfish.
Personally, I don't believe in targeting a fish I don't intend to eat. Why go out and deliberately torture and injure a fish, then turn it loose? From what I've experienced around here, marlin are not endangered any more than wahoo, which are an even rarer catch, yet no one would ever release a wahoo.

Hoo's

captkw - 11-13-2013 at 10:32 AM

I'd eat Wahoo any day over a strip....I have seen Hoo's stacked liked cord wood outside of san carlos..(mag bay) If memory serves correct,,, I think its around oct.:cool:

Skipjack Joe - 11-13-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:

I have to say I'm a little confused by your response. Yesterday you went on a rant about keeping leopard grouper but seem impressed by 2 dead marlin, even before he explained why they kept them.:?:

Sometimes I confuse myself as well.

Given that you feel my objections are 'rants' I won't explain. I don't think it would make a bit of difference to you anyway.

msteve1014 - 11-13-2013 at 10:50 AM

You could explain why leopard grouper are off limits, but billfish are ok, in your mind.

gonetobaja - 11-13-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
You could explain why leopard grouper are off limits, but billfish are ok, in your mind.

:smug:

Ok I got to admit I was thinking that too.....

Nice bills by the way Monoloco.

Skipjack Joe - 11-13-2013 at 11:08 AM

A. You misquoted me. I didn't say leopards are off limits. I said that targeting the biggest leopards is harmful to the fishery and should stop.

B. Marlin are the best managed fishery in Baja. It's the only fishery in baja that Mexico has a handle on. The rest are laws without any numerical support.

I've compared it all to Alaskan fishery management in the past. You can look for old threads.

I really don't want to bring all that up on this thread.

BajaRat - 11-13-2013 at 10:02 PM

Monoloco, your livin the dream, one of the coolest fishing shots I've seen in a while. Heck, you could send someone for ice and get a few waves.
Good stuff, fun report. Thanks :yes:

Frank - 11-13-2013 at 10:29 PM

Monoloco, Ive got the same boat and a bigger 25 Wellcraft. Can you guess which one gets used more? Yes, its the 14' Klamath. I somehow loose the feeling of the ocean in the bigger boat.

I can feel the temp breaks barefoot in the Klamath, and it makes me slow down and fish areas harder. Easier to see and smell the signs too.

Id sell the big boat right now, but Id take a huge bath on it, so she sits and waits for the longer runs or an improved boat market.

Keep posting up your fish reports, it helps us poor working guys see a little daylight while we are in the coal mines.

monoloco - 11-14-2013 at 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Monoloco, your livin the dream, one of the coolest fishing shots I've seen in a while. Heck, you could send someone for ice and get a few waves.
Good stuff, fun report. Thanks :yes:
Thanks, actually, I stayed at the beach and had a couple of hours of good body surfing after we filleted the fish and packed them in the cooler.

monoloco - 11-14-2013 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Monoloco, Ive got the same boat and a bigger 25 Wellcraft. Can you guess which one gets used more? Yes, its the 14' Klamath. I somehow loose the feeling of the ocean in the bigger boat.

I can feel the temp breaks barefoot in the Klamath, and it makes me slow down and fish areas harder. Easier to see and smell the signs too.

Id sell the big boat right now, but Id take a huge bath on it, so she sits and waits for the longer runs or an improved boat market.

Keep posting up your fish reports, it helps us poor working guys see a little daylight while we are in the coal mines.
I'll be heading out again in a couple of hours, I'll post some more photos if we do any good. I can't even hear any waves, so it should be nice and calm today, which is good because the tide will be very low when we come in and there is a very shallow sandbar right now.

tiotomasbcs - 11-14-2013 at 07:16 AM

Beautiful weather the last few days with warm water and light winds. Local fishing tournament this weekend called the Buzzbee! Go getem, amigo. Good time to be in Baja. Pura Vida. Tio

Mono..loco

captkw - 11-14-2013 at 08:07 AM

Tight lines and rip some lips...LOL ...Do you know a guy named ERNIE or Mike Hanson...right above the church???..myself,,, fixing boats But....Wishing I was Fishing...K&T:cool:

Hook - 11-14-2013 at 08:27 AM

Quote:

B. Marlin are the best managed fishery in Baja. It's the only fishery in baja that Mexico has a handle on. The rest are laws without any numerical support.

I suspect you must mean scientific numeric support, because the numeric support in pesos is behind the management of Mexican fisheries. Pesos support officials to look the other way at the regs.

Actually, it's largely peso-based management that has caused the marlin fishery to be so well managed. Having lots of marlin around affects the bottom line of all the charter operations, the hotels, etc., along Baja and the S of C. It's been largely the push by charter operations to release all billfish. They know that billfish are what the average Joe tourist dreams about when thinking of fishing vacations in Mexico. And so, they have a vested interest in seeing them released to lure tourists another day.

If someone could find out a way to make money releasing dorado, then they would be managed well, too.

Everything follows the money in Mexico.................it's cynical, but it's true.

monoloco - 11-14-2013 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

I suspect you must mean scientific numeric support, because the numeric support in pesos is behind the management of Mexican fisheries. Pesos support officials to look the other way at the regs.

Actually, it's largely peso-based management that has caused the marlin fishery to be so well managed. Having lots of marlin around affects the bottom line of all the charter operations, the hotels, etc., along Baja and the S of C. It's been largely the push by charter operations to release all billfish. They know that billfish are what the average Joe tourist dreams about when thinking of fishing vacations in Mexico. And so, they have a vested interest in seeing them released to lure tourists another day.

If someone could find out a way to make money releasing dorado, then they would be managed well, too.

Everything follows the money in Mexico.................it's cynical, but it's true.
I wouldn't say that marlin are well managed here. I've seen the local pangeros stacking them like cord wood, apparently there is a market for illegal fish.

monoloco - 11-14-2013 at 02:38 PM

Here's a couple of shots from today:

msteve1014 - 11-14-2013 at 02:43 PM

It's sad but if it wasn't marlin if would be dorado, or yellowtail, or grouper. The locals are going to catch, and keep, what is there at the time. The grad. students reports will not change that.

ps, Nice catch.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by msteve1014]

Ya Killing ME !!!

captkw - 11-14-2013 at 02:45 PM

another great day on the water.......and I agree about the small boat thing...been a battle my whole with guys and a need a bigger boat syndrome..THe secret is not a bigger boat but,,,A Better boat..BTW Big boats also sink FAST !!!LOL:lol: nice fish !!

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by captkw]

monoloco - 11-14-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
It's sad but if it wasn't marlin if would be dorado, or yellowtail, or grouper. The locals are going to catch, and keep, what is there at the time. The grad. students reports will not change that.

ps, Nice catch.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by msteve1014]
There are regulations, but here on the Pacific, almost ZERO enforcement, from what I have seen, it's pretty much a free for all until it's gone.

CaboMagic - 11-15-2013 at 09:25 AM

monoloco over the years lurking/reading, I congratulate you on several points: living your dream, being respectful of the air, water and land you are on.

I would like to point out that as a charter business in Cabo, I speak w/every person who will be eventually fishing with us (as well as many more who are just looking for the best (as in cheapest) price) Some are fishermen/women from back home and understand every aspect of conservation - some just want to experience something different - some are doing a bucket list trip ..

Striped Marlin are not migratory - like the Blue and Black Marlin are. They are in their breeding grounds, year round. I sometimes use the comparison of goldfish to keep it simple.

Dinero is what propels - and I'd venture to say that in some part of everyone's life it holds true - be it for more, less, or just to cover necessities .. In Cabo, there are those that make money any way they can (and not from any remote level of integrity - some pure desperation, some just greed) including selling fish to local restaurants without commercial licenses (hard and expensive to get) "demand" for product gets the job done.

Have respect for those who demonstrate their respect for the air, water and land ..

Am thankful and appreciative of the ability to work with captains & mates who live/love to be on the water and pair them with visitors who are fulfilling a dream of some kind.

Buen Provecho ... LG