Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Great Fishing In Pescadero (edit) Updated Fotos
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 08:53 AM
Great Fishing In Pescadero (edit) Updated Fotos

There are lots of marlin congregating just offshore, boats are running all the way up here from Cabo. Fortunately, the locals here don't have to spend $500 in fuel to enjoy good fishing. Went out yesterday in rough seas at 9:30am, caught 3 marlin, (kept 2) and was back on the beach by 11:30 with 3/4's of a tank of fuel left.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 08:57 AM

Kept two?? Uh Oh, here it comes.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:00 AM

It's that time of the year, isn't it? I'm on my way.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:04 AM

Smoke em, eat em...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:07 AM

Holy Smokes. You caught marlin from a tin boat? You must be pretty good. Not to mention launching through that surf.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
There were two of us in the boat, it was a legal limit and neither fish would have survived, one had the hook through its eye and the other had two hooks stuck in it's gullet. Not that we wouldn't have kept them anyway because they are great eating.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy Smokes. You caught marlin from a tin boat? You must be pretty good. Not to mention launching through that surf.
I actually think that it's easier from a small boat because you can reel the boat to the fish without fighting the weight of the boat, plus it's easy to slide the fish in over the low transom. The seas were a little tricky getting out yesterday, close swell with steep faces breaking outside on a low tide, we had to wait about 10-15 minutes for a lull we could manage. Timing is everything.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:45 AM

Still, that's pretty impressive.

That's a 13'8" Gregor as far as I can tell. Their rated for about 550lbs. Two guys = 350lbs. Two marlin = 200 lbs. Motor about 100lbs. Ice box and tackle 50lbs(?). And going through the surf. Yahoo!!

Looks like the 'captain' is left handed. I balance my boat that way as well, one on the left and the other on the right.

Those Gregors take a lickin and keep on tickin.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:46 AM
Small boats

I agree..small boats lets you fish 360 degrees and on my small cat its stable as a Rock,dock !! much more fishy than a sport cruiser and faster and a LOT less fuel !!! Not to mention you can drag (tow) it about any where !!!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 09:59 AM

Quote:

Not a comment on the morality of keeping the fish, especially if you are going to eat them. BUT, there have been threads on these boards that have gone on for days about taking billfish.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:

I have to say I'm a little confused by your response. Yesterday you went on a rant about keeping leopard grouper but seem impressed by 2 dead marlin, even before he explained why they kept them.:?:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Still, that's pretty impressive.

That's a 13'8" Gregor as far as I can tell. Their rated for about 550lbs. Two guys = 350lbs. Two marlin = 200 lbs. Motor about 100lbs. Ice box and tackle 50lbs(?). And going through the surf. Yahoo!!

Looks like the 'captain' is left handed. I balance my boat that way as well, one on the left and the other on the right.

Those Gregors take a lickin and keep on tickin.
Joe, It's a 14' Klamath, about the same though. I've been using this one for 13 years and it's holding together well. That 15 hp Honda will get it right up on a plane even loaded with two guys and all their gear, and I usually use 3 gallons of fuel or less on a trip. I have always operated outboards with my left hand, it leaves the right free to handle a rod and reel. I have the boat set up to troll up to 6 lines, but most of the time we troll 3, I have it set up with a two rod holders at different angles within easy reach of my right hand, two on the left side, and two on the transom. I have down rigger clips on the transom that I can clip two lines into to run flat and close, there are many days that those are the most productive lines. I often think that I'd like a bigger boat until I see the guys with larger boats struggle for a half hour getting their boat back on the trailer from the beach, it's just so much easier with a small boat, I can load everything up, drive to the beach, and be out fishing in less than an hour. I think I end up going fishing more than I would with a larger boat, of course two boats would be ideal, I just have to convince my wife of that.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Not a comment on the morality of keeping the fish, especially if you are going to eat them. BUT, there have been threads on these boards that have gone on for days about taking billfish.
Personally, I don't believe in targeting a fish I don't intend to eat. Why go out and deliberately torture and injure a fish, then turn it loose? From what I've experienced around here, marlin are not endangered any more than wahoo, which are an even rarer catch, yet no one would ever release a wahoo.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:32 AM
Hoo's

I'd eat Wahoo any day over a strip....I have seen Hoo's stacked liked cord wood outside of san carlos..(mag bay) If memory serves correct,,, I think its around oct.:cool:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:

I have to say I'm a little confused by your response. Yesterday you went on a rant about keeping leopard grouper but seem impressed by 2 dead marlin, even before he explained why they kept them.:?:

Sometimes I confuse myself as well.

Given that you feel my objections are 'rants' I won't explain. I don't think it would make a bit of difference to you anyway.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:50 AM

You could explain why leopard grouper are off limits, but billfish are ok, in your mind.
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
You could explain why leopard grouper are off limits, but billfish are ok, in your mind.

:smug:

Ok I got to admit I was thinking that too.....

Nice bills by the way Monoloco.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 11:08 AM

A. You misquoted me. I didn't say leopards are off limits. I said that targeting the biggest leopards is harmful to the fishery and should stop.

B. Marlin are the best managed fishery in Baja. It's the only fishery in baja that Mexico has a handle on. The rest are laws without any numerical support.

I've compared it all to Alaskan fishery management in the past. You can look for old threads.

I really don't want to bring all that up on this thread.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:02 PM

Monoloco, your livin the dream, one of the coolest fishing shots I've seen in a while. Heck, you could send someone for ice and get a few waves.
Good stuff, fun report. Thanks :yes:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 10:29 PM

Monoloco, Ive got the same boat and a bigger 25 Wellcraft. Can you guess which one gets used more? Yes, its the 14' Klamath. I somehow loose the feeling of the ocean in the bigger boat.

I can feel the temp breaks barefoot in the Klamath, and it makes me slow down and fish areas harder. Easier to see and smell the signs too.

Id sell the big boat right now, but Id take a huge bath on it, so she sits and waits for the longer runs or an improved boat market.

Keep posting up your fish reports, it helps us poor working guys see a little daylight while we are in the coal mines.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.