BajaNomad

"If you don't know, blame Mexico"

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 02:11 PM

It's really becoming an obsession with the American public and press to point fingers at Mexico and blame them for gang style killings and Cartel involvement. Yet, as evidenced by the recent discovery of the McStay family remains in a characteristic "Mexican-style" cartel killing, only that it happened right here in the good old USA, we have to ask ourselves. Why does Mexico consistently get the bad press? The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico, they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US. Now it may be too late to recoup and recover evidence on this American tragedy.

The Tourism industry and even the State Department issue warnings about visiting Mexico. People, come on. If you live in glass houses, don't throw stones at your neighbor!!

Agree San Diego Sheriff/DA dropped the ball...NOT 1st time

Whale-ista - 11-17-2013 at 02:23 PM

Our proximity to the border seems to work against thorough investigations. It also leads to people escaping into Mexico, in some cases even after authorities have held them in custody. Perhaps tourists should be warned not to visit San Diego?

Here is a case from San Diego that was especially sad. (I teach for the community college District.). The killer escaped into Mexico and was finally apprehended two years later.

From http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/jan/03/parents-murdered-san-di...

"Diana was murdered just two weeks after she told police her estranged husband held her captive for three days during which he allegedly choked and raped her. Janette Gonzalez says Diana finally convinced Perez to return her to her parents' home by promising to reconcile. But as soon as she walked in the house, Janette said Diana barricaded herself in her bedroom. Her mother shooed Perez away, Janette said, and then Diana called the police to file a report.

"She did it right away," Janette said. "She was so sure about what she was doing."

Diana told police Perez had battered her 20 other times. Perez was arrested but released when the district attorney's office declined to prosecute. Janette said that news frightened Diana.

"She had that fear," Janette said. "She was scared. She knew that something else probably could happen to her."

San Diego District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said the case wasn't filed because there was not proof beyond a reasonable doubt. She won't say what evidence was lacking, nor has she told the family."

DENNIS - 11-17-2013 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
It's really becoming an obsession with the American public and press to point fingers at Mexico and blame them for gang style killings and Cartel involvement. Yet, as evidenced by the recent discovery of the McStay family remains in a characteristic "Mexican-style" cartel killing, only that it happened right here in the good old USA, we have to ask ourselves. Why does Mexico consistently get the bad press? The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico, they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US. Now it may be too late to recoup and recover evidence on this American tragedy.

The Tourism industry and even the State Department issue warnings about visiting Mexico. People, come on. If you live in glass houses, don't throw stones at your neighbor!!

There was no conclusive evidence as to anything until a few days back, nor were there statements as to cartel complicity that weren't pure suppositions and bar room guesses.
The bad vid put them in Mexico erroneously...or not. We don't know. They may have entered and exited,....then gone on to meet their fate. I doubt that to be the case. The evidence in their home indicated a quiet, although abrupt departure, and the figures thought possibly to be the family in the vid, showed no evidence of stressful activity or movement.
To try to distance Mexico from cartel activity is chamber of commerce BS.
Who signed you up?

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 02:38 PM

Quote:

"......Yet, as evidenced by the recent discovery of the McStay family remains in a characteristic "Mexican-style" cartel killing, only that it happened right here in the good old USA,...."

The San Bernardino County Sheriff stated in a televised news conference that there was no indication of "Cartel" involvement. If you have information that proves otherwise, please cite your source.

".....The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico, they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US......."

I can find no information that ....." The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico........". Based on the information and evidence/clues at the time, it APPEARED the family MAY have gone to Mexico.

".......... The San Diego Sheriff's department......they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US....."

Really?????.....how do you know????....do you have an inside source at the SD Sheriff's Office, or maybe the San Bernardino Sheriff's Office or maybe the FBI??? Do you know what evidence was recovered???....if so, please share it with us.........you might even want to call the FBI with your information.

You really don't know what was done, where it was done or by who. Why don't you wait for the facts???

David K - 11-17-2013 at 03:14 PM

When asked (often) if I am afraid go to Mexico with the crime there... I respond if they are afraid to leave their homes with the amount of crime in the USA. It is daily here in California, the number of murders and robberies... how can anyone step outside knowing this?

:rolleyes:

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 03:25 PM

No one Dennis. I just feel this was a botched investigation because someone, including the San Diego Sheriff's Department, chose to believe that the family made the "ultimate escape" South of the Border. People would rather believe drama rather than reality. I am not trying to distance cartel activity from Mexico. Neither am I saying that a cartel like activity such as family shallow graves only occur in Mexico.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

There was no conclusive evidence as to anything until a few days back, nor were there statements as to cartel complicity that weren't pure suppositions and bar room guesses.
The bad vid put them in Mexico erroneously...or not. We don't know. They may have entered and exited,....then gone on to meet their fate. I doubt that to be the case. The evidence in their home indicated a quiet, although abrupt departure, and the figures thought possibly to be the family in the vid, showed no evidence of stressful activity or movement.
To try to distance Mexico from cartel activity is chamber of commerce BS.
Who signed you up?

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 03:33 PM

Sorry I forgot to quote my source for my comments:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mcstay-family-disap...

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

"......Yet, as evidenced by the recent discovery of the McStay family remains in a characteristic "Mexican-style" cartel killing, only that it happened right here in the good old USA,...."

The San Bernardino County Sheriff stated in a televised news conference that there was no indication of "Cartel" involvement. If you have information that proves otherwise, please cite your source.

".....The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico, they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US......."

I can find no information that ....." The San Diego Sheriff's department was so smug and self-assured that the family was in Mexico........". Based on the information and evidence/clues at the time, it APPEARED the family MAY have gone to Mexico.

".......... The San Diego Sheriff's department......they never did a proper criminal investigation in the US....."

Really?????.....how do you know????....do you have an inside source at the SD Sheriff's Office, or maybe the San Bernardino Sheriff's Office or maybe the FBI??? Do you know what evidence was recovered???....if so, please share it with us.........you might even want to call the FBI with your information.

You really don't know what was done, where it was done or by who. Why don't you wait for the facts???

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 03:53 PM

Quote:

Ok, that makes things better....NOT.

You are basing your comments on the referenced link to an article in the New York Daily News written by a reporter who has probably never been to San Diego, let alone Victorville.

I would be willing to bet her info came from vairous wire service/media reports.

The guy making the accusations is Joe's father, who by no means has an ax to grind.

And nowhere in the article does it mention "Cartel" involvement ....are you taking a little poetic license???

Maybe you should retitle this thread to:

"If You don't know, STFU"

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 04:13 PM

Thank you very much for that eloquent and polite remark, Bajaguy. I don't think you. Mr. Expert in your field or anyone else knows what happened, so I don't see any harm in tossing the facts around and coming up with something. Others including Vandenberg say it resembles a cartel hit, so excuse me.
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, that makes things better....NOT.

You are basing your comments on the referenced link to an article in the New York Daily News written by a reporter who has probably never been to San Diego, let alone Victorville.

I would be willing to bet her info came from vairous wire service/media reports.

The guy making the accusations is Joe's father, who by no means has an ax to grind.

And nowhere in the article does it mention "Cartel" involvement ....are you taking a little poetic license???

Maybe you should retitle this thread to:

"If You don't know, STFU"

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 04:32 PM

You are welcome!!!

And you are correct, none of the information "released" so far points to any conclusion as to what happened. As far as tossing 'facts' around.......those are not facts, they are "assumptions".

Oh, and yes, I have been qualified as an expert in this specialty field.

Quote:
Thank you very much for that eloquent and polite remark, Bajaguy. I don't think you. Mr. Expert in your field or anyone else knows what happened, so I don't see any harm in tossing the facts around and coming up with something. Others including Vandenberg say it resembles a cartel hit, so excuse me.
Quote:

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 04:55 PM

So Mr. Expert what do you think happened?
Quote:
You are welcome!!!

And you are correct, none of the information "released" so far points to any conclusion as to what happened. As far as tossing 'facts' around.......those are not facts, they are "assumptions".

Quote:
Quote:

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 04:59 PM

Without knowing all of the facts, and without knowing what the San Diego, San Bernardino and FBI "holdback" information is, I don't think anything.

Quote:
Quote:
You are welcome!!!

Quote:
Quote:

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 05:02 PM

Apparently they don't think anything either, because they would have solved the case a long time ago.
Quote:
Without knowing all of the facts, and without knowing what the San Diego, San Bernardino and FBI "holdback" information is, I don't think anything.

Quote:
Quote:
You are welcome!!!

Quote:
Quote:

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 05:06 PM

"Without knowing all of the facts, and without knowing what the San Diego, San Bernardino and FBI "holdback" information is, I don't think anything."

You seemed to have quite a few thoughts about my posting:

BUT YOU DON'T KNOW THAT NOW, DO YOU? ASSUMPTION, ASSUMPTION.

ANOTHER ASSUMPTION.

HE COULD BE TELLING THE TRUTH.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You are welcome!!!

Quote:
Quote:

Lee - 11-17-2013 at 05:08 PM

LE was really busy and like Dennis said, not enough facts available.

Boogie men in MX sells media and the public get's titillated. And the media, LE and others lie to cover their bungling.

US likes blaming other countries for stuff they don't like and right now MX is at The Gate. How many illegals in the US? Anything being done about immigration? No.

sancho - 11-17-2013 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Why does Mexico consistently get the bad press?

Short term memory? While the Mex Cartel violence never
caused me pause about going to Mex, you have to admit,
the reports of bodies hung over Blvds in TJ and headless
bodies found in TJ the area around the Bullring of the Sea
would make even a vetern Baja traveller take notice,
I understand completely the apprehension of the casual
Joe Gringo Baja visitor from the US, these stories were
not fabricated by the US Media, just reported on

DENNIS - 11-17-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
these stories were
not fabricated by the US Media, just reported on

Perfectly true.
I'm not going to continue this conversation here. It serves no purpose but to reopen the can of snakes.
Thanks, Sancho.

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 05:39 PM

ah, another 'expert" opinion. How many homicides/murders have you investigated or solved???

Quote:
Apparently they don't think anything either, because they would have solved the case a long time ago.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You are welcome!!!

Quote:
Quote:

EnsenadaDr - 11-17-2013 at 05:45 PM

I have every right to voice my opinion without an "expert" telling me to STFU. When a patient wants to voice an opinion, without any expertise, I listen and don't tell him to STFU. Not nice at all, especially when you have been making assumptions yourself. I have never claimed to be a crime expert or having solved murders. I do care about what happened to the family however.

mtgoat666 - 11-17-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:

We are all experts at reading the news and pontificating.

Re your supposed expertise, it's questionable outside of a donut shop; Most of us learned to never trust a cop, cops just make assumptions and jump to (usually wrong) conclusions.

DENNIS - 11-17-2013 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
ah, another 'expert" opinion. How many homicides/murders have you investigated or solved???

Not fair, Terry...how many lives have you saved in a hospital?

bajaguy - 11-17-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Not fair, Terry...how many lives have you saved in a hospital?

Life isn't fair, I'm sure she will get over it

805gregg - 11-17-2013 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
When asked (often) if I am afraid go to Mexico with the crime there... I respond if they are afraid to leave their homes with the amount of crime in the USA. It is daily here in California, the number of murders and robberies... how can anyone step outside knowing this?

That's good comming from a guy that chooses to live in the US and only occasionally, briefly, visit Mex

DENNIS - 11-17-2013 at 06:33 PM

Quote:

Life isn't fair, I'm sure she will get over it

Point is....she shouldn't have to.

David K - 11-17-2013 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

That's good comming from a guy that chooses to live in the US and only occasionally, briefly, visit Mex

If I could I would live in Baja and explore every day I could. However, the reality is different. So, I go when I can and share with my fellow Nomads who also can't be there all the time either. Funny but Nomads who live in Baja have told me they enjoy and learn from my writing...?

Some facts and some opinions:

toneart - 11-18-2013 at 11:10 AM

The Mexican Drug Cartels have been operating in California in recent years. Here in the Northern California foothills, they run a lot of the Pot growing fields. It is usually on government forest lands. Although these areas are remote, they are no longer hidden. You can see them on Google maps.

To my knowledge, only the worker drones have been caught occasionally. These fields are polluting our rivers, lakes and streams. These guys are illegals and guard their plots with automatic rifles. I have not read of any Cartel-style violence here. I think the Cartel Jefes stay behind the scenes. They put the workers in the vulnerable positions. But someone has to do the trafficking and distribution. Who?

The police and sheriffs are kept very busy busting (cherry picking) the more accessible growers. It is not as dangerous. They are our citizen neighbors. they are everywhere; from open farm land to backyards in the towns. The smell of pot is everywhere. This is no exaggeration.

The point of this writing is that the Cartels are indeed here! The other point I want to make is, in Mexico the degree of violence and human atrocities is unequaled in modern times. They do wipe out entire families. This is a huge indictment of Mexico, a country where most crimes go unsolved.

This is something that has to be considered in the investigation, now that the whole McStay family has been found slaughtered, Cartel style, and buried in the desert. It does not take much involvement in a drug operation to be targeted; perhaps as little as just being family members of one who is involved.

Crimes of this nature almost always involve drugs and/or some kind of family involvement.

San Diego's proximity to the border and that the family was identified in that video in TJ certainly appears to implicate Mexican Cartels. Why tippie toe around this kind of conjecture?

These conditions exist and as far as those of us who live or travel in Mexico it is a parallel universe. If you or your family have NO involvement with drugs, you will never experience violence unless you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whether or not you travel in fear or if fear prevents you from traveling, that is an individual decision.

EnsenadaDr - 11-18-2013 at 11:52 AM

From what I am reading Tone Art, Joe McStay was renting a bungalow for $850 a month and had trouble paying his rent for years in San Clemente, till buying a repo with tens of thousands of dollars in the bank just 3 months later. Something sounds suspicious, though his family swears he didn't get any supplies or do any dealings with Mexico.

DavidE - 11-18-2013 at 12:05 PM

Briefing:

"What'cha got?"

"Not a damned clue sheriff, but one of our investigators came up with a Tec 2 film of some people crossing south that are impossible to identify"

"Clues? Nothing from the neighbors? Friends? No problems at work? No tax issues? No domestic quarrels?"

"Zero. It's like they vanished into thin air"

"Mexico eh? On film. Hmmm. We're going to run with that. Get that damned monkey off our back. Call the reporters"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try and convince me something like that did not happen.

grizzlyfsh95 - 11-18-2013 at 03:49 PM

Looking at your photo, I expected to see you hunched from the huge chip you carry. You should have called this thread Blame America first.

EnsenadaDr - 11-19-2013 at 07:09 AM

Exactly David. Haha. My take on it as well.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Briefing:

"What'cha got?"

"Not a damned clue sheriff, but one of our investigators came up with a Tec 2 film of some people crossing south that are impossible to identify"

"Clues? Nothing from the neighbors? Friends? No problems at work? No tax issues? No domestic quarrels?"

"Zero. It's like they vanished into thin air"

"Mexico eh? On film. Hmmm. We're going to run with that. Get that damned monkey off our back. Call the reporters"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try and convince me something like that did not happen.

EnsenadaDr - 11-19-2013 at 07:27 AM

Granted, it was and still is a baffling case. Are we sure that the inheritors of the money in the bank and the house (I assume it was totally paid for if it was a repo) didn't want to get rid of everyone that would have a claim to their estate? Horrible thought, but what other motive could there be?

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

DavidE - 11-19-2013 at 05:01 PM

I'm sure the cops looked at that point. After all an arrest and conviction is a feather in their cap as well as the D.A.'s.

Many times the cops will give out misdirection clues so as to trap not only the perps but the fools out there who want to confess to any and every crime.

A really determined killer can make it very hard for cops to catch them. Also civilians are never privvy to cop mechanicals. There could be a list of "Persons of Interest" and we'd never know about it until an arrest was imminent. Just where the bodies were found is a major clue in itself.

EnsenadaDr - 11-20-2013 at 06:35 AM

If they had all that information David, an arrest would have been made before the almost 4 years that they found the bodies. I believe that they had dismissed the case as a Mexico bound escape, but then it makes no sense. Why would they buy an upscale relatively new home in Fallbrook, be in the middle of painting and decorating, and then escape to Mexico? They could have saved that money they spent on the house for their journey and new living accommodations SOB. I believe they will revisit the inheritors once again. Someone could have hired a hit man. Money is the only motive I see here, and killing the children would assure they would get a clean cut of the inheritance.

Bajatripper - 11-20-2013 at 12:58 PM

I was really sad to read this link of what happened to that family. I remember the case well and had hoped for the best.

pauldavidmena - 11-20-2013 at 04:48 PM

@EnsenadaDr - I'm guessing that you knew that the title of this thread would be provocative, but I for one appreciate the premise: that in a vacuum of evidence and motive, if a crime occurs near the Mexican border, it's more expedient to believe that Mexico was somehow involved. I'm not sure if it's just anti-Mexican bias, or the fact that the news media values a scoop more than facts. I'm not old enough to remember Thomas Dewey "winning" the presidency in 1948, but I do remember both Reagan being reported as assassinated in 1981, and the "victory" of Al Gore in 2000.

EnsenadaDr - 11-20-2013 at 07:39 PM

What kind of clue do you get from where the bodies were buried?
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I'm sure the cops looked at that point. After all an arrest and conviction is a feather in their cap as well as the D.A.'s.

Many times the cops will give out misdirection clues so as to trap not only the perps but the fools out there who want to confess to any and every crime.

A really determined killer can make it very hard for cops to catch them. Also civilians are never privvy to cop mechanicals. There could be a list of "Persons of Interest" and we'd never know about it until an arrest was imminent. Just where the bodies were found is a major clue in itself.

suck it up

EdZeranski - 11-20-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
[

Before retiring I worked all over the World and the TV images there can be brutal compared to the USA. Images of Mexican violence included the beheaded bodies hanging from bridges etc. Those were real not made up and influence the way Mexico is seen over the World. Some may have an over arching need to turn their noses up at the US or the reputation of Mexico in the press but the shown images of Mexico have influenced World opinion. When I worked in the Middle East folks were worried when I said I was going to Mexico on vacation. The Middle East for Sh*t sake!! Everyone has heard the bad news...kinda like the rental car hijackings in Miami a few years ago. I guess the big disconnect is folks connecting Baja with the mainland and the problems there. Glass house? Nah!...but I keep enough Windex to clear away BS

:coolup:
EdZ