BajaNomad

Serinidad Hotel

Timo1 - 12-1-2013 at 04:43 PM

We planned our travels around being at SH for the sat. night pig roast

We arrived to find out it wouldn't happen , hasn't happened for some long time , and wouldn't happen anytime soon

ASKED WHY AND THE REPLY WAS (oops caps) there was no people to come there

So we booked a room anyway which was a huge mistake

Bare bones and filthy for 780 pesos/night

We went to Ray's for excellent langosta last night instead.

What a treat !!!

Currently in Lopez Mateos at a hotel for 300 pesos with internet right in our room

Taking the good with the bad and lovin it

David K - 12-1-2013 at 04:49 PM

Very sad... Don Johnson no longer running the place, or just too tired or broke to keep up the standards? He fought so hard against the ejido takeovers, too...

Timo1 - 12-1-2013 at 04:55 PM

DK don't get me wrong...The outside is great and so is the restaurant

To look at

The rooms suk and my breaky was a LOT to be desired

So much potential but just needs the right spark

Simple things like a bar fridge in a room go a long way

TMW - 12-1-2013 at 05:40 PM

We were there a week ago and they served pork on the bone and claimed to have roasted the pig eariler. It was great and all we could eat. But there was no evidence that a pig was roasted as in the old days.

Don Johnson did set with us for a spell but we did not discuss the pig roast. Only three other family/groups there. I believe there just isn't enough people going south. Light traffic on the hwy.

Loreto, La Paz and Cabo San Lucas hotels had few guest. Desert Inn in Loreto had 4 rooms rented on the 18 and 19 of Nov. Restaurant and bar closed. Restaurants in all the towns had small crowds. Like San Felipe without a race.

monoloco - 12-1-2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
We were there a week ago and they served pork on the bone and claimed to have roasted the pig eariler. It was great and all we could eat. But there was no evidence that a pig was roasted as in the old days.

Don Johnson did set with us for a spell but we did not discuss the pig roast. Only three other family/groups there. I believe there just isn't enough people going south. Light traffic on the hwy.

Loreto, La Paz and Cabo San Lucas hotels had few guest. Desert Inn in Loreto had 4 rooms rented on the 18 and 19 of Nov. Restaurant and bar closed. Restaurants in all the towns had small crowds. Like San Felipe without a race.
They must have all came to Pescadero/Todos Santos, the towns are packed. Went out for dinner on Friday and the first two places we wanted to go were so packed we couldn't get in. I counted almost 50 surfers in the water at San Pedrito yesterday morning.

Bajahowodd - 12-1-2013 at 05:59 PM

Serenidad has gotten very long in the tooth. The rooms have had no remodel in a very long time. The reception area and the restaurant are well maintained.

So, what's that about eating at Ray's? I know he died, and I thought the restaurant was closed.

mtnpop - 12-1-2013 at 06:23 PM

Ray's opened a couple of weeks ago... We have not been there but word from those that have are good... still good atmosphere and food.. I understand the wife and she has the same cook and staff....

Don't know for sure but think same menu and someone knows prices...I would think..
Not sure either on the Serenidad,,, thought that the kids were running it and Don is there sometimes... He looks pretty tired last time we saw him..

dtbushpilot - 12-1-2013 at 07:14 PM

Stayed there on the way down, was driving a truck with a camper and trailer and didn't want to drive into town. Saw and spoke with Don, dinner was ok, margaritas were good, room was beyond grim for 780pesos, mattress was hard as a rock and sleep was intermittent.

Kitchen wasn't open in the morning when it should have been, kitchen staff was hanging around outside but nobody had the key. Stopped at a cafe down the road for coffee and an empanada.

Been staying at Serinidad since 1995 mostly flying in. Being rustic isn't a problem for me but they will have to upgrade their rooms if they plan to be competitive.

Timo1 - 12-1-2013 at 07:23 PM

Dave

You must have been there this morning....Same thing ...staff but no key

We were told the restaurant would be open for breakfast at 6 am

The sign on the gate says the gate opens at 6:30...go figure

We finally got breakfast after 7

But it is Mexico and we love these harsh realities we must endure :lol: :lol:

bigboy - 12-1-2013 at 08:11 PM

Timo1

Thanks for the heads up on the old grand hotel. We were talking about staying there tomorrow but now we'll stay at our favorite hotel in Loreto, Coco Cabanas!

Nice to meet you both in Baja Asuncion and hope to see you down here in future travels.

chuckie - 12-2-2013 at 04:12 AM

Dons kids have moved off....There isnt much tourist business in Mulege anymore. I think Don just no longer has the energy nor the rescources to keep it the place we used to love. But grand old man that he is, he keeps hangin in.Its a shame .it was the best for so many years. He is a good friend.

Floatflyer - 12-2-2013 at 07:07 AM

We had breakfast there mid October while driving down. Was fine. Have stayed there almost 100 times since the early 80s, also while flying the peninsula. The Hotel Serenidad was and is a Baja institution, a MUST visit, especially for pilots.

Several years ago Baja Bush Pilots made the decision to base their Whales trips out of Loreto. Reason for change was that the new breed of pilots wanted more amenities than what the Serenidad and Mulege was offering. At the time I thought this was pretty ungrateful for what Don Johnson had done for the flying community over the years. Maybe it was just a sign of the times. What ever, it is a sad day if and when this wonderful place goes away.

Where is Capt'n Mike on this, I know he will have an interesting take of the situation.

capt. mike - 12-2-2013 at 10:20 AM

i know things are bad. Don is very old now, mid 80s if not beyond. Daughters no help. the history is there. We started flying in 1980.

very sad for me just like PSFO going downhill too.

all things change - what can you say? I wish some one with capital would simply buy it and refurb but keep it competitive.

I will be sad when i get word Don passes. He has been a friend for 33 years. BBP going to Loreto was a slap in the face IMHO. Walking the ramp BS ing with 50-70 pilots while walking distance to your room and the great bar and pool is never beat!!

i have not been to baja since memorial weekend 2010. No plans to return for now.

Vince - 12-2-2013 at 10:49 AM

I have been flying into Serenidad since 1974 and will continue doing so. I share the other's sadness over the decline of this very popular hotel but realize nothing lasts forever. I hope Don can improve his situation or sell to someone who can. He has certainly been generous and accommodating to pilots thru the years whether or not they stayed at the hotel. I was there in early November and noticed a pig on the barbecue Sat. afternoon. This tradition will probably pick up when the traffic improves. We all wish Don the best for his family and hotel.

HS

captkw - 12-2-2013 at 11:06 AM

A few years back a family in their plane got highjacked at gun point...I am bad with time/date (lots of Baja)but 6/7 year back and I think that sorta started the decline as folks didn't care for that !! about the only thing that goes fast in Baja is beer and rumors !!! But,I heard from many,,many sorces and in print.. I like many assume its True....Sad...:(:(

LancairDriver - 12-2-2013 at 11:06 AM

I have flown into the Serinidad since the early 80's, and it is without question one of the most unique flyin or drive in destinations in Baja. An accumulation of economic, crime related negative publicity, ejido problems, and multiple hurricane related devastation to Mulege has taken its toll in drastically reducing the tourist traffic they depend on. Don Johnson is a Baja Icon and true gentleman, and has made many friends and contributed immeasurably to Mulege over the years with his warm hospitality. I agree that some outside help and some changes in the economy and hopefully construction of flood controlling dams will eventually turn things around. I intend to support the Serinidad as much as is reasonably possible and hope for a turn in its fortunes.

LancairDriver - 12-2-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
A few years back a family in their plane got highjacked at gun point...I am bad with time/date (lots of Baja)but 6/7 year back and I think that sorta started the decline as folks didn't care for that !! about the only thing that goes fast in Baja is beer and rumors !!! But,I heard from many,,many sorces and in print.. I like many assume its True....Sad...:(:(

That did happen, as well as having at least one airplane stolen from the Serinidad airstrip. Since then, the military has had a permanent presence there and there have been no further incidents.

chuckie - 12-2-2013 at 11:25 AM

Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

Barry A. - 12-2-2013 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

Fore-warned, is fore-armed. I like to know what "bad" has happened, and then take the precautions to avoid it, or at least mitigate it. I do that where ever I am--------just makes sense, to me. However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

LancairDriver - 12-2-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Fore-warned, is fore-armed. I like to know what "bad" has happened, and then take the precautions to avoid it, or at least mitigate it. I do that where ever I am--------just makes sense, to me. However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Right on Barry! My sentiments exactly.

tripledigitken - 12-2-2013 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

...... However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Barry,

I guess you weren't a detective then.

Ken

:lol:

Barry A. - 12-2-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Quote:

...... However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Barry,

I guess you weren't a detective then.

Ken

:lol:

:lol: Right!!!!!--------no "sneak and peak" for me!!! All bed-activity was done on TOP of the bed, both before and after retirement.

Barry

bajaguy - 12-2-2013 at 12:53 PM

The Serinidad, like all businesses anywhere needs to be responsive to their target customer base and change or adapt to the times.

Most people on the road (or in the air) today want phones, internet, in room coffee and in room refrigerators....they want consistancy (In the states I only stay at Holiday Inn express and LaQuints), even in Baja.

Dingy rooms, poor maid service and closed restaurants/sub-par food don't cut it anymore as there always are other places to stay and eat.

The Serinidad was the go-to place for many years, however it did not keep up with the times......I know money is tight and motivation may be lacking, but without upgrades, the Serinidad's days are numbered....unfortunately.

Gone but not forgoten

durrelllrobert - 12-2-2013 at 01:12 PM

RIP

Pompano - 12-2-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
We planned our travels around being at SH for the sat. night pig roast

We arrived to find out it wouldn't happen , hasn't happened for some long time , and wouldn't happen anytime soon

ASKED WHY AND THE REPLY WAS (oops caps) there was no people to come there

So we booked a room anyway which was a huge mistake

Bare bones and filthy for 780 pesos/night

We went to Ray's for excellent langosta last night instead.

What a treat !!!

Currently in Lopez Mateos at a hotel for 300 pesos with internet right in our room

Taking the good with the bad and lovin it

Ouch..Too bad about your accommodations at the Serinadad, Timo1, sadly it is what it is....chalk it up to the poor economy..both in the US and Mexico. Surely hope your next visit (if there is to be one) will be more enjoyable.

It was not always like it is today. Like so many other early visitors to the Mulege area, I found the Serinadad Sat. Night Pig Roasts to be one of the major events to attend. My first pig roasts started in the early 70's and it was thee most attended dinner anywhere on the peninsula for many, many years.

It was a place to meet and enjoy 200 friends. That place created a thousand fond memories for thousdands of us.

I once wrote this about the place..and my thoughts are still the same.

Saturday night was time to revisit the Serindad Pig Roast...a tradition that has been going on at Don & Nancy Johnson's fly-in motel for many decades....the place is a real Baja legend.

Back in the 60's and 70's there was really only one place to go on a Saturday evening in southern Baja...the Serinadad Pig Roast. All the locals & tourists for miles around would congregate here for a great meal of date-fed pork and to visit with a couple hundred or so of their friends. Lots of dancing to the mariachi band filled out the night. The airstrip would jam up with small planes starting Friday and by Sunday they were flying back to the US or on down the peninsula.

This was THEE place where everyone got together for many years...thanks to the Johnsons. The list of successful business owners in Mulege who were once Serinadad employees is very long indeed. Mely's, Las Casitas, etc, etc...so many success stories.

Still going strong after all these years, Don Johnson, who is closer to 90 than 80, is usually there hosting as usual. We recently had a good nostalgic time talking about old times...in one of Baja's old-time & legendary places...the Serinadad. I cannot but admire his tenacity in the face of all the hard work and problems he has endured over the years. Don, my old friend, you deserve a rest.

These photos will tell a bit more...

The décor of the dining and bar areas is quite nice for feasting and listening to the mariachis. I wonder how many Sat. nights I sat at these tables or at the bar, meeting old and new friends? Another great feature of the place, thanks to Don, was getting my mail sent here. Also using the phone when they were super-scarce in this part of the world...back in the day.

Guillermo, the master for over 40 years.

Pic below shows us sitting at the fireplace in 1974...me on far right.

I must be in a rut.....Here I am 40 years later.

There were a few airlines & charters who flew regulary into the Serinadad back in the day. I had some crazy flights on Air Cortez.

Like all small plane strips the world over, this 'pista' had it's share of accidents. Oddly enough this one's landing gear hit the white pickup on the strip...a real Baja snafu.

Don & Nancy Johnson...great people with a ton of Baja history. When Don was an official and then honorary US Consul for 20 years he helped myself and many, many other expats with important matters. Finest kind.

Well Timo1 (and all others), here’s hoping your next visit will be much happier at the Serinadad. I wish the special old place well and hope it can be brought back to its initial health. There truly was not a place like it in Baja Sur.

Bajahowodd - 12-2-2013 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
Ray's opened a couple of weeks ago... We have not been there but word from those that have are good... still good atmosphere and food.. I understand the wife and she has the same cook and staff....

Don't know for sure but think same menu and someone knows prices...I would think..
Not sure either on the Serenidad,,, thought that the kids were running it and Don is there sometimes... He looks pretty tired last time we saw him..

Really good to know. Had a number of great times there. I'll keep it in mind for my next trip.