Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Serinidad Hotel
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 04:43 PM
Serinidad Hotel

We planned our travels around being at SH for the sat. night pig roast

We arrived to find out it wouldn't happen , hasn't happened for some long time , and wouldn't happen anytime soon

ASKED WHY AND THE REPLY WAS (oops caps) there was no people to come there

So we booked a room anyway which was a huge mistake

Bare bones and filthy for 780 pesos/night

We went to Ray's for excellent langosta last night instead.

What a treat !!!

Currently in Lopez Mateos at a hotel for 300 pesos with internet right in our room

Taking the good with the bad and lovin it

sold out and got out !!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 04:49 PM

Very sad... Don Johnson no longer running the place, or just too tired or broke to keep up the standards? He fought so hard against the ejido takeovers, too...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timo1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 04:55 PM

DK don't get me wrong...The outside is great and so is the restaurant

To look at

The rooms suk and my breaky was a LOT to be desired

So much potential but just needs the right spark

Simple things like a bar fridge in a room go a long way

sold out and got out !!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 05:40 PM

We were there a week ago and they served pork on the bone and claimed to have roasted the pig eariler. It was great and all we could eat. But there was no evidence that a pig was roasted as in the old days.

Don Johnson did set with us for a spell but we did not discuss the pig roast. Only three other family/groups there. I believe there just isn't enough people going south. Light traffic on the hwy.

Loreto, La Paz and Cabo San Lucas hotels had few guest. Desert Inn in Loreto had 4 rooms rented on the 18 and 19 of Nov. Restaurant and bar closed. Restaurants in all the towns had small crowds. Like San Felipe without a race.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
We were there a week ago and they served pork on the bone and claimed to have roasted the pig eariler. It was great and all we could eat. But there was no evidence that a pig was roasted as in the old days.

Don Johnson did set with us for a spell but we did not discuss the pig roast. Only three other family/groups there. I believe there just isn't enough people going south. Light traffic on the hwy.

Loreto, La Paz and Cabo San Lucas hotels had few guest. Desert Inn in Loreto had 4 rooms rented on the 18 and 19 of Nov. Restaurant and bar closed. Restaurants in all the towns had small crowds. Like San Felipe without a race.
They must have all came to Pescadero/Todos Santos, the towns are packed. Went out for dinner on Friday and the first two places we wanted to go were so packed we couldn't get in. I counted almost 50 surfers in the water at San Pedrito yesterday morning.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 05:59 PM

Serenidad has gotten very long in the tooth. The rooms have had no remodel in a very long time. The reception area and the restaurant are well maintained.

So, what's that about eating at Ray's? I know he died, and I thought the restaurant was closed.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 06:23 PM

Ray's opened a couple of weeks ago... We have not been there but word from those that have are good... still good atmosphere and food.. I understand the wife and she has the same cook and staff....

Don't know for sure but think same menu and someone knows prices...I would think..
Not sure either on the Serenidad,,, thought that the kids were running it and Don is there sometimes... He looks pretty tired last time we saw him..

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 07:14 PM

Stayed there on the way down, was driving a truck with a camper and trailer and didn't want to drive into town. Saw and spoke with Don, dinner was ok, margaritas were good, room was beyond grim for 780pesos, mattress was hard as a rock and sleep was intermittent.

Kitchen wasn't open in the morning when it should have been, kitchen staff was hanging around outside but nobody had the key. Stopped at a cafe down the road for coffee and an empanada.

Been staying at Serinidad since 1995 mostly flying in. Being rustic isn't a problem for me but they will have to upgrade their rooms if they plan to be competitive.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Timo1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 07:23 PM

Dave

You must have been there this morning....Same thing ...staff but no key

We were told the restaurant would be open for breakfast at 6 am

The sign on the gate says the gate opens at 6:30...go figure

We finally got breakfast after 7

But it is Mexico and we love these harsh realities we must endure :lol: :lol:

sold out and got out !!!
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 08:11 PM

Timo1

Thanks for the heads up on the old grand hotel. We were talking about staying there tomorrow but now we'll stay at our favorite hotel in Loreto, Coco Cabanas!

Nice to meet you both in Baja Asuncion and hope to see you down here in future travels.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 04:12 AM

Dons kids have moved off....There isnt much tourist business in Mulege anymore. I think Don just no longer has the energy nor the rescources to keep it the place we used to love. But grand old man that he is, he keeps hangin in.Its a shame .it was the best for so many years. He is a good friend.

Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 07:07 AM

We had breakfast there mid October while driving down. Was fine. Have stayed there almost 100 times since the early 80s, also while flying the peninsula. The Hotel Serenidad was and is a Baja institution, a MUST visit, especially for pilots.

Several years ago Baja Bush Pilots made the decision to base their Whales trips out of Loreto. Reason for change was that the new breed of pilots wanted more amenities than what the Serenidad and Mulege was offering. At the time I thought this was pretty ungrateful for what Don Johnson had done for the flying community over the years. Maybe it was just a sign of the times. What ever, it is a sad day if and when this wonderful place goes away.

Where is Capt'n Mike on this, I know he will have an interesting take of the situation.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 10:20 AM

i know things are bad. Don is very old now, mid 80s if not beyond. Daughters no help. the history is there. We started flying in 1980.

very sad for me just like PSFO going downhill too.

all things change - what can you say? I wish some one with capital would simply buy it and refurb but keep it competitive.

I will be sad when i get word Don passes. He has been a friend for 33 years. BBP going to Loreto was a slap in the face IMHO. Walking the ramp BS ing with 50-70 pilots while walking distance to your room and the great bar and pool is never beat!!

i have not been to baja since memorial weekend 2010. No plans to return for now.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 10:49 AM

I have been flying into Serenidad since 1974 and will continue doing so. I share the other's sadness over the decline of this very popular hotel but realize nothing lasts forever. I hope Don can improve his situation or sell to someone who can. He has certainly been generous and accommodating to pilots thru the years whether or not they stayed at the hotel. I was there in early November and noticed a pig on the barbecue Sat. afternoon. This tradition will probably pick up when the traffic improves. We all wish Don the best for his family and hotel.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:06 AM
HS

A few years back a family in their plane got highjacked at gun point...I am bad with time/date (lots of Baja)but 6/7 year back and I think that sorta started the decline as folks didn't care for that !! about the only thing that goes fast in Baja is beer and rumors !!! But,I heard from many,,many sorces and in print.. I like many assume its True....Sad...:(:(
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:06 AM

I have flown into the Serinidad since the early 80's, and it is without question one of the most unique flyin or drive in destinations in Baja. An accumulation of economic, crime related negative publicity, ejido problems, and multiple hurricane related devastation to Mulege has taken its toll in drastically reducing the tourist traffic they depend on. Don Johnson is a Baja Icon and true gentleman, and has made many friends and contributed immeasurably to Mulege over the years with his warm hospitality. I agree that some outside help and some changes in the economy and hopefully construction of flood controlling dams will eventually turn things around. I intend to support the Serinidad as much as is reasonably possible and hope for a turn in its fortunes.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
A few years back a family in their plane got highjacked at gun point...I am bad with time/date (lots of Baja)but 6/7 year back and I think that sorta started the decline as folks didn't care for that !! about the only thing that goes fast in Baja is beer and rumors !!! But,I heard from many,,many sorces and in print.. I like many assume its True....Sad...:(:(

That did happen, as well as having at least one airplane stolen from the Serinidad airstrip. Since then, the military has had a permanent presence there and there have been no further incidents.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:25 AM

Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Why do people continue to make such a big deal out of stuff like this? Read the US papers, and check the crime rate in the nearest big city. Then get under the bed and never come out..

Fore-warned, is fore-armed. I like to know what "bad" has happened, and then take the precautions to avoid it, or at least mitigate it. I do that where ever I am--------just makes sense, to me. However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Fore-warned, is fore-armed. I like to know what "bad" has happened, and then take the precautions to avoid it, or at least mitigate it. I do that where ever I am--------just makes sense, to me. However, as a retired cop, I have never been "under the bed" in my life.

Barry

Right on Barry! My sentiments exactly.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.