BajaNomad

Monte Xanic wines at San Diego CostCo

Whale-ista - 12-12-2013 at 10:53 PM

Note sure where this belongs, but FYI: you can get Monte Xanic wines at Costco if you want a taste of Guadalupe Valley without the border wait.

I've enjoyed Monte Xanic for years. I seem to recall that even 20 years ago, this was the price people were willing to pay for a bottle in Mexico City, so those of you in Ensenada or near a CostCo - enjoy!

(Still don't know why my image links won't work...is it a Facebook problem?)

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BajaNomad]

dasubergeek - 12-13-2013 at 09:48 AM

There's also an endcap display of various Baja wines at the Whole Foods in Hillcrest (on University and 7th). The prices are similar to what you pay in Mexican wine stores like G. Salinas and La Contra.

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 09:55 AM

The vinter at Monte Xanic told me that due to Mexican government fees/taxes, you could buy Monte Xanic wines cheaper at COSTCO than in Baja.....would be interesting to do a head-to-head comparison.

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
There's also an endcap display of various Baja wines at the Whole Foods in Hillcrest (on University and 7th). The prices are similar to what you pay in Mexican wine stores like G. Salinas and La Contra.

Hook - 12-13-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
The vinter at Monte Xanic told me that due to Mexican government fees/taxes, you could buy Monte Xanic wines cheaper at COSTCO than in Baja.....would be interesting to do a head-to-head comparison.

That's completely nuts!!!

Actually, I refuse to believe that it's fees/taxes that prices Baja wines so high? Who is the government trying to protect, internally? The beer producers? How is it possible that decent wines from South America, Spain and France come into Mexico and are sold so reasonable? Why are internally produced beers, rums, brandies and vodkas so reasonable?

Part of the high prices of Mexican wine has to be how much the vintners mark it up. I cant see any other reason.

willardguy - 12-13-2013 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Actually, I refuse to believe that it's fees/taxes that prices Baja wines so high? Who is the government trying to protect, internally? The beer producers? How is it possible that decent wines from South America, Spain and France come into Mexico and are sold so reasonable? Why are internally produced beers, rums, brandies and vodkas so reasonable?

Part of the high prices of Mexican wine has to be how much the vintners mark it up. I cant see any other reason.
this was from an earlier discussion about mexican tax on tequila. no question they take a lions share. maybe the same with wine?
http://www.mexicomatters.net/businessmexico/11_tequilabusine...

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 12:18 PM

I believe the "cut" is about 40%........you should hang out in the Guadalupe Valley and talk to some vinters...Miguel Fuentes (Fuentes Winery), Joe Malagon (Malagon Winery), David Bibayoff (Bibayoff Winery), Manuel Ortiz (Madera 5 Winery) or maybe Manuel Delgado (MD Winery). I was told it is cheaper to export.

Also spend some time and explore the wine museum in the Guadalupe Valley where I learned that the King of Spain found the Baja wines so much better than the Spanish wines, he ordered all of the vineyards in Baja destroyed

Quote:
Quote:

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by bajaguy]

Hook - 12-13-2013 at 02:22 PM

How could it be cheaper to export? They dont pay that 40% if the wine is sold for export? That's crazy! If that were the case, why not just export it all??

Well, other than the fact that the wine isn't very good, of course.............the world wine market is a tough crowd.

Mexico is big on protectionism for established industries. But this seems counterproductive for their wine industry and it's not that well established an industry.

I wonder how many bottles the Mexican wine industry is left holding at the end of the "year". They cant be selling everything they produce, can they? Who is buying it?

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 02:39 PM

And that, sir, is your opinion

Quote:

Well, other than the fact that the wine isn't very good, of course......

Hook - 12-13-2013 at 03:04 PM

I have access to probably any wine that the Guadalupe vineyards are shipping to retailers in Mexico. And I noticed a dungload of them at my closest Costco. Tell me what to buy and tell me how much it costs and I'll give some a try. Shall we set an upper limit of 250 pesos for a bottle? Or does it require spending more than that to get a decent bottle of Mexican vino rojo?

If you're going to suggest a wine that is only sold at the winery, then I think it's rather immaterial that you feel Baja wines can compete on the world market. They dont market those to the world market.

capt. mike - 12-13-2013 at 03:14 PM

i have found the Temecula wines to be as good and better than the baja wines. But they often cost more too at least at the wineries when we used to tour the Temecula loop annually.

Hook - 12-13-2013 at 03:39 PM

Wineries are often the most expensive places to buy wine. They have to protect their retailers.

Outside of the large retailers like Wine Exchange, Total Wine or Costco, one can often find great deals on wines at local drug stores like Long's and Rite-Aid ESPECIALLY IN AREAS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO WINE GROWING REGIONS. I found some great deals at drug stores near Paso Robles and Santa Maria.

Baja Wines

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 03:52 PM

Here are just a few

Bodegas Marilena wins two more International Competition Medals with 2011 Malaguena and 2011 Maxixe......a local Ensenada.......

Bodegas Marilena is proud to announce that it has been awarded ONE GOLD and TWO SILVER MEDALS at the single largest International Wine Competition in the World held in Vienna, Austria. www.bodegasmarilena.com

Take your pick:

http://www.mdvinos.com.mx/eng/index.php
Las Nubes
Casa de Piedra
Vina Cava
Madera 5
Adobe Guadalupe
Monte Xanic
http://vinedosmalagon.com/Vinedos-Malagon-Home.html

Quote:
I have access to probably any wine that the Guadalupe vineyards are shipping to retailers in Mexico. And I noticed a dungload of them at my closest Costco. Tell me what to buy and tell me how much it costs and I'll give some a try. Shall we set an upper limit of 250 pesos for a bottle? Or does it require spending more than that to get a decent bottle of Mexican vino rojo?

If you're going to suggest a wine that is only sold at the winery, then I think it's rather immaterial that you feel Baja wines can compete on the world market. They dont market those to the world market.

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by bajaguy]

BajaNomad - 12-13-2013 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista

The URL you used was to a web page where the image was at on FB, it was not a direct URL address for the image itself. FYI. I updated the URL.

Hook - 12-13-2013 at 04:51 PM

Come on, be a little more specific on individual wines instead of just a list of wineries. Are you saying all the wines by these wineries are good?

Whale-ista - 12-13-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

The URL you used was to a web page where the image was at on FB, it was not a direct URL address for the image itself. FYI. I updated the URL.

thank you! I'll read the link more carefully next time.

As for the wine: Can anyone comment on this particular red? Is it worth trying at that price or shall I pass?

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 10:23 PM

I have given you some places to start your research. Since tastes are different, I can't pick the wines I think you would like. My tastes may be, and probably are different than yours.

Each of the wineries I listed have several varieties, Select the varieties that you think you might like and do your own tasting/research.

Quote:
Come on, be a little more specific on individual wines instead of just a list of wineries. Are you saying all the wines by these wineries are good?

Whale-ista - 12-13-2013 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have given you some places to start your research. Since tastes are different, I can't pick the wines I think you would like. My tastes may be, and probably are different than yours.

Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco? I'm more familiar with Monte Xanic whites than their reds.

I hope to be in Ensenada in the coming weeks. It's been many years since I was in the valley. Thank you for the recommendations on vineyards to visit.

Closer to home, I understand the wine bar at San Miguel is very good.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by Whale-ista]

bajaguy - 12-13-2013 at 11:48 PM

Whale.........I am a red drinker and Monte Xanic has several, but they also have a few great white (play on words)!!!:

http://www.montexanic.com.mx/quienesSomosEnglish.php

One winery I forgot to add to the list is Lechuza Vineyards:

http://vinoslechuza.com/

Bodegas Marilena is a private label, mainly being sold to retail outlets, however there is an outlet in San Antonio de las Minas....I can get you the name.

MD winery is located in Uripan, south of Ensenada and Maneadero, at KM 41

All of the others and the museum are in the Guadalupe Valley:

http://www.bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/wineri...

http://www.bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/winemu...

http://www.bajabound.com/events/winecountrymap.php

Quote:
Quote:

Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco? I'm more familiar with Monte Xanic whites than their reds.

I hope to be in Ensenada in the coming weeks. It's been many years since I was in the valley. Thank you for the recommendations on vineyards to visit.

Closer to home, I understand the wine bar at San Miguel is very good.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by bajaguy]

redhilltown - 12-14-2013 at 12:09 AM

I have no idea...but-in general-I'll drink to that!!!!

Hook - 12-14-2013 at 05:57 AM

Ok, thanks for the winery recommendations. I'll chose a few and give them a try. Anyone growing syrah or zins? What white varietals seem to do well there?

BajaNomad - 12-15-2013 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco?

Might need to specify which Costco this was at. I went to one yesterday, and they did not have the Monte Xanic wine. I did not inquire as to which locations carried it.

bajaguy - 12-15-2013 at 12:36 PM

Gran Ricardo is their top shelf

Quote:
Note sure where this belongs, but FYI: you can get Monte Xanic wines at Costco if you want a taste of Guadalupe Valley without the border wait.

I've enjoyed Monte Xanic for years. I seem to recall that even 20 years ago, this was the price people were willing to pay for a bottle in Mexico City, so those of you in Ensenada or near a CostCo - enjoy!

Hook - 12-15-2013 at 01:46 PM

I went to Walmart today, in search of Mexican wines. They had some Domecqs which I avoided as not one of the recommended wines. I never liked theirs, anyway............

They also had two lines from Monte Xanic; the Calixa line in reds and whites and the straight Monte Xanic line.

The straight Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon (believe it was a 2011) was 359 pesos; the most expensive wine that Walmart carried. :rolleyes: More expensive than the Cote-du-Rhones and the reserve wines from various vintners from Argentina. More expensive that even the Crianzas and Riservas from the Rioja region of Spain. I wasnt going to pay THAT amount for a Mexican Cab.

The straight Monte Xanic Chard was 299 pesos; basically, what you might pay for a Patz and Hall, a Beringer Private Reserve or a number of Sonoma County Chard producers. I wasnt going there, either, at that price.

So, I decided to buy the Calixa 2012 Chardonnay. It was still 210 pesos, so not cheap, especially for a white varietal that is apparently their cheapest line.

What are these wines going for in the U.S.?

My search for some Mexican reds from these wineries is probably going to have to wait until after the new year. I dont expect to be going up to Hermosillo until January.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Hook]

bajaguy - 12-15-2013 at 02:43 PM

Calixa is their lowest line, Monte Xanic is one step above, then Limited Edition and finally, the top, Gran Ricardo.

Calixa Chardonnay
Chardonnay 100%.

Production and Aging: Fermentation in stainless steel tanks, no aging.

Appearance: Clear brilliant light straw.

Nose: Citrus, pineapple, nectarine and bananas.

Mouth: Wonderful acidity, refreshing, charming soft citrus and tropical flavors.

Culinary Pairings: Great as an aperitif, compliments cold appetizers like carpaccio and fish in light sauces.

Quote:
I went to Walmart today, in search of Mexican wines. They had some Domecqs which I avoided as not one of the recommended wines. I never liked theirs, anyway............

They also had two lines from Monte Xanic; the Calixa line in reds and whites and the straight Monte Xanic line.

The straight Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon (believe it was a 2011) was 359 pesos; the most expensive wine that Walmart carried. :rolleyes: More expensive than the Cote-du-Rhones and the reserve wines from various vintners from Argentina. More expensive that even the Crianzas and Riservas from the Rioja region of Spain. I wasnt going to pay THAT amount for a Mexican Cab.

The straight Monte Xanic Chard was 299 pesos; basically, what you might pay for a Patz and Hall, a Beringer Private Reserve or a number of Sonoma County Chard producers. I wasnt going there, either, at that price.

So, I decided to buy the Calixa 2012 Chardonnay. It was still 210 pesos, so not cheap, especially for a white varietal that is apparently their cheapest line.

What are these wines going for in the U.S.?

My search for some Mexican reds from these wineries is probably going to have to wait until after the new year. I dont expect to be going up to Hermosillo until January.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Hook]

tripledigitken - 12-15-2013 at 04:26 PM

That's one chard you don't have to worry about being too oakie.

;)

Whale-ista - 12-15-2013 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco?

Might need to specify which Costco this was at. I went to one yesterday, and they did not have the Monte Xanic wine. I did not inquire as to which locations carried it.

These were at Morena blvd. location.

Hook - 12-15-2013 at 06:08 PM

A stainless Chard. Great! Though I like a touch of oak.

So, their lowest line of Chardonnay is 18 dollars at Walmart IN the country of origin...............I have great expectations.

Santiago - 12-16-2013 at 08:07 AM

Hook: Your sarcasim is noted and agreed to, in my case anyway. We love going wine-tasting in Baja; lots of pretty good wine being made, the different wineries are fun to visit and the pride of what they are doing is evident everywhere. Lots of big $$ investing going on in the valley. The associated businesses of hotels, B&B, cafes and dining spots are springing up and quality of experience is important to them. These are all good things.
However, the business of selling their product, the wine itself, is completely baffling to me.

Hook - 12-17-2013 at 07:39 AM

I dont understand how they make it, either, Santiago. Unless the walk-up business at the wineries is keeping them afloat.

Or, maybe the wines ARE that good? I'll be finding out.............

Santiago - 12-17-2013 at 08:01 AM

I had to bug out before finishing my post.
Take L.A. Chetto for example; they make a wide range of product and can do a fairly large volume - where the heck is it going? Why isn't it on the same shelf and price points in my local grocery store as the wine from Chile, Argentina, South America, Australia etc?
I mean, the owners of the winery want to sell their wine, right? And the market still is at work here, at least in some sense. If they have a bunch of unsold wine, then they will start lowering the price until it sells rather than pour it out on the ground, right?
The fact that I don't see it in my store in NorCal must mean that this has already happened - they ARE selling the wine at these prices; the market has already done this.
Who is buying it is an entirely different question and I would love for someone who really knows the wine business in Mexico to speak up. Anyone??

CortezBlue - 12-17-2013 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

FYI
Here in AZ we have a PBS show called, "The Desert Speaks" and they did a show on Valle de Guadalupe, and it features Monte Xanic. Take a look online or on your cable guide to see if it is in your area.

Hook - 12-17-2013 at 08:31 AM

Well, I dont know, Santiago. The wine may NOT be selling where you shop. Wont distributors/importers take the wine back if it doesnt sell at the retail level? They want to keep the retailers happy with wines that move.

That Costco picture blows me away.........50.00 at Costco for a red blend, apparently. Fifty bucks buys an incredible, single-vineyard wine in CA or OZ or WASH or ORE.

I need to stop speculating...........gotta get some of these wines.

tripledigitken - 12-17-2013 at 08:46 AM

Hook,

What was your opinion of the chard?

Ken

Hook - 12-19-2013 at 04:23 PM

I had it last night.

EXCELLENT!!! Really very, VERY good. Possibly the best stainless chard I have had in a long, long time. Maybe ever.

The mineral notes and the fruit were so well balanced and there was some complexity there, too. I never missed my touch of oak. Tasted best a little warmer than right out of the fridge, as many wines do.

It just might be worth 210 pesos.............but what is that selling for at the winery or in the States? This was the 2012.

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Hook]

tripledigitken - 12-19-2013 at 04:28 PM

Hook,

I will try and locate a source in San Diego.

Ken

Quote:
I had it last night.

EXCELLENT!!! Really very, VERY good. Possibly the best stainless chard I have had in a long, long time. Maybe ever.

The mineral notes and the fruit were so well balanced and there was some complexity there, too. I never missed my touch of oak.

It just might be worth 210 pesos.............but what is that selling for at the winery or in the States? This was the 2012.

Santiago - 12-19-2013 at 06:11 PM

Well now, isn't this interesting; Mikee likes it. I haven't stopped by this winery on my last few trips; will swing by next time.

[Edited on 12-20-2013 by Santiago]

Santiago - 12-19-2013 at 06:29 PM

http://buy.winesfrombaja.com//products/brand/Monte-Xanic
Just bought a case from here; 6 of the chard and a mix of others; will report back at some point.

Hook - 12-19-2013 at 09:01 PM

I should add that it borders on being a sweet Chard; at least, sweet as Chards go. You are left with a SLIGHTLY sweet aftertaste. Nothing close to a Chenin Blanc or conventional Riesling or even a Viognier, of course.

Ruta de Vino

huesos - 12-24-2013 at 04:35 PM

So, starting in La Mision, where can I drive ti taste some of these better red wines?

Santiago - 12-24-2013 at 05:03 PM

Take the free road at La Mision. at around 12-13 miles from Hiway 1, turn east towards El Provenir and Francisco Zarco. This puts you close to Monte Xanic and many of the others. about 30 - 45 minutes.
If you want an interesting and non-paved drive, get on the north side of the wash in La Mision and take the road thru San Jose de la Zorra. You will end up in the same spot as the other road, about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how many times you stop for photos and general walking around. An auto can do this but an SUV or pickup is a little better.

Guadalupe Valley

bajaguy - 12-24-2013 at 11:02 PM

Easiest way is to take the toll road towards Ensenada. After the Ensenada toll booth look for the Hwy 3 (Tecate/Route de Vino) ) turn off. Follow Hwy 3 to the first stoplight.....this is San Antonio de las Minas.

Stop in one of the stores and buy a map of the wine route, or print this:

http://www.bajabound.com/events/winecountrymap.php

Also stop at the wine museum if it is open

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos
So, starting in La Mision, where can I drive ti taste some of these better red wines?

The line up:

Santiago - 12-25-2013 at 10:04 AM

[img][/img]

OK - we started the arduous task of tasting the different wines we had shipped to us from Monte Xanic via Vinofrommexico.com.
Last night was the Calixa Chard ($18) that Hook liked - maybe one of the best un-oaked Chards we have in a long time. The last Baja white we had was 3 or 4 years ago and we were not holding our breath. Proof is that SWMBO had 3 out of the 5 glasses we get out of a 750 ml bottle and believe me, that doesn't happen very often. My youngest son, who is in his red-only-wine-snob phase even was impressed.
The price point is too high; you should be able to score this wine for under $10 at a sale. For example, last week Costco had Toasted Head for under $7.
Tonight will be the Chenin Colombard; we'll skip the Rose, saving it for the first warm day of Spring, and on to the reds.
FYI: a case, with tax and shipping, rounded to about $23/bottle.
Stay tuned.:coolup:

Santiago - 12-25-2013 at 04:16 PM

Hmmmmmm, somebody at Mt Xanic knows what they're doing. The Chenin Colombard blend is very well balanced; just enough of the fruit from the chenin blanc to balance the acidity so it doesn't come across as too sweet. This will be a good afternoon wine on a warm day.
I won't comment on the price anymore; it is what it is.
By the way, there was sticker on the bottle indicating this was a silver award winner at the Wine Master Challenge of 2012 held in Portugal.
But, it's well made; I just preferred the Chard.
Beef loin tonight so at least one of the reds later.

Hook - 12-25-2013 at 05:41 PM

Most any wine can get a medal at SOME competition. There are just so many now.

What is that Rosada? Is it a grenache rosé?

Santiago - 12-25-2013 at 06:14 PM

Yes, rose of Grenache.
So-so on the Cab blend, maybe a year or two will even it out. No tanins to speak of. Might as well have been drinking a $6 Merlot from Safeway. A very slight off after taste, not of us could identify it. Good, deep color. I'm stretching here, as you can see.
Am looking forward to the cab/syrah; I've had some somewhere in Baja that I really liked, just can't remember where.

Santiago - 12-26-2013 at 07:42 PM

Well, the Cab/Syrah was a hit. Raves all around. Served with some pretty strong cheeses and held it's own.
50/50 blend and the color ran to very dark (syrah) but the cab nicely smoothed it out. Once again, no tannins, a bit perhaps, but smooth is the strong overlay. This is worth getting, good job all around.
I suspect that the wine makers know who their market is and are blending to that. No real surprise here, but they will need to step up one notch to really get us.

[Edited on 12-27-2013 by Santiago]

Meeting the Enologist

bajaguy - 12-27-2013 at 07:16 PM

If you let me know when you will be in Ensenada, I might be able to set up a meeting or two, and introduce you to the Enologist for Monte Xanic......I'm sure SHE would love to talk wine with you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Well, the Cab/Syrah was a hit. Raves all around. Served with some pretty strong cheeses and held it's own.
50/50 blend and the color ran to very dark (syrah) but the cab nicely smoothed it out. Once again, no tannins, a bit perhaps, but smooth is the strong overlay. This is worth getting, good job all around.
I suspect that the wine makers know who their market is and are blending to that. No real surprise here, but they will need to step up one notch to really get us.

[Edited on 12-27-2013 by Santiago]

Hook - 12-27-2013 at 08:40 PM

How much did that cab/syrah blend cost?

Santiago - 12-27-2013 at 09:21 PM

BG: That'll be fun. I'm more interested in the business side - I just don't understand who is buying the wine at these $.
Hook: $20 or there-about. Since you asked, in a competitive free world market, they would get around $10-$14. Under $10 at TW from time-to-time. Go figure....

Santiago - 12-27-2013 at 09:30 PM

By the way, the answer to my befuddled confusion on the selling and marketing may be as close as many of our local wineries. They are not available in stores, can be had at local resturants (local sourcing is all the rage) and only at the winery - they sell out every year. And at $15-$25 each.
Maybe this is what happens in Guadalupe? If so, I don't see it. Up here, when you go wine tasting, nearly everyone is buying a case or two to take home from 4 or 5 wineries that day. The trunk is full.
In the valley, I see lots of family and friends tasting, having a day out of it, piknikiting, but not many actually buying bottles to take home. Maybe the DF is a big market?

bajaguy - 12-27-2013 at 09:43 PM

Hey, brother, I don't know..........but what I do know is when we go to the Valle, I try and leave my VISA card at home. My wife is a big fan of buying cases of wine....just in case of a ________ (insert man-made or mother nature catstrophic event here).....and I'm not the only one. PS: Roganto only sells by the case.......COSTCO could do a great business in selling livers....mine is almost worn out.

Quote:
By the way, the answer to my befuddled confusion on the selling and marketing may be as close as many of our local wineries. They are not available in stores, can be had at local resturants (local sourcing is all the rage) and only at the winery - they sell out every year. And at $15-$25 each.
Maybe this is what happens in Guadalupe? If so, I don't see it. Up here, when you go wine tasting, nearly everyone is buying a case or two to take home from 4 or 5 wineries that day. The trunk is full.
In the valley, I see lots of family and friends tasting, having a day out of it, piknikiting, but not many actually buying bottles to take home. Maybe the DF is a big market?

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by BajaNomad]

Hook - 12-27-2013 at 10:13 PM

Well, it's tough to cross a border with a case of wine.

bajaguy - 12-27-2013 at 10:27 PM

The one liter per person only applies to people with California drivers licenses and California vehicle registrations....if you have oh, say South Dakota DL and veh reg, CBP will allow you to bring across a "personal consumption" (2 - 3 cases) amount

Quote:

Santiago - 12-28-2013 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Hey, brother, I don't know..........but what I do know is when we go to the Valle, I try and leave my VISA card at home. My wife is a big fan of buying cases of wine....just in case of a ________ (insert man-made or mother nature catstrophic event here).....and I'm not the only one. PS: Roganto only sells by the case.......COSTCO could do a great business in selling livers....mine is almost worn out.

Hey, the next time your wife goes crazy with the plastic at the wineries, remind her that once she and her friend in the back of my pickup were drinking boxed Pinot Grigio using the bottom 3" of cut off plastic water bottles as the 'glass'. The only redeeming characteristic of that stuff was that it was cold and wet.
Very interesting that Roganto only sells by the case (I've never been). What do they make and how much would a case go for?

bajaguy - 12-28-2013 at 08:44 AM

After a tough day of whale watching anything tastes good. Lucky she used a "glass".

Roganto has a 2011 offering called Piccolo. It is advertised as a red house wine, of "ensamble varietal that goes with anything"....whatever that means. A case of 12 runs about 1800 pesos and since we are at about 13:1
looks like it is time to grab another case.

It is an interesting place. Their "production facility" is in a semi industrial area, near the Fender Guitar factory. Think they buy grapes from several sources and process them.....and they only sell by the case.

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, the next time your wife goes crazy with the plastic at the wineries, remind her that once she and her friend in the back of my pickup were drinking boxed Pinot Grigio using the bottom 3" of cut off plastic water bottles as the 'glass'. The only redeeming characteristic of that stuff was that it was cold and wet.
Very interesting that Roganto only sells by the case (I've never been). What do they make and how much would a case go for?

Hook - 12-28-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
The one liter per person only applies to people with California drivers licenses and California vehicle registrations....if you have oh, say South Dakota DL and veh reg, CBP will allow you to bring across a "personal consumption" (2 - 3 cases) amount

Quote:

Yeah, tell that to the two CPB agents when I showed up with my SD plated car and SD DL. No go, they said. I was asking a theoretical question to them; I did not have cases of wine.

But no matter. I cant imagine bringing cases of wine FROM Mexico, anyway. Even if the M.X. wines are all good, their price point will be beaten by many wines at Total Wine or Wine Exchange.

Santiago - 12-28-2013 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
But no matter. I cant imagine bringing cases of wine FROM Mexico, anyway. Even if the M.X. wines are all good, their price point will be beaten by many wines at Total Wine or Wine Exchange.

Totes magotes.

Hook - 1-23-2014 at 07:35 AM

Santiago, what vintage was that cab/syrah mix you had? I just bought a 2011 at Walmart but I cant read the year on your bottle.

I'll try mine in a few days. It was in the low 200s, I believe, price wise.

CBP info

bajaguy - 1-23-2014 at 08:15 AM

I have known people who have printed this out and crossed with up to three mixed cases (12 bottles each) of wine and presented it to the CBP booth...non-SENTRI lanes, and crossed with no problems, but again, it is up to the individual officer

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/212

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol someone may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP Officer could require you to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license before releasing it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, tell that to the two CPB agents when I showed up with my SD plated car and SD DL. No go, they said. I was asking a theoretical question to them; I did not have cases of wine.