Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Monte Xanic wines at San Diego CostCo
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 10:53 PM
Monte Xanic wines at San Diego CostCo

Note sure where this belongs, but FYI: you can get Monte Xanic wines at Costco if you want a taste of Guadalupe Valley without the border wait.

I've enjoyed Monte Xanic for years. I seem to recall that even 20 years ago, this was the price people were willing to pay for a bottle in Mexico City, so those of you in Ensenada or near a CostCo - enjoy!

(Still don't know why my image links won't work...is it a Facebook problem?)

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BajaNomad]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 09:48 AM

There's also an endcap display of various Baja wines at the Whole Foods in Hillcrest (on University and 7th). The prices are similar to what you pay in Mexican wine stores like G. Salinas and La Contra.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 09:55 AM

The vinter at Monte Xanic told me that due to Mexican government fees/taxes, you could buy Monte Xanic wines cheaper at COSTCO than in Baja.....would be interesting to do a head-to-head comparison.

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
There's also an endcap display of various Baja wines at the Whole Foods in Hillcrest (on University and 7th). The prices are similar to what you pay in Mexican wine stores like G. Salinas and La Contra.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
The vinter at Monte Xanic told me that due to Mexican government fees/taxes, you could buy Monte Xanic wines cheaper at COSTCO than in Baja.....would be interesting to do a head-to-head comparison.

That's completely nuts!!!

Actually, I refuse to believe that it's fees/taxes that prices Baja wines so high? Who is the government trying to protect, internally? The beer producers? How is it possible that decent wines from South America, Spain and France come into Mexico and are sold so reasonable? Why are internally produced beers, rums, brandies and vodkas so reasonable?

Part of the high prices of Mexican wine has to be how much the vintners mark it up. I cant see any other reason.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Actually, I refuse to believe that it's fees/taxes that prices Baja wines so high? Who is the government trying to protect, internally? The beer producers? How is it possible that decent wines from South America, Spain and France come into Mexico and are sold so reasonable? Why are internally produced beers, rums, brandies and vodkas so reasonable?

Part of the high prices of Mexican wine has to be how much the vintners mark it up. I cant see any other reason.
this was from an earlier discussion about mexican tax on tequila. no question they take a lions share. maybe the same with wine?
http://www.mexicomatters.net/businessmexico/11_tequilabusine...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 12:18 PM

I believe the "cut" is about 40%........you should hang out in the Guadalupe Valley and talk to some vinters...Miguel Fuentes (Fuentes Winery), Joe Malagon (Malagon Winery), David Bibayoff (Bibayoff Winery), Manuel Ortiz (Madera 5 Winery) or maybe Manuel Delgado (MD Winery). I was told it is cheaper to export.

Also spend some time and explore the wine museum in the Guadalupe Valley where I learned that the King of Spain found the Baja wines so much better than the Spanish wines, he ordered all of the vineyards in Baja destroyed

Quote:
Quote:

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by bajaguy]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 02:22 PM

How could it be cheaper to export? They dont pay that 40% if the wine is sold for export? That's crazy! If that were the case, why not just export it all??

Well, other than the fact that the wine isn't very good, of course.............the world wine market is a tough crowd.

Mexico is big on protectionism for established industries. But this seems counterproductive for their wine industry and it's not that well established an industry.

I wonder how many bottles the Mexican wine industry is left holding at the end of the "year". They cant be selling everything they produce, can they? Who is buying it?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 02:39 PM

And that, sir, is your opinion

Quote:

Well, other than the fact that the wine isn't very good, of course......

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 03:04 PM

I have access to probably any wine that the Guadalupe vineyards are shipping to retailers in Mexico. And I noticed a dungload of them at my closest Costco. Tell me what to buy and tell me how much it costs and I'll give some a try. Shall we set an upper limit of 250 pesos for a bottle? Or does it require spending more than that to get a decent bottle of Mexican vino rojo?

If you're going to suggest a wine that is only sold at the winery, then I think it's rather immaterial that you feel Baja wines can compete on the world market. They dont market those to the world market.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 03:14 PM

i have found the Temecula wines to be as good and better than the baja wines. But they often cost more too at least at the wineries when we used to tour the Temecula loop annually.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 03:39 PM

Wineries are often the most expensive places to buy wine. They have to protect their retailers.

Outside of the large retailers like Wine Exchange, Total Wine or Costco, one can often find great deals on wines at local drug stores like Long's and Rite-Aid ESPECIALLY IN AREAS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO WINE GROWING REGIONS. I found some great deals at drug stores near Paso Robles and Santa Maria.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 03:52 PM
Baja Wines

Here are just a few

Bodegas Marilena wins two more International Competition Medals with 2011 Malaguena and 2011 Maxixe......a local Ensenada.......

Bodegas Marilena is proud to announce that it has been awarded ONE GOLD and TWO SILVER MEDALS at the single largest International Wine Competition in the World held in Vienna, Austria. www.bodegasmarilena.com

Take your pick:

http://www.mdvinos.com.mx/eng/index.php
Las Nubes
Casa de Piedra
Vina Cava
Madera 5
Adobe Guadalupe
Monte Xanic
http://vinedosmalagon.com/Vinedos-Malagon-Home.html

Quote:
I have access to probably any wine that the Guadalupe vineyards are shipping to retailers in Mexico. And I noticed a dungload of them at my closest Costco. Tell me what to buy and tell me how much it costs and I'll give some a try. Shall we set an upper limit of 250 pesos for a bottle? Or does it require spending more than that to get a decent bottle of Mexican vino rojo?

If you're going to suggest a wine that is only sold at the winery, then I think it's rather immaterial that you feel Baja wines can compete on the world market. They dont market those to the world market.

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by bajaguy]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista

The URL you used was to a web page where the image was at on FB, it was not a direct URL address for the image itself. FYI. I updated the URL.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 04:51 PM

Come on, be a little more specific on individual wines instead of just a list of wineries. Are you saying all the wines by these wineries are good?

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

The URL you used was to a web page where the image was at on FB, it was not a direct URL address for the image itself. FYI. I updated the URL.

thank you! I'll read the link more carefully next time.

As for the wine: Can anyone comment on this particular red? Is it worth trying at that price or shall I pass?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 10:23 PM

I have given you some places to start your research. Since tastes are different, I can't pick the wines I think you would like. My tastes may be, and probably are different than yours.

Each of the wineries I listed have several varieties, Select the varieties that you think you might like and do your own tasting/research.

Quote:
Come on, be a little more specific on individual wines instead of just a list of wineries. Are you saying all the wines by these wineries are good?

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
I have given you some places to start your research. Since tastes are different, I can't pick the wines I think you would like. My tastes may be, and probably are different than yours.

Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco? I'm more familiar with Monte Xanic whites than their reds.

I hope to be in Ensenada in the coming weeks. It's been many years since I was in the valley. Thank you for the recommendations on vineyards to visit.

Closer to home, I understand the wine bar at San Miguel is very good.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by Whale-ista]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 11:48 PM

Whale.........I am a red drinker and Monte Xanic has several, but they also have a few great white (play on words)!!!:

http://www.montexanic.com.mx/quienesSomosEnglish.php

One winery I forgot to add to the list is Lechuza Vineyards:

http://vinoslechuza.com/

Bodegas Marilena is a private label, mainly being sold to retail outlets, however there is an outlet in San Antonio de las Minas....I can get you the name.

MD winery is located in Uripan, south of Ensenada and Maneadero, at KM 41

All of the others and the museum are in the Guadalupe Valley:

http://www.bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/wineri...

http://www.bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/winemu...

http://www.bajabound.com/events/winecountrymap.php

Quote:
Quote:

Are you familiar with the one being sold at Costco? I'm more familiar with Monte Xanic whites than their reds.

I hope to be in Ensenada in the coming weeks. It's been many years since I was in the valley. Thank you for the recommendations on vineyards to visit.

Closer to home, I understand the wine bar at San Miguel is very good.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by Whale-ista]

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by bajaguy]

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 12:09 AM

I have no idea...but-in general-I'll drink to that!!!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 05:57 AM

Ok, thanks for the winery recommendations. I'll chose a few and give them a try. Anyone growing syrah or zins? What white varietals seem to do well there?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.