BajaNomad

Oil wells in Sea of Cortez?

Cypress - 12-15-2013 at 09:49 AM

Mexico is set to relax laws governing oil exploration etc. by foreign oil companies. There are oil deposits under the Sea of Cortez. Any thoughts?

Good News ?

MrBillM - 12-15-2013 at 10:41 AM

An aid to the Local Economy ?

And, don't the platforms encourage Marine Life ?

I suppose they won't do it, but the drilling rigs can be made attractive like they were (are ?) in Long Beach Harbor.

David K - 12-15-2013 at 10:57 AM

Pemex explored Baja in the 1950's, drilled some test wells, and found nothing... mostly near Scammon's Lagoon. I have a feeling that the Sea of Cortez ocean floor is too new for petroleum???

I doubt if there are sufficent oil reserves in the SoC to warrent the investment for exploration.

durrelllrobert - 12-15-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Mexico is set to relax laws governing oil exploration etc. by foreign oil companies. There are oil deposits under the Sea of Cortez. Any thoughts?

Here's one link for what's going on:
Jakarta Globe
Sorry, that link doesn't work. Try this one instead:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-12/mexico-lower-house-passes-oil-overhaul-to-break-state-monopoly.html

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by durrelllrobert]

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Here's what the US Government is doing

durrelllrobert - 12-15-2013 at 11:18 AM

Ryan-Murray budget deal includes new deepwater oil exploration in Gulf of Mexico
Washington : DC : USA | Dec 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM PST By JOHNTHOMAS DIDYMUS

The bipartisan budget deal announced Tuesday night includes a provision for implementation of the 2012 US-Mexico Transboundary Hydrocarbons Agreement that would open up new areas of the western Gulf of Mexico for deepwater oil and gas exploration.
The agreement concluded in February 2012 by then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton anticipated the expiration of a moratorium on oil and gas exploration in the Western Gap area of the Gulf of Mexico in 2013 and establishes a framework for oil and gas activity in the area approved jointly by the US and Mexican governments.
The moratorium covered a 1.5 million-acre area of the western Gulf. According to the Interior Department's Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, the area contains an estimated 172 million barrels of oil and 304 billion cubic feet of natural gas.
An important aspect of the US-Mexico agreement, as part of the Ryan-Murray budget deal, is the inclusion of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act financial reporting standards which oil and gas industry operators had wanted waived.
The demand for waiver of the reporting standards led to a dispute that delayed finalizing agreement.
Bloomberg reports that the American Petroleum Institute (API) was forced to drop its demand for waiver of the Dodd-Frank standards in October to allow conclusion of the agreement.
However, API is backing a US House of Representatives legislation that would approve the US-Mexico Transboundary Hydrocarbon Agreement but waive the Dodd-Frank reporting standards which require that oil and gas companies file reports on payments related to "resource extraction" activity made to the US and foreign governments.
The agreement comes at a time that US crude production has reached a new high due to introduction of new technological solutions such as hydraulic fracturing which have opened up new reserves of oil and gas in shale formations

Bajaboy - 12-15-2013 at 01:48 PM

Pemex has explored a lot of the areas outside of Asuncion near the mountains so who knows. So much for the Biosphere being a protected area. But in the end, big oil always gets its way.

David K - 12-15-2013 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Pemex has explored a lot of the areas outside of Asuncion near the mountains so who knows. So much for the Biosphere being a protected area. But in the end, big oil always gets its way.

But Pemex is owned by Big Government! :light::lol:

Barry A. - 12-15-2013 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

-----which has led them to fall way behind in technology. New sources of petroleum are being found all the time with modern tech. methods.

Barry

rts551 - 12-15-2013 at 02:15 PM

Quote:

But God put oil on this earth just so we could have it that way.:lol:

Its ours to use and abuse.

Bajaboy - 12-15-2013 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

But God put oil on this earth just so we could have it that way.:lol:

Its ours to use and abuse.

Yes, I know...a very wise woman once said, drill baby drill....words to live by...right?!

Bajaboy - 12-15-2013 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

David, Big Government is owned by Big Oil and others....:light: One day you will figure it out:lol:

Whine, Whine, Whine

MrBillM - 12-15-2013 at 03:25 PM

Back in the '50s-'60s living in So Cal, there were Oil Wells EVERYWHERE and nobody gave them a second thought.

I remember telling a younger friend about surfing Huntington Cliffs in the '60s and staring across PCH at the HUNDREDS of well derricks. The only thing that bothered us was getting the muck on our Bodies and Boards.

He thought it was B.S. until I showed him a photo I found taken from Huntington Beach pier looking North in 1960.

As a grade-school kid, we used to play in the Oil Fields in Norwalk after school.

And, it was FUN.

rts551 - 12-15-2013 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Back in the '50s-'60s living in So Cal, there were Oil Wells EVERYWHERE and nobody gave them a second thought.

I remember telling a younger friend about surfing Huntington Cliffs in the '60s and staring across PCH at the HUNDREDS of well derricks. The only thing that bothered us was getting the muck on our Bodies and Boards.

He thought it was B.S. until I showed him a photo I found taken from Huntington Beach pier looking North in 1960.

As a grade-school kid, we used to play in the Oil Fields in Norwalk after school.

And, it was FUN.

Hmmmm muck all over while enjoying the beach. sounds like fun...and a muck covered Yellow tail sounds just yummy... save on the cost of vegetable oil.

David K - 12-15-2013 at 03:44 PM

I grew up on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego). A bottle of kerosene and a rag was used to remove tar from our feet. Some oil comes naturally from the seafloor too.

Bajaboy - 12-15-2013 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
I grew up on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego). A bottle of kerosene and a rag was used to remove tar from our feet. Some oil comes naturally from the seafloor too.

And exposure to kerosene can cause brain damage:light:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=514&tid=91

bajaguy - 12-15-2013 at 04:13 PM

The Trilateral Commission, the Bilderbergs, the Masons, Skull & Bones, black helicopters and the boogyman. Oh, and don't forget Nancy Pelosi and her hubby Paul. :lol:

Quote:
David, Big Government is owned by Big Oil and others....:light: One day you will figure it out:lol:

msteve1014 - 12-15-2013 at 04:15 PM

We still get tar on our feet in Oxnard. I think most of it seeps out of the sea floor. In the hills around here you see seeps all the time. Big business is only trying to help by keeping the oil levels in check.:light:

durrelllrobert - 12-15-2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

And exposure to kerosene can cause brain damage:light:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=514&tid=91

While I was attending college in the late '50s I had a night job at a large aerospace company and that job was as a "Publications Assistance". That title meant that every night I had the privilege of cleaning all the off-set printing presses using trichloroethylene (TCE) that was later classified as a carcinogen carrying an R45 risk phrase, may cause cancer.
Guess that's what's wrong with my conservative thinking. :lol:

David K - 12-15-2013 at 04:48 PM

In 1983 I worked a year for a company that made parts for aircraft and military satellite dishes... after doing assembly we took the pieces outside to a hot MEK tank to spray off any grease/ oil before the piece could get painted. They had a gas mask for us to wear, but that didn't stop all the fumes. M.E.K. is one of those fun things that worked, but are not healthy for life. LOL

freediverbrian - 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM

Most of the tar balls were not from the oil Riggs but from seepage. Oil drilling releaves the pressure saving the beaches from pollution. ;)

chippy - 12-15-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:

How did we not go to school together? I donīt remember you at Earl Warren or San Dieguito? What up wit dat?

Barry A. - 12-15-2013 at 05:12 PM

In San Diego and Coronado back in the 50's and on, we had beach tar from the Navy ships, it was said------never did know if that was true. We sure had a good time, anyway, but yes we had to use kerosene to clean our feet quite often.

We also had soot on our cars in Coronado if we left them out-----the soot was from the Navy airplanes overhead, we understood. I minor inconvenience when compared to what the Navy provided for Coronado--------never heard anybody complain, but then Coronado is a Republican town to this day. :light: :lol:

Barry

DianaT - 12-15-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
.... but then Coronado is a Republican town to this day. :light: :lol:

Barry

But fortunately, they have been represented in Congress by Democrats --- before Susan Davis, and now Scott Peters --- that is a good thing. :biggrin:

A few years back, one of the leaders of the Ejido in Bahia Asuncion told us there was interest in leasing a large piece of the Ejido land for an oil refinery --- out near the San Roque area! I hope that is a dead horse.

rts551 - 12-15-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Barry

But fortunately, they have been represented in Congress by Democrats --- before Susan Davis, and now Scott Peters --- that is a good thing. :biggrin:

A few years back, one of the leaders of the Ejido in Bahia Asuncion told us there was interest in leasing a large piece of the Ejido land for an oil refinery --- out near the San Roque area! I hope that is a dead horse.

no no. Diana.... We can provide Kerosene and MEK to each family to clean - up after a day of fishing...

David K - 12-15-2013 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
Quote:

How did we not go to school together? I donīt remember you at Earl Warren or San Dieguito? What up wit dat?

We sold the beach house (3010 Sandy Lane, If I recall correctly) about 1964-1965 (after the tidal wave evacuation signs were posted in front of our home following the Alaskan earthquake)... By the time I was in Jr. High, we lived outside of Escondido and I went to Valley Center School for 7th and 8th grade... Orange Glen for high school (Class of 1976).

Barry A. - 12-15-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

WHAT????? Tell me that is not so! I have many friends in Coronado, and now my sister lives there too, and they all say "Coronado is still a Republican town". You can't trust ANYBODY anymore!!! It's SO confusing!!!

Barry

DianaT - 12-15-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

WHAT????? Tell me that is not so! I have many friends in Coronado, and now my sister lives there too, and they all say "Coronado is still a Republican town". You can't trust ANYBODY anymore!!! It's SO confusing!!!

Barry

It is true my friend, http://scottpeters.house.gov/about/our-district

Before Coronado was included in the Susan Davis District.

Scott did not win by a lot, but he was running against Brian Bilbray --- so that helped. :biggrin:

CortezBlue - 12-15-2013 at 07:03 PM

And of course the oil drilling technology has not changed since the 50's in some folks mind.

The reality is that the 27th amendment in Mexico is being changed to allow foreign investment for oil exploration and allow Pemex to become a public oil company.

Bajaboy - 12-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
And of course the oil drilling technology has not changed since the 50's in some folks mind.

The reality is that the 27th amendment in Mexico is being changed to allow foreign investment for oil exploration and allow Pemex to become a public oil company.

Really....did we not have a major disaster just a few years back?! I guess if you pretend it didn't happen, then it didn't.

acadist - 12-15-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

Really....did we not have a major disaster just a few years back?! I guess if you pretend it didn't happen, then it didn't.

Don't you watch commercials? Come back to the gulf ;D

Getting Tarred by the Navy ?

MrBillM - 12-15-2013 at 08:29 PM

Probably not.

That Beach Tar is pretty thick. Like Crude and unlike processed products.

Although, when I worked at Bethlehem Steel, we used some SAE 400 Gear Lube on the open gear-trains of the overhead Cranes.

Doubtful that the Navy ships did, though.

Speaking of the Navy at Coronado, when we moored our sailboat at the Port District "Embarcadero" (Laurel Street) mooring, we would often just before dark, notice a sheen of oil streaming "seemingly" from the Navy docks. Given the consistent T.O.D. of such "streams", there was the suspicion that they were not accidental discharges.

chumlee57 - 12-15-2013 at 10:04 PM

this is interesting, but the truth is that as technology and progress moves ahead, so do civilizations ( people ) folks who won't consider this progressiveness ( nowadays ) are the same folks who want people to live in the stone age, makes little sense to me. Oil is the lifeblood of prosperity right now, obviously they are not proposing 1960's technology but jeeez, look at how far we have come. Not thinking the SOC is in any danger, but, given the economic benefit to all of mexico, this is a no brainer for the vast majority of the growing middle class I.E. jobs, energy, growth that could benefit the northern hemisphere, have mexico, us and canada become what NAFA's concept was all about. I know I will be villified for this post, but, the truth and reality are always easy targets

willardguy - 12-15-2013 at 11:08 PM

you will probably be vilified for misspelling vilified but other than that, you're golden!:lol:

Skipjack Joe - 12-16-2013 at 12:34 AM

Quote:

I have a feeling that the Sea of Cortez ocean floor is too new for petroleum???

Agreed. The deep ocean rift caused by the separation of two earth plates that created the Sea of Cortez makes it unlikely to have any oil in my opinion as well. Perhaps the area around the mouth of the colorado, near san felipe, but probably not.

DavidE - 12-16-2013 at 01:34 PM

Explanation PETROLEUM EXPLORATION

A place where billions of pesos can be invested without accountability because there is no tangible product.

$300,000 expenses
$700,000 wages
$1,900,000,000 miscellaneous